PDA

View Full Version : After all the ballyhooing over Toyota gas pedals...

RCA
03-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Why has there been not ONE mention in the MSM about what to do in the event your accelerator pedal sticks? This once happened to me in my Honda Accord because the floor mat slid up behind the gas pedal and when I stepped on the gas, the pedal got stuck on the mat and wouldn't come back up. I didn't know this is what happened until after I got out of my car. What I did was disengage the engine by shifting into neutral and then applying the breaks and coming to a stop. This proves that the MSM doesn't care about anyone's safety.

MelissaWV
03-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Why has there been not ONE mention in the MSM about what to do in the event your accelerator pedal sticks? This once happened to me in my Honda Accord because the floor mat slid up behind the gas pedal and when I stepped on the gas, the pedal got stuck on the mat and wouldn't come back up. I didn't know this is what happened until after I got out of my car. What I did was disengage the engine by shifting into neutral and then applying the breaks and coming to a stop. This proves that the MSM doesn't care about anyone's safety.

:confused: I've seen this advice, or a variant, in nearly every article or news clip I've seen on the subject.

RCA
03-17-2010, 12:16 PM
:confused: I've seen this advice, or a variant, in nearly every article or news clip I've seen on the subject.

I've never heard it mentioned on the news, but then again, I don't watch much news.

pcosmar
03-17-2010, 12:20 PM
And this is why I personally don't think anyone should drive a car without understanding HOW and WHY they work. (or fail to,as the case may be).
but I am not advocating making it law.
it just seems to be sensible to me.

MelissaWV
03-17-2010, 12:24 PM
And this is why I personally don't think anyone should drive a car without understanding HOW and WHY they work. (or fail to,as the case may be).
but I am not advocating making it law.
it just seems to be sensible to me.

Agreed, though the auto industry has made it increasingly difficult. This is why I prefer older vehicles. I enjoy changing out parts, and not having to "reset" a computer. I do like power steering, I'll admit... but I can live without it.

RCA
03-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Agreed, though the auto industry has made it increasingly difficult. This is why I prefer older vehicles. I enjoy changing out parts, and not having to "reset" a computer. I do like power steering, I'll admit... but I can live without it.

I welcome any technological advance so long as it doesn't affect my liberty such as black boxes inside cars.

jake
03-17-2010, 12:29 PM
they say it on small news stations but you are right I haven't seen it discussed or mentioned on the big networks..

MelissaWV
03-17-2010, 12:31 PM
I welcome any technological advance so long as it doesn't affect my liberty such as black boxes inside cars.

If it's too "advanced" then you can't fix it without specialized equipment, or it can be counterproductive. It's part of the reason people don't know what to do, because they don't know how their car works. Other than "D," "P," and "R," way too many people think those other letters are for decoration. :(

RCA
03-17-2010, 12:31 PM
they say it on small news stations but you are right i haven't seen it discussed or mentioned on the big networks..

nope.

Semper Vigilans
03-17-2010, 01:54 PM
"Honest officer, I was only doing 170 because the accelerator on my 550 hp street car got stuck!" :D

Unlike you Melissa, I grew up working on the computerized stuff. Once you get over the initial learning curve, it's actually easier to work on them. Also, black boxes can be removed easily if you know how. :)

This rash of crashes just proves what I already knew... The average mouth-breather has no business being behind the wheel of a car. They don't understand the responsibility or focus they need to have when behind the wheel of a 2600-8000 pound rolling weapon.

angelatc
03-17-2010, 02:06 PM
"Honest officer, I was only doing 170 because the accelerator on my 550 hp street car got stuck!" :D

Unlike you Melissa, I grew up working on the computerized stuff. Once you get over the initial learning curve, it's actually easier to work on them. Also, black boxes can be removed easily if you know how. :)

This rash of crashes just proves what I already knew... The average mouth-breather has no business being behind the wheel of a car. They don't understand the responsibility or focus they need to have when behind the wheel of a 2600-8000 pound rolling weapon.

I don't necessarily hate the computerized stuff, I hate the engineering that makes it impossible to change 1 simple part without removing 10 other things. Give me a '60's Dodge any day.

Semper Vigilans
03-17-2010, 02:12 PM
I don't necessarily hate the computerized stuff, I hate the engineering that makes it impossible to change 1 simple part without removing 10 other things. Give me a '60's Dodge any day.

I hear ya. That's mainly due to having 300 or so engineers ( who have never "wrenched" on a car a day in their life ) working on small portions of the car and not talking to each other.

I will say that swivels and extensions go a long way. :D

RCA
03-17-2010, 02:55 PM
I hear ya. That's mainly due to having 300 or so engineers ( who have never "wrenched" on a car a day in their life ) working on small portions of the car and not talking to each other.

I will say that swivels and extensions go a long way. :D

Gasp! You mean the free market hasn't solved this problem already?

/sarcasm

V4Vendetta
03-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Anyone with a brain would know to shift to neutral

UtahApocalypse
03-17-2010, 04:23 PM
I've never heard it mentioned on the news, but then again, I don't watch much news.

So your bitching that you never saw something on the news you don't watch?

RideTheDirt
03-17-2010, 05:22 PM
My local station DID say this, and even said not to believe rumours that neutral would not work. The national MSM just fear mongers about the subject though.

RCA
03-17-2010, 06:53 PM
So your bitching that you never saw something on the news you don't watch?

see the bold below

My local station DID say this, and even said not to believe rumours that neutral would not work. The national MSM just fear mongers about the subject though.

At Utah:

This is all I saw on the news I DID watch. I heard "run for your life it's a Toyota" about 500 times in the last month, but never once heard the word "neutral". So, if that means I'm bitching, then, yes, I'm bitching.

I said I didn't watch much news because I don't. I took Melissa's response for granted and assumed she was right and I just happened to miss all the times they talked about what to do in that scenario. Then, other posters confirmed that it wasn't said in the MSM, or very rarely, and now I take back my not watching very much news comment because I was pretty much right to begin with.

Next time contribute to the conversion please.

Exhales...