PDA

View Full Version : Romney to Tea Partiers: "Don't be so independent minded"

Cowlesy
03-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Money quote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100312/ts_ynews/ynews_ts1244

Even former, and likely future Republican presidential aspirant Mitt Romney, who ran hard for evangelical support during the 2008 primary season, has urged the Tea Party leaders not to be quite so independent minded, cautioning that if they mount direct electoral challenges outside the GOP establishment, they will produce a "divide and fail" strategy.

Christian right leaders deeply troubled by the growing Tea Party movement

Is the Tea Party insurgency fueling discontent on the evangelical right? The small-government grass-roots movement, determined to halt tax cuts and health care reform, is increasingly at odds with the family-values flank of the GOP, which stresses hot-button cultural issues such as abortion and gay marriage. As Politico's Ben Smith reported Friday, evangelical leaders on the right are dismayed by what they see as neglect of the social conservative agenda among the libertarian-leaning Tea Partiers. And prominent politicians who've historically been friendly to social conservative causes, like South Carolina Senator Jim DeMint, are now moving to align themselves with the Tea Party, much to the chagrin of some within the GOP.

Certainly Tea Party strategists aren't doing much to calm the worries of the culture warriors. As Smith notes, a grass-roots group called the Tea Party Patriots is pushing for a revised version of the Contract With America, which helped Republicans to take control of Congress in 1994. The group has set up a website where visitors can select 10 issues they'd like to see included in the new "Contract From America." The ballot includes 21 issues—with abortion, gay marriage and other hot-button culture-war issues nowhere to be found. "They're free to do it, but they can't say [the new contract] represents America," Family Research Council President Tony Perkins told Politico. "If they do it they're lying."

Listen up Evangelical right establishment, Tea Partiers are evangelicals, non-evangelicals, atheists, agnostics, jews, muslims, buddhists and find common ground as AMERICANS, so either HELP OUT, or get the F out of the way.

RedStripe
03-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Haha at least Romney deserves credit for being honest.

And I have to agree, the most promising part of the Tea Party movement is that it isn't full of bible-thumpers like every other bigoted, warmongering, ignorant and gullible right-wing movement as of the last 30 years (Pat Buchanan's run aside).

tremendoustie
03-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Here's the problem, Mitt: Electing people like you IS failure.

zach
03-15-2010, 06:54 PM
"Don't think for yourselves, you naughty kids!"

hahahahahaha

catdd
03-15-2010, 06:54 PM
"Don't be so independent minded"

Come back to the herd and be good little sheep like the rest of us.

TC95
03-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Translation: Don't screw up the two-party system. We don't like competition.

amy31416
03-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Lord knows he isn't.

Bruno
03-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Translation: Don't screw up the two-party system. We don't like competition.

Then it is up to the GOP to come over and support Tea Party candidates when they know the candidate is better if they want show their true desire to bring back the party to its conservative roots.

Ain't gonna happen, but that is what they should do.

georgiaboy
03-15-2010, 07:32 PM
What's the worry - that the evangelical right will splinter off the GOP because of a lack of prioritization of social issues during potentially the darkest economic times of our lives?

Where will the evangelicals go? Or will they just stay home? puzzling.

Anti Federalist
03-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Hey Mittens:
http://iconicphotos.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/johnny-cash-finger-2.jpg
Yours truly,

Anti Federalist

Cowlesy
03-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Hey Mittens:
Yours truly,

Anti Federalist

Post of the month!

Anti Federalist
03-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Post of the month!

Awesome !!

Brett
03-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Yet who here would be surprised if he won the nomination in 2012? :(

Stary Hickory
03-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Romney is an idiot. I don't want to see 4 moe years of these Dems eithr, but I also want the Republican party to do what they say. I am tired of them saying they are for limited government and constitutional law when they break these promises year after year.

tremendoustie
03-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Post of the month!

yep

tonesforjonesbones
03-15-2010, 10:04 PM
well Ron Paul said he isn't running and he is looking toward retirement. sigh. Who else is there? I'd consider Jim Demint if he decided to run, but I fear we are looking at Romney...after all it's his "turn". How in the heck do you pick a candidate because it's his "turn"? that's the damndest thing I've ever heard. tones

tropicangela
03-15-2010, 10:14 PM
well Ron Paul said he isn't running and he is looking toward retirement. sigh.

missed it. when?

Bruno
03-15-2010, 10:27 PM
well Ron Paul said he isn't running and he is looking toward retirement. sigh. Who else is there? I'd consider Jim Demint if he decided to run, but I fear we are looking at Romney...after all it's his "turn". How in the heck do you pick a candidate because it's his "turn"? that's the damndest thing I've ever heard. tones

link or tubes or it didn't happen

PreDeadMan
03-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Mittens needs to pull the wool back over his eyes and repeat the neocon agenda

0zzy
03-15-2010, 10:35 PM
missed it. when?

