PDA

View Full Version : 10,000 pledge "liberty migration" to New Hampshire

DadaOrwell
03-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Free State Project hits 10,000 pledged-to-move

YouTube - NH: Free State Project hits 10,000 pledged "liberty migrants" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaW07OXA6gI)

Diggable at:
http://digg.com/politics/10_000_pledge_liberty_migration_to_New_Hampshire

Text of the news release:

March 15, 2010

America's most promising experiment in liberty, the Free State Project, officially signed its ten thousandth participant today. The organization is dedicated to migrating 20,000 pro-liberty activists who agree to downsize government to New Hampshire. The announcement comes in advance of the Free State Project's annual winter convention, the New Hampshire Liberty Forum.

Jason Sorens, founder of the Project, said, "This is a great milestone for us. It feels good to be half-way there. There's still much to do, but the project is continuing to grow and I am confident we'll reach our goal of 20,000 participants."

Participants come from many backgrounds but all agree to move to New Hampshire, where they will “exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property." The agreement avoids political labels and allows individual participants to set their own course to reach their goal.

"The Free State Project has no political platform or membership dues", Sorens stated. "We have participants who identify as conservative, classical liberal, libertarian, anarchist, voluntaryist, you name it. The things we care about are: Do you want more liberty and less government? Are you willing to work toward it? Are you going to be a good, neighborly person in your community? If so, the Free State Project may be just what you're looking for."

While no one is obligated to move until 20,000 people have joined, 800 participants are already in New Hampshire. Four have been elected to the state house and dozens more to local offices. Members have founded or supported organizations around issues such as lowering taxes, gun rights, drug law reform, spending caps, homeschooling, marriage freedom, privacy protection, and state sovereignty. They have also started media outlets such as nationally syndicated radio show Free Talk Live, YouTube sensations like The Ridley Report, and print publications like the New Hampshire Free Press.

FSP president Varrin Swearingen noted that "the FSP is more than just being politically active, it's also about community. Several cities have regular social meetings with dozens in attendance. Members have met their spouse through the Project. There is a full social calendar of parties, hikes, game nights, you name it. Come for the liberty, stay for the community."

Early mover Margot Keyes of Epsom commented, "Many people move for jobs or family, but rarely get a chance to move for their ideals. Why not move to where you can find jobs, a lovely environment in which to live a freer life, as well as a community where your ideas are not only welcomed but shared?! Join the FSP community--live what you believe!"

When Swearingen was asked what the project is doing to reach the next 10,000 participants, he replied, "We are increasing our advertising, starting direct telephone outreach, and increasing our presence at pro-liberty events across the country. Now that members have moved to New Hampshire we have hundreds of natural ambassadors that can speak to how great it is here. One thing that sometimes holds people back is their practical need for a job. We now have extensive online resources available to help with that at http://freestateproject.org/jobs. Thankfully New Hampshire has the best economy in the northeast, which we hope to improve further."

Judge Andrew Napolitano recently said that "The Project is fascinating..." We certainly agree, and look forward to the Judge extending his remarks on this milestone at the Liberty Forum, where he will be the keynote speaker.

Updated info, action photo: http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=20097.msg238895#msg238895

Bergie Bergeron
03-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Nice.

BuddyRey
03-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Dugg, Tweeted, and Facebooked!

This is a moment worth celebrating!

gls
03-15-2010, 11:39 PM
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/674318-196/free-staters-halfway-home-to-20k-target.html?i=1

Free Staters halfway home to 20k target

The Free State Project is halfway toward reaching its goal of signing on 20,000 participants, with the aim of bringing them to New Hampshire, organizers say.

As of Monday afternoon, the number of Free Staters totaled 10,005, said project President Varrin Swearingen. Of those, about 800 now live in New Hampshire, including 250 Free Staters who already were living here before New Hampshire was selected as the state for political libertarians to try their grand experiment in creating a society of minimal government.

“People continue to move here in a steady if not increasing pace,” said Swearingen, who came from California in 2004.

“I consider myself local now,” he said.

Free Staters have been elected to local and state government in New Hampshire and have already made their presence felt in a number of ways, Swearingen said.

