PDA

View Full Version : John Adams to us: About 223 Years Ago

Cowlesy
03-16-2010, 08:11 PM
"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it." - John Adams April 26, 1777

http://www.familytales.org/dbDisplay.php?id=ltr_jod2912

That's the money quote. The rest of the letter to his wife, Abigail Adams, is below.

[Philadelphia], Saturday Evening, 26 April, 1777.

I HAVE been lately more remiss than usual in writing to you. There has been a great dearth of news. Nothing from England, nothing from France, Spain or any other part of Europe, nothing from the West Indies nothing from Howe and his banditti, nothing from General Washington. There are various conjectures that Lord Howe is dead, sick, or gone to England, as the proclamations run in the name of Will. Howe only, and nobody from New York can tell any thing of his lordship.

I am wearied out with expectations that the Massachusctls troops would have arrived, ere now, at Head Quarters. Do our people intend to leave the continent in the lurch? Do they mean to submit? or what fatality attends them? With the noblest prize in view that ever mortals contended for, and with the fairest prospect of obtaining it upon easy terms, the people of the Massachusetts Bay are dead. Docs our state intend to send only half, or a third of their quota ? Do they wish to see another crippled, disastrous and disgraceful campaign, for want of an army ? I am more sick and more ashamed of my own countrymen, than ever I was before. The spleen, the vapors, the dismals, the horrors seem to have seized our whole state. More wrath than terror has seized rne. I am very mad. The gloomy cowardice of the times is intolerable in New England. Indeed I feel not a little out of humor from indisposition of body. You know I cannot pass a spring, or fall without an ill turn, and I have had one these four or five weeks. A cold as usual. Warm weather and a little exercise with a little medicine, I suppose, will cure me, as usual. I am not confined, but mope about and drudge, as usual, like a galley slave. I am a fool, if ever there was one, to be such a slave. I won t be much longer. I will be more free in some world or other. Is it not intolerable, that the opening spring, which I should enjoy with my wife and children, upon my little farm, should pass away, and laugh at me for laboring, day after day, and month after month, in a conclave, where neither taste, nor fancy, nor reason, nor passion* nor appetite can be gratified ?

Posterity ! you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom! I hope you will make a good use of it If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.

Sorry Mr. Adams, we blew it.

tmosley
03-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Who's we, Kemosabe?

I'm making quite good use of what's left, and am working to restore the rest.

Anti Federalist
03-16-2010, 08:16 PM
I am more sick and more ashamed of my own countrymen, than ever I was before. The spleen, the vapors, the dismals, the horrors seem to have seized our whole state. More wrath than terror has seized rne. I am very mad. The gloomy cowardice of the times is intolerable in New England

Thus is the human condition...

Through all times, in all places, cowardice, weakness and narrow self interest betray greater endeavors.

Sad, like a punch in gut...

Cowlesy
03-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Who's we, Kemosabe?

I'm making quite good use of what's left, and am working to restore the rest.

t-mos,

People are afraid to not even fill out their census form in entirety because of the fines the government threatens.

At least Judge Napolitano and Walter Williams will be committing civil disobedience (in the eyes of our overseers).

YouTube - Walter E Williams on the Census (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=matl8i9kc7w&feature=player_embedded)

axiomata
03-16-2010, 08:45 PM
"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it." - John Adams April 26, 1777

I got teary-eyed with that quote during the Adams HBO miniseries.

Anti Federalist
03-16-2010, 08:51 PM
t-mos,

People are afraid to not even fill out their census form in entirety because of the fines the government threatens.

At least Judge Napolitano and Walter Williams will be committing civil disobedience (in the eyes of our overseers).

YouTube - Walter E Williams on the Census (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=matl8i9kc7w&feature=player_embedded)

I was gonna post that Ventura - "Slack jawed ******s" quote, but this is too serious a subject.

III Percent brother, III percent.

amy31416
03-16-2010, 08:58 PM
t-mos,

You're right.

My form goes back with nothing more than the #1.