She somehow misconstrued Rand+Ron CNN interview when Ron said, "if he wins perhaps I can give him the mantle and I can just fade away" (or something like that) as "I'm retiring."

Ron, I don't think, will be president. Rand, though, in 2016? :>

low preference guy
03-15-2010, 10:39 PM
She somehow misconstrued Rand+Ron CNN interview when Ron said, "if he wins perhaps I can give him the mantle and I can just fade away" (or something like that) as "I'm retiring."

Ron, I don't think, will be president. Rand, though, in 2016? :>

I think he could be. Whatever year he runs, I think he is more likely to win if we are not fighting any wars.

j6p
03-16-2010, 06:18 AM
Tones, you need to stop taking propaganda at face. He didnt say he was not running. Guess you missed the video of carol paul

Krugerrand
03-16-2010, 07:14 AM
Yet who here would be surprised if he won the nomination in 2012? :(

I'd be surprised. He had his chance and muffed it. The issues that have been holding him back: morman, MA Health Care, pro-life distrust - whether legit or not - have not changed and will continue to hold him back. That MA Health Care one will only get bigger.

RJB
03-16-2010, 08:29 AM
Why don't WE tell those neocons, "Quit dividing the republican party and start promoting champions of small government like Ron Paul or the GOP will keep losing."

The majority of GOP members will vote for any clown with an "R" whether it's a neocon or libertarian leaning candidate. The small gov republican WON'T vote for a neocon. Mitt needs to face that fact.

WE decide. Not them!

mczerone
03-16-2010, 08:35 AM
...cautioning that if they mount direct electoral challenges outside the GOP establishment, they will produce a "divide and fail" strategy.

Yes, its the tens of thousands of people demonstrating their political preference that are dividing the GOP and causing it to fail, not the tens of uber-elite GOP establishment puppet masters who insist on staying the course with failed policies, ideologies, and political strategies.

Take the hint Romney: The Tea Parties don't care if you and your clique take power, so either stop being so stubborn and collectively minded, and start caring about these people as individuals, or get out of the way of them exercising their democratic will.

(There is no way that the political apparatus is the means to achieving liberty, prosperity and peace. At best it must be used as an educational tool, and liberty-minded representatives should be focused on taming the beast while it is in its death throes.)

Original_Intent
03-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Well as much as Ron would like the mantle to transfer to Rand, and as much as I like Rand, the mantle is nto going to automagically go to Rand. I will need to see a solid term as Senator and standing firm on good principles before that transfer takes place for me, and I am guessing most feel the same.

I do not believe in family dynasties.

Rand appears promising, but he is going to have to earn my trust by walking the walk - just like his dad.

tremendoustie
03-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Well as much as Ron would like the mantle to transfer to Rand, and as much as I like Rand, the mantle is nto going to automagically go to Rand. I will need to see a solid term as Senator and standing firm on good principles before that transfer takes place for me, and I am guessing most feel the same.

I do not believe in family dynasties.

Rand appears promising, but he is going to have to earn my trust by walking the walk - just like his dad.

Yes. I am concerned that he may not be terribly principled -- or perhaps more accurately, that his principles are not entirely those of liberty. We shall see what he does in the Senate.

Based on current candidates, I find B.J. Lawson the most promising for "mantle carrier".

Fr3shjive
03-16-2010, 09:40 AM
hey mittens:
yours truly,

anti federalist

awesome!

DapperDan
03-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Independent minded? lol....sure. I'm on my way to being a part of the flock Romney..

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_o59km78giWk/Sanx4Es84FI/AAAAAAAABFo/6iQnlZMSJKU/S220/sheople4.jpg

Just kidding...

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/8/88/STFU-WW2-4Words.jpg

Anti Federalist
03-16-2010, 07:42 PM
///

j6p
03-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Heres a video of Carol Paul being asked about Ron Paul running again. This is for you TONES

YouTube - Carol Paul + Kelley Ashby Paul + Rand Paul Rally Interviews Lousiville Kentucky | YAL @ IU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPbkwgYQcqg)

Kylie
03-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Dear Mr. Romney,

I will never be less independent minded. There has never been a time in my life where I was not independent minded. You can see yourself to the door now, my good sir.

And please, by all means, be sure to go fuck yourself on your way out.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Hugs and Kisses,

Kylie

speciallyblend
03-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Heres a video of Carol Paul being asked about Ron Paul running again. This is for you TONES

YouTube - Carol Paul + Kelley Ashby Paul + Rand Paul Rally Interviews Lousiville Kentucky | YAL @ IU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPbkwgYQcqg)

Ron Paul 2012, only option left for me if the gop wants my vote!!!

tremendoustie
03-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Carol is awesome.

Anti Federalist
03-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Bumpage