PDA

View Full Version : Progressives SALIVATING over the rise of the Objectivists and Libert Minded Folks

AuH20
03-16-2010, 08:22 AM
Despite the numerous errors in the article, I thought you might enjoy a chuckle or two.

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/feature/2010/03/15/ayn_rand/

FrankRep
03-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Why is this great news for progressives? The American conservative movement enjoyed its successes only after William F. Buckley Jr. expelled Rand and her followers from the movement in the late 1950s.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MYK7YGZ5L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/William-F-Buckley-Jr-Establishment/dp/1881919064

William F. Buckley, Jr.: Pied Piper for the Establishment
John F. McManus, JBS President

Neoconservatism Explained:
William F. Buckley Jr.: the Establishment’s “House Conservative”
http://www.jbs.org/jbs-news-feed/457-william-f-buckley-jr-the-establishments-house-conservative

Pragmatists? Neoconservatives? What's the Difference?
http://www.jbs.org/jbs-news-feed/744-pragmatists-neoconservatives-whats-the-difference

FrankRep
03-16-2010, 08:51 AM
The only Republican to be elected in that era, Dwight Eisenhower, ran for the presidency in 1952 to save the GOP from Taftian isolationism and dismissively rejected suggestions that the Republicans try to repeal New Deal programs like Social Security.

William Howard Taft, that evil isolationist!

Dreamofunity
03-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Who the hell is Paul Ryan? It's funny how they prop him up as something huge, use his ideas to refute, and ignore all of Ron's ideas but somehow group him with Ryan. Who needs a strawman when you have Ryan?

"Ryan would use a national value-added tax (a good idea) to replace income, capital gains and estate taxes (a terrible idea)."
Uh... Terrible then good.

"Other countries that do not have single-payer systems have avoided cancerous cost inflation by means of "all-payer regulation," in which the government sets the prices ("fee schedules") of all medical services and goods, private as well as public. Obama and the Democrats are too intimidated by the health industry lobby even to talk about the primary method of health cost containment used everywhere else, as well as in the state of Maryland, which has its own successful rate-setting system."

That sounds so disgusting.

AuH20
03-16-2010, 09:00 AM
The progressives' day of reckoning is fast approaching and they're scrambling for the exits. Medicare and Social Security is imploding and the remnants of LBJ's Great Society is on life support. We will have the last laugh. What do you call a progressive who can't throw around someone else's money any longer? OBSOLETE!!!!

TheBlackPeterSchiff
03-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Why are progressives so clueless?

tmosley
03-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Yup, they think they are smart, but the money is already gone. We are the only ones who can take the mantle after they, along with the neoconservatives, destroyed our nation. The US will be rebuilt, but likely out of whole cloth. Next time, we'll get it right, and explicitly denounce these types of people and the policies they represent in the founding document.

mczerone
03-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Why are progressives so clueless?

Because they think they know everything.

Honestly, if you asked most "libertarians" if they knew how to structure society, they'd mostly say "no, but I'd like to try my own successes and failures."

If you asked "progressives", they'd say that they, or some form of central planner, is able to know everything and structure society accordingly, and any failures must be due only to faulty implementation.

Pure Egoism, paired with disdain for others, is what shapes the progressive mindset. Realism and tolerance beget the mind of liberty.

AuH20
03-16-2010, 09:38 AM

Honestly, if you asked most "libertarians" if they knew how to structure society, they'd mostly say "no, but I'd like to try my own successes and failures."

If you asked "progressives", they'd say that they, or some form of central planner, is able to know everything and structure society accordingly, and any failures must be due only to faulty implementation.

Pure Egoism, paired with disdain for others, is what shapes the progressive mindset. Realism and tolerance beget the mind of liberty.

Remember the movie Jurassic Park? We're the grounded, empirical focused mathematician Ian Malcolm and the progressives are the deluded John Hammond, thinking he could ignore the destructive variables associated with the reviving of the dinosaur species. When I think of the current situation we're mired in, I'm reminded of the scene when the electrified border fences are shut down and chaos ensues. :D We've almost reached that critical point as a society.

specsaregood
03-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Remember the movie Jurassic Park? We're the grounded, empirical focused mathematician Ian Malcolm and the progressives are the deluded John Hammond, thinking he could ignore the destructive variables associated with the reviving of the dinosaur species. When I think of the current situation we're mired in, I'm reminded of the scene when the electrified border fences are shut down and chaos ensues. :D We've almost reached that critical point as a society.

What a delightful change of pace from the usual zombie horde references, the dinosaur reference!

Epic
03-16-2010, 10:22 AM
LOL the article claims Ron Paul named his son after Ayn Rand.

Dammit!

Oh and Paul Ryan has voted for virtually every big-government bill ever written - TARP, car bailouts, prescription drug bill, etc.... he's no libertarian

constituent
03-16-2010, 10:26 AM
The progressives' day of reckoning is fast approaching and they're scrambling for the exits.

agreed.

tremendoustie
03-16-2010, 10:32 AM
"Progressives" love to associate Rand with libertarianism. She's their favorite punching bag, because she fits so well into their "those who live freedom are cold hearted and selfish" meme. Unfortunately, it's a total lie. I, for emample, am no fan of Rand's personal philosophy, and there are many kind, generous hearted people who simply recognize that financing charity by pulling a gun on their neighbors is immoral. Many believe we should be charitable, and encourage charity, but that that doesn't excuse violence and coercion.

The "progressives" are only fooling themselves.

low preference guy
03-16-2010, 10:44 AM
The article talks about how the public will never accept the privatization of Social Security, so we'll always have it.

I laugh, because I know that it will end anyway through bankruptcy; it'll become impossible to pay. Apparently that thought didn't even cross the mind of that clueless "progressive".

FrankRep
03-16-2010, 10:50 AM
The article talks about how the public will never accept the privatization of Social Security, so we'll always have it.

I laugh, because I know that it will end anyway through bankruptcy; it'll become impossible to pay. Apparently that thought didn't even cross the mind of that clueless "progressive".

Yep. Social Security will End: either the Easy Way or the Hard Way.

Social Security Trust Fund in Red, Drawing on Federal IOUs
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/economy/sectors-mainmenu-46/3134-social-security-trust-fund-in-the-red-its-now-drawing-on-federal-ious

Social Security’s Nest Egg is Officially Cracked
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/economy/economics-mainmenu-44/3132-social-securitys-nest-egg-is-officially-cracked

Ponzi Schemes and Social Security
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/economy/commentary-mainmenu-43/2669-ponzi-schemes-and-social-security

silentshout
03-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Funny, now that the libertarians are taking back the GOP I am much more interested in the GOP. The neocons scared me, frankly.

I think this article is dead wrong, and yes, most progressives have their heads in the sand about where this country is going. Most of my friends are pretty progressive with lofty ideals but they don't get that we are bankrupt and that people are just tired of more and more government..hello?

silentshout
03-16-2010, 12:00 PM

Yes, I totally agree with you. Spot on.

Ninja Homer
03-16-2010, 12:11 PM
According to the article, I should probably know who the hell Paul Ryan is, but I had to look it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Ryan_%28politician%29

"On May 21, 2008 Ryan introduced H.R. 6110, titled "Roadmap for America's Future Act of 2008".[2] This proposed legislation outlined a plan to deal with entitlement issues. Its stated objectives were to ensure universal access to health insurance; strengthen Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security; lift the debt from future generations; and promote economic growth and job creation in America."

Yeah, I bet he's at the top of every libertarian's list. :D

low preference guy
03-16-2010, 12:16 PM
^ yep. Ryan also voted for the bailout.