PDA

View Full Version : Google TV Ads?!

itshappening
03-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Check out this post on LRC:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/53656.html

Watch the video, the guy is running ads and reaching millions of viewers on Glenn Beck reruns and it cost him only $1300

This could be a major weapon for the grassroots, especially if we can produce ads and convince donors to chip in. we could use it to promote and boost our candidates on TV.

Most candidates have a problem with 'name recognition' so getting them on TV legitimizes them and boosts them against more establishment type candidates. Schiff is a good example, many people in CT don't know who he is and think McMahon is the front runner because she's all over TV.

Trevor or someone else needs to look into this IMO and maybe Larry can help.

What do people think of this??

UtahApocalypse
03-19-2010, 02:38 PM
wow!! We could own the overnight cable ads. I think we need to get working on this.

itshappening
03-19-2010, 02:39 PM
this is a game changer...

tremendoustie
03-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Check out this post on LRC:

[/URL][URL]http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/53656.html (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/53656.html)

Watch the video, the guy is running ads and reaching millions of viewers on Glenn Beck reruns and it cost him only $1300

This could be a major weapon for the grassroots, especially if we can produce ads and convince donors to chip in. we could use it to promote and boost our candidates on TV.

Most candidates have a problem with 'name recognition' so getting them on TV legitimizes them and boosts them against more establishment type candidates. Schiff is a good example, many people in CT don't know who he is and think McMahon is the front runner because she's all over TV.

Trevor or someone else needs to look into this IMO and maybe Larry can help.

What do people think of this??

That's a great idea. I would also love to see ads that weren't about any particular candidate, but just freedom in general.

itshappening
03-19-2010, 02:58 PM
That's a great idea. I would also love to see ads that weren't about any particular candidate, but just freedom in general.

I dont know, the idea is to boost name recognition

Many of our candidates are up against establishment, well know maybe a Lt. Gov, or as we see with Rand a secretary of state. Someone who has been embedded in the political process and already an "insider".

This makes it difficult for candidates to break through but if we can get them on TV it makes them more real in the eyes of the sheeple and it seems it wouldnt cost the earth

Nate-ForLiberty
03-19-2010, 03:06 PM
OMG! Aravoth FTW!!

tremendoustie
I dont know, the idea is to boost name recognition

Many of our candidates are up against establishment, well know maybe a Lt. Gov, or as we see with Rand a secretary of state. Someone who has been embedded in the political process and already an "insider".

This makes it difficult for candidates to break through but if we can get them on TV it makes them more real in the eyes of the sheeple and it seems it wouldnt cost the earth

Definitely I agree with this purpose too.

I'm just saying, in places where there isn't a liberty candidate running, a general message ad might get people's attention. People are used to seeing political ads, but probably not something like that.

tremendoustie
OMG! Aravoth FTW!!

hells yeah :D

Nate-ForLiberty
03-19-2010, 03:17 PM
we need to get some Peter Schiff Ads on MSNBC and CNBC.

*What's really cool about this is that we can set specific fund raising goals instead of arbitrary money bombs.

Nate-ForLiberty
03-19-2010, 03:57 PM
this should stay bump if not temp stickied

sevin
03-19-2010, 04:01 PM
we need to get some Peter Schiff Ads on MSNBC and CNBC.

*What's really cool about this is that we can set specific fund raising goals instead of arbitrary money bombs.

Exactly! This is amazing. I'm surprised how affordable it is to show an ad to that many people.

UtahApocalypse
03-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Step One: Lets decide what ad we need to make
Step Two: Create the Ad
Step Three: Fundraising
Step Four: Place Ad
Step Five: Repeat from Step one.

This is how the Ames Ad went. it took 36 hours from concept to final ad paid for.

tremendoustie
03-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Step One: Lets decide what ad we need to make
Step Two: Create the Ad
Step Three: Fundraising
Step Four: Place Ad
Step Five: Repeat from Step one.

This is how the Ames Ad went. it took 36 hours from concept to final ad paid for.

What are we advertising, precisely?

UtahApocalypse
03-19-2010, 04:04 PM

I think it should not be Candidate, or State specific. the hot topic now is health care so maybe something along that line that then leads to information on a liberty perspective.

Nate-ForLiberty
03-19-2010, 04:05 PM

how about an ad for Kokesh?

Nate-ForLiberty
03-19-2010, 04:15 PM
I think it should not be Candidate, or State specific. the hot topic now is health care so maybe something along that line that then leads to information on a liberty perspective.

wait! what about an anti-income tax ad? We could create a youtube channel dedicated to income tax info. The TV ad could tell people to visit.

Sentinelrv
03-19-2010, 04:17 PM
this should stay bump if not temp stickied

I agree! We could even put up ads criticizing the Federal Reserve to wake people up.

specsaregood
03-19-2010, 04:17 PM
wait! what about an anti-income tax ad?

While I like that, how about an HR1207 or anti-bank, anti-federal reserve ad.

Nate-ForLiberty
03-19-2010, 04:18 PM
While I like that, how about an HR1207 or anti-bank, anti-federal reserve ad.

because it's tax season. what's the deadline? april something...

specsaregood
03-19-2010, 04:20 PM
because it's tax season. what's the deadline? april something...

