PDA

View Full Version : Chinese made fluoride damages Mass. town's water supply machinery

Anti Federalist
03-12-2010, 07:12 PM
WTF, I mean, really, WTF...we have to import our poison from China???!!!

Chinese Fluoride In Mass. Water Raises Concern

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/investigative/22814488/detail.html

Team 5 Investigates After Amesbury Pulls Sodium Fluoride From Water Supply

AMESBURY, Mass. --

Fluoride is added to the water most of us drink because the government believes it's a safe and inexpensive way to prevent tooth decay.
(Awesome opening line - AF)

However, Team 5 Investigates found the Amesbury Water Department pulled fluoride from its system amid concerns about its supply from China.

Department of Public Works Director Rob Desmarais said after he mixes the white powder with water, 40 percent of it will not dissolve.

"I don't know what it is," Desmarais said. "It's not soluble, and it doesn't appear to be sodium fluoride. So we are not quite sure what it is."

Desmarais said the residue clogs his machines and makes it difficult to get a consistent level of fluoride in the town's water.

Since April the fluoride pumps in Amesbury have been turned off and they will stay that way until Desmarais can find out what's in the fluoride that's imported from China.

Both state and federal health officials told Team 5 Investigates that Chinese fluoride is safe.

The Department of Public Health said it believes that more than 650,000 customers in 44 Massachusetts communities are getting the flouride in question and only Amesbury has temporarily stopped using it.

However, they were unable to say with certainty which of the other 43 communities are actually using the sodium fluoride from China in its water.

The fluoride from China is not used in communities getting water from the MWRA.

The New York company that supplies the fluoride said it is certified by the National Sanitation Foundation which assures the quality of the product.

Approximately 1,000 water systems in the United States use the additive to adjust the fluoride in their water supply, according to The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Testing continues to determine the precise composition of the residue.

"They should test it to make sure...it is safe for us to drink," said Paul Stewart who lives in Newburyport. He said he has a right to know exactly what's in his water.

"On the same day that I read the story about fluoride coming from China, I also read about stories about melamine that was being contaminated in milk products coming from China," Stewart said. "And then we had another story about more lead in kids toys from China."

Since 2007, most of the sodium fluoride has been imported from China because it's the least expensive on the market.

"I don't think that when it comes to something that I ingest every day that the lowest bidder is good enough," Stewart said.

KCIndy
03-12-2010, 07:17 PM
GAAHHH!!!

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/TheKen08/Misc%20Pics/BangingHeadAgainstKeyboardStreetSig.gif

There just aren't the words to express it....

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/TheKen08/Misc%20Pics/BangingHeadAgainstKeyboardStreetSig.gif

:mad::mad::mad:

dannno
03-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Wow.. and they're using sodium fluoride!!

Literally rat poison. No seriously. Go get a bottle of rat poison, the main ingredient is likely sodium fluoride.

dannno
03-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Both state and federal health officials told Team 5 Investigates that Chinese fluoride is safe.

Anti Federalist
03-12-2010, 07:28 PM

Literally rat poison. No seriously. Go get a bottle of rat poison, the main ingredient is sodium fluoride.

I'm getting another article ready for posting that states the DPW foreman had been unable to get accurate readings of the amount of flouride that was pumped into the system.

More than 4 mg/l in water renders it UNFIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION according to EPA.

Fluoride. Many communities add fluoride to their drinking water to promote dental health. Each community makes its own decision about whether or not to add fluoride. EPA has set an enforceable drinking water standard for fluoride of 4 mg/L (some people who drink water containing fluoride in excess of this level over many years could get bone disease, including pain and tenderness of the bones). EPA has also set a secondary fluoride standard of 2 mg/L to protect against dental fluorosis. Dental fluorosis, in its moderate or severe forms, may result in a brown staining and/or pitting of the permanent teeth. This problem occurs only in developing teeth, before they erupt from the gums. Children under nine should not drink water that has more than 2 mg/L of fluoride.

pcosmar
03-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Rat Race
Rat Poison
B. F. Skinner
MSM opinion

Seeing a pattern here.
Glad I have well water.;)

VegasPatriot
03-12-2010, 07:29 PM
I had to buy a fluoride filter for my mom because she has kidney disease. In Vegas we didn't start until 2001. I spoke with an administrator with our water district and he gave me the impression our poison came in liquid form. He also said the price has skyrocketed and tripled in cost in just a few years. Sure, cost is low when placed on the ballot then once the fix is in...

dannno
03-12-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm really lucky to live somewhere that doesn't have fluoride in the municipal water.. they've tried to push it on us, and I'm in a really liberal area, but to no avail.. it's actually one of the reasons on a long list of why I live here.

Anti Federalist
03-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Town halts use in water supply, seeks solutions

Amesbury DPW no longer adding element to water supply

http://www.newburyportnews.com/punews/local_story_018220930.html

By Lynne Hendricks
Staff Writer

AMESBURY — Citing problems with the quality of sodium fluoride flooding the American market, Department of Public Works director Rob Desmarais said Amesbury has no current plans to resume its practice of adding fluoride to the town's water supply.

Though the health benefits to children in adding it to the water supply are well documented, the town discontinued fluoridating its water in April.

Desmarais said he is concerned that the material Amesbury had been getting in recent years did not dissolve as raw sodium fluoride should, leaving questions about the possibility it's being mixed with something else.

"This is the second time we've had to stop because we can't get a reliable supply," said Desmarais last week. "We've been buying the stuff from our supplier, which is the low bidder, and they've been providing us with product that comes from China, which doesn't meet our standards."

Desmarais said while soluble sodium fluoride has traditionally proved easy to dissolve and add to the water supply, in recent years he's found that 40 percent of the product they've been buying will not dissolve, and he doesn't know why. Desmarais has sent the material out for testing on two separate occasions, but had no luck in determining what it contained. He has sent it back to the supplier and had a better quality product delivered following the complaint. But the next delivery presents with the same problem, he said.

In 2007, it was discovered by U.S. health officials that numerous brands of toothpaste purchased from China and being sold in the United states contained a dangerous poison used in antifreeze, prompting a nationwide recall of the Chinese-made products. The toxic material diethylene was found in concentrations as high as 3 to 4 percent under a number of different brand names.

Months later, the FDA banned the sale of baby formula manufactured in China after it was discovered to be tainted with a dangerous toxic chemical, melamine.

Though Desmarais said he's not suggesting the material in the sodium fluoride is similarly dangerous, those two incidents weigh heavily on his mind when he ponders what the material could be.

"We don't know what the stuff is," said Desmarais of the residual material that ends up in the water treatment plant's saturator. "The saturator gets plugged very frequently, and then it will stop adding it."

This creates a problem in assessing how much fluoride is being dispensed at any given time, Desmarais said. While fluoride has proved beneficial to children's dental health, some studies show too much can have detrimental effects.

"We've spent years trying to fix it," Desmarais said. "It makes us hesitant to provide fluoride to the residents because we don't know what the dosage is. We need to be consistent in the dosage and we have this residual, but we don't know what it is."

According to KidsHealth.org, fluoride exists naturally in water sources and is derived from fluorine, the 13th most common element on Earth. It's a substance well known for preventing and reversing the early stages of tooth decay.

The American Dental Association touts the benefits of adding fluoride to municipal water supplies and cites the practice as first being implemented in 1943. It's a measure the ADA credits with being the most effective public health measure for the prevention of dental cavities.

Desmarais doesn't dispute the benefits of adding fluoride to the town's water supply, and he said his department has looked into adding it into the system by some other means — specifically through the addition of a highly concentrated hydro-fluorocytic acid. But the material is highly corrosive and requires a special system to deliver it to the supply. That delivery system is not slated to be part of the town's new water treatment system, as it requires the building of a separate ventilation and containment room.

