PDA

View Full Version : Nanotech Energy Source Discovered | Electricity from Carbon Nanotubes

FrankRep
03-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Researchers led by MIT's Dr. Michael Strano have discovered an energy source from nanotechnology, producing large amounts of electricity from tiny cylinders made from carbon atoms, called carbon nanotubes. By Selwyn Duke

Nanotech Energy Source Discovered
(http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/tech-mainmenu-30/energy/3133-nanotech-energy-source-discovered)

Selwyn Duke | The New American (http://www.thenewamerican.com/)
16 March 2010

Could you imagine a laptop battery that lasted for 500 hours? How about an electric car that boasts a range many times that of a gasoline vehicle? For that matter, think about environmental sensors that could be scattered into the air like dust and collect data. While the last thing might not exactly be what you want for Christmas, a breakthrough in energy production made by MIT researchers could make such technology a reality during the next few years.

The process, dubbed “thermopower waves” by its discoverer, MIT’s Dr. Michael Strano, does nothing less than open up “a new area of energy research, which is rare,” says the scientist. MSNBC’s Michelle Bryner describes the phenomenon and its applications in brief, writing (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35466087/ns/technology_and_science-innovation/):

Researchers have found a way to produce large amounts of electricity from tiny cylinders made from carbon atoms.

The achievement could replace decades-old methods of generating electricity, such as combustion engines and turbines, the researchers say.

The cylinders are known as “carbon nanotubes,” which are, writes (http://theenergycollective.com/TheEnergyCollective/60895) The Energy Collective, “submicroscopic hollow tubes made of a ‘chicken-wire-like’ lattice of carbon atoms.”

To describe the process in more detail, the MIT researchers took the nanotubes, applied a layer of fuel, and then ignited them at one end, creating a “fast-moving thermal [heat] wave traveling along the length of the carbon nanotube like a flame speeding along the length of a lit fuse,” explains (http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/mar2010/2010-03-08-091.html) the Environment News Service (ENS). This process is facilitated by the fact that nanotubes conduct heat far better than metals — up to 100 times faster. Then, getting more technical still, ENS writes, “As the heat feeds back to the fuel coating, a thermal wave is created that is guided along the nanotube. With a temperature of 3,000 kelvins [sic] (2,726 degrees Celsius or 4,940 degrees Fahrenheit) this ring of heat speads [sic] along the tube 10,000 times faster than the normal spread of this chemical reaction.”

This is where Dr. Strano and his team experienced their Ivory Soap moment. While Strano claims to be the first scientist to predict that thermal waves coursing through a nanotube could create electric current, the great amount of it yielded was not predicted by thermoelectric calculations. “Lo and behold,” said the scientist, “we were really surprised by the size of the resulting voltage peak.” Strano and his team have called this unexpected phenomenon “electron entrainment,” “since part of the current appears to scale with wave velocity,” said Strano.

Because this energy source is so new, it’s hard to predict what the practical applications will be. However, the thermopower-wave process produces 100 times the energy per unit of weight of the average lithium-ion battery. Additionally, Strano says that such a power source would be composed of non-toxic substances, eliminating the disposal problems posed by current-generation energy cells.

The technology could also be used to help create sensors the size of a grain of rice that could be injected into the body and used to monitor health (e.g., heart function), administer medical treatment or, well, use your imagination. There are some ominous implications as well.

One obvious use of the technology, however, would be to create practical electric fuel cells for automobiles. One common drawback of electric cars is that they typically have a very limited range relative to combustion engine vehicles, owing to the fact that gasoline contains far more energy per unit of weight than today’s electric fuel cells. But thermopower-wave generation could change that, providing light, long-range batteries and relatively inexpensive electricity. This could finally allow us to break our dependence on foreign oil.

Whatever the particulars, Dr. Strano’s discovery is just the latest frontier in the staggering field of nanotechnology. The science of manipulating matter on the molecular and even atomic levels, it is quickly making science fiction, science fact.

SOURCE:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/tech-mainmenu-30/energy/3133-nanotech-energy-source-discovered

Bruno
03-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Exciting! Nanatubes are amazing.

Of course, they had to go here: "The technology could also be used to help create sensors the size of a grain of rice that could be injected into the body and used to monitor health (e.g., heart function), administer medical treatment or, well, use your imagination. There are some ominous implications as well."

Bern
03-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Very "cool".

Working Poor
03-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Exciting! Nanatubes are amazing.

