PDA

View Full Version : Value of Liberty

TheEvilDetector
03-14-2010, 12:06 AM
Suppose you were elected as a representative or senator in a state or federal setting.

Suppose you were approached by lobbyists for special interests and asked:

What amount of money would it take to make you work for the special interests rather than work to advance principles of liberty?

For clarification purposes: The special interests in this hypothetical situation have no interest in advancing principles of liberty and working for these special interests will leave no time to advancing principles of liberty.

What amount would you accept?

Lets be honest and see whether liberty has a $ value or is priceless.

If $ had no power we wouldn't be in this mess we are today, so this is a very valid question.

The poll is anonymous.

Reason
03-14-2010, 12:08 AM
Are my children starving?

Is my wife dying of cancer with millions in health care debt?

Is an asteroid about to impact the planet killing everyone?

TheEvilDetector
03-14-2010, 12:10 AM
Are my children starving?

Is my wife dying of cancer with millions in health care debt?

Is an asteroid about to impact the planet killing everyone?

In this hypothetical situation, you and those who you care about are not starving or suffering terminal illnesses.

Nor are there any apparent cataclysmic events such as what you describe.

tremendoustie
03-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Suppose you were elected as a representative or senator in a state or federal setting.

Suppose you were approached by a special interest and asked what amount of money would it take to become a special interest whore rather than a liberty advocate.

What amount would you accept?

Lets be honest and see whether liberty has a $ value or is priceless.

I hope most say priceless but you never know.

If $ had no power we wouldn't be in this mess we are today, so this is a very valid question.

The poll is anonymous.

1M isn't nearly enough -- but if I were offered a very, very large sum of money, so much that I was certain I could use it to accomplish far more for liberty than my measly vote ever could, I might be tempted. Speaking and acting contrary to principles would make me feel really slimy and dishonest, so I probably wouldn't, but I'm sure I'd have to think about it.

TheEvilDetector
03-14-2010, 12:25 AM
I slightly rephrased the original post to sound less antagonistic and more neutral as poll wording should be.

Fox McCloud
03-14-2010, 12:26 AM
It depends on the special interest group and to what extent....in some case being a special interest "whore" for certain groups wouldn't be, at all, incompatible with liberty.

in general, I wouldn't have a price, but tremendoustie raises a good point.

TheEvilDetector
03-14-2010, 12:27 AM
It depends on the special interest group and to what extent....in some case being a special interest "whore" for certain groups wouldn't be, at all, incompatible with liberty.

in general, I wouldn't have a price, but tremendoustie raises a good point.

I will amend the poll to make it clear that the special interests I am talking about do not share liberty principles defining Ron Paul movement.

TastyWheat
03-14-2010, 01:22 AM
If I had their six-figure salary I wouldn't dream of accepting a bribe. I find it utterly amazing that Senators and Representatives take so many favors and gifts from lobbyists since more than a few are millionaires.

slothman
03-14-2010, 03:02 AM
Would I be able to donate this to charity?
Or would it only be used for a bigger house and more rubies?

Mike4Freedom
03-14-2010, 05:42 AM
If I were in that position, I would tell them to shove that money up thier ass. Give me economic prosperity instead and watch the quality of life for everyone in the US improve.