PDA

View Full Version : Constructive Criticism for Activism Tactics

KingTheoden
10-09-2007, 12:01 AM
It has come to my attention from a friend that some Ron Paul supporters she encountered at a school in western North Carolina, while spirited, do not appropriately conduct themselves in attempting to gain support for the good doctor. What I am told is that there is a contingent that pesters people with yelling and weirdness.

I cannot confirm these reports, however am given to believe them to be the case. It is my hope this is an isolated incident that will be corrected. But I think it is important to review tactics and strategies to avoid turning off people for Ron Paul.

Physically demonstrating everyday (unless there is enormous demand and the school is large) is not a good idea. A Ron Paul week is a good plan and so is having a booth or table on the weekends. Remember, we have over 90 days until the primaries begin- it is unreasonable to think you can demonstrate every day and by stopping at some point, it could give the impression that the campaign is on the downswing.

Second, when making a physical presence, appearance and demeanor are CRITICAL. As a proud salesman, I work hard to 'become the part.' As a customer, I have walked out on bad service, which can include inappropriate attitude, dress, or the inability to explain a product and its competitors. So, when selling Ron Paul in person, please consider the following:

Have a point. A sign that says 'voter registration' near a table of well-dressed, snappy young adults is great. Be sure to have forms for multiple states. Hand out the Ron Paul Issues flyer. Don't be pushy, but certainly encourage conversation. Before all of this, be sure to familiarize yourself with Ron Paul's positions.

My friend, who is a big Ron Paul supporter, told me that the bizarre antics of the above described RP supporters embarrassed her. I am not quite on the level of Mr. Romney in the looks department, but I do have great success in working with people because of my seriousness, clarity of mission, and confidence. I dress professionally (button down with slacks and belt...and combed hair!) and act professionally. If you look like you are high or drunk or that you slept only two hours in the past week, you will not attract supporters.

At my college, I am working on having some ice cream event so that people can gather for something fun, pick up pocket Constitutions, and register to vote. But the key is to NOT get in peoples face with a lot of yelling a la Alex Jones.

We have to take this movement mainstream not my compromising our devotion to the Constitution and liberty but by being well-disciplined soldiers/salesmen/economists/teachers. Ask yourself, Are my actions helping or hurting Ron Paul? Believe me, you can tell what is working and what is not.

Again, I think this is the exception and hope to work with other North Carolina folks to rectify the situation. But I would like activists to really consider my advice here and chime in with their observations.

Hope
10-09-2007, 01:33 AM
I'm not sure I get it. What exactly were the bizarre antics?

I work with a group of RP supporters on a western NC campus. I'd really appreciate it if you told the whole story here so we know what's going on.

Revolution9
10-09-2007, 01:47 AM
It has come to my attention from a friend that some Ron Paul supporters she encountered at a school in western North Carolina, while spirited, do not appropriately conduct themselves in attempting to gain support for the good doctor. What I am told is that there is a contingent that pesters people with yelling and weirdness.

I cannot confirm these reports, however am given to believe them to be the case. It is my hope this is an isolated incident that will be corrected. But I think it is important to review tactics and strategies to avoid turning off people for Ron Paul.

Physically demonstrating everyday (unless there is enormous demand and the school is large) is not a good idea. A Ron Paul week is a good plan and so is having a booth or table on the weekends. Remember, we have over 90 days until the primaries begin- it is unreasonable to think you can demonstrate every day and by stopping at some point, it could give the impression that the campaign is on the downswing.

Second, when making a physical presence, appearance and demeanor are CRITICAL. As a proud salesman, I work hard to 'become the part.' As a customer, I have walked out on bad service, which can include inappropriate attitude, dress, or the inability to explain a product and its competitors. So, when selling Ron Paul in person, please consider the following:

Have a point. A sign that says 'voter registration' near a table of well-dressed, snappy young adults is great. Be sure to have forms for multiple states. Hand out the Ron Paul Issues flyer. Don't be pushy, but certainly encourage conversation. Before all of this, be sure to familiarize yourself with Ron Paul's positions.

My friend, who is a big Ron Paul supporter, told me that the bizarre antics of the above described RP supporters embarrassed her. I am not quite on the level of Mr. Romney in the looks department, but I do have great success in working with people because of my seriousness, clarity of mission, and confidence. I dress professionally (button down with slacks and belt...and combed hair!) and act professionally. If you look like you are high or drunk or that you slept only two hours in the past week, you will not attract supporters.