"It's not part of the proposed project now," Desmarais said. "It's possible. At this point we would have to go for a budget item or separate appropriation to purchase the equipment to add it."

While Amesbury Board of Health Chairwoman Amy Courtney agreed that Desmarais' concerns over the fluoride quality are troubling, she believes if the town isn't going to offer fluoride through the municipal system, it should offer it elsewhere for the benefits cited by the ADA.

"If there is any question that there's a high risk of toxicity, then you definitely don't want to add it to your water supply," Courtney said. "Fluoride can be very toxic."

But that benefit might be offered through other means, she said, to provide the benefits to people who don't have dental insurance.

"You only get one set of teeth, and if you don't take care of them, then you run into a lot of problems later on in your life," Courtney said.

The daughter of a dentist, Courtney said she grew up in a community that used well water and therefore didn't have the ability to fluoridate the supply. She suggests a possible consideration might be to do what her own father did, which is offer a fluoride rinse to schoolchildren one day a year. That would require the buy-in of the schools and perhaps the support of a volunteer dentist in town to oversee the program.

Courtney said doing nothing is not a good idea.

"I have a concern," she said of the discontinued fluoridation. "And I know there are some hygienists in town who have the same concern that they're no longer providing fluoride in the water."

Anti Federalist
03-12-2010, 07:40 PM
This reporter meant this chemical, I'm pretty sure:

Fluoroacetic Acid

when she wrote this:

specifically through the addition of a highly concentrated hydro-fluorocytic acid

VegasPatriot
03-12-2010, 07:41 PM
YouTube - Team 5 Investigates Fluoride Fears (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZRWvcvPo3o)

Anti Federalist
03-12-2010, 07:48 PM
GAAHHH!!!

There just aren't the words to express it....

:mad::mad::mad:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j207/drhart2006/fffffuuuuuuu.jpg

tmosley
03-12-2010, 07:51 PM
The poison is in the dose, guys :rolleyes:

Vitamin C is deadly if you take too much, as are ALL vitamins.

It is pretty stupid that they are buying the cheapest NaF out there. The stuff is available in kilogram quantities for a couple hundred bucks off of Sigma. Reagent grade, greater than 99% purity. Medical grade is probably available for much less.

VegasPatriot
03-12-2010, 08:07 PM

It is pretty stupid that they are buying the cheapest NaF out there. The stuff is available in kilogram quantities for a couple hundred bucks off of Sigma. Reagent grade, greater than 99% purity. Medical grade is probably available for much less.
Of course its in the dose. But IF there are any benefits from fluoride... they are from topical treatment, not systemic treatment. So drinking fluoride to protect your teeth... is like drinking your sunscreen to protect your skin... or eating your hat to protect your head from the sun.

Anti Federalist
03-12-2010, 08:10 PM

The Chinese shit they were buying clogged the injectors that measured the dosage.

From what I read, there is no honest way to know what the dosage was, once it started fucking up the metering system.

Never minding the fact that drinking water should never be "dosed" with anything.

Naturally occuring minerals, yeah, they are there and to remove it all to PPB measure would be ludicrous.

Cheap shit Chinese crap should not be added in after the fact.

If you think flouride prevents tooth decay, then brush and mouthrinse with it.

Your choice.

Brian4Liberty
03-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Desmarais has sent the material out for testing on two separate occasions, but had no luck in determining what it contained.

So he continued using the same supplier and putting it into drinking water? Great idea. So incompetence is not a firing offense in government? :rolleyes:

And what kind of testing lab says "gee, no idea what this stuff is. That will be $10,000.00." (Just a wild guess at testing cost.)

Anti Federalist
03-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Both state and federal health officials told Team 5 Investigates that Chinese fluoride is safe. Thanks :rolleyes:

I missed that, thanks.

Nobody seems to be able to identify this sludge that is not water soluble, but state and federal "officials" can claim it's safe, when nobody even knows what the fuck it IS???!!

"The air at the WTC site, ground zero, is safe to breathe".

What was that figure that NYC is settling for, to settle the lawsuits brought by all the first responders that are, literally, dying from lung diseases, 575 million?

MN Patriot
03-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Funny how Taxachusetts gets the rotten fluoride. Commies trying to medicate everyone gets the tainted poison.

I always thought the fluoride was absorbed into your system through the digestive tract, but learned a few years ago that it is actually an ionic transfer of some sort directly on the teeth.

Speaking of teeth, I don't understand why the mercury used for fillings isn't considered harmful when they are in our mouths, but when the dentist lets them go down the drain and into the water supply it is considered a pollutant. :confused:

specsaregood
03-12-2010, 11:07 PM
And what kind of testing lab says "gee, no idea what this stuff is. That will be $10,000.00." (Just a wild guess at testing cost.)

Maybe they just don't want to admit they know. ie: would you want to admit you just poisoned your whole town even more than usual?

RideTheDirt
03-13-2010, 12:34 AM
Of course its in the dose. But IF there are any benefits from fluoride... they are from topical treatment, not systemic treatment. So drinking fluoride to protect your teeth... is like drinking your sunscreen to protect your skin... or eating your hat to protect your head from the sun.
roflmao

Anti Federalist
03-13-2010, 12:41 AM
http://www.piratenews.org/sodium-fluoride-insecticide.jpg

Anti Federalist
03-13-2010, 12:42 AM
http://www.health.state.ri.us/disease/primarycare/oralhealth/prevention-fluoridation-cdc_clip_image001.jpg

tmosley
03-13-2010, 12:53 AM

This is wrong. When you drink fluoride, it is secreted again in your saliva. This is very well characterized.

I am a proponent of fluoridized salt, which is available in Europe (where they don't add fluoride to the water for the most part). It's just that it is ludicrous to claim that fluoride isn't safe, and to rant and rave about how its rat poison, when the dosages are different by a factor of 100,000. It makes you look like a bunch of lunatics.

If you want to get rid of fluoride in drinking water, don't go down the path of fearmongering. Rather, approach it from a position of government incompetence (this is an instance of that), and consumer choice. Write to Morton Salt asking them to introduce fluoridized salt in America. It would cost them almost nothing to do. This is how we get our iodine as well. In this way, anyone could get all the fluoride they want without having to spend a bloody fortune on special mouthwashes and toothpastes. 70 cents for a year's worth, rather than 10.00 for a few months worth (mouthwash and toothpaste). While you're at it, lobby for the abolition of the ADA.

VegasPatriot
03-13-2010, 01:19 AM
Fluoride & Tooth Decay: Topical Vs. Systemic Effects (http://www.fluoridealert.org/health/teeth/caries/topical-systemic.html)

The Fluoride Deception (Interview With Christopher Bryson) (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7319752042352089988&ei=jzubS_eWAZeyrAP_58mNDA&q=fluoride+deception&hl=en&client=firefox-a#)

dwdollar
03-13-2010, 02:19 AM
Boys at the Water Treatment Plant:

Duh whuts dat Durrell... i donna Pete, just shove on down the drain an lets get outta here...

http://mrcanacorn.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/picard-facepalm.jpg

LibForestPaul
03-13-2010, 10:28 AM

And if one chooses to believe the hype, one can add this at home or purchase bottled fluoridated water.

Cowlesy
03-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Arguments about fluoride aside, the troubling aspect to me is that the water-treatment worker just keeps putting the stuff in the water supply.

It's the f*cking water supply.

puppetmaster
03-13-2010, 12:19 PM
I have a well....lucky me. Fluoride has been studied intensely and I side with: STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM IT. Side effects greatly outweigh the benefits (if any) IMHO

Reason
03-13-2010, 12:32 PM
The ice cold bottle of completely clean distilled water next to my desk right now says "lol".

specsaregood
03-13-2010, 02:30 PM
http://www.health.state.ri.us/disease/primarycare/oralhealth/prevention-fluoridation-cdc_clip_image001.jpg

I find it absolutely amazing and unbelievable that NJ is at the forefront of NOT fluoridating the water. I knew my town's supply wasn't poisoned but had no idea NJ in general wasn't. I guess the mob knows whats up.

