PDA

View Full Version : I need RPFers with jobs in government/military! Please Help!!!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
03-14-2010, 12:30 PM
I have a project due in AP US Government tomorrow (Monday, March 15). It is an interview with a federal government employee that I need to present to the class. I had other options but I just figured out I need someone currently working for the US government not someone who's retired. The only people I know that are currently working for the US government are in Iraq. So now I have come to RPF for assistance...

If anyone on Ron Paul Forums is currently in the military or working for the government in some way it would help A LOT if you would please answer these 20 questions. The only personal information I'll need would be your name and job title, which if you are uncomfortable posting here, you can send to my inbox here at RPF. You can answer the questions below by either copy and pasting the questions with your responses and posting your answers here on the thread or you can send those to my inbox as well. Whatever is most comfortable for you.

Here are the questions:

What agency does the person work for? Is it a cabinet department, independent agency, part of the executive office of the President or government corporation.

How did the person get the job? What were the job requirements? Did they have to go through OPM or take a special exam?

What is the persons job title? Who does the person report to and what are they responsible for doing?

What is the most interesting and enjoyable aspect of the job and why?

Describe the day to types of tasks done on the job. What is the impact of the tasks they do/decisions they make on American citizens?

How does the person feel about working for the federal government? Do they like it? Why or why not?

Is the person a career civil servant or a political appointee (for military, is the person a civilian or military)? What is the working relationship like between the two types of employees and why?

Has the nature of the job changed with different presidential administrations? How?

What types of legislation affect the persons job? Can they give examples?

Does the person communicate with Congress or special interest groups? What examples can they give?

Was your workplace affected by the cutbacks made in the Clinton administration, known as “Reinventing government” (REGO)? How?

Has the agency become more efficient over the years? What are some examples?

Was your agency affected by the 1995 government shutdown? How?

Is it difficult to fire an employee at your agency? Why or why not?

Was your workplace affected after September 11th? How?

Are you bound by the Hatch Act? How does it affect you? Are you affected by the Whistleblower protection act? How?

Are you affected by the Freedom of Information Act at work? How?

Is there lots of red tape in your agency? What examples can you give?

What advice would you give to someone considering government work and why?

Please help!

MelissaWV
03-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Best of luck with this.

Other than active military who happen not to be overseas, you probably won't find a lot of people who actually work directly for the Government around for interviews. A lot of people contract, go through temp agencies, or work for companies that do Government work (but are not officially part of the Government).

Personally, I would write the paper on the people that I was GOING to interview, but could not get in touch with because they are overseas, but I'm a smartass like that :D

You might also want to correct some of the errors in the questions before you ask them or hand the form off to the person filling it out. I am assuming they were written by your teacher, in which case I'm sad.

Hat examples can you give?

Anti Federalist
03-14-2010, 12:42 PM
And why has this, fairly expansive and complex set of question, been sitting around until Sunday afternnon, when it's due Monday?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
03-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Best of luck with this.

Other than active military who happen not to be overseas, you probably won't find a lot of people who actually work directly for the Government around for interviews. A lot of people contract, go through temp agencies, or work for companies that do Government work (but are not officially part of the Government).

Personally, I would write the paper on the people that I was GOING to interview, but could not get in touch with because they are overseas, but I'm a smartass like that :D

You might also want to correct some of the errors in the questions before you ask them or hand the form off to the person filling it out. I am assuming they were written by your teacher, in which case I'm sad.

Thanks for your input, I really just have to present an interview to the class and there's really no essay or anything involved, and I would like to write a paper on the people I that I was going to interview, but this teacher would simply fail me. And yes, I just copy and pasted the teachers questions, she can't even spell Sovereignty on the board in class. It comes out something like "soverentree".....which is very sad indeed lol.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
03-14-2010, 01:12 PM
And why has this, fairly expansive and complex set of question, been sitting around until Sunday afternnon, when it's due Monday?

It would have only taken me less then an hour with someone I'm sure would love to have done it but I just found out out this weekend they can't be retired, and I would have posted my questions yesterday but I lost my internet connection all day (hughesnet, satellite) and I slept in late this morning. I know, I should have done it earlier but this is one of like 5 projects I have going on right now, and I've been working on a speech on abolishing the income tax and a video on my own Psychological Classical conditioning of goldfish experiment for the last week.. I have other much larger projects that aren't due yet as well that I'm working on.

Texan4Life
03-14-2010, 01:29 PM
That's pretty sad when can have a whole class project over interviewing a non retired government employee.

lynnf
03-14-2010, 01:42 PM
maybe if you don't have someone by early tomorrow you could find out where the Census workers are in your area and you could go over there to get it done -- they're all over right now.

lynn

tremendoustie
03-14-2010, 01:42 PM
I have a project due in AP US Government tomorrow (Monday, March 15). It is an interview with a federal government employee that I need to present to the class. I had other options but I just figured out I need someone currently working for the US government not someone who's retired. The only people I know that are currently working for the US government are in Iraq. So now I have come to RPF for assistance...

