PDA

View Full Version : Earth Hour - how to celebrate going to the dark side

awake
03-17-2010, 04:44 PM
"The official countdown has begun. At exactly 8:30 p.m. on Saturday, March 27, it’s anticipated that more than one billion people in more than 100 countries around the world will turn off their lights for one hour. The goal is to raise global awareness about climate change."

What's your plans to celebrate our newest Eco religious holiday? I swear these people can not see the symbolism in their support for this useless action of mass disillusionment.

amy31416
03-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Gachhhh. I can't stand the eco-warriors anymore.

I'm a complete "environmentalist" or "conservationist" if you will, but these 'tards who buy into Al Gore's bullshit make me freaking angry.

Should we pollute? Of course not.
Does a factory spewing out tons of noxious gases affect the air and water quality? Of course it does.
Is this bizarre global tax a real solution. NO!

I've done a ton of research on plants and how they clean the air, filter water and grow better in areas with higher carbon dioxide output. The answer is in nature, not in legislation and taxation.

In my office/library right now, I have 11 various plants, all proven to improve air quality. It's cheap, they look lovely, they don't make any noise and are low-maintenance. A filtration unit uses electricity, makes noise, costs a ton and is likely made in China. What's the better solution?

RideTheDirt
03-17-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm not changing a thing that hour. I may add a few lights for the hell of it.

RideTheDirt
03-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Gachhhh. I can't stand the eco-warriors anymore.

I'm a complete "environmentalist" or "conservationist" if you will, but these 'tards who buy into Al Gore's bullshit make me freaking angry.

Should we pollute? Of course not.
Does a factory spewing out tons of noxious gases affect the air and water quality? Of course it does.
Is this bizarre global tax a real solution. NO!

I've done a ton of research on plants and how they clean the air, filter water and grow better in areas with higher carbon dioxide output. The answer is in nature, not in legislation and taxation.

In my office/library right now, I have 11 various plants, all proven to improve air quality. It's cheap, they look lovely, they don't make any noise and are low-maintenance. A filtration unit uses electricity, makes noise, costs a ton and is likely made in China. What's the better solution?
which are the best indoor plants for pollution. I want a few :)

RideTheDirt
03-17-2010, 04:58 PM
http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/h110Indoorair.html
interesting

awake
03-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Worship them...

http://bigjournalism.com/files/2010/03/energy_windmills_california.jpg

amy31416
03-17-2010, 05:01 PM
which are the best indoor plants for pollution. I want a few :)

Peace lilies (I have 6 of them, 2 of them are monsters) aka spathiphyllum
bamboo palms
philodendrons
mother-in-law's tongue
chrysanthemums
ivy
daisies

There's more, but I can't think of them right now. I have all but the daisies, which I intend to get at some point. All of these plants are also quite easy to take care of and don't require bright light, so they're great for office dwellers and people with dark apartments.

amy31416
03-17-2010, 05:03 PM
http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/h110Indoorair.html
interesting

Ohh...just saw that you looked it up...interesting article.

Fox McCloud
03-17-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm going to turn on every light in my house and every TV on this night for an hour, just to be contradictory.

MelissaWV
03-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Oh is it time for this again?

Thank goodness, because no one is aware of the planet without these loons to remind us.

I think I'll just... do absolutely nothing special or different either way.

RedStripe
03-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Don't see anything wrong with this - it's a stunt to raise awareness. Obviously everyone who reads this thread will now be aware of growing public sentiment to reduce wasteful energy consumption; must be working.

Even as a Ron Paul supporter I can appreciate the irony of people on the Ron Paul Forums making fun of "useless action of mass disillusionment" when we're the ones who funded the Ron Paul blimp...

tangent4ronpaul
03-17-2010, 05:21 PM
I wonder if anyone will be able to tell the difference. Besides the bean counters at the power companies, that is...

http://www.asc-csa.gc.ca/images/sts-097_kidstation_project2000_earth_night.jpg

http://www-istp.gsfc.nasa.gov/istp/outreach/images/Earth/apodusni.gif

-t

phill4paul
03-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Oh is it time for this again?