15th.
Of course they could be tied together. What does our income tax go to paying for anyways? ;)

awake
03-19-2010, 04:21 PM
I smell a google TV ad bomb...

brandon
03-19-2010, 04:22 PM
I really like this idea.

Nate-ForLiberty
03-19-2010, 04:22 PM
15th.
Of course they could be tied together. What does our income tax go to paying for anyways? ;)

oooh, we could have a series of similar ads. The first one draws you in with the income tax and then we hit them with the bailout and then the fed and then 1207

specsaregood
03-19-2010, 04:33 PM
I like the idea; but on a sidenote, I'm wondering how long until the 4chan people find out about this and decide to run memes nationwide....

Nate-ForLiberty
03-19-2010, 04:37 PM
I like the idea; but on a sidenote, I'm wondering how long until the 4chan people find out about this and decide to run memes nationwide....

free market. i imagine this will drive the price of late night ads up. i'm sure that the networks can decide what they allow to run, too.

Chieftain1776
03-19-2010, 04:43 PM
A slight tanget...it said that it got out to over 1.3 million people but only 1,000 actually went to the website. I wonder if that means Treyson's anti-Rand smear site will only get that small percentage of hits as well.

Nate-ForLiberty
03-19-2010, 04:54 PM
A slight tanget...it said that it got out to over 1.3 million people but only 1,000 actually went to the website. I wonder if that means Treyson's anti-Rand smear site will only get that small percentage of hits as well.

1,000 is an exact number. 1.3 million is an estimate. Not only that, but their ad ran during late night reruns of Beck. Just because the TV was on doesn't mean anyone was still awake.

brandon
03-19-2010, 04:56 PM

Yea I was thinking about these numbers too. They paid $1300 for 1000 website visitors, or $1.30 per person. You can get better advertising rates on the internet.

SO I would say television advertising is not the best way to drive people to a website. It could still be good for promoting a candidate though.

tremendoustie
03-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Yea I was thinking about these numbers too. They paid $1300 for 1000 website visitors, or $1.30 per person. You can get better advertising rates on the internet.

SO I would say television advertising is not the best way to drive people to a website. It could still be good for promoting a candidate though.

I think traffic driving to a website from a TV ad is probably of higher quality than clickthroughs. Plus, there's the issue of perceived legitimacy for ideas, which is very important. People tend to respect ideas on TV, but the perception is that "anyone can buy an internet ad".

Nate-ForLiberty
03-19-2010, 05:07 PM

I would disagree on your conclusion. I think it was their ad itself that failed. The images were not very gripping. A better example of a TV ad driving people to a website would be 1999's "Whatisthematrix.com". Gripping images that really got people's attention.

RCA
03-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Count me in.

VegasPatriot
03-19-2010, 05:39 PM
This is amazing. I now know what my next video project is... a 30-60 second Oath Keepers TV ad. I have yet to try and make a TV type ad for OK, but I made a couple of RP TV type ads from my first RP video in 2007. Looks like I won't be sleeping much this weekend.:D

LibertarianfromGermany
03-19-2010, 06:16 PM

If you type in an url you see on TV, it means that you're usually more interested than when you just click on a link on the internet. So while you may get a little less hits, behind the hits you get the people tend to be more interested.

Nate-ForLiberty
03-19-2010, 08:20 PM
//

Anti Federalist
03-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Calling Aravoth and GhoeberX

rprprs
03-19-2010, 08:42 PM
free market. i imagine this will drive the price of late night ads up. i'm sure that the networks can decide what they allow to run, too.

Yep, this. I bet it won't take long before some "criteria" magically appear. Criteria that we somehow don't meet. :rolleyes:

itshappening
03-20-2010, 05:14 AM
we need to own off peak on FOX, 1300 bucks to reach 1 million people

imagine if we raised a war chest...

JohnEngland
03-20-2010, 07:44 AM
Perhaps I'm missing something really obvious here, but how exactly does this whole Google TV Ads thing work?!

Surely the time slots for commercials are already taken up by businesses and companies that can afford to pay a lot of money for their ads to be shown. How does Google, with dirt cheap ads, possibly manage to compete with the rest?

Again, perhaps I'm missing something obvious, or don't know how advertising works on cable TV, but it seems incredible that anyone can create cheap ads for cable giants like Fox News and CNN.

Obviously it somehow works though... Hmm...

AdamT
03-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Perhaps I'm missing something really obvious here, but how exactly does this whole Google TV Ads thing work?!

Surely the time slots for commercials are already taken up by businesses and companies that can afford to pay a lot of money for their ads to be shown. How does Google, with dirt cheap ads, possibly manage to compete with the rest?

Again, perhaps I'm missing something obvious, or don't know how advertising works on cable TV, but it seems incredible that anyone can create cheap ads for cable giants like Fox News and CNN.

Obviously it somehow works though... Hmm...

In the Slate example they ran ads very late night-early morn 2am-6am. That's why they were so cheap. It was unclear if they ran in a specific region or indeed nationwide. I would be very surprised if they ran nationwide for those prices.