Anti Federalist
03-13-2010, 03:31 PM
I find it absolutely amazing and unbelievable that NJ is at the forefront of NOT fluoridating the water. I knew my town's supply wasn't poisoned but had no idea NJ in general wasn't. I guess the mob knows whats up.

NJ born and raised until I left home at 16.

Lived all over for while.

Now call NH home, for the last ten years.

Nice to see NJ and NH the lowest on the east coast.

Anti Federalist
03-14-2010, 03:13 PM
////

Liberty Star
03-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Dry walls, lead based toys, flouride.. what is next on this road to buy cheap.

Anti Federalist
03-15-2010, 08:35 AM
///

Anti Federalist
03-16-2010, 03:39 PM
last time bump

amy31416
03-16-2010, 07:47 PM
last time bump

Don't believe you, bump. :p

jack555
03-16-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm currently in pharmacy school (doctor of pharmacy) and we learned about toxic agents last week. They did not mention flouride but taught us that thimerosal is safe but that controversy surrounds it.

I just emailed my professor about fluoride. He said that he had no opinion but gave me 2 links (somewhat related)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20156234?dopt=AbstractPlus

http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab002782.html

I'm afraid they keep us busy enough that I don't really have time to delve deep into the science of it but I hope to once I graduate in a few years.

VegasPatriot
03-16-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm currently in pharmacy school (doctor of pharmacy) and we learned about toxic agents last week. They did not mention flouride but taught us that thimerosal is safe but that controversy surrounds it.

I just emailed my professor about fluoride. He said that he had no opinion but gave me 2 links (somewhat related)

[/URL]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20156234?dopt=AbstractPlus (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20156234?dopt=AbstractPlus)

[url]http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab002782.html (http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab002782.html)

I'm afraid they keep us busy enough that I don't really have time to delve deep into the science of it but I hope to once I graduate in a few years.
No opinion? Interesting. What rational is there for one dose fits all? Maybe you could send a link to the following video.
Professional Perspectives on Water Fluoridation (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7547385139152764985&hl=en#)

Here is a link to a good source of information. http://www.fluoridealert.org/ (http://www.fluoridealert.org/)

Anti Federalist
03-17-2010, 09:11 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20156234?dopt=AbstractPlus

http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab002782.html

Thanks for that info...looking into it now.

Anti Federalist
03-21-2010, 03:59 PM
///

phill4paul
03-21-2010, 04:02 PM
Damn. I didn't catch this thread. I have honestly not tasted "public" water in about 12 years. No wonder people keep telling me I look younger than my age.:D

Anti Federalist
04-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Bump for the Chinese drywall thread.

Anti Federalist
07-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Don't believe you, bump. :p

You were right bump

PatriotOne
07-31-2010, 09:02 PM
China doesn't even flouridate their own people but surely happy to supply the poison to us.

PatriotOne
07-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Fluoride & the Brain

http://www.fluoridealert.org/health/brain/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DIRECTORY: FAN > Health > Brain
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Key Findings - Fluoride & the Brain: (Click for more detail)

1) Fluoride's ability to damage the brain represents one of the most active areas of research on fluoride toxicity today.

2) The research on fluoride and the brain has been fueled by 18 human studies from China, India, Iran, and Mexico finding elevated levels of fluoride exposure to be associated with IQ deficits in children. Fluoride's impact on IQ is exacerbated among children with low-iodine exposure.

3) The impact of fluoride on children's IQ has been documented even after controlling for children's lead exposure, iodine exposure, parental education and income status, and other known factors that might impact the results (Rocha-Amador 2007; Xiang 2003 a,b).

4) In addition to IQ studies, 3 studies (Yu 1996; Du 1992; Han 1989) have found that fluoride accumulates in the brain of the fetus, causing damage to cells and neurotransmitters and 1 study (Li 2004) has found a correlation between exposure to fluoride during fetal development and behavioral deficits among neonates.

5) Several recent studies have found that even adult exposures to fluoride may result in central nervous system disturbances, particularly among industrial workers.

5) The findings of neurological effects in fluoride-exposed humans is consistent with, and strengthened by, recent findings from over 40 animal studies published since 1992. As with the studies on humans, the studies on animals have reported an impairment in learning and memory prorcesses among the fluoride-treated groups.

6) The animal studies have also documented considerable evidence of direct toxic effects of fluoride on brain tissue, even at levels as low as 1 ppm fluoride in water (Varner 1998). These effects include:

-- reduction in nicotinic acetylcholine receptors;
-- reduction in lipid content;
-- impaired anti-oxidant defense systems;
-- damage to the hippocampus;
-- damage to the purkinje cells;
-- increased uptake of aluminum;
-- formation of beta-amyloid plaques (the classic brain abnormality in Alzheimer's disease);
-- exacerbation of lesions induced by iodine deficiency; and
-- accumulation of fluoride in the pineal gland.

Articles of Interest - Fluoride & the Brain: (back to top)

New Evidence on Fluoride & the Developing Brain - FAN, January 17, 2008
Excerpts from NRC Report - FAN, March 28, 2006
Yet more research on fluoride and the brain - FAN Science Watch June 25, 2004
Fluoride's effects on the brain - Ellen Connett, Director, Fluoride Action Network Pesticide Project, April 19, 2004
Fluoride Linked to Low IQ, Studies Show - Fluoride Action Network August 25, 2003
In Harm's Way: Toxic Threats to Child Development Greater Boston Physicians for Social Responsibility May 2000
On the Neurotoxicity of Fluoride Phyllis Mullenix, Ph.D., September 14, 1998
Fluoride & The Brain: An Interview with Dr. Phyllis Mullenix Interview by Paul Connett, PhD, October 18, 1997
Fluoride & the Pineal Gland IFIN Bulletin, March 2001
Rat Studies Link Brain Cell Damage With Aluminum and Fluoride in Water Wall Street Journal October 28, 1992
Available Full-Text Papers Online - Fluoride & the Brain: (back to top)

FULL-TEXT (pdf): Xiang Q, et al. (2003). Effect of fluoride in drinking water on children's intelligence. Fluoride 36: 84-94.

FULL-TEXT (pdf): Lu Y, et al (2000). Effect of high-fluoride water on intelligence of children. Fluoride 33:74-78.

FULL-TEXT (pdf): Varner JA, et al. (1998). Chronic administration of aluminum-fluoride and sodium-fluoride to rats in drinking water: alterations in neuronal and cerebrovascular integrity. Brain Research 784: 284-298.

FULL-TEXT (pdf): Mullenix P, et al. (1995).Neurotoxicity of sodium fluoride in rats. Neurotoxicology and Teratology 17:169-177.

FULL-TEXT (html): Lin Fa-Fu; et al (1991). The relationship of a low-iodine and high-fluoride environment to subclinical cretinism in Xinjiang. Iodine Deficiency Disorder Newsletter Vol. 7. No. 3. (August).

NOTABLE QUOTES- Fluoride's Impact on the Brain: (back to top)

"it is apparent that fluorides have the ability to interfere with the functions of the brain."
SOURCE: National Research Council. (2006). Fluoride in Drinking Water: A Scientific Review of EPA's Standards. National Academies Press, Washington D.C. p 187.