If anyone on Ron Paul Forums is currently in the military or working for the government in some way it would help A LOT if you would please answer these 20 questions. The only personal information I'll need would be your name and job title, which if you are uncomfortable posting here, you can send to my inbox here at RPF. You can answer the questions below by either copy and pasting the questions with your responses and posting your answers here on the thread or you can send those to my inbox as well. Whatever is most comfortable for you.

Believe it or not, I currently work at Nasa. I got the job before my beliefs evolved to where they are today. I'm planning to quit ASAP, hopefully in a few months, and move to NH.

Here are the questions:

What agency does the person work for? Is it a cabinet department, independent agency, part of the executive office of the President or government corporation.

NASA. I suppose it would be considered an "independent agency".

How did the person get the job? What were the job requirements? Did they have to go through OPM or take a special exam?

I sent a resume and an application in. A respected former employee recommended me. I did a couple internships before being hired full time. There was no special exam.

What is the persons job title? Who does the person report to and what are they responsible for doing?

Engineer. I do technical development of spacecraft, mostly optics.

Some of the technical problems are challenging and interesting. Frankly, though, the means of funding, and severe organizational inefficiencies undermine this. I often feel that my job is little more than welfare for smart people.

Describe the day to types of tasks done on the job. What is the impact of the tasks they do/decisions they make on American citizens?

Pretty pictures, and good science may be produced. Mostly money is wasted.

If money were obtained freely from educational institutions, scientific funds, and interested individuals, work would be far more targeted to what people really want and need. NASA would be far slimmer, and far more efficient.

Describe the day to types of tasks done on the job
How does the person feel about working for the federal government? Do they like it? Why or why not?

I design solutions to technical problems, develop code, etc, on a day-to-day basis. I do not like working for the government. I want to work in an industry where I am paid by people who voluntarily give me their money, because I am providing a service they need, or enjoy -- not an industry where the money is obtained by force.

The effects of this means of funding trickle down the whole management structure, so that instead of attempting to obtain better funding by doing a better job for the customer, better funding is obtained by lobbying a bureaucrat. Often management deliberately spends more money than necessary on projects. The goal is not to do the best, cheapest job possible, it's to keep the most possible people employed. In a private industry, these goals might coincide. Generally, they don't in government.

In general, everyone acts in their own self interest. People would be wise to consider what that self interest is, for government agencies.

Is the person a career civil servant or a political appointee (for military, is the person a civilian or military)? What is the working relationship like between the two types of employees and why?

Civil "servant" if you want to call it that. I do not work with any political appointees.

Has the nature of the job changed with different presidential administrations? How?

Not really, no.

The budget congress passes for NASA determines whether everyone keeps their jobs, and there is lots of funding to go around, or some are laid off.

Does the person communicate with Congress or special interest groups? What examples can they give?

No.

Was your workplace affected by the cutbacks made in the Clinton administration, known as “Reinventing government” (REGO)? How?

I didn't work there during the Clinton administration.

No, I would say efficiency is about the same. Not good, but from what I hear, better than a lot of other NASA centers or other agencies.

I wasn't there.

Very, very difficult. If funding is slim, however, they will lay people off.

Yes, security was increased.

Are you bound by the Hatch Act? How does it affect you? Are you affected by the Whistleblower protection act? How?

I'm unsure. I have not personally been affected by these laws.

No.

Huge amounts of red tape. The examples could fill a large volume.

If you want to do a solid day's work for fair pay, to work hard, and among peers who work hard, don't do it. If you want to be lazy, to live off of other people's labor, go for it. I've worked in private industry too -- I've seen both sides of the coin.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
03-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Believe it or not, I currently work at Nasa. I got the job before my beliefs evolved to where they are today. I'm planning to quit ASAP, hopefully in a few months, and move to NH.

NASA. I suppose it would be considered an "independent agency".

I sent a resume and an application in. A respected former employee recommended me. I did a couple internships before being hired full time. There was no special exam.

Engineer. I do technical development of spacecraft, mostly optics.

Some of the technical problems are challenging and interesting. Frankly, though, the means of funding, and severe organizational inefficiencies undermine this. I often feel that my job is little more than welfare for smart people.

Pretty pictures, and good science may be produced. Mostly money is wasted.

If money were obtained freely from educational institutions, scientific funds, and interested individuals, work would be far more targeted to what people really want and need. NASA would be far slimmer, and far more efficient.

I design solutions to technical problems, develop code, etc, on a day-to-day basis. I do not like working for the government. I want to work in an industry where I am paid by people who voluntarily give me their money, because I am providing a service they need, or enjoy -- not an industry where the money is obtained by force.

The effects of this means of funding trickle down the whole management structure, so that instead of attempting to obtain better funding by doing a better job for the customer, better funding is obtained by lobbying a bureaucrat. Often management deliberately spends more money than necessary on projects. The goal is not to do the best, cheapest job possible, it's to keep the most possible people employed. In a private industry, these goals might coincide. Generally, they don't in government.

In general, everyone acts in their own self interest. People would be wise to consider what that self interest is, for government agencies.

Civil "servant" if you want to call it that. I do not work with any political appointees.

Not really, no.

The budget congress passes for NASA determines whether everyone keeps their jobs, and there is lots of funding to go around, or some are laid off.