Of course, they had to go here: "The technology could also be used to help create sensors the size of a grain of rice that could be injected into the body and used to monitor health (e.g., heart function), administer medical treatment or, well, use your imagination. There are some ominous implications as well."

Why do they have to go there?

BenIsForRon
03-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Not an energy source. Just a storage medium.

It is a promising storage medium, but you shouldn't mix the two, as it could lead to false optimism.

tmosley
03-16-2010, 10:35 AM
It is a non-renewable storage medium, but with a higher energy density, very much like gasoline, except that we make it rather than refining it from oil out of the ground.

jkr
03-16-2010, 10:53 AM
i need to know what all the precursors are...i am doing a bill of material...:D

orafi
03-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Won't this make for more efficient nuclear energy?

TastyWheat
03-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Not an energy source. Just a storage medium.

It is a promising storage medium, but you shouldn't mix the two, as it could lead to false optimism.
That's pretty much what I gleaned from this article. It seems like it augments any energy produced by heat (they mention adding layers of "fuel") so this may lead to greater efficiency in solar applications or devices running off your body heat, but this isn't exactly an energy source in it's own right.

Bruno
03-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Why do they have to go there?

Whenever there is a new technology, government will exploit a way to use it against their own people. That's what I meant. This could be a huge step forward in RFID and chip technology.

awake
03-16-2010, 11:19 AM
My guess is that the electricity break through apllications will be used as bait to fund the tracking and control applications of the technology.

Nuclear technology went the same way - we devised an incinerated extinction many multiples over and nearly outlawed any commercial and peaceful use of the technology.

Economically speaking this advance would make obsolete the old energy paradigm. That is if it works. If it doesn't, it will be just another ponzi scheme.

Ninja Homer
03-16-2010, 11:29 AM
This is the part that stuck out for me:

"While Strano claims to be the first scientist to predict that thermal waves coursing through a nanotube could create electric current, the great amount of it yielded was not predicted by thermoelectric calculations. “Lo and behold,” said the scientist, “we were really surprised by the size of the resulting voltage peak.” Strano and his team have called this unexpected phenomenon “electron entrainment,” “since part of the current appears to scale with wave velocity,” said Strano."

This is MIT, not some garage tinkerers. It put out a lot more electric current than their thermoelectric calculations predicted. So what's wrong with the thermoelectric model?

Obviously, not everything is known about how electricity works. Somebody else may have had the same idea of generating electricity, but not even bother to experiment with it because the model calculated that it wouldn't generate enough current to be a useful discovery.

Physics models (accepted laws of physics, formulas, calculations, etc) are useful for creating things that use the laws of physics to your advantage, but the laws of physics must be continually tested. Nothing should be assumed or taken for granted, and everything should be experimented on, regardless of what the laws of physics say will happen.

BuddyRey
03-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Do you think the collusion between government and the oil & natural gas companies will allow this technology to come to market?

I mean, I hope I'm wrong, but this seems like a technology those folks would stop at nothing to prevent.

jkm1864
03-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Yeah this is still fine and dandy but you still need to put energy in to get the same energy out. We have had options for years. I am not an enviromental nut but it's pretty stinking obvious that the earth only has so many resources. We could be energy independent if we wanted to.

We could stop using plastics out of petroleum and make them out of plant fibers. We could go back to paper wrappings for food. We could also go back to steel and glass. Our fuel of choice could be natural gas instead of petroleum. Our country is run by total morons and I swear my five year old could do a better job.

jkm1864
03-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Do you think the collusion between government and the oil & natural gas companies will allow this technology to come to market?

I mean, I hope I'm wrong, but this seems like a technology those folks would stop at nothing to prevent.

I'm sure it will come out in the future because oil is becoming harder and harder to find. Yes the technology has gotten better but we are using it faster than we can find it and produce it. I wouldn't mind oil sticking around for another 30 years or so considering that I work offshore but it's getting critical. Our society would go through utter he'll in no time if we had an oil embargo. We have no alternatives and nothing is being done about it in the future. I think when it gets to the point that you are starting wars so the American people can live comfortably with their huge SUVs it's time for a change.

Ninja Homer
03-16-2010, 12:49 PM

If the invention looks promising, and looks like it could compete with the profit of current energy sources, then they'll probably do their best to suppress it. However, with the internet, and this being a published invention from MIT, it may be hard.

Think about it... a decent inexpensive off-the-grid energy source is a game-ender for the NWO.

Here's a list of supposedly suppressed energy inventions: http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Suppression