I managed many grassroots ad buys during the 08 campaign in something like 15 states, and I can assure you for proper time slots you pay very high dollar. Prime time is the most expensive, sometimes $1000s/spot. Bottom line is you get what you pay for....it's all about the number of people watching at a specific time of the day. Also, different networks cost different prices. It's like a puzzle putting the best combination together.

LibertarianfromGermany
03-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Yep, this. I bet it won't take long before some "criteria" magically appear. Criteria that we somehow don't meet. :rolleyes:

Which would give us some nice publicity again. In any case; it'll be much better than if we never try and I can't see anything negative coming out of it (providing the ad is done well).

Free Moral Agent
03-20-2010, 01:10 PM
This is so powerful! I wonder how the ad screening process works. Surely the networks have guidelines as to what can be aired, but how does one know if your ad made the cut? If it doesn't do you get your money back? Whats the approval time?

ForLibertyFight
03-20-2010, 05:58 PM
bump

VegasPatriot
03-20-2010, 06:13 PM
I have started the process of setting up a TV campaign through Google AdWords. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of information concerning the specifics; I don't have all of the billing account information to proceed. I will post updates asap. In the meantime... I made this video today as a potential TV ad for Oath Keepers. Constructive criticism welcomed...

YouTube - Oath Keepers Sheriff Mack Ad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEaFGwR21yw)

rprprs
03-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Which would give us some nice publicity again. In any case; it'll be much better than if we never try and I can't see anything negative coming out of it (providing the ad is done well).

I hope you didn't misunderstand my earlier post. I am fully supportive of this idea.
In fact, I'd like nothing better than to see Debra Medina run for some other office so that I can personally fund the following:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm139/rprprs/medinaadcopy.jpg
:D

jake
03-20-2010, 08:19 PM
This > Blimp.. 2012 we will dominate the airwaves from midnight to 5 am ;)

jake
03-20-2010, 08:24 PM
VegasPatriot : if you can fit in a voiceover of "visit oathkeepers.org" at the end i'd say thats a good ad!

Nate-ForLiberty
03-20-2010, 08:46 PM
I have started the process of setting up a TV campaign through Google AdWords. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of information concerning the specifics; I don't have all of the billing account information to proceed. I will post updates asap. In the meantime... I made this video today as a potential TV ad for Oath Keepers. Constructive criticism welcomed...

If you feel like it, could you keep us updated on the process and your experience? That'd be really cool.

VegasPatriot
03-21-2010, 12:06 AM
If you feel like it, could you keep us updated on the process and your experience? That'd be really cool.
I will be sure to keep everyone updated with our progress. I should have all the billing information by tomorrow, then maybe a day or two until we have everyone at OK review and approve the ad.

VegasPatriot : if you can fit in a voiceover of "visit oathkeepers.org" at the end i'd say thats a good ad!

Good suggestion, the one thing I did not like about this ad is sheriff Mack never says Oath Keepers... I'm right at 30 seconds now so I would have to cut the ending verbiage in order to fit in anything else... something we will consider.

VegasPatriot
03-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Bump with a 60 second TV type ad I made for RP in 2007.
YouTube - Ron Paul: America's Hero - TV AD 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcmJ8v9ZwC0)

UtahApocalypse
03-21-2010, 08:53 AM

Ad looks decent. could use a bit more though. I see that you do have some skills making ads though. Since you already are looking into the Google Ads service I think that we should get behind you for this and come up with a great 30sec Oath Keepers Ad.

This will give us a better idea of how the program functions and start thinking of bigger and better ads for the future. We can also brainstorm a project that ties directly to a specific website.

Jordan
03-21-2010, 01:14 PM
From my own adwords account I can tell that this might not be the most effective way to advertise.

From what I'm finding, I can't target specific markets or DMAs. Unfortunately, this means we might be selling fiscal conservativism to liberals in San Fransisco and anti-war stances to Alabama neocons.

Buying TV advertising through an individual station rather than Google TV would allow us better targeting with the same amount of work...

Nate-ForLiberty
03-26-2010, 07:39 PM
updates?

dr. hfn
03-26-2010, 07:41 PM
bump!

Nate-ForLiberty
03-31-2010, 02:22 PM
anything?

Nate-ForLiberty
03-31-2010, 02:41 PM
YouTube - How to edit budgets and add targets with our new interface (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3nhtyST09o)

papajohn56
03-31-2010, 03:27 PM
I've run on google adwords before, and have great experience in the world of online marketing and advertising. Our group spent over $10,000 per week at one point on Adwords alone.

Google TV ads would be good for broad messages, like Jordan mentioned above. You don't have to say just anti war or fiscal conservatism. If you're targeting Fox News, it's unlikely you'll have the SF Liberal crowd anyway.

IPSecure
07-20-2010, 07:30 AM
Chip-in for Peter, to place TV ads throughout his state?

aravoth
07-20-2010, 09:12 PM
O.o

Oh I like...........

Jordan
07-20-2010, 09:29 PM
The only problem is that you can't geotarget different DMAs. If you run an ad on Google TV, you run it nationwide with no exceptions.