PDA

View Full Version : First GOP-centered Stump Speech

GunnyFreedom
03-20-2010, 12:13 PM
The vid is not nearly as impressive as the actual thing. Problem is I have no photo or viseo expertise outside of myself. The front 10sec is missing, the audio is not the best, it's a little shaky... The vid makes it look like a bases-empty single or double, while everyone who was there will call it a 2-run homer.

So I'm working on increasing the quality of my photos and video, but in the interim, here is the vid:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGohYJD--mI

low preference guy
03-20-2010, 12:20 PM
private video?

GunnyFreedom
03-20-2010, 12:22 PM
private video?

Shouldn't be -- the Tube's been acting funny lately let me check those setting real quick...

ETA -- OK fixed. Apparently a 3rd party upload defaluts to "private" now and one had to go fix it to make it public.

TCE
03-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Yeah, not working for me either.

GunnyFreedom
03-20-2010, 12:30 PM
I can guarantee that it is set to "public" now. :confused:

But there has been some real weirdness on the board with sharing the link. Ever time I post the link, it just deletes it altogether. I had to remove the http:// before the vid block will show up. Even when I post it as a link on text it just deletes the link and the text that I linked.

So I may have to wait until this afternoon to post it again before that works properly

In any case, it is now officially public, and I have 5 views on it, so it may be working...NOW for the time being.

low preference guy
03-20-2010, 12:41 PM
working now

GunnyFreedom
03-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks!

As I mentioned, I'm working with the videographer to improve the quality of the recording, whereas in many cases the video is more impressive than the actual event, in this case the actual event was far more impressive than the video. I'm getting all kinds of Republicans contacting me today to tell me how very impressed they are.

Thanks to all who helped perfect the speech. Many of those little details made all the difference!

TCE
03-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Alright, it's working. I'll give criticism every 30 seconds, since it's better coming from us than affecting your race.

0:30: I know I've said this before, but I think your mention of Gerald Ford really detracts from your message. I would give the quote and leave out who said it, it's famous enough that people know it.

1:00: I would drop the part about the "junk science." Your district is too Blue to be able to win on the global warming rhetoric, since a lot of Democrats and even some Republicans believe in global warming (the Neo-Cons are beginning to as well). Talk about the economic impact instead and focus on that. The economy is the hot button right now, and people are blaming the Democrats for how bad it is.

1:30: The education cuts from history before 1877 is confusing to me. Elaborate? Otherwise, this was perfect.

2:00: Perfect. Keep it.

2:30: Same.

3:00: Unless your district is cognizant of what nullification is, I would say something like "strike down President Obama and the Democratic Congress's individual mandate to force all of us to buy health insurance." Otherwise, you're good.

3:30: Here you backtrack in the last 15 seconds. I would take it out, even though I know you believe it. Either that or change it, since you criticize Lucy Allen and Governor Perdue a couple minutes ago but now you want to give them more power? I would reword it to say give power back to North Carolinians and take it away from President Obama and the Democratic Congress.

4:00: I would add at the 3:59 mark something about the banker bailouts. Spell out what you mean, that might be a great applause point. "I oppose the trillions of dollars in banker bailouts and will oppose any other bailouts proposed by Governor Perdue, such as the (if you guys had a bailout. I have heard North Carolina did have a problem where they bailed out a company and it didn't work out.)

4:30: Nice. I would like my line up there to garner an applause in there.

5:00: Keep it, although I would have let the applause go on a second or two longer, but I am splitting hairs.

5:44: I cannot begin to say how awesome that last 15 seconds was.

Another comment: I would go over the speech several times to yourself in the mirror. I know it sounds stupid, but it really works. Get it down to the point where you're rarely if ever looking at your notes. Make as much eye contact with the audience as possible. And finally, SMILE! You're not a career politician, be happy. :)

For a first speech and not being a professional politician, that was pretty incredible.

Aratus
03-20-2010, 12:58 PM
the school standards and history prior to 1877 as in any--- namedropping edmund burke's speech
on concilliation is ecclectic, even though most american school children are more familiar with patrick henry.
why and how we split with britain is something that may be on the SATs and is not useless information.
innate rights in terms of john locke & natural law is not blackstone or edmund burke defining privilege
and the art of constitutional monarchies. madison's layered & seperated levels of gov't is prior to 1877!

Aratus
03-20-2010, 01:03 PM
TCE has a point. you take 3 to 5 minutes to build up to something akin to an ole fashion'd
rhetorical florrish. if you could get a faster quicker drumbeat going, and a steady tripod, you
might sizzle in your next few videos. be not afraid of paragraphs, stand back an' look sorta at
the ceiling in a wise manner when quickly reciting the same. raise thy voice when delivering
a punch line as you also scan the audiance from side to side! try not to read from a page that
seems suspended some 14 inches in front of thy eyes dead on to the camera lens. try to quip
or joke... sometimes you can take pauses, hopefully for applause. try to get an eye contact up!

amy31416
03-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Really, really strong finish Gunny. Bravo!

TCE
03-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Bump. 31 views.