It is an "easy" position to take though, when you can afford the fines that they may impose. Money is not really substantial in our current system, but it still has the value to buy food, pay rent/mortgages or bills--or hire a lawyer. It's not an easy call to make when you're the only one who will have to pay the price.

Either way though. Just writing in the number, leaving it at that and seeing what happens.

Scofield
03-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Great quote, depressing as well.

qh4dotcom
03-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Yep, sorry Mr. Adams, The Democrats and neo-cons blew it.

UtahApocalypse
03-21-2010, 10:22 AM
You're right.

My form goes back with nothing more than the #1.

It is an "easy" position to take though, when you can afford the fines that they may impose. Money is not really substantial in our current system, but it still has the value to buy food, pay rent/mortgages or bills--or hire a lawyer. It's not an easy call to make when you're the only one who will have to pay the price.

Either way though. Just writing in the number, leaving it at that and seeing what happens.

paying any fines is just as stupid as filling out the form to begin with. You want to PAY for your rights??

I will answer 2 Persons. That will be all I will answer. I will also include the "Constitution" letter that was posted on this forum.

Should they charge me a fine I will go to court over it. i will take it to trial all the way to the Supreme Court if needed.

They come to arrest me? I will be armed and ready to give my life for; my families, my fellow Americans, and my freedom. i will not give that freedom away.

The same applies to income tax, and this health care shit. I am done with it.

How far are you willing to go?

pcosmar
03-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Yup.
but it was blown long before I came on the scene and became aware.
I have no posterity to pass anything on to.
I am fighting for self preservation. I expect to have a few years left.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0a/Gulo_gulo_2.jpg/800px-Gulo_gulo_2.jpg

The wolverine (Gulo gulo), also referred to as a glutton and occasionally as a carcajou, skunk bear, quickhatch, or gulon, is the largest land-dwelling species of the Mustelidae (weasel) family in the genus Gulo (Latin: "glutton"). It is a stocky and muscular carnivore, more closely resembling a small bear than other mustelids. The wolverine has a reputation for ferocity and strength out of proportion to its size, with the documented ability to kill prey many times its size.

:cool:

CountryboyRonPaul
03-21-2010, 10:30 AM

The people that voted for them blew it.

You can't blame a tiger for his stripes.

FrankRep
03-21-2010, 10:32 AM

That breaks my heart. :(

Live_Free_Or_Die
03-21-2010, 11:18 AM
It's bullshit to blame any one else. I invite everyone to take a long hard look in the mirror with me because those people in the mirror are the people who are blowing it.

I am going to air a gripe as I have tried to reach out to some of my tenured piers around here and I can't even get some people to engage in a friendly skype or phone conversation...

After two plus years we should have little use for a public forum except for ideological indoctrination or recruitment to the base. We should all be meeting, conversing, and building trust. There should be no reason for hostilities amongst ourselves because we should be building personal relationships.

After the Ron Paul campaign instead of begging Ron Paul to be a group leader The Liberty Club should have been formed.

There are monumental divides on ideology and strategy and these compromises or solutions are not going to be found on an internet forum.

Little clicks have formed during the campaign whether they are local, ideological, or common interest and staying in the social comfort zones of our clicks is not going to get liberty from point A to point B.

Bucjason
03-21-2010, 11:47 AM

Not yet ...the fight has just begun.

The American spirit is not yet completely dead...in fact it is very stubborn and hard to kill. I have a feeling we will not go as quietly as modern politicians think we will...

Juan McCain
03-21-2010, 12:01 PM
I hope you will make a good use of it If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.

rest Mr. Adams . . . the torch has been passed on well from yee Founding Fathers

YouTube - Ron Paul Was Right ........ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBTMRExG_ZI&feature=related)

YouTube - Eisenhower on the Military Industrial Complex (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdrGKwkmxAU&feature=related)

Cowlesy
03-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Good points all.

This horse-hockey on C-SPAN right now is just an even louder call for us to get everyone involved!

BillyDkid
03-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Problem is, the rule of law counts for nothing any longer. The law is what the people in power say it is. The federal government has gone so far beyond the powers delegated to it by the Constitution that there is no way back. You can't get there from here.