"Studies in animals and human populations suggest that fluoride exposure, at levels that are experienced by a significant proportion of the population whose drinking water is fluoridated, may have adverse impacts on the developing brain. Though no final conclusions may be reached from available data, the findings are provocative and of significant public health concern."
SOURCE: Schettler T, et al. (2000). Known and suspected developmental neurotoxicants. pp. 90-92. In: In Harms Way - Toxic Threats to Child Development. Greater Boston Physicians for Social Responsibility: Cambridge, MA. (See report)

“Fluorides also increase the production of free radicals in the brain through several different biological pathways. These changes have a bearing on the possibility that fluorides act to increase the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease.”
SOURCE: National Research Council. (2006). Fluoride in Drinking Water: A Scientific Review of EPA's Standards. National Academies Press, Washington D.C. p 186.

“Studies of populations exposed to different concentrations of fluoride should be undertaken to evaluate neurochemical changes that may be associated with dementia. Consideration should be given to assessing effects from chronic exposure, effects that might be delayed or occur late-in-life, and individual susceptibility.”
SOURCE: National Research Council. (2006). Fluoride in Drinking Water: A Scientific Review of EPA's Standards. National Academies Press, Washington D.C. p 187.

HUMAN STUDIES- Fluoride's Impact on IQ: (back to top)

“We found that exposure to fluoride (F) in urine was associated with reduced Performance, Verbal, and Full IQ scores before and after adjusting for confounders. The same pattern was observed for models with F in water as the exposure variable.... The individual effect of F in urine indicated that for each mg increase of F in urine a decrease of 1.7 points in Full IQ might be expected.”
SOURCE: Rocha-Amador D, et al. (2007). Decreased intelligence in children and exposure to fluoride and arsenic in drinking water. Cadernos de Saude Publica 23(Suppl 4):S579-87.

"These negative correlations between IQ and urinary As and between IQ and urinary fluoride indicate that exposure to high levels of As or fluoride, or both, could affect children’s intelligence... This study indicates that exposure to fluoride in drinking water is associated with neurotoxic effects in children."
SOURCE: Wang SX, et al. (2007). Arsenic and fluoride exposure in drinking water: children's IQ and growth in Shanyin county, Shanxi province, China. Environmental Health Perspectives 115(4):643-7.

"In agreement with other studies elsewhere, these findings indicate that children drinking high F water are at risk for impaired development of intelligence."
SOURCE: Trivedi MH, et al. (2007). Effect of high fluoride water on intelligence of school children in India. Fluoride 40(3):178-183.

"Based on the findings of this study, exposure of children to high levels of fluoride may carry the risk of impaired development of intelligence."
SOURCE: Seraj B, et al. (2006). [Effect of high fluoride concentration in drinking water on children’s intelligence]. Journal of Dental Medicine 19(2):80-86.

"A few epidemiologic studies of Chinese populations have reported IQ deficits in children exposed to fluoride at 2.5 to 4 mg/L in drinking water. Although the studies lacked sufficient detail for the committee to fully assess their quality and relevance to U.S. populations, the consistency of the results appears significant enough to warrant additional research on the effects of fluoride on intelligence."
SOURCE: National Research Council. (2006). Fluoride in Drinking Water: A Scientific Review of EPA's Standards. National Academies Press, Washington D.C. p. 6.

"Conclusion: High fluoride burden has a definite effect on the intellectual and physical development of children."
SOURCE: Wang S, et al. (2005). Effects of coal burning related endemic fluorosis on body development and intelligence levels of children. Journal of Applied Clinical Pediatrics 20(9): 897-898.

"In our study, it was shown that the average IQ of children in a fluoride endemic area was somewhat lower than the control, but the result was not significant (P>0.05). The rate of children with “low” IQs, however, was elevated as compared to the control, and this was very statistically significant... Our study showed that, within the fluoride endemic area, the average IQ of children suffering from dental fluorosis is clearly lower than those that show no signs of the disease, and this result is very significant (P <0.01). This IQ difference of 8.12 suggests that children suffering from dental fluorosis might be particularly sensitive to excess fluoride, and that the manifestation of this is not limited to the typical symptoms of fluorosis, but, more seriously, also disrupts intellectual development."
SOURCE: Li Y, et al. (2003). The effects of endemic fluoride poisoning on the intellectual development of children in Baotou. Chinese Journal of Public Health Management 19(4):337-338.

“Higher drinking water fluoride levels were significantly associated with higher rates of mental retardation (IQ <70) and borderline intelligence (IQ 70-79)... In endemic fluorosis areas, drinking water fluoride levels greater than 1.0 mg/L may adversely affect the development of children's intelligence.”
SOURCE: Xiang Q, et al. (2003a). Effect of fluoride in drinking water on children's intelligence. Fluoride 36: 84-94.

"As an additional part of our investigation of an association between fluoride in drinking water and children’s intelligence in two villages of Sihong County, Jiangsu Province, China, we have now determined blood lead levels of children in that study... The results show there is essentially no difference between the two villages in blood lead concentrations of the children... These results thus make it very unlikely that the differences in IQ of the children living in Wamiao and Xinhuai are the result of differences in exposure to lead rather than to fluoride."
SOURCE: Xiang Q, et al. (2003b). Blood lead of children in Wamiao-Xinhuai intelligence study. Fluoride 36: 198-199.

"After controlling by significant confounders, urinary fluoride correlated positively with reaction time and inversely with the scores in visuospatial organization. IQ scores were not influenced by fluoride exposure. An increase in reaction time could affect the attention process, also the low scores in visuospatial organization could be affecting the reading and writing abilities in these children.”
SOURCE: Calderon J, et al. (2000). Influence of fluoride exposure on reaction time and visuospatial organization in children. Epidemiology 11(4): S153.

"In terms of IQ ranking, the high fluoride groups showed significant deficits as compared to control (P<0.01)... Conclusion: When fluoride and iodine levels in excess of national standards for drinking water are present in the same area and ingested together, the harmful effects of fluoride are more pronounced, and the resulting damage compounded."
SOURCE: Hong F, et al. (2001). A study of fluorine effects on children's intelligence development under different environments. Chinese Primary Health Care 15: 56-57.

“The IQ of the 60 children in the high-fluoride area was significantly lower than that of the 58 children in the low-fluoride area... More children in the high-fluoride area were in the retardation or borderline categories of IQ than children in the low fluoride area. An inverse relationship was also present between IQ and the urinary fluoride level. Exposure of children to high levels of fluoride may therefore carry the risk of impaired development of intelligence.”
SOURCE: Lu Y, et al (2000). Effect of high-fluoride water on intelligence of children. Fluoride 33:74-78.

"A study of intelligence quotient (IQ) in China was conducted using Wickler's Intelligence Quotient Table for preschool children, in 4-7 year-old children, 147 from a district with high level of fluoride and 83 from a control area. High F intake had a significant influence on IQ of preschool children. Operation IQ was mainly affected."
SOURCE: Wang G, et al. (1996). Research on intelligence quotient of 4-7 year-old children in a district with a high level of fluoride. Endemic Diseases Bulletin 11:60-62.

"In Shanxi Province, China, children living in the endemic fluoride village of Sima located near Xiaoyi City had average IQ significantly lower than children living to the north in the nonendemic village of Xinghua.”
SOURCE: Zhao LB, et al (1996). Effect of high-fluoride water supply on children's intelligence. Fluoride 29: 190-192.

“The intelligence was measured of 907 children aged 8-13 years living in areas which differed in the amount of fluoride present in the environment. The Intelligence Quotient (IQ) of children living in areas with a medium or severe prevalence of fluorosis was lower than that of children living in areas with only slight fluorosis or no fluorosis. The development of intelligence appeared to be adversely affected by fluoride in the areas with a medium or severe prevalence of fluorosis. A high fluoride intake was associated with a lower intelligence.”
SOURCE: Li XS. (1995). Effect of Fluoride Exposure on Intelligence in Children. Fluoride 28:189-192.