No.

I didn't work there during the Clinton administration.

No, I would say efficiency is about the same. Not good, but from what I hear, better than a lot of other NASA centers or other agencies.

I wasn't there.

Very, very difficult. If funding is slim, however, they will lay people off.

Yes, security was increased.

I'm unsure. I have not personally been affected by these laws.

No.

Huge amounts of red tape. The examples could fill a large volume.

If you want to do a solid day's work for fair pay, to work hard, and among peers who work hard, don't do it. If you want to be lazy, to live off of other people's labor, go for it. I've worked in private industry too -- I've seen both sides of the coin.

Wow! Thanks for your perfect responses tremendoustie! Now I would only need your name to present your interview to the class. You can send that as a personal message to my inbox if you'd like. Also it would be nice If I could know where your jobs located, although It's not mentioned as necessary, it would be nice to know in case someone asks. Just remember that your name is necessary for my presentation.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
03-14-2010, 02:07 PM
maybe if you don't have someone by early tomorrow you could find out where the Census workers are in your area and you could go over there to get it done -- they're all over right now.

lynn

yeah lol that might work. I was also thinking of just calling random government offices and asking the first person that answers for an interview.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
03-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that I have all the information I need for my presentation tomorrow, Thanks everyone for your help, it is much appreciated!

RON PAUL 2012!

bkreigh
03-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Just found the site. Wish i would have found it earlier.

Good luck man.

Anti Federalist
03-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that I have all the information I need for my presentation tomorrow, Thanks everyone for your help, it is much appreciated!

RON PAUL 2012!

Glad to see you got that done.

Well done to TT as well.

I was engaged in some friendly ball busting before about being late.;)

nate895
03-14-2010, 04:43 PM
I was engaged in some friendly ball busting before about being late.;)

We procrastinators (speaking as someone who should be working on a 2-3 page essay due tomorrow, but probably won't start for another 1 1/2-2 Hrs. at least) need to have our balls busted sometimes.

TRIGRHAPPY
03-14-2010, 08:12 PM

Here are the questions:

Department of Defense: U.S. Air Force Active Duty

Take the ASVAB and receive at least the required scores for the specialty I was in. I scored high enough to qualify for any enlisted careerfield in the Air Force. We took some pretty in-depth physicals which I also passed. I've also had to pass numerous periodical background checks.

Quality Assurance Munitions Evaluator. I inspect munitions maintenance activities across the squadrons in our group. I work for the group commander. I report any discrepancies in maintenance or training I find withing the group.

I get to crawl into the nether regions of some pretty expensive toys (aircraft). I get to do stuff outside of my normal career, such as inspecting jet engines and "smart" munitions.

Observe maintenance tasks across the group. Folks working on F15s, F22s, or just working in shops. Some guys tear missiles apart and work on them as well. I inspect all that stuff to make sure everyone is doing their job safely and professionally.

Not a bad gig. Stable employment. I get to serve my country.

We get along with civilians pretty well, but they seem somewhat spoiled. They don't have to obey the regulations we do, and they get paid about 2x what we make for doing the exact same job. They also don't have the risk of deploying. They basically get twice the benefits with none of the drawbacks. However, they aren't in uniform, which gives me a sense of pride in and of itself. If it were all about the money, I'd get out and become a contractor.

Not much, but now they're talking about gays serving openly which is something I'm not sure is going to work out so well. Overall the job has stayed the same so far between Bush and Obama.....but only because Obama doesn't have enough defense credibility to feel comfortable making important changes to the military or commanding troops.

Every defense appropriations bill effects our pay and benefits. Health care is going to make our current health care even worse (it's nothing special now, just ask the Airman who recently lost both legs during a routine surgery and cannot so much as sue).

I write my congressmen the same as any other citizen can. I do it often. I was a member of the NRA for a while, but I stopped when they helped pass the veterans disarmament act. I'm also a member of C4L.

My workplace was, but I wasn't in at the time. There was a huge drawdown and a lot of people got kicked out and a few bases got shut down.

No, it's just the opposite. I spend more time doing stupid "additional duties" than I do my actual job. Not to mention, they make us do so much stupid crap that has absolutely nothing to do with war fighting that it is sickening. Now, everything is going digital, so if the computer network is down, our jobs almost come to a complete stop. It's ridiculous how dependent the Air Force is on computers. Lord help us if we fight anyone with the slightest capability to take out our network.

Supposedly they didn't get their paychecks for a couple days. I wasn't there so I honestly don't know.

Not particularly. As long as there is a significant paperwork trail of an individual's poor history, it is a pretty straightforward process. It's tougher than a civilian firing, but not unheard of.

Are you kidding me? Yes. Ummm.....Iraq, Afghanistan, that sort of stuff.

I don't blow whistles in my job. ;)

Yes. We have an entire system of records management that require us to differentiate between what falls under FOIA and what does not.......with many many requirements as to how we treat information that does.

There's quite a bit, but not any I really deal with.

It's stable employment, but that's about the only benefit unless you're highly patriotic.

Please help!

Answers within the quotes.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
03-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Answers within the quotes.

Thanks!