PDA

View Full Version : An Interview with John Dennis

Brian4Liberty
03-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Race for San Francisco’s 8th District, John Dennis vs. Nancy Pelosi
By Bonnie Alba ⋅ March 5, 2010

Liberty Republican John Dennis (www.johndennis2010.com) is fairly new to active, political involvement. When citizens raised their voices and were ignored by their Washington representatives and senators, Dennis felt the call to step up to the plate and put his frustrations into positive action. He has officially declared he is campaigning against Nancy Pelosi for San Francisco’s 8th District House seat.

A conservative first, Dennis leans more to libertarian principles on social issues. He holds strong beliefs about the U.S. government’s role and the continuing intervention into citizens’ lives and states’ rights.

Curious about this man who has the courage to take on Pelosi, I arranged an interview with Mr. Dennis.

Do you think of yourself as a leader?

Dennis: First, I don’t think of myself as a leader; I think of myself as a guy with strong political convictions. Second, as someone who sees that the country is a mess and frankly we’ve betrayed our own principles. Third, I see a world for my daughter that will be much harder to live in than the one I grew up in.

What do you think of the leaders in Washington?

Dennis: I think of them as irresponsible, as far away from leadership as anything I can imagine. We are in debt, each of us, when you add up the current debt, the unfunded liabilities, the backstops to banks, loans, all the bailouts —- our quote-unquote leaders have put us all in debt to the tune of $300,000 apiece. That’s not leadership.

Look, Nancy Pelosi has been in office for 23 years. She and all those people (Congress) have had every opportunity and failed to address the most serious issues. We have a potential threat to the United States – not from without, but within. They have failed and it’s time for them to go. Let new people come and they’ll behave like leaders and like adults.

On Conservatives in Congress:

Dennis: Many have the nerve to call themselves conservatives but are they really at the end of the day? — 94 percent of the house members are reelected, continually with the idea of keeping their jobs.

As a Liberty Republican, what do you think you can provide in Washington’s political environment?

Dennis: I have the highest utmost respect for the Constitution; that 90 percent of what the federal government does, they shouldn’t be doing. The Tea Party movement is a reflection of an understanding that there is something wrong, really wrong; that the federal government is unilaterally breaking the contract with the people, with the states, and that’s the source of the problem.

Do you think both major parties have overstepped their constitution boundaries?

Dennis: (long pause)…Right. I’ve been a Republican for over 25 years. There’s a thin line between us and what could be the end of the United States. I’d like to not have to say this but … the truth is, the facts are that during 50s when republicans were in control of Congress and executive branch, they spent more than any administration since FDR. The last Bush administration spent more money than any administration since LBJ. These are not records to be proud of — so we have to not just elect republicans, but we have to weed out those Big Government Republicans and put the right folks in.

[He does note that the Republicans in the House have had courage over the last 14 months or so in standing up and saying no to the Obama/Reid/Pelosi healthcare bill.]

What are the steps we must take to return our nation back to constitutional limits and restraints?

Dennis: They’re not there (now) even though they have the blueprint (U.S. Constitution) right in front of them. The change must come from within, ascertaining what the “proper role of government” should be in our lives, and the states continue to assert their constitutional rights under 10th amendment privileges.

Do you believe the states now instituting legislation to reaffirm their sovereignty apart from the federal government, will that continue?

Dennis: I think it will continue. Let’s be blunt, what’s happened in Washington DC is criminal — so what happened is we expected crooks to respect some lines on a piece of paper. What we have to understand is force and leverage; and the states are going to have to step up and assert their leverage. States may arrive at a point of “do we need any more of this nonsense?”

Returning to role of government in our lives –for example– the Department of Education has a hold on all states. What is the solution?

Dennis: I’m for responsibly unwinding as quickly and painlessly as possible all the unconstitutional things we’re doing. What I would cut and abolish immediately and instantly without compunction is the Department of Education. It’s unconstitutional and belongs in the states, on the local level between parents and teachers as to what is best for the child.

Your Campaign website pretty much reflects the Republican view on healthcare — what about Tort Reform?

Dennis: My concern is the over-expansion of the federal government; that expansion always occurs at the expense of our individual liberties. Having Tort reform handed down, forced down onto states by the federal government doesn’t seem like a likely positive solution. I guess we have to get juries under control but I think it’s best left to the states to resolve that matter.

On the Healthcare bill:

Dennis: The healthcare bill was a giant step backwards, a giant leap in the wrong direction. What we should do is start to get the government out of the healthcare business. Government interference in the market had and has a corresponding increase in the costs of healthcare. If we disconnect the government from the healthcare business, the costs will decrease.

If the government gets out of the way the free market functions better. I’ll give you a scenario: Imagine tomorrow Pres. Obama, Reid and Pelosi stood in front the microphones and stated: We are all agreed that we will cut government spending starting immediately by 50 percent; abolish the capital gains tax and cut income taxes by one third. What would happen in the stock market that day and what would happen to the job markets? The economy would start growing almost overnight. That’s because the real and sustainable economy is always the private sector. The public sector (government) is just a drain.

Another way to look at it: If we really wanted all the services that the public sector offered, why would they have to force us to pay for them? Those things we pay for in the private sector, we “choose” to pay for. But the Government makes a mandate and then they force us to pay for them. This is not sustainable.

On Civil Liberties — example, abortion:

Dennis: An intensely personal issue for me — but I don’t think it is a settled issue — the Supreme court should never have heard the case of Roe versus Wade — This should never have been legislated from the top down; it should have remained in the states and decided as locally as possible. I don’t care which side of the argument you’re on, this is something we should all agree on.

Under the Bill of rights, the real battle is between the individual and government. It’s patriots who stand up against government … and fight for their rights across the board.

I’m as concerned as anyone about the safety of my child, anyone’s family and the Republic. We should take great care when allowing government to control or legislate laws which usurp our civil liberties.

On government Debt:

Dennis: Washington fantasizes that they create something out of nothing. The only thing that creates wealth is savings and production of savings comes from private transactions. The only things we end up with (from Washington) is corruption. We have to find a way to hold them to account when corruption occurs. I think it should go beyond just being voted out of office. The character of people we elect should be primary in our selection of any person for office.

How would you avoid being corrupted as so many have been? Or, compromising your principles?

Dennis: All we have here is this one, short life and the most important things are what each of us believes including our values and principles. Aside from my family, nothing gives me more satisfaction than standing up and fighting for what I believe. No one and nothing can buy my integrity and I hope I go to my grave with my integrity intact.

In summary John Dennis is taking the biggest risk of his life. But he is a strong constitutionalist and fiscal conservative which are what our nation needs at this time in the midst of our threatened economy and a government facing bankruptcy. It remains to be seen if San Francisco voters will retire Pelosi.

http://www.smallgovtimes.com/2010/03/race-for-san-franciscos-8th-district-john-dennis-vs-nancy-pelosi/