PDA

View Full Version : Illinois Bill to Ban Marijuana Blunt Wraps Passes State Senate

disorderlyvision
03-19-2010, 01:29 PM
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/624/illinois_legislature_moves_ban_blunt_wraps_marijua na

A bill that would define blunt wraps -- tobacco leaves or processed tobacco designed to be wrapped around marijuana and smoked -- as drug paraphernalia was approved by the Illinois Senate Monday. A companion measure, HB 6234, has already passed the House Judiciary II Committee and awaits a floor vote. In a sign of momentum for the bills, the House bill picked up five more cosponsors Tuesday.

Under the measure passed by the Senate, SB 3734, the following language is added to the state's statute defining drug paraphernalia: "Individual tobacco wrappers, known as wraps, blunt wraps, or roll your own cigar wraps, whether in the form of a tobacco leaf, sheet, or tube, that consists in whole or in part of reconstituted leaf or flavored tobacco leaf; however, the term 'wrap,' 'blunt wrap,' or 'roll your own cigar wrap,' as used in this Section, does not include a tobacco leaf wrap that is used in the manufacturing of a cigar intended for retail sale."

Blunt wraps come plain or in flavors, such as cherry or peach, and are widely sold in gas stations, liquor stores, and convenience stores. Because of their low cost, easy availability to urban youth, and "lack of legitimate uses," they have been targeted by lawmakers. The push against blunt wraps is being led by cops and clergy.

"Having this product in mainstream stores is like having drug pushers in our neighborhoods," Bishop Larry Trotter, the pastor at Sweet Holy Spirit Church, said Sunday. "Blunt wraps are an indefensible product marketed to children and entirely identified with illegal drug use."

Trotter is vowing to circulate petitions in 50 Cook County churches to gin up support for the legislation. He also said he plans to lead a group of ministers and community activists to Springfield to urge passage of the bills.

Trotter is also aiming at local merchants, including the liquor store across the street from his church. "If it is not removed from the store, then we will shut it down," he threatened during the Sunday church service.

Mike Mohad, the manager of the liquor store, said he would quit selling blunt wraps if asked by the church, but that it wouldn't make much difference. "We don't have (any) problems getting along with the community," Mohad said. "If I can't sell it, people will go down the street to a different store. It's popular in Chicago."

Another local businessman, Joe Patel, manager of a gas station said he had no issues with selling blunt wraps. "It's a profitable item and in this economy every penny counts," said Joe Patel, who manages a Mobil gas station on Garfield Blvd. "We sell cigars to be smoked as sold. How people use it when they get home I have no control over."

But if the bishop, the cops, and the lawmakers have their way, blunt wraps will become one item Patel will no longer be able to sell.

specsaregood
03-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Uhm, so when are they gonna ban soda cans? I'd venture to say that somewhere right now in IL is a youth smoking pot out of a soda can turned into a pipe.

torchbearer
03-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Uhm, so when are they gonna ban soda cans? I'd venture to say that somewhere right now in IL is a youth smoking pot out of a soda can turned into a pipe.

good idea.
ban aluminum cans.
also, we should ban cigars. especially phillies, because those are also blunt wraps.
Bics, my God, I don't see how they allow people to buy Bics.

specsaregood
03-19-2010, 01:46 PM
good idea.
ban aluminum cans.
also, we should ban cigars. especially phillies, because those are also blunt wraps.

If anything they should encourage blunt usage, as it is a fairly wasteful way of smoking MJ. I guess they would prefer they use less wasteful, more effective methods.

Kotin
03-19-2010, 01:47 PM
ban apples while your at it.. nothing like a good papple.

speciallyblend
03-19-2010, 01:51 PM
all people will do is buy cigars cut it open and throw the tobacco away and lick the blunt wrap and roll a blunt!!! are they banning cigars? if not, very pointless!!! laughable!

specsaregood
03-19-2010, 01:52 PM

Don't forget to ban pages from a good ole Gideon's bible for when you are in a hotel room and have no rolling papers. Only bibles carved into stone from now on.

speciallyblend
03-19-2010, 01:52 PM

haha, done that one before;) they also need to ban toilet paper and paper towels,so we can't get to the cardboard roll. they make great steamrollers;):eek:

RileyE104
03-19-2010, 02:08 PM
don't forget about foil...
or plastic bottles...

torchbearer
03-19-2010, 02:09 PM
don't forget about foil...
or plastic bottles...

gravity bongs are all the rage right now.

purplechoe
03-19-2010, 02:29 PM
http://washedit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/obama_smoking.jpg

Old Ducker
03-19-2010, 02:30 PM
all people will do is buy cigars cut it open and throw the tobacco away and lick the blunt wrap and roll a blunt!!! are they banning cigars? if not, very pointless!!! laughable!

