PDA

View Full Version : Corporation runs for Congress

disorderlyvision
03-13-2010, 03:17 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/12/AR2010031204127.html?hpid=topnews

After the Supreme Court declared that corporations have the same rights as individuals when it comes to funding political campaigns, a self-described progressive firm Murray Hill, Inc. took what it considers the next logical step: declaring for office

squarepusher
03-13-2010, 03:21 AM
wow

RedStripe
03-13-2010, 03:32 AM
haha that's awesome

if we are gonna have a government run by corporations we might as well make it official lmao

messana
03-13-2010, 04:51 AM
I'm skeptical, but I'd support them just to prove a point.

lynnf
03-13-2010, 05:50 AM
bet the corporation would have a hard time presenting a legitimate birth certificate - but then the corrupt court system would probably rule that a corporate charter would suffice for that

lynn

DapperDan
03-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Hi Fascism, nice to meet you.

John Taylor
03-13-2010, 12:13 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/12/AR2010031204127.html?hpid=topnews

Are you guys freaking nuts from the Daily Kos?????

WTF.

Corporations are nothing but voluntary associations assembled for mutual purpose. Government has no business preventing the voluntary association of any consenting peaceful individuals, and it has no right to use government force to deny any individual of freedom of speech. Just as it has no right to deny an individual the right of freedom of speech, it cannot deny a voluntarily assembled group of people their freedom of speech either. The whole "legal fiction" you guys have your panties in a bunch over is strictly for LIABILITY purposes... the corporation is designed to limit the liability of the shareholders to the stake they have invested... that's all, and the courts recognize this. It's straightforward, and good.

lynnf
03-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Are you guys freaking nuts from the Daily Kos?????

WTF.

Corporations are nothing but voluntary associations assembled for mutual purpose. Government has no business preventing the voluntary association of any consenting peaceful individuals, and it has no right to use government force to deny any individual of freedom of speech. Just as it has no right to deny an individual the right of freedom of speech, it cannot deny a voluntarily assembled group of people their freedom of speech either. The whole "legal fiction" you guys have your panties in a bunch over is strictly for LIABILITY purposes... the corporation is designed to limit the liability of the shareholders to the stake they have invested... that's all, and the courts recognize this. It's straightforward, and good.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a7/Frankenstein%27s_monster_%28Boris_Karloff%29.jpg/275px-Frankenstein%27s_monster_%28Boris_Karloff%29.jpg

1931 Frankenstein

no, we aren't. and liability was what it originally was about but it has morphed into something else now. corporations, an artificial entity, are now counted not only as equal to people, but in effect they are superior to people. how can someone not see something wrong with that? it's like a Frankenstein monster - an artificial entity roaming the countryside, destroying everything in its way. well, it's time for the villagers to rise up with pitchforks and torches and destroy the monster before it eats all our children. and if you don't see that, then I say you will probably deserve what will happen to you if we don't succeed with the destruction.

lynn

Epic
03-13-2010, 03:22 PM
the company doing this is really dumb - they are doing it to make a point about the new Supreme Court ruling, but all the ruling did was uphold the right to free speech in the Constitution.

Even before the advent of the corporate form for liability protection for shareholders, people could transact with others and use the generated money to speak on political issues. So the ruling doesn't give any rights to corporations that they wouldn't have had in the absence of the corporate form.

By a similar token, the 2nd amendment also applies to corporations - the government cannot restrict guns of an individual who is working for a corporation.

Aratus
11-26-2011, 10:07 PM
wow

yes...

i agree

"wow"

DamianTV
11-27-2011, 02:40 AM
yes...

i agree

"wow"

Yeah, and not the good kind of "wow", but like "wow, a nuclear bomb just went off type of wow".

Aratus
11-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Herman Cain Inc. is how CEO Herman Cain is running for public office.
Today i hear the Union Leader up in N.H went onto Newt's bandwagon.

paulpwns
11-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Even RP says corporations are not people.