The project is not a political party and does not endorse any specific party. Instead, it promotes a libertarian philosophy that less is best when it comes to government.

“The ultimate goal is to have a society where the main role of government is the protection of the individual’s rights, liberty and property,” he said.

One of the project’s successes to date has been passing a spending cap in the city of Manchester, said Dave Ridley, who moved to Grafton from Texas in 2004. The cap passed by a tight vote, and it wouldn’t have been successful without the backing of Free Staters, Ridley said.

Besides electing people to office, one of the most visible and effective things that the project has accomplished is creating media outlets that promote freedom from government, Swearingen said.

They include Ridley’s radio program, the Ridley Report, as well as the N.H. Free Press, Free Talk Live and a public access cable television program in Concord.

According to the project’s Web site, Free Staters chose New Hampshire as a place to locate because of the state’s livability, the large size of its legislature, and “an existing culture of liberty” that exists here. Wyoming came in second in a vote among members, with Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Vermont and North and South Dakota also among the states considered.
The organization is dedicated to migrating 20,000 pro-liberty activists who agree to downsize government in New Hampshire, with no member obligated to move here until 20,000 people have signed on.

“The Free State Project has no political platform or membership dues,” project founder Jason Sorens said. “We have participants who identify as conservative, classical liberal, libertarian, anarchist, voluntaryist, you name it. The things we care about are: Do you want more liberty and less government? Are you willing to work toward it? Are you going to be a good, neighborly person in your community? If so, the Free State Project may be just what you’re looking for.”

The project, however, has drawn its share of critics. Some have charged that its intent is to create an environment where businesses can maximize profits without being weighed down by taxes or regulation. Others have said the project has promoted civil disobedience, with some members violating drug laws and refusing to obtain driver’s licenses, which they see as a form of government intruding on individual’s rights.

Patrick Meighan can be reached at 594-6518 or pmeighan@nashuatelegraph.com.

j6p
03-16-2010, 06:43 AM
Yeah, it's nice how NH has open primary and they can easily dilute the votes. Ron Paul only got 5% in the NH primary. Free state project should have picked Montana, Alaska or wyoming. This many people in those state would have a liberty governer.

Cinderella
03-16-2010, 07:41 AM
i just spent my anniversary up in N.conway....so beautiful....i want to live there so bad!

KCIndy
03-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Free State Project hits 10,000 pledged-to-move

.... and only 800 on the ground after 9 years. :(

Don't get me wrong. I really, really REALLY hope the FSP works. And mondo kudos to the 800 or so who are on the ground in New Hampshire right now.

But before we get too excited about the 10K number, we have to keep in mind that 9,200 of 'em are not there yet. I wonder how many names have been on the 10K list for five years or more.

Not knowing for sure *if* I would ever really be able to move there has been what's kept me from signing up.

specsaregood
03-16-2010, 11:16 AM

Yeah I was wondering how many statist, tax-loving MA people have moved to NH during the same time period.

gls
03-16-2010, 11:28 AM

Don't get me wrong. I really, really REALLY hope the FSP works. And mondo kudos to the 800 or so who are on the ground in New Hampshire right now.

But before we get too excited about the 10K number, we have to keep in mind that 9,200 of 'em are not there yet. I wonder how many names have been on the 10K list for five years or more.

Not knowing for sure *if* I would ever really be able to move there has been what's kept me from signing up.

The idea is that once 20,000 sign up everyone moves within 5 years. No one is obligated before that...the hundreds already in state chose to move ealier and begin establishing the groundwork. A lot of progress has already been made working within NH's uniquely accessible form of government.

I plan on moving myself once the company I work for in CT goes out of business (which at this rate won't be long).

gls
03-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Yeah I was wondering how many statist, tax-loving MA people have moved to NH during the same time period.

Why would you assume people who move from MA to NH are "statist, tax-loving"? It makes much more sense that the people escaping from MA are doing so to get away from government, and in the past I've seen polls that support that hypothesis.

KCIndy
03-16-2010, 11:39 AM
The idea is that once 20,000 sign up everyone moves within 5 years. No one is obligated before that...

I know...