Okay now I've smoked more than my share of reef between say 1974 and 1982 or so in many forms but I'm ignorant of what the blunt thing is about. Seems wasteful to me, plus why would you want to pollute the lovely taste of fine bud with strong tobacco, in addition to making it harsher?

Whats wrong with a good old fashioned pin joint? :p

torchbearer
03-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Okay now I've smoked more than my share of reef between say 1974 and 1982 or so in many forms but I'm ignorant of what the blunt thing is about. Seems wasteful to me, plus why would you want to pollute the lovely taste of fine bud with strong tobacco, in addition to making it harsher?

think of it as an upper/downer combo.
just a different flavor and variation.
like mixing bourbon with coke.
some just sip the bourbon, some mix it.

brandon
03-19-2010, 02:32 PM
lol very pointless indeed. All the blunt wrap manufacturers will need to do is slightly change their marketing methods and package design to get around the law. The blunt wraps are for people who want to role their own tobacco cigars.

What a waste.

brandon
03-19-2010, 02:33 PM

Blunts have a distinct taste, can usually be rolled bigger than joints, and have a good dose of nicotine in them.

givemeliberty
03-19-2010, 02:45 PM

It's not like a big bamboo but will do in a pinch...

have to ban corn cobs too

BuddyRey
03-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Another stupid and counterproductive law.

Bruno
03-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Blunts have a distinct taste, can usually be rolled bigger than joints, and have a good dose of nicotine in them.

And spoil the taste if you have good herb, but thats just my opinion. To each their own.

tremendoustie
03-19-2010, 03:01 PM
good idea.
ban aluminum cans.

Oh the humanity!! BICs!! What have we come to? Won't someone PLEASE think of the children?!

tremendoustie
03-19-2010, 03:04 PM
gravity bongs are all the rage right now.

Ooo gravity .. let's outlaw that too.

torchbearer
03-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Ooo gravity .. let's outlaw that too.

i'm thinking, tax gravity. outlaw bics.

wizardwatson
03-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Well, I used to work in convenience stores when those blunt wraps started gaining popularity. Outlawing them is just going to cause people to go back to the old method of buying swisher sweet singles and throwing away the tobacco inside, which they often do right in the parking lot before they pull away.

Lawmakers really need to rethink their strategy.

andrewh817
03-20-2010, 01:15 PM
"designed to be wrapped around marijuana and smoked"

I'd really like an explanation from someone about this phrase...........

dannno
03-20-2010, 01:53 PM
YouTube - How High - Wake Up Time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SsgwtpQQ88)

Dr.3D
03-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Now if they would just ban stupidity, they could do away with themselves and save everybody a lot of taxpayer money.

silentshout
03-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Ugh, why the local bishop cares about this is mind-boggling.

disorderlyvision
03-20-2010, 05:18 PM

I'd really like an explanation from someone about this phrase...........

Umm...it is just like a rolling paper for a joint, except the thicker blunt paper is used to roll it. It is like the paper used for a cigar minus the tobacco inside the cigar. Personally I never got into blunt wraps I just by a philly and gut it.

andrewh817
03-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Umm...it is just like a rolling paper for a joint, except the thicker blunt paper is used to roll it. It is like the paper used for a cigar minus the tobacco inside the cigar. Personally I never got into blunt wraps I just by a philly and gut it.

I'd really like an explanation from someone about this phrase..........

I meant that they aren't designed any more for marijuana than anything else

amy31416
03-20-2010, 07:45 PM
http://4.media.collegehumor.com/collegehumor/ch6/5/3/collegehumor.f95b34757152e960762e2c8359e779a9.jpg