Thank goodness, because no one is aware of the planet without these loons to remind us.

I think I'll just... do absolutely nothing special or different either way.

Pretty much.

MelissaWV
03-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Don't see anything wrong with this - it's a stunt to raise awareness. Obviously everyone who reads this thread will now be aware of growing public sentiment to reduce wasteful energy consumption; must be working.

Even as a Ron Paul supporter I can appreciate the irony of people on the Ron Paul Forums making fun of "useless action of mass disillusionment" when we're the ones who funded the Ron Paul blimp...

Don't get me wrong... stunts are just fine, but then again most people didn't know who Ron Paul was at that time, and a lot still don't know. How many people don't know about the planet and its Planeteers? :D

The Patriot
03-17-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm going to turn on every light in my house and every TV on this night for an hour, just to be contradictory.

This...

RedStripe
03-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Don't get me wrong... stunts are just fine, but then again most people didn't know who Ron Paul was at that time, and a lot still don't know. How many people don't know about the planet and its Planeteers? :D

True, but I guess all I'm saying is hey, if people want to voluntarily cooperate and coordinate mass action on a particular day to bring awareness to something they care about *coughronpaulmoneybombcough* more power to them.

I like the idea of grassroots mass action, even if I'm not in 100% agreement with the goals or ideology. At least people are caring about something more than whatever is playing on their television, and at least it is something driven by masses of people rather than some corporate or political demagogues.

Working Poor
03-17-2010, 05:44 PM
I have been spreading my idea for a solution on pollution for years now. I get a lot of replies from people in Asia but not so much from the USA I wonder why that is?

http://splendra49.blogspot.com/2006/10/pollution-solution.html

someperson
03-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Though I may not care for their reasoning, I love to see individuals coming together voluntarily like this for a cause that they believe in, as long as it involves no aggression. It would be nice, though, if some of these same individuals would adopt this voluntary approach to all of their other causes, instead of pursuing the power of state coercion.

As far as I'm concerned, every hour is Earth Hour. I don't know about the organizers of this event, but I like a low power bill year-round; I rarely have any lights on :)

rancher89
03-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Though I may not care for their reasoning, I love to see individuals coming together voluntarily like this for a cause that they believe in, as long as it involves no aggression. It would be nice, though, if some of these same individuals would adopt this voluntary approach to all of their other causes, instead of pursuing the power of state coercion.

As far as I'm concerned, every hour is Earth Hour. I don't know about the organizers of this event, but I like a low power bill year-round; I rarely have any lights on :)

we have a winner^^^ :)

pcosmar
03-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Christmas Lights. Spot light maybe.
Every light in the house on.

I might even find some old tires to burn. :p

phill4paul
03-17-2010, 06:31 PM
I might even find some old tires to burn. :p

Malaria control? I salute your civic responsibility.:D

awake
03-17-2010, 06:36 PM
True, but I guess all I'm saying is hey, if people want to voluntarily cooperate and coordinate mass action on a particular day to bring awareness to something they care about *coughronpaulmoneybombcough* more power to them.

I like the idea of grassroots mass action, even if I'm not in 100% agreement with the goals or ideology. At least people are caring about something more than whatever is playing on their television, and at least it is something driven by masses of people rather than some corporate or political demagogues.

This "green" movement is about as grassroots as moldy green carpet. It makes little or no economic sense in its applications and is contradictory on numerous levels.