“We made an investigation in 157 children, aged 12-13, born and grew up in a coal burning pattern endemic fluorosis area and an experiment on excessive fluoride intake in rat. The results showed: (1) Excessive fluoride intake since early childhood would reduce mental work capacity (MWC) and hair zinc content: (2) The effect on zinc metabolism was a mechanism of influence on MWC by excessive fluoride intake...”
SOURCE: Li Y, et al. (1994). [Effect of excessive fluoride intake on mental work capacity of children and a preliminary study of its mechanism] Hua Hsi I Ko Ta Hsueh Hsueh Pao. 25:188-91.

"An excess of fluoride and a lack of iodine in the same environment has been shown to have a marked effect on child intellectual development, causing a more significant intellectual deficit than lack of iodine alone. The subject group of children from the high fluoride, high iodine zone have an average IQ of 76.67±7.75, which was somewhat less than the control (IQ = 81.67 ±11.9), though the different is not significant (P>0.05). However, the percentage of subject children in the low range (16.67%) is higher than the control, suggesting that a high iodine, high fluoride environment also has a definite negative influence on child intellectual ability."
SOURCE: Yang Y, et al. (1994). Effects of high iodine and high fluorine on children's intelligence and the metabolism of iodine and fluorine. Chinese Journal of Pathology 15(5):296-8.

"The results of this study show that the children living in high fluoride areas have lower IQs than the children from the non-endemic area. Also, there were many more children from the endemic area with an IQ score ranking of below the borderline low level as compared to the control; in the endemic area, there were 18 such subject, or 30% of the total, while in the non-endemic area there were only 7, or a rate of 11.5%. The difference between the two groups is significant. The overall distribution shows marked difference, with the scores in control group on average one rank higher than the control... In summary, although diminished intellectual ability can result from a multitude of factors (both innate and acquired) that influence neural development and cell division in the cerebrum, the comparison conducted in this study of two areas where the other environment factors are basically the same shows clear differences in IQ, and it's probable that this difference is due to a high fluoride environment. It is not clear whether the underlying mechanism is fetal exposure to fluoride resulting from the poisoning of the mother or intake of fluoride after birth (in either case causing a disruption nerve cell development leading to mental deficits); this matter awaits further study."
SOURCE: Guo XC, et al. (1991). A preliminary exploration of IQ of 7-13 year old pupils in a fluorosis area with contamination from burning coal. Chinese Journal of Endemiology 10:98-100.

"This results of this study indicate that there is significant difference between the intellectual ability of the 7 – 14 year old children from the endemic area and those of the control, and moreover that the average IQ of the children from the endemic area is clearly lower. In the endemic region, the children in the 80-89 range and below make up more than 25% of the total, while in the control range only 18% of the children fall into that range, demonstrating that high fluoride has a direct connection with the intellectual development of children."
SOURCE: Chen YX, et al. (1991). Research on the intellectual development of children in high fluoride areas. Chinese Journal of Control of Endemic Diseases. 6(supplement):99-100.

“The significant differences in IQ among these regions suggests that fluoride can exacerbate central nervous lesions and somatic developmental disturbance caused by iodine deficiency. This may be in keeping with fluoride's known ability to cause degenerative changes in central nervous system cells and to inhibit the activities of many enzymes, including choline enzymes, causing disturbance of the nerve impulse.”
SOURCE: Lin Fa-Fu; et al (1991). The relationship of a low-iodine and high-fluoride environment to subclinical cretinism in Xinjiang. Iodine Deficiency Disorder Newsletter Vol. 7. No. 3.

"By testing of the intellectual ability of 447 elementary school students ranging in age from 9 to 10 1/2, it was discovered that both high and low fluoride had an effect on child intelligence. Fluoride levels greater than 2.0 mg/L or less than 0.2 mg/L can disrupt intellectual development."
SOURCE: Qin LS, Cui SY. (1990). The influence of drinking water fluoride on pupils IQ, as measured by Rui Wen's standards. Chinese Journal of the Control of Endemic Diseases 5:203-204.

"The effect of a harmful environment containing both high fluoride and low iodine on the development of child mental ability has yet to be reported on. To investigate this question, the authors used the Wechsler Intelligence Test to determine the IQs of a total of 329 eight- to fourteen-year-old children living in nine high fluoride, low iodine villages and seven villages that had only low levels of iodine. We discovered that the IQs of children from high fluoride, low iodine villages were clearly lower than those from the villages with low iodine alone."
SOURCE: Ren Da-Li. (1989). An investigation of intelligence development of children aged 8-14 years in high-fluoride and low-iodine areas. Chinese Journal of Control of Endemic Diseases 4:251.

HUMAN STUDIES- Fluoride's Impact on the Developing Brain (Fetuses/Infants): (back to top)

"The effects of excessive fluoride intake during pregnancy on neonatal neurobehavioural development and the neurodevelopment toxicity of fluoride were evaluated. Ninety-one normal neonates delivered at the department of obstetrics and gynecology in five hospitals of Zhaozhou County, Heilongjiang province, China were randomly selected from December 2002 to January 2003. The subjects were divided into two groups (high fluoride and control) based on the fluoride content in the drinking water of pregnant women. The results showed that the urinary fluoride levels of mothers from the high fluoride group were higher than those of the control group. There were significant differences in the neonatal behavioral neurological assessment score and neonatal behavioral score between the subjects in endemic areas and the control group. There were also significant differences in the non-biological visual orientation reaction and biological visual and auditory orientation reaction between the two groups. It is concluded that fluoride is toxic to neurodevelopment. Excessive fluoride intake during pregnancy can cause adverse effects on neonatal neurobehavioural development."
SOURCE: Li J, Yao L, Shao Q-L. (2004). Effects of high-fluoride on neonatal neurobehavioural development. Chinese Journal of Endemiology 23:464-465.

"The levels of neurotransmitters and receptors in brain tissue of aborted fetuses from areas of endemic fluorosis were tested. The results showed that in 10 subjects from a high fluoride area ranging in age from 5 to 7 months, the levels of norepinephrine, 5-hydroxyltryptamine, and α1-receptor were lower and the level of epinephrine higher as compared with levels seen in the control fetuses from a non-fluorosis endemic area; each of these results was statistically significant (P<0.05). Other monoamine neurotransmitters and metabolic products, such as dopamine, 5-hydroxy-indole acetic acid, and 3,4-dihydroxybenzoic acid showed no significant differences (P>0.05). The results suggest that the accumulation of fluoride in the brain tissue can disrupt the synthesis of certain neurotransmitters and receptors in nerve cells, leading to neural dysplasia or other damage."
SOURCE: Yu Y, et al. (1996). Changes in neurotransmitters and their receptors in human foetal brain from an endemic fluorosis area. Chinese Journal of Endemiology 15:257-259.

“Fifteen therapeutically aborted fetuses at the 5th-8th gestation month from the endemic fluorosis area were compared with those from the non-endemic area. Stereological study of the brains showed that the numerical density of volume of the neurons and the undifferentiated neuroblasts as well as the nucleus-cytoplasm ratio of the neurons were increased. The mean volume of the neurons was reduced. The numerical density of volume, the volume density and the surface density of the mitochondria were significantly reduced. The results showed that chronic fluorosis in the course of intrauterine fetal life may produce certain harmful effects on the developing brain of the fetus.”
SOURCE: Du L. (1992). [The effect of fluorine on the developing human brain]. Chung-hua Ping Li Hsueh Tsa Chih. 21:218-20.

