View Full Version : MS Patient Gets 5 Years in Prison for Growing Pot

torchbearer
03-19-2010, 12:32 PM
that will teach him!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35950933

By Brian Thompson
NBCNewYork.com
updated 1:16 p.m. CT, Fri., March. 19, 2010
A New Jersey Superior Court judge gave a man who suffers from multiple sclerosis the lowest possible jail term for growing marijuana plants outside his home two years ago.

But that penalty is still five years behind bars for 37-year-old John Ray Wilson.

"We're pretty disappointed," Chris Goldstein of the Coalition for Medical Marijuana said of the sentence.

Wilson could qualify for Intensive Parole Supervision after four to six months in prison, but the jail sentence still pains the man whose lawyer says cultivated the crops only to alleviate his suffering.

At Wilson's trial in Somerville, attorney James Wronko told the jury that his client grew and used the marijuana solely to relieve the pain of his MS. Jurors found Wilson not guilty of a charge of operating a medical marijuana facility, but convicted him on separate manufacturing and possession charges.

The state had asked for a 7-year prison term for Wilson's conviction on growing more than 10 marijuana plants, as well as possession for psilocybin mushrooms.

Jurors told NBC New York after Wilson's December conviction that they had asked the judge to go easy on Wilson.

Goldstein quoted Judge Robert Reed as saying "John does not represent the heartland of cases of growing marijuana" in explaining why he gave him the minimum sentence.

Former Gov. Jon Corzine signed the Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act in January, making New Jersey the 14th state in the country to legalize marijuana for medical use. But the program likely won't be implemented until the end of the year.

Wilson couldn't argue he used the drug for medicinal purposes because there was no such provision in the state at the time of his arrest. He wasn't even allowed to mention his medical condition at trial.
Now, according to Goldstein, even if Wilson were to get out on probation later this year, it's not clear if he could use the program for years to come, since parolees are usually banned from using any controlled dangerous substances -- a list that includes marijuana.

"We'll support him as much as we can," said Goldstein, who added that Wilson "will probably have better medical care in prison" than on the outside because he doesn't have health insurance.
Wilson said he grew his own marijuana because he couldn't afford the high-priced drugs sold by pharmaceutical companies.

torchbearer
03-19-2010, 12:33 PM
"land of the free.. home of the brave"

Erazmus
03-19-2010, 12:35 PM
"land of the free.. home of the brave"

That was what went through my mind as I read the article. :mad:

dannno
03-19-2010, 12:36 PM
People are sick.

Krugerrand
03-19-2010, 12:45 PM
The NJ Governor should be able to do some sort of pardon, no?

Anti Federalist
03-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Jurors told NBC New York after Wilson's December conviction that they had asked the judge to go easy on Wilson

Fully informed jurors would have delivered a not guilty verdict regardless and nullified this prosecution.

Fozz
03-19-2010, 12:52 PM
This is awful.

Chester Copperpot
03-19-2010, 01:00 PM
I live 40 minutes away from Somerset. I wish I had been on that jury.. I would not have convicted the guy.. Jury nullification needs to be explained to all the people.. and this is why

silus
03-19-2010, 03:25 PM
I'll be sleeping a little bit easier tonight.

BuddyRey
03-19-2010, 04:32 PM
How dare you try to ease your crippling pain with treatments not approved of by the Overlords!

furface
03-19-2010, 04:50 PM
As our police state society is about to adopt another insulting special interest laden burden on the American middle class in the form of Obamacare, it's easy to forget the many ways that American government actively inhibits Americans from seeking and enjoying optimum health.

This is a great example. It's a matter of priorities, though. Here's another short list of things that are more important to the masters of American society than the health of the American people.

1. Keeping a massive government bureaucracy alive.
2. Maintaining the largest prison population on Earth.
3. Making the world safe for Israel.
4. Maintaining a monopoly on money and how it gets used.
5. Maintaining an atmosphere of fear of government retribution among the American citizenry, essentially using state terrorism to keep people in line.

Think if the American people could spend all the money that the government steals from them on the things that were important to them. Do you think they would spend it on prolonging their lives, on medical research? I think they would. Our government actively contributes to shortening the lives of the American people. It's tremendously evil.

Rael
03-19-2010, 05:21 PM
He wasn't even allowed to mention his medical condition at trial.

So do it anyway. Stand up and shout it out in the courtroom if you have to. What are they going to do, PUT YOU IN JAIL?

phill4paul
03-19-2010, 05:23 PM
So do it anyway. Stand up and shout it out in the courtroom if you have to. What are they going to do, PUT YOU IN JAIL?

Quite. "Contempt" of court is a slightly less offense to what he received.

phill4paul
03-19-2010, 05:24 PM

So much for the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.:rolleyes:

dannno
03-19-2010, 05:55 PM

I believe the judge would call it a mis-trial..

I actually have a thread about this very subject (edit: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=231860 ) as other people have gone through the same thing in Federal cases from states where it is legal to use medicinally. The most famous was a guy named Marc Emery.

Dr.3D
03-19-2010, 05:56 PM
In order to sit as a juror on a trial like that one and use jury nullification, you have to lie while they are screening you. This is why jury nullification is rarely used.

dannno
03-19-2010, 05:58 PM

The purpose of this thread was to address this very topic:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=231860

Reason
03-19-2010, 11:46 PM
The purpose of this thread was to address this very topic:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=231860 (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=231860)

The inability to bring this up in court is disturbing...

andrewh817
03-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Wilson couldn't argue he used the drug for medicinal purposes because there was no such provision in the state at the time of his arrest.

Maybe one day the government and modern science will be hand in hand........well actually they are for modern weaponry.

"We'll support him as much as we can," said Goldstein, who added that Wilson "will probably have better medical care in prison" than on the outside because he doesn't have health insurance.

Imagine the irony if they prescribed him Marinol........oh man that's horrible.