The primary reason being is that it is a fiat revolution running cover for other ends. It is funded through back channels and NGO's to endorse the adoption of government regulation to help certain special interests in restricting production and raising prices on carefully selected industries. In short, it is government and business' cartel building by attacking the consumer and destroying competition. The outcome will probably result in an energy crisis, shortages, rationing and price controls. The cartelization efforts in trying to choke off supplies and new entrants (Oils Sands) will be the culprit. The same crap was pulled in the original depression "prices are to low" was a rallying cry for government intervention on behalf of special business interests. This nonsense of attacking suppliers, both foreign and domestic, is what the energy crisis of the 70's was all about - they tried to force controls. Although there may be a few good people wrapped up in it, one thing can be safely said, it most certainly is not to save the earth, it is a concerted effort to save the protected and corrupt.

rancher89
03-17-2010, 06:46 PM
This "green" movement is about as grassroots as moldy green carpet. It makes little or no economic sense in its applications and is contradictory on numerous levels.

The primary reason being is that it is a fiat revolution running cover for other ends. It is funded through back channels and NGO's to endorse the adoption of government regulation to help certain special interests in restricting production and raising prices on carefully selected industries. In short, it is government and business' cartel building by attacking the consumer and destroying competition. The outcome will probably result in an energy crisis, shortages, rationing and price controls. The cartelization efforts in trying to choke of supplies and new entrants (Oils Sands) will be the culprit. The same crap was pulled in the original depression "prices are to low" was a ralling cry for government intervention.This nonsense of attacking suppliers both foreign and domestic is what energy crisis of the 70's was all about. Although there may be a few good people wrapped up in it, one thing can be safely said, it most certainly is not to save the earth, it is a concerted effort to save the protected and corrupt.

Hey now, I try not to pollute, especially when it saves me money, especially when it saves me money. Not because of some eco nazi telling the sky is going to fall if I don't recycle/turn off the freaking lights, but because I want to and I have an economic incentive to do so (lower electric bill) especially since I'm STILL unemployed......

So, I understand the whole global puppet thing, but I'm still not going to turn on lights I don't need and I'm going to turn them off when I don't need them. BTW I have a large stockpile of regular light bulbs. I hate those fluorescent things, ugh...

RedStripe
03-17-2010, 06:55 PM

The primary reason being is that it is a fiat revolution running cover for other ends. It is funded through back channels and NGO's to endorse the adoption of government regulation to help certain special interests in restricting production and raising prices on carefully selected industries. In short, it is government and business' cartel building by attacking the consumer and destroying competition. The outcome will probably result in an energy crisis, shortages, rationing and price controls. The cartelization efforts in trying to choke off supplies and new entrants (Oils Sands) will be the culprit. The same crap was pulled in the original depression "prices are to low" was a rallying cry for government intervention on behalf of special business interests. This nonsense of attacking suppliers, both foreign and domestic, is what the energy crisis of the 70's was all about - they tried to force controls. Although there may be a few good people wrapped up in it, one thing can be safely said, it most certainly is not to save the earth, it is a concerted effort to save the protected and corrupt.

The problem with your analysis is that you are confusing a sincere concern held by many (that we are harming our environment in numerous ways - which is not only aesthetically bad but also is harmful to ourselves, both personally and as a society, in the long term - a concern that is actually fairly well-founded and originally quite grassroots) with the proposed solutions and influence of biased institutions.

The same thing can be said for the Ron Paul Libertarian/Constitutionalist movement - there are certainly institutions that will absorb the concerns we have and use them to promote their own interests, that's just the nature of a social/political/economic system dominated by powerful concentrations of power.

It's actually not even a conspiracy. This is just how the machine operates. Institutions aren't being run at the whims of some diabolical conspirator (even if they were, the so-called conspirators are far too stupid and selfish to ever coordinate their behavior/control as effectively as alleged by the conspiratorial view). The fact that some of the people in the establishment are environmentalists and push that agenda doesn't mean, by itself, that environmentalism is good or bad.

awake
03-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Hey now, I try not to pollute, especially when it saves me money, especially when it saves me money. Not because of some eco nazi telling the sky is going to fall if I don't recycle/turn off the freaking lights, but because I want to and I have an economic incentive to do so (lower electric bill) especially since I'm STILL unemployed......