At my college, I am working on having some ice cream event so that people can gather for something fun, pick up pocket Constitutions, and register to vote. But the key is to NOT get in peoples face with a lot of yelling a la Alex Jones.

We have to take this movement mainstream not my compromising our devotion to the Constitution and liberty but by being well-disciplined soldiers/salesmen/economists/teachers. Ask yourself, Are my actions helping or hurting Ron Paul? Believe me, you can tell what is working and what is not.

Again, I think this is the exception and hope to work with other North Carolina folks to rectify the situation. But I would like activists to really consider my advice here and chime in with their observations.

Another control freak whiner. Do you guys ever give up? Yer usually docker and polo shirt types and want everyone to follow your borg-like example. A clue.. Don't come on here with unsubstantiated hearsay and make demands. I for one will totally ignore your demands and speak to your control freak issues. This is NOT a neoconservative campaign but one from the Heart of America. And it is diverse,,and does not like control freaks. Your type ALWAYS sprout the fear rhetoric of loss and driving folks away. Seems like our tactics do the opposite of your claim. And you tell people to cut back their demos.. Why? You are a lousy strategist.

Somnambulists are best served by the Fred Thompson campaign.

Randy

MsDoodahs
10-09-2007, 03:25 AM
Yelling at people, pestering people...bad ideas, and I hope either you've been misinformed and that isn't really happening, or that it is a very isolated incident.

I wouldn't take to being hollered at or pestered - who would?

If the person doing the hollering/pestering appeared to be way outside the norm, I'd think the person was insane. That would cause me to say "oh, yeah, love that guy" and get the hell away from the hollering/pestering potentially insane person, lol.

I sure wouldn't be attracted to their "message," not even a little bit. In fact, I'd probably dismiss whatever message they were promoting. So if they were promoting RP and I didn't know anything about RP, I'd be less likely to look into RP.

Hope
10-09-2007, 06:06 AM
Yelling at people, pestering people...bad ideas, and I hope either you've been misinformed and that isn't really happening, or that it is a very isolated incident.

If the person doing the hollering/pestering appeared to be way outside the norm, I'd think the person was insane. That would cause me to say "oh, yeah, love that guy" and get the hell away from the hollering/pestering potentially insane person, lol.

I sure wouldn't be attracted to their "message," not even a little bit. In fact, I'd probably dismiss whatever message they were promoting. So if they were promoting RP and I didn't know anything about RP, I'd be less likely to look into RP.

Here's the thing. He's basically making accusations about the tactics being used at a western NC university -- but it's all second hand information AND he's being so purposefully vague about it that it's quite possible it sounds worse than it is.

The way he went on and on about how we should "dress snappy" makes me think he or his friend is overreacting. He did mention yelling, but we have no idea of the circumstances at hand -- it's entirely possible the RP supporters were waving signs in traffic, someone asked who RP was, and they yelled back because you can't hear anything otherwise.

The OP should very plainly state what it is he heard of the 'incident' and why it bothers him...or he should STFU. As it stands, I don't really care for him getting on his high horse telling us how to conduct ourselves to the public. :rolleyes:

thehittgirl
10-09-2007, 06:35 AM
I just make sure my clothes are clean and neat, not ripped and preferably wearing my Ron Paul revolution shirt.

Because this is a grassroots campaign, I want to look like an average American. I prefer the down to earth dress.

kylejack
10-09-2007, 06:41 AM
I know a lot of potential Ron Paul supporters who would never talk to a guy in Dockers and a tucked in shirt. Do whatever works, but don't presume that a slacker or a headbanger or a skater or someone wearing urban wear can't promote Ron Paul. It takes all types.

KingTheoden
10-09-2007, 07:41 AM
Another control freak whiner. Do you guys ever give up? Yer usually docker and polo shirt types and want everyone to follow your borg-like example. A clue.. Don't come on here with unsubstantiated hearsay and make demands. I for one will totally ignore your demands and speak to your control freak issues. This is NOT a neoconservative campaign but one from the Heart of America. And it is diverse,,and does not like control freaks. Your type ALWAYS sprout the fear rhetoric of loss and driving folks away. Seems like our tactics do the opposite of your claim. And you tell people to cut back their demos.. Why? You are a lousy strategist.

Somnambulists are best served by the Fred Thompson campaign.

Randy

Randy-

You do not get it. I have been supporting Ron Paul FROM THE START. If required, I would probably donate my left testicle if that meant Ron Paul would be our next President. Getting Ron Paul elected is pretty much my mission for the next year.