I'm not trying to criticize, I'm just being realistic. Of those 10,000, how many have been on the list for five or more years? In that time, how many will have gotten: married / divorced / had kids / changed jobs / started caring for a sick parent / enrolled kids in a great school / or formed other commitments which would keep them from moving to NH if the 20K number is reached?

To be truly realistic, that 10K number on the board should be polled on a yearly basis to find out if they are STILL planning on moving. If the FSP were to send out a "re-commitment" form tomorrow and 9,955 people responded with a resounding "YES!" then I would be happy to eat my words.

I really LOVE what the FSP is trying to do, but to me, the critical number to watch is the number who are already there, boots on the ground, getting stuff done.

specsaregood
03-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Why would you assume people who move from MA to NH are "statist, tax-loving"? It makes much more sense that the people escaping from MA are doing so to get away from government, and in the past I've seen polls that support that hypothesis.

Just from experience and reports from other states where the tax loving yankees move in. :) I'm sure there are exceptions but overall it does seem that when the "blue staters" move to red states they like to bring their love for taxes and big govt with them.

tremendoustie
03-16-2010, 11:42 AM
I know...

I'm not trying to criticize, I'm just being realistic. Of those 10,000, how many have been on the list for five or more years? In that time, how many will have gotten: married / divorced / had kids / changed jobs / started caring for a sick parent / enrolled kids in a great school / or formed other commitments which would keep them from moving to NH if the 20K number is reached?

To be truly realistic, that 10K number on the board should be polled on a yearly basis to find out if they are STILL planning on moving. If the FSP were to send out a "re-commitment" form tomorrow and 9,955 people responded with a resounding "YES!" then I would be happy to eat my words.

I really LOVE what the FSP is trying to do, but to me, the critical number to watch is the number who are already there, boots on the ground, getting stuff done.

The numbers already there are having a profound impact though. There is far more liberty activism going on in NH, of all kinds, than in any other state.

KCIndy
03-16-2010, 11:57 AM
The numbers already there are having a profound impact though. There is far more liberty activism going on in NH, of all kinds, than in any other state.

Agreed!

Like I said:

And mondo kudos to the 800 or so who are on the ground in New Hampshire right now.

They're doing fine work from everything I understand. I'm impressed with everything the FSP has been doing in New Hampshire. I'm just wondering how may of the 10,000 are still *able* to move, even if they want to, simply due to how circumstances can change over the period of five years or more.

BuddyRey
03-16-2010, 12:03 PM
It's my understanding that a lot of FSP signers make the move without ever actually "confirming" that they've done so, so the 800 number is probably at least somewhat lower than the real figure.

Keith and stuff
03-16-2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the great video. I'm so glad I moved to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

I led the effort to keep seat belts optional for adults in NH and we won. Because of freestaters, NH is still the only state that doesn't force adults to wear seat belts. There is no way I would have been able to do something like that in TN for many reason (the state is too larger to easily drive, the people of TN wouldn't want that much freedom, there are no well organized statewide freedom groups to work with on such issues in TN...)

Live Free or Die.

Keith and stuff
03-16-2010, 02:06 PM
It's my understanding that a lot of FSP signers make the move without ever actually "confirming" that they've done so, so the 800 number is probably at least somewhat lower than the real figure.

That's correct but it is even stranger. Some folks move to NH because of the FSP and get involved in freedom activism in NH, even though they never even joined the FSP.

Keith and stuff
03-16-2010, 02:08 PM

Actually, a study showing just what you said has been posted on this forum at least once.

porcupine
03-18-2010, 11:14 AM

Yes, research done by the Wall Street Journal actually backs up that fact. MA movers tend to be small business owners or blue collar workers who are basically tax refugees. That's why Southern NH is so Republican, actually.

DadaOrwell
03-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Free State Wyoming and Christian Exodus are the only other migration movements I know of inside the U.S. and compared to our 800 in-state they each have 100 or less.

It takes about 2,000 in small states to get to a point where you are dominating compared to the mainstream republican or democrat activist base. 20,000 is the target but not needed.

JoshLowry
03-24-2010, 08:11 PM
If you got 800 hitting on all cylinders you could do some big stuff.

Organization and participation are key. Keep up the good work Dave!