"Fluoride can pass through the blood-brain barrier and accumulate in brain tissue, thus in our study the brain tissue of the fetuses from the fluoride endemic area showed higher fluoride levels than the control. The mechanisms involved are not yet clear. Besides increased amounts of fluoride, the brain tissue of the endemic subjects also showed nerve cells with swollen mitochondria, expanded granular endoplasmic reticula, grouping of the chromatin, damage to the nuclear envelope, a lower number of synapses, fewer mitochondria, microtubules, and vesicles within the synapses, and damage to the synaptic membrane. These changes indicate that fluoride can retard the growth and division of cells in the cerebral cortex. Fewer mitochondria, microtubules, and vesicles within the synapses could lead to fewer connections between neurons and abnormal synaptic function, influencing the intellectual development after birth. These questions await further research."
SOURCE: Han H, et al. (1989). The effects of fluorine on human fetus. Chinese Journal of Control of Endemic Diseases 4:136-138.

HUMAN STUDIES- Fluoride's Impact on the Adult Brain: (back to top)

"The results of the NCTB (neurobehavioral core test battery) testing show the exposed groups with significant differences for various indices as compared to the reference standards and the control, with particular deficits in attention, auditory retention, and physical dexterity and acuity as well as abnormal emotional states. This is consistent with the symptoms of endemic fluoride poisoning, suggesting occupational exposure to fluoride has a harmful effect on the higher functions of the central nervous system, negatively influencing both cognitive and autonomic functioning. There is a definite relationship between the damage caused by fluoride and the level of exposure. The correlation analysis shows that, with the exception of visual retention and digit symbol testing, serum fluoride is negatively correlated with all relevant indices, further demonstrating the cause and effect relationship between occupational fluoride exposure and neurobehavioral function; these tests can be used as early indicators to help protect the health of workers exposed to fluoride as part of their jobs."
SOURCE: Guo Z, et al. (2001). Study on neurobehavioral function of workers occupationally exposed to fluoride. Industrial Health and Occupational Disease 27:346-348.

“Sulfuryl fluoride exposure over the year preceding examination was associated with significantly reduced performance on the Pattern Memory Test and on olfactory testing... CONCLUSIONS: Occupational sulfuryl fluoride exposures may be associated with subclinical effects on the central nervous system, including effects on olfactory and some cognitive functions.”
SOURCE: Calvert GM, et al. (1998). Health effects associated with sulfuryl fluoride and methyl bromide exposure among structural fumigation workers. American Journal of Public Health 88:1774-80.

"Although the blood-brain barrier is relatively impermeable to fluoride, it does not pose an absolute barrier and fluoride has the ability to enter the brain. The literature was examined to assess the quality of the evidence for cerebral impairment occurring due to exposure to fluoride from therapeutic or environmental sources. Several surveys of persons chronically exposed to industrial fluoride pollution reported symptoms related to impaired central nervous system functioning with impaired cognition and memory. Examination of individual case reports showed the evidence for aetiological relationships between symptoms and fluoride exposure to be of variable quality. The evidence was seen as being suggestive of a relationship rather than being definitive. The difficulties with concentration and memory described in relation to exposure to fluoride did not occur in isolation but were accompanied by other symptoms of which general malaise and fatigue were central. Possible mechanisms whereby fluoride could affect brain function include influencing calcium currents, altering enzyme configuration by forming strong hydrogen bonds with amide groups, inhibiting cortical adenylyl cyclase activity and increasing phosphoinositide hydrolysis."
SOURCE: Spittle B. (1994). Psychopharmacology of fluoride: a review. International clinical psychopharmacology 9:79-82.

PatriotOne
07-31-2010, 09:06 PM
ANIMAL STUDIES - Fluoride's Impact on Brain (Behavior/ Learning/ Memory): (back to top)

"Overall, these results suggest that moderate intoxication with sodium fluoride has potentially deleterious effects on learning and memory."
SOURCE: Chioca LR, et al. (2007). Subchronic fluoride intake induces impairment in habituation and active avoidance tasks in rats. European Journal of Pharmacology Oct 25; [Epub ahead of print]

"The results of the present study indicate that perinatal exposure to sodium fluoride (NaF), at dose levels below those associated with gross malformations and/or overt neurotoxic effects, produces both short and long term sex and dose specific neurobehavioural alterations in rat offspring."
SOURCE: Bera I, et al. (2007). Neurofunctional effects of developmental sodium fluoride exposure in rats. European Review for Medical and Pharmacological Sciences 11(4):211-24.

"Additional animal studies designed to evaluate reasoning are needed. These studies must be carefully designed to measure cognitive skills beyond rote learning or the acquisition of simple associations, and test environmentally relevant doses of fluoride."
SOURCE: National Research Council. (2006). Fluoride in Drinking Water: A Scientific Review of EPA's Standards. National Academies Press, Washington D.C. p. 187.

"In comparison with control rats, the learning and memory ability of the offspring rats was depressed by high fluoride, low iodine, or the combination of high fluoride and low iodine."
SOURCE: Wang J, et al. (2004). Effects of high fluoride and low iodine on biochemical indexes of the brain and learning-memory of offspring rats. Fluoride 37: 201-208.

"Fluoride intoxicated animals also performed poorly in motor co-ordination tests and maze tests. Inability to perform well increased with higher fluoride concentration in drinking water.”
SOURCE: Bhatnagar M, et al. (2002). Neurotoxicity of fluoride: neurodegeneration in hippocampus of female mice. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology 40: 546-54.
“Administration of sodium fluoride with drinking water produced both behavioural and dental toxicities and not lethality in the present study. A suppression of spontaneous motor activity, a shortening of rota-rod endurance time, a decreased body weight gain and food intake, a suppression of total cholinesterase and acetylcholinesterase activities and dental lesion were observed in test animals.”
SOURCE: Ekambaram P, Paul V. (2001). Calcium preventing locomotor behavioral and dental toxicities of fluoride by decreasing serum fluoride level in rats. Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology 9(4):141-146.

“The main results showed that the learning capability of mice drinking higher concentration of fluoride presented remarkable deterioration.”
SOURCE: Zhang Z, et al. (2001). [Effects of selenium on the damage of learning-memory ability of mice induced by fluoride]. Wei Sheng Yan Jiu. 30(3):144-6.
“Learning and memory abilities of high-fluoride exposed groups were significantly lower than that of the control group, while the brain ChE activities of high-fluoride exposed groups were significantly higher. Conclusions: High fluoride concentration in drinking water can decrease the cerebral functions of mice. Fluoride is a neurotoxicant.”
SOURCE: Sun ZR, et al. (2000). Effects of high fluoride drinking water on the cerebral functions of mice. Chinese Journal of Epidemiology 19: 262-263.

“The main results are as follows: the learning ability of mice drinking high concentration of fluoride presented remarkable deterioration... The results suggested that the impairment on the learning capability induced by fluorosis may be closely related with the pathological changes of synaptic structure in the brain of mice.”
SOURCE: Zhang Z, et al. (1999). [Effect of fluoride exposure on synaptic structure of brain areas related to learning-memory in mice] [Article in Chinese]. Wei Sheng Yan Jiu 28(4):210-2.
“Sodium fluoride treatment suppressed spontaneous motor activity But no change was observed in the motor coordination of these animals. A suppression of spontaneous motor activity suggests that fluoride has, by a central action, inhibited motivation of these animals to exhibit locomotor behavior.”
SOURCE: Paul V, et al. (1998). Effects of sodium fluoride on locomotor behavior and a few biochemical parameters in rats. Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology 6: 187–191.

"In this experiment, the freeze response to auditory stimuli in the pups showed significant delay, indicating that relatively high doses of fluoride can negatively influence the development of auditory nerves. Guan Zhizhong et al[8] report that the offspring of rats exposed to fluoride have retarded cerebral development and exhibit changes in neural cell ultrastructure. The results of the present experiment suggest that the effects of high doses of fluoride on the behavior development of the offspring are visible primarily as slight delays in response times, particularly with regard to motor and coordination function and well as muscle strength. The measurement of the thickness of the cerebral cortex of offspring on day 21 revealed that the 25 mg/L group had a significantly thinner cerebral cortex as compared to the control; this histological analysis indicates that fluoride slows the growth of brain cells."
SOURCE: Wu N, et al. (1995). Research on the abnormal behavior of rats exposed to fluoride. Chinese Journal of Control of Endemic Diseases 14(5):271.