Specifically what were the complaints? Primarily that the Ron Paul people were badgering others at the university but were not offering any point. No voter registration forms, no discussion of issues, etc. I don't want to say anything else because I guess I'll be accused of being an old Fred supporter...

This information comes to me from a good friend who herself is and has been a BIG Ron Paul booster. Look, I am not trying to start trouble, I posted this thread in an effort to hopefully prevent or stop bad tactics. I think we came to a consensus that associating Ron Paul with 9/11 inside job stuff is a really bad idea. Well, wearing a strange death shirt looking like a zombie is similarly not going to be the best way to help attract voters.

One has to realize that a campaign is like a production facility and it is incumbent on us to assess what techniques yield the most product (or in this case, voters).

I am sorry if people misinterpreted my post, by no means am I suggesting even a significant minority fall into this category. As everyone can see, I have strongly advocated taking this revolution to the physical world in the form of registration drives, literature distribution, etc., as I have done myself.

KingTheoden
10-09-2007, 07:48 AM
Here's the thing. He's basically making accusations about the tactics being used at a western NC university -- but it's all second hand information AND he's being so purposefully vague about it that it's quite possible it sounds worse than it is.

The way he went on and on about how we should "dress snappy" makes me think he or his friend is overreacting. He did mention yelling, but we have no idea of the circumstances at hand -- it's entirely possible the RP supporters were waving signs in traffic, someone asked who RP was, and they yelled back because you can't hear anything otherwise.

The OP should very plainly state what it is he heard of the 'incident' and why it bothers him...or he should STFU. As it stands, I don't really care for him getting on his high horse telling us how to conduct ourselves to the public. :rolleyes:

Fine, call me an agent provocateur, a prep, someone on a high horse. What you are not willing to accept is a pinch of constructive criticism. If it makes people happy, I will post up specifics that will unduly embarrass well-meaning activists.

Remember guys, we need to attract more people to the campaign for obvious issues of winning the primaries and to finance the campaign. I can tell you, for an absolute fact, there are affluent people I know who are on the sidelines because they do not want to be associated with the 5% fringe/weirdness that has associated itself with the campaign.

I don't know if I am communicating this the best way because most people posting up are in disagreement with my position. Please consider that if I sounded trenchant in my posts, it was not my goal and probably a result of exhaustion and pressure.

ronpaulfan
10-09-2007, 07:52 AM
Watch "The Ron Paul News Channel" - It has stick-figure animation illustrating what KingTheoden is talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK8lMqrcc0E

KingTheoden
10-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Watch "The Ron Paul News Channel" - It has stick-figure animation illustrating what KingTheoden is talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK8lMqrcc0E

Brilliant idea! This is what I call direct marketing!

speciallyblend
10-09-2007, 07:59 AM
keep those polo peeps out of colorado,here if you are not wearing snowboard or ski gear,we kick you out of our state. NCarolina needs to be given back to the british(sarcasm) I'm from NC/VA(Communistwealth of VA) both states could be given back to the british wouldnt hurt my feelings. Colorado says NO STUFFY PEOPLE ,thats why we deport them to NC, though there are some smart libertarians in the western part.

MsDoodahs
10-09-2007, 08:01 AM
I know a lot of potential Ron Paul supporters who would never talk to a guy in Dockers and a tucked in shirt. Do whatever works, but don't presume that a slacker or a headbanger or a skater or someone wearing urban wear can't promote Ron Paul. It takes all types.

Not saying they can't promote RP - I'm saying that if a slacker/headbanger/skater/urban attired person came towards me hollering something, I'd walk away without taking their literature or talking to them.

Further, if they proceeded to pester me, I doubt I would ever consider that cause in the future, as I would associate it with that incident.

Not saying they can't promote him, I'm saying that would be my reaction and I doubt I'm the only one who would react this way.

Ozwest
10-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Fine, call me an agent provocateur, a prep, someone on a high horse. What you are not willing to accept is a pinch of constructive criticism. If it makes people happy, I will post up specifics that will unduly embarrass well-meaning activists.

Remember guys, we need to attract more people to the campaign for obvious issues of winning the primaries and to finance the campaign. I can tell you, for an absolute fact, there are affluent people I know who are on the sidelines because they do not want to be associated with the 5% fringe/weirdness that has associated itself with the campaign.

