PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: Court Allows Torture Suit Against Former Defense Sec't Rumsfeld

Chester Copperpot
03-18-2010, 01:19 PM
LINK--->>> http://chicago.indymedia.org/newswire/display/89143/index.php

1st time in U.S. history that court allows torture suit against current or former Cabinet Secretary

CHICAGO – Federal Judge Wayne R. Andersen issued an historic ruling today allowing a suit charging former Defense Secretary with authorizing torture.

Rumsfeld asked the court to dismiss the case because he is a high-placed governmental official and argued that he was immune from suit even for allegations of torture. Mr. Rumsfeld also argued that due to his position, the Constitution permitted him to order interrogation techniques that are widely considered by human rights experts to be torture. The Court rejected both of Mr. Rumsfeld's arguments and held that high-placed placed cabinet officials can be held personally liable if they authorize the use of torture.

Why do these assholes always hide behind the Constitution when it suits them, but never when it doesn't suit them?

Rumsfeld, the alleged war criminal should get his day in court just like Haji Al'Barfo the detainee in Guantanamo. Lets hope the court action is followed up by a demand to appear.. and when he refuses to comply, the sheriff comes and arrests hims to force him to show.

And I gotta add here on others too.. My senator Bob Menendez is claiming a recall attempt from New Jersey citizens is unconstitutional yet this guy supports EVERY unconstitutional measure ever passed.

Likewise, rep. Louise Slaughter from NY who is the pointwoman on getting the house bill passed WITHOUT it having to be voted on also claims this tactic is constitutional. She says she would NEVER endorse anything that was unconstitutional.. However she supports Obama Care, and that is clearly unconstitutional so she is full of shit too.

jmdrake
03-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Wonderful! I hope this goes through.

Juan McCain
03-18-2010, 01:30 PM
While good news . . . and thanks for passing it on -

Interpretations from journalists about court cases are typically terrible - the worst.

Naming the U.S. or it's agent as a defendant . . . should be in the District Court for the District of Columbia or U.S. Court of Claims (?) -
So the venue claim of Illinois because of Rumsfeld's "ties to Illinois" seems jurisdictionally inadequate, imho.

But I only perused this and haven't really read it - so thanks again though.

Erazmus
03-18-2010, 01:43 PM
I guess we'll see where this goes.