“This study demonstrates a link between certain fluoride exposures and behavioral disruption in the rat. The effect on behavior varied with the timing of exposure during CNS development. Behavioral changes common to weanling and adult exposures were different from those after prenatal exposures... Experience with other developmental neurotoxicants prompts expectations that changes in behavioral function will be comparable across species, especially humans and rats... [A] generic behavioral pattern disruption as found in this rat study can be indicative of a potential for motor dysfunction, IQ deficits and/or learning disabilities in humans.”
SOURCE: Mullenix P, et al. (1995). Neurotoxicity of Sodium Fluoride in Rats. Neurotoxicology and Teratology 17:169-177.

" When rats were treated 6 hr a day for 5 mo. with HF concentrations of 3, 1, 0.5, and 0.1 mg/m-3, it caused functional changes in the CNS, as shown by the condition reflex method and the measurement of chronaxy. There was inhibition of the blood alkaline phosphatase activity and pathomorphological changes in the CNS, bone and tooth tissues and internal organs. The extent of the changes depended on the concentration of HF. The maximum allowable concentration of HF for the air at working places presently accepted, 0.5 mg/m-3, is too high."
SOURCE: Vishnevskii VL, El Nichnykh LN. (1969). (A toxicological and morphological characterization of the action of different concentrations of inhaled hydrogen fluoride on the body.). Tr Tsentr Nauchno-Issled Proektn-Konstr In. 2: 143-147.

"General malaise, asthenia, and apathy developed to a marked degree in the monkeys exposed to the BeF2 (beryllium fluoride) aerosol, and in those under the heaviest BeHPO4 exposure. The monkeys retreated to the furthest corner of their cages and paid no attention to light flashed at them. They remained in this withdrawn and listless condition until death. Monkeys which inhaled the BeSO4 aerosol faired best of all."
SOURCE: Schepers GWH. (1964). Biological action of beryllium: Reaction of the monkey to inhaled aerosols. Industrial Medicine and Surgery 33: 1-16.

ANIMAL STUDIES - Fluoride's Impact on Brain: (back to top)

"Lipids and phospholipids, phosphohydrolases and phospholipase D, and protein content have been shown to be reduced in the brains of laboratory animals subsequent to fluoride exposure. The greatest changes were found in phosphatidylethanolamine, phosphotidylcholine, and phosphotidylserine. Fluorides also inhibit the activity of cholinesterases, including acetylcholinesterase. Recently, the number of receptors for acetylcholine has been found to be reduced in regions of the brain thought to be most important for mental stability and for adequate retrieval of memories.

It appears that many of fluoride’s effects, and those of the aluminofluoride complexes are mediated by activation of Gp, a protein of the G family. G proteins mediate the release of many of the best known transmitters of the central nervous system. Not only do fluorides affect transmitter concentrations and functions but also are involved in the regulation of glucagons, prostaglandins, and a number of central nervous system peptides, including vasopressin, endogenous opioids, and other hypothalamic peptides. The AlFx binds to GDP and ADP altering their ability to form the triphosphate molecule essential for providing energies to cells in the brain. Thus, AlFx not only provides false messages throughout the nervous system but, at the same time, diminishes the energy essential to brain function.

Fluorides also increase the production of free radicals in the brain through several different biological pathways. These changes have a bearing on the possibility that fluorides act to increase the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease. Today, the disruption of aerobic metabolism in the brain, a reduction of effectiveness of acetylcholine as a transmitter, and an increase in free radicals are thought to be causative factors for this disease. More research is needed to clarify fluoride’s biochemical effects on the brain."
SOURCE: National Research Council. (2006). Fluoride in Drinking Water: A Scientific Review of EPA's Standards. National Academies Press, Washington D.C. p. 186.

"Studies of rats exposed to NaF or AlF3 have reported distortion in cells in the outer and inner layers of the neocortex. Neuronal deformations were also found in the hippocampus and to a smaller extent in the amygdala and the cerebellum. Aluminum was detected in neurons and glia, as well as in the lining and in the lumen of blood vessels in the brain and kidney. The substantial enhancement of reactive microglia, the presence of stained intracellular neurofilaments, and the presence of IgM observed in rodents are related to signs of dementia in humans. The magnitude of the changes was large and consistent among the studies."
SOURCE: National Research Council. (2006). Fluoride in Drinking Water: A Scientific Review of EPA's Standards. National Academies Press, Washington D.C. p. 187.

"In the present study, levels of glutathione and activities of catalase, GSH-PX, and SOD were significantly decreased, whereas lipid peroxide levels were enhanced in the brain of adult rats by treatment with NaF, As2O, or NaF + As2O3, in agreement with earlier reports."
SOURCE: Chinoy NJ, et al. (2004). Biochemical effects of sodium fluoride and arsenic trioxide toxicity and their reversal in the brain of mice. Fluoride 37: 80-87.

"The histology of the cerebral hemisphere was altered by NaF and/or Arsenic trioxide [As2O3] treatment for 30 days, wherein the effect by As2O3 was greater than by NaF treatment. This result is in agreement with others... The reduced brain acetylcholinesterase (AChE) enzyme activity observed in the present study corroborates data of others in rats exposed for three months to arsenic trioxide and in the brain of NaF-treated mice and rats as compared to controls... The DNA and RNA levels in the cerebral hemisphere were significantly lower in NaF and/or As2O3-treated mice in the present study, which could affect brain function. The ingestion of the antidotes vitimans C and E as well as calcium phosphate, either indivdually or in combination, during the 30-day withdrawal period resulted in significant recovery, probably due to the antioxidant-properties of vitamins C and E and modulation of fluoride-induced toxicity in rats by calcium."
SOURCE: Shah SD, Chinoy NJ. (2004). Adverse effects of fluoride and/or arsenic on the cerebral hemisphere of mice and recovery by some antidotes. Fluoride 37: 162-171.
"Superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity and the malondialdehyde (MDA) content in the brain of the combined high fluoride and low iodine group were significantly higher during and at the end of the 90-day period than in the control group, but the SOD/MDA ratio in this high fluoride and low iodine group was consistently lower than in the control group. These results suggest that [oxidative] stress from high fluoride and low iodine is one of the causes of reduction in learning and memory in offspring rats."
SOURCE: Wang J, Ge Y, Ning H, Wang S. (2004). Effects of high fluoride and low iodine on biochemical indexes of the brain and learning-memory of offspring rats. Fluoride 37: 201-208.

"Brain protein was decreased by low iodine and even more by the combined interaction of high fluoride and low iodine. The activity of cholinesterase (ChE) in the brain was affected to some extent by high fluoride and low iodine but was especially affected by high fluoride and low iodine together."
SOURCE: Wang J, et al. (2004). Effects of high fluoride and low iodine on biochemical indexes of the brain and learning-memory of offspring rats. Fluoride 37: 201-208.

“Recently, we have detected the alterations of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChRs) in rat brains and PC12 cells affected by fluoride toxicity... [O]xidative stress, including protein oxidation of the receptors and lipid peroxidation in cellular membrane, might be a mechanism of the deficit of the receptors.”
SOURCE: Shan KR, Qi XL, Long YG, Wang YN, Nordberg A, Guan ZZ. (2004). Decreased nicotinic receptors in PC12 cells and rat brains influenced by fluoride toxicity—a mechanism relating to a damage at the level in post-transcription of the receptor genes. Toxicology 200: 169–177.