I don't know if I am communicating this the best way because most people posting up are in disagreement with my position. Please consider that if I sounded trenchant in my posts, it was not my goal and probably a result of exhaustion and pressure.

Another snob fixated on every tired detail of a annuses whilst searching for bretheren who are similarily infactuated.

KingTheoden
10-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Another snob fixated on every tired detail of a annuses whilst searching for bretheren who are similarily infactuated.

This is what I'm talking about. I think this thread has experienced its full life cycle. Mods have my support to close this.

kylejack
10-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Not saying they can't promote RP - I'm saying that if a slacker/headbanger/skater/urban attired person came towards me hollering something, I'd walk away without taking their literature or talking to them.

Further, if they proceeded to pester me, I doubt I would ever consider that cause in the future, as I would associate it with that incident.

Not saying they can't promote him, I'm saying that would be my reaction and I doubt I'm the only one who would react this way.
But if they were dressed in slacks and a button down and hollering at you, you would be receptive? My point is that this has very little to do with dress code and everything to do with behavior, and we don't all have to turn in to Young Republican-clones to promote Ron Paul. I don't know why you brought up "hollering" when I was discussing his comments on dress code.

MsDoodahs
10-09-2007, 08:30 AM
No - the hollering and pestering is the problem.

If you add to that ... expressive and colorful dress ;) , quite frankly, I'd be totally put off by it.

Ozwest
10-09-2007, 08:40 AM
This is what I'm talking about. I think this thread has experienced its full life cycle. Mods have my support to close this.

Didn't intend offending you, but we are not a protected species... It is time for the hunted to become the hunters... Sometimes the herd stops running from its attackers and realizes the power of its numbers.

lucius
10-09-2007, 08:55 AM
This is not exactly your garden variety, same-old same-old bullshit means-nothing campaign, but your revolution. Wherever your passion, drive, inclinations take you, along with your money/materials--go!

Do something rather than nothing.

If your environment requires specifics, adjust to it.

Peace and Paxil too all!

Revolution9
10-09-2007, 09:19 AM

blah blah blah..,makes me run away.

Randy

Revolution9
10-09-2007, 09:20 AM
Randy-

You do not get it. I have been supporting Ron Paul FROM THE START. If required, I would probably donate my left testicle if that meant Ron Paul would be our next President. Getting Ron Paul elected is pretty much my mission for the next year.

Specifically what were the complaints? Primarily that the Ron Paul people were badgering others at the university but were not offering any point. No voter registration forms, no discussion of issues, etc. I don't want to say anything else because I guess I'll be accused of being an old Fred supporter...

This information comes to me from a good friend who herself is and has been a BIG Ron Paul booster. Look, I am not trying to start trouble, I posted this thread in an effort to hopefully prevent or stop bad tactics. I think we came to a consensus that associating Ron Paul with 9/11 inside job stuff is a really bad idea. Well, wearing a strange death shirt looking like a zombie is similarly not going to be the best way to help attract voters.

One has to realize that a campaign is like a production facility and it is incumbent on us to assess what techniques yield the most product (or in this case, voters).

I am sorry if people misinterpreted my post, by no means am I suggesting even a significant minority fall into this category. As everyone can see, I have strongly advocated taking this revolution to the physical world in the form of registration drives, literature distribution, etc., as I have done myself.

Assume..assume..assume..

Randy

KingTheoden
10-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Okay let me try again.

Just do what works. If the vast majority of people cannot get away from you soon enough, consider what you might be doing wrong. If you have people gathered around your table listening to your pitch, keep it up!

The last thing I would want to do is be telling other Ron Paul Revolutionaries how to act. On my campus I am seeing people of all walks advocate for Ron Paul in different ways from what I am doing to wearing custom/guerrilla Ron Paul 08 tee shirts they made.

Golden Rule of the campaign: Are my actions best supporting Ron Paul's candidacy? I have answered no on some things I was doing and changed appropriately.

Anyway we are all on the same team here, I am sincerely sorry for inadvertently causing a distraction this morning.

Hope
10-10-2007, 02:39 AM
You aren't "protecting" anyone if you passive aggressively mention some specifics of the case in question but not others. I wasn't asking you to give the full story because I was trying to be mean. I was asking for the full story so that as an activist in western NC I can be fully aware of what's going on here. It wasn't that I can't take constructive criticism -- quite the opposite. I just took you for being purposefully coy in you original post. I'd really appreciate if you told me the whole story; feel free to send me a message privately if that's what you're comfortable with.