PDA

View Full Version : Bake sales banned in schools

tangent4ronpaul
03-18-2010, 04:57 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/17/dining/17bakesale.html

Taking the Bake Out of Bake Sale

IN one corner: Reduced Fat Cool Ranch Doritos, Linden’s Chocolate Chip Minis and Stacy’s Cinnamon Sugar Pita Chips. In the other: homemade pumpkin bread, pink cupcakes and spinach tofu empanadas.

Bureaucratically speaking, the Doritos take it, under the recent restrictions on student bake sales in New York City public schools. That is, unless the parents who plan to stage a “bake-in” at City Hall on Thursday can persuade officials to overturn the regulation. The City Council is planning a public hearing on the matter for later this month.

The rule, which school officials say is aimed at tackling obesity, allows PTAs to hold bake sales once a month or weekdays after 6 p.m. Otherwise only fresh fruits and vegetables and any of 27 packaged items that meet city Health Department guidelines on calories, fat and sodium can be sold at schools.

Some parents have accused school officials of promoting processed food.

The battle over bake sales, a tenacious civic tradition, has struck a deep chord with home cooks and food historians. Whether in the chaos of New York City or in the quiet of a rural village, bake sales evoke a sense of comfort and trust through the intimacy of cooking, in slices of layer cake, lemon bars, tollhouse cookies, hermits, muffins, pies. (Or, in the case of some of the more ambitious New York City parent-cooks protesting this week, the empanadas, mini-spanakopitas, vegetable calzones and vegan chocolate cake.)

Helen Martineau-Kraus has two daughters at the Neighborhood School in the East Village and likes to bake carrot cupcakes and pumpkin muffins with them for bake sales. (She once made mini-spanakopitas, but said they were too much work and went too fast.) Bake sales connect parents and children at the school, she said.

“Everybody contributes, everybody feels more like they are part of the school community,” she said. “They try things that other people have baked. In such a big city it’s really nice to have that small community feeling.”

Other parents, at a time when the schools have been devastated by budget cuts and the recession has squeezed so many wallets, said it is hard to match bake sales for fund-raising.

Geraldine Neary, who has three children at the Renaissance Charter School in Jackson Heights, Queens, said the weekly bake sales at her school, netting between $200 and $300, raised enough money to send 11 students to see the Mayan ruins in Mexico last year.

She is famous for her Rice Krispie Buns, which she makes with semisweet dark chocolate instead of marshmallows. The bake-sale money has also gone to send students to the Adirondacks for a four-day “nature’s classroom” in the summers, quite a benefit for a school where she said 60 percent of the students meet the federal poverty standard.

“A lot of families in our school don’t have money, but if they’re baking something they feel they are contributing,” said Ms. Neary, a past president of the PTA. “If they can’t give me money and they can’t give me time, they give me some brownies, they give me some cupcakes.”

School officials say parents have misinterpreted the ban as an endorsement of junk food.

“We’re not saying you should eat Doritos,” said Eric Goldstein, chief executive of School Food and Transportation for the Department of Education. “We’re not telling you what you can feed your child or not feed your child. If you want to send in with your child 15 cupcakes you can do so. That probably wouldn’t be advisable. But what we’re talking about is the selling of food. We’ve taken a good long look at this.”

He said that 40 percent of the 1.1 million city schoolchildren are overweight or obese and that restricting the sale of baked goods was just “one piece in a holistic wellness puzzle,” coming after the school system had replaced much of the food in its vending machines with items lower in calories, fat and sodium. Listing the ingredients of food for sale in school is essential to monitoring what students eat, Mr. Goldstein said.

But Laura Shapiro, a food historian and author, said the city’s argument was “exactly the kind of thinking that sent us down the road of packaged, industrial junk food in the first place.”

Big food companies, she said, came “roaring out of World War II, producing every kind of food and getting people to eat this stuff,” and “that was the start of a kind of war between the food industry and American home cooks, which this bake-sale flap shows is not over.”

She added: “Americans came to accept a kind of distance between themselves and food. You wouldn’t trust it if it wasn’t wrapped up and labeled. Now, farmers’ markets are in vogue — we love to exalt in that — but for many decades you only bought a bag of potatoes, cut up and wrapped and predone.”

Now, she said, “we’re supposed to believe that a packaged chocolate-chip cookie is preferable to a homemade one, not on the basis of taste, texture or the quality of the ingredients, but because it came from a factory and has a nutrition label.”

In any case, there is also the matter of what to call these erstwhile bake sales. Among the more cynical suggestions from a few boiling-mad parents were names like “prepackaged, corporate junk-food sale.”

The education department is trying to persuade parents and students to hold food-free fund-raising events, perhaps selling T-shirts, pencils, notebooks, shoelaces or handmade beaded jewelry instead. One option it suggests is selling exercise: the buyer pays for the student to run a certain number of laps around a park or track.

Call it a “running-laps sale?” Inspired idea, no doubt, but it doesn’t quite roll off the tongue.

coyote_sprit
03-18-2010, 05:34 AM
Think of the children, someone could poison those cupcakes.

Off topic: I remember when I was in sixth grade the school said it was going to switch to health food. The next year the only food that had changed was the soda machines and the vending machine we had in the lunch room, the actual school lunches didn't change on bit, if anything the pizza was even more greasy and disgusting.

Warrior_of_Freedom
03-18-2010, 05:50 AM
I returned to my old high school to get some paper work done a few weeks ago, and I went downstairs to where the vending machine was always located with the intent of getting something to drink, but alas - it was gone. I don't know if it was a local or state law, but that's why the vending machines aren't in the school anymore.

MelissaWV
03-18-2010, 06:53 AM
My memory of it matches Coyote's. I seriously doubt anything at the bake sale could be more disgusting than cafeteria food, and I challenge them to run the actual prepared food (not the "examples" they make to pass) through the nutrition requirement tests. The pizza was a common culprit, but also there were all manner of foods made with the mysterious, greasy, smelly, congealing "ground beef" that found its way into Sloppy Joes, tacos, pasta, and so on.

I'd rather choke to death on a cupcake any damned day.

There is no reason that you can't bake something healthy or, better yet, why you can't simply have reasonable portions. Processed, nasty, chemical-tasting "health" food is going to end up being worse for these kids in the long run.