So, I understand the whole global puppet thing, but I'm still not going to turn on lights I don't need and I'm going to turn them off when I don't need them. BTW I have a large stockpile of regular light bulbs. I hate those fluorescent things, ugh...

This is exactly the point I want to make: people make the best choices for themselves on economic issues. People naturally conserve as they see a loss in money that could be better spent elsewhere for more valued goods. It is quite a natural thing. But the people who craft the focus group studies and build the propaganda know this as well and they use it to hook people on board with the rest of the garbage. They need you to at least admit that climate change exists then automatically your admission turns up on a poll figure on a legislators desk requiring government meddling..

Don't get me wrong on personal choices, they are primary, it is just that some times we help along bad things with out even being aware of it.

rancher89
03-17-2010, 07:04 PM
This is exactly the point I want to make: people make the best choices for themselves on economic issues. People naturally conserve as they see a loss in money that could be better spent elsewhere for more valued goods. It is quite a natural thing. But the people who craft the focus group studies and build the propaganda know this as well and they use it to hook people on board with the rest of the garbage. They need you to at least admit that climate change exists then automatically your admission turns up on a poll figure on a legislators desk requiring government meddling..

Don't get me wrong on personal choices, they are primary, it is just that some times we help along bad things with out even being aware of it.

You are confusing me with my sister (LOL) SHE'S the one going along for the ride.

awake
03-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Good article (http://mises.org/daily/1927) on what I am trying to spit out. Conspiracy no, good old fashion corruption , yes.

It is a natural human reaction of an established market participant , upon seeing a new business competitor come into the market in similar interests, to be easily deemed an invader and aggressively attacked. There are those who grow stronger from the competition and there are others who run to government to crush both their competitors and consumers alike. The green movement is being used as a means to this end.

awake
03-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Rothbard talks about the environmentalists. (http://mises.org/media/4622)

ammorris
03-17-2010, 07:23 PM

I am overcome with the sudden urge to string up a lot of Christmas lights.

Pete_00
03-17-2010, 07:25 PM
If too many people do this its actualy dangerous for the electrical grid. There are protections against sudden surges but they have their limits.

pacelli
03-17-2010, 07:55 PM
I've been unplugging appliances and unscrewing lights just to save on the electric bill. I need to stop using electricity for more than a day, try a whole month.

sevin
03-17-2010, 08:40 PM
I'll probably blow several fuses at my house.

silus
03-17-2010, 10:13 PM

Testify!

awake
03-18-2010, 05:15 AM
..."wasteful energy consumption" ? The market price for any good is its own built in ration mechanism and most efficient appropriation method. "Wasteful" implies a personal value judgment in the the ways in which energy can and can not be used and goes further into saying that those who pay the price for their "wasteful" energy use are not paying enough in some arbitrary manner. The next logical step is to figure out which central body needs to be set up to determine wasteful and non wasteful uses of energy then to price these factors appropriately.

"I've been unplugging appliances and unscrewing lights just to save on the electric bill. I need to stop using electricity for more than a day, try a whole month." Pacelli's statement is a wonderful example of the rationing and appropriating aspect of the free market at work.

pacelli
03-18-2010, 06:07 AM
..."wasteful energy consumption" ? The market price for any good is its own built in ration mechanism and most efficient appropriation method. "Wasteful" implies a personal value judgment in the the ways in which energy can and can not be used and goes further into saying that those who pay the price for their "wasteful" energy use are not paying enough in some arbitrary manner. The next logical step is to figure out which central body needs to be set up to determine wasteful and non wasteful uses of energy then to price these factors appropriately.

"I've been unplugging appliances and unscrewing lights just to save on the electric bill. I need to stop using electricity for more than a day, try a whole month." Pacelli's statement is a wonderful example of the rationing and appropriating aspect of the free market at work.

That's exactly correct. Thank you for noticing that.