PDA

View Full Version : (FAIL) Detroit Public School Prez be illiterate as hell yo.

Libertini
03-15-2010, 08:50 PM
http://detnews.com/article/20100304/OPINION03/3040437/Does-DPS-leader-s-writing-send-wrong-message

Does DPS leader's writing send wrong message?

The president of the Detroit school board, Otis Mathis, is waging a legal battle to steer the academic future of 90,000 children, in the nation's lowest-achieving big city district.

He also acknowledges he has difficulty composing a coherent English sentence. Here's a sample from an e-mail he sent to friends and supporters on Sunday night, uncorrected for errors of spelling, grammar, punctuation and usage. It begins:

If you saw Sunday's Free Press that shown Robert Bobb the emergency financial manager for Detroit Public Schools, move Mark Twain to Boynton which have three times the number seats then students and was one of the reason's he gave for closing school to many empty seats.

The rest of the e-mail, and others that Mathis has written, demonstrate what one of his school board colleagues describes, carefully, as "his communication issues." But if these deficits have limited Mathis, as he admits they have, they have not stopped him from graduating from high school and college. In January, his peers elected him president by a 10-1 vote over Tyrone Winfrey, a University of Michigan academic officer.

"I'm a horrible writer. I know that," says Mathis, 56, a lifelong resident of southwest Detroit. His difficulties with language were spotted as early as fourth grade, when he was placed in special education classes. His college degree was held up for more than a decade because he repeatedly failed an English proficiency exam then required for graduation at Wayne State University.

squarepusher
03-16-2010, 01:28 AM
a sad world you live in, where someone moderately illiterate can't be a Public School President ...

angelatc
03-16-2010, 05:28 AM
He isn't actually illiterate. Even his critics point out that he can read and indeed memorize complex legal documents. He has charisma, and is a good leader.

But, apparently he doesn't have enough sense to have an assistant review his written correspondence.

My biggest problems with the guy are:
1 That he is proud of his deficiencies. Telling kids that it doesn't matter if you can read or write is pretty irresponsible from an administrator.

2 That his school district is the worst in the nation.

3 That he accepts that an unstable home life will produce illiterate kids, so we all just have to expect that.

FreeTraveler
03-16-2010, 06:32 AM
Par for Detroit, the canary in the cage of American cities. I expect it to be the first to burn when things really start to collapse.

Icymudpuppy
03-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Par for Detroit, the canary in the cage of American cities. I expect it to be the first to burn when things really start to collapse.

That canary is already dead. It's just still twitching.

sevin
03-16-2010, 07:14 AM
But if these deficits have limited Mathis, as he admits they have, they have not stopped him from graduating from high school and college.

Wow, I wonder how much the college charged him for his "education."

Wolverine302
03-16-2010, 08:01 AM
As long as the residents in Detroit have a black individual in charge, in any position, they dont care about expectations, results, accountability, or even ethics-- just as long as its being held by a colored guy/gal.

thats really the criteria these people have for administrators and politicians.

angelatc
03-16-2010, 08:04 AM
Wow, I wonder how much the college charged him for his "education."

They actually did stop him from graduating for a while. He couldn't pass some writing requirement, so he didn't get a diploma at the end of his school career. At some point, the Michigan Legislature removed that requirement, and he just went into their business office and picked up the diploma.

And based on his description of his home life as a child, I doubt he paid anything for his college education. That right there is what your Mom and Dad got for their tax money.

brandon
03-16-2010, 08:27 AM
This thread is racist. I'm alerting the NAACP.

angelatc
03-16-2010, 08:32 AM
This thread is racist. I'm alerting the NAACP.

Did they just call African Americans "colored?" That's racist. I'm alerting the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Soca Taliban
03-16-2010, 08:45 AM
If I undastan the artikle corekkly, he is ables to gets hiz deegree onli after dey droppped the English profishencee requirement. :eek:

TheBlackPeterSchiff
03-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Govament skoolz is the only option to learn the kids how to speak :)

KCIndy
03-16-2010, 11:50 AM
nt mch dffrnt frm 2dayz avg 15 yr old who writz evrytng N txt !!! *

*my apologies to any real 15 year old texters for any inaccuracies in the above statement. The author came of age long ago, in the days before cell phones, personal computers, the internet and iPods, aka the early Cambrian period.

ammorris
03-16-2010, 12:22 PM
wwhhhhyyyy iiiiiiissss tttthhhheeee nnnnnnnneeeewwwwww tttthhhhhiiiinnnng wwwiiiiittthhhhh kkkkiiiiiiiddddddssss tttttooo rreeeeepppppeeeeaaattt lllleeeetttttteeeerrrrsssss aaa bbuuunnnccchhh oooffff ttttiiimmmmeeeeessss??????

(Geez, I can't even type like that.)

Pericles
03-16-2010, 02:27 PM
nt mch dffrnt frm 2dayz avg 15 yr old who writz evrytng n txt !!! *

*my apologies to any real 15 year old texters for any inaccuracies in the above statement. The author came of age long ago, in the days before cell phones, personal computers, the internet and ipods, aka the early cambrian period.

lmao:d