“Fluorosis had obvious influence on phospholipid and fatty acid composition in brain cells of rats, and its mechanism might be associated with action of lipid peroxidation, and 0.03 mg/L KI (potassium iodine) is the optimal concentration for the antagonistic action with this influence from fluorosis.”
SOURCE: Shen X, Zhang Z, Xu X. (2004). [Influence of combined iodine and fluoride on phospholipid and fatty acid composition in brain cells of rats] Wei Sheng Yan Jiu. 33:158-61.

“These findings suggest that selective decreases in the number of nAChRs may play an important role in the mechanism(s) by which fluoride causes dysfunction of the central nervous system.”
SOURCE: Chen J, Shan KR, Long YG, Wang YN, Nordberg A, Guan ZZ. (2003). Selective decreases of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in PC12 cells exposed to fluoride. Toxicology 183: 235-42.

“These neurotoxic changes in the brain suggested that there was a direct action of fluoride upon the nerve tissue which was responsible for central nervous system problems such as tremors, seizures, and paralysis indicating brain dysfunction seen at the two highest doses."
SOURCE: Shashi A. (2003). Histopathological investigation of fluoride-induced neurotoxicity in rabbits. Fluoride 36: 95-105.

“CONCLUSION: Fluoride may go through the blood-brain barrier and accumulate in rat hippocampus, and inhibit the activity of cholinesterase.”
SOURCE: Zhai JX, et al. (2003). [Studies on fluoride concentration and cholinesterase activity in rat hippocampus]. Zhonghua Lao Dong Wei Sheng Zhi Ye Bing Za Zhi 21:102-4.

“Light microscopic study of hippocampal sub-regions demonstrated significant number of degenerated nerve cell bodies in the CA3, CA4 and dentate gyrus(Dg) areas of sodium fluoride administered adult female mice. Ultrastructural studies revealed neurodegenerative characteristics like involution of cell membranes, swelling of mitochondria, clumping of chromatin material etc, can be observed in cell bodies of CA3, CA4 and dentate gyrus (Dg).”
SOURCE: Bhatnagar M, et al. (2002). Neurotoxicity of fluoride: neurodegeneration in hippocampus of female mice. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology 40: 546-54.

“The DNA damage in pallium neurons in rats of the fluoride group was much more serious compared with those of the control group...Sodium fluoride could induce DNA damage and apoptosis in rats brain.”
SOURCE: Chen J, Chen X, Yang K, Xia T, Xie H. (2002). [Studies on DNA damage and apoptosis in rat brain induced by fluoride]. Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi 36: 222-224.

“In order to investigate the molecular mechanism(s) underlying brain dysfunction caused by chronic fluorosis, neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChRs) in the brain of rats receiving either 30 or 100 ppm fluoride in their drinking water for 7 months were analyzed in the present study employing ligand binding and Western blotting... Since nAChRs play major roles in cognitive processes such as learning and memory, the decrease in the number of nAChRs caused by fluoride toxicity may be an important factor in the mechanism of brain dysfunction in the disorder.”
SOURCE: Long YG, Wang YN, Chen J, Jiang SF, Nordberg A, Guan ZZ. (2002). Chronic fluoride toxicity decreases the number of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in rat brain. Neurotoxicology and Teratology 24:751-7.

“These results suggest that fluoride enhances oxidative stress in the brain, thereby disturbing the antioxidant defense of rats. Increased oxidative stress could be one of the mediating factors in the pathogenesis of fluoride toxicity in the brain.”
SOURCE: Shivarajashankara YM , et al. (2002). Brain lipid peroxidation and antioxidant systems of young rats in chronic fluoride intoxication. Fluoride 35: 197-203.

“rats exposed to 100 ppm fluoride showed significant neurodegenerative changes in the hippocampus, amygdala, motor cortex, and cerebellum... These histological changes suggest a toxic effect of high-fluoride intake during the early developing stages of life on the growth, differentiation, and subcellular organization of brain cells in rats.”
SOURCE: Shivarajashankara YM , et al. (2002). Histological changes in the brain of young fluoride-intoxicated rats. Fluoride 35: 12-21.

“The extent of DNA damage in the fluoride + selenium + zinc group was significantly slighter than that in the fluoride group (P < 0.05). It suggested that fluoride and selenium could induce DNA damage in pallium neural cells of rats respectively.”
SOURCE: Chen J, Chen X, Yang K. (2000). [Effects of selenium and zinc on the DNA damage caused by fluoride in pallium neural cells of rats]. Wei Sheng Yan Jiu. 29: 216-7.

“This study therefore shows that both brain and muscle are affected by fluoride with inhibition of some enzymes associated with free-radical metabolism, energy production and transfer, membrane transport, and synaptic transmission, but with an enhanced activity of XOD.”
SOURCE: Lakshmi Vani M, Pratap Reddy K. (2000). Effects of fluoride accumulation on some enzymes of brain and gastrocnemius muscle of mice. Fluoride 33: 17-26.

“There is a tendency for neurone apoptosis in chronic fluorosis in rats. It is most evident with changes in pathology. It is not likely that only one form of neurone damage exist in the process of chronic fluorosis. There are recessive changes and apoptosis in the process at the same time.”
SOURCE: Lu XH, et al. (2000). Study of the mechanism of neurone apoptosis in rats from the chronic fluorosis. Chinese Journal of Epidemiology 19: 96-98.

“Over uptake of fluoride for a long term could cause potential increase in the level of oxidative stress in the brain tissue.”
SOURCE: Shao Q, Wang Y, Guan Z. (2000). [Influence of free radical inducer on the level of oxidative stress in brain of rats with fluorosis]. Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi 34:330-2.

\“It was concluded that aluminium interferes with the metabolism of the neuronal cytoskeleton and that this interference is potentiated by fluoride.”
SOURCE: van der Voet GB, et al. (1999). Fluoride enhances the effect of aluminium chloride on interconnections between aggregates of hippocampal neurons. Archives of Physiology and Biochemistry 107:15-21.

"[T]he thickness of post-synaptic density (PSD) was decreased, and the width of synaptic cleft was remarkably increased. The results suggested that the impairment on the learning capability induced by fluorosis may be closely related with the pathological changes of synaptic structure in the brain of mice.”
SOURCE: Zhang Z, et al. (1999). [Effect of fluoride exposure on synaptic structure of brain areas related to learning-memory in mice] [Article in Chinese]. Wei Sheng Yan Jiu 28:210-2.

“The results demonstrate that the contents of phospholipid and ubiquinone are modified in brains affected by chronic fluorosis and these changes of membrane lipids could be involved in the pathogenesis of this disease.”
SOURCE: Guan ZZ, Wang YN, Xiao KQ, Dai DY, Chen YH, Liu JL, Sindelar P, Dallner G. (1998). Influence of chronic fluorosis on membrane lipids in rat brain. Neurotoxicology and Teratology 20: 537-542.

“While the small amount of AlF in the drinking water of rats required for neurotoxic effects is surprising, perhaps even more surprising are the neurotoxic results of NaF at the dose given in the present study [1.0 ppm F]... The results of the present study indicate that more intensive neuropathological evaluations of F effects on brain may prove to be of value... In summary, chronic administration of AlF and NaF in the drinking water of rats resulted in distinct morphological alterations in the brain, including effects on neurons and cerebrovasculature.”
SOURCE: Varner JA, et al. (1998). Chronic administration of aluminum-fluoride and sodium-fluoride to rats in drinking water: Alterations in neuronal and cerebrovascular integrity. Brain Research 784: 284-298.

“These results indicate that fluoride may penetrate the blood brain barrier, interact with AChE located on cell membranes, and interfere with their physiological functions and thus induce the neurotoxicities.”
SOURCE: Zhao XL, Wu JH. (1998). Actions of sodium fluoride on acetylcholinesterase activities in rats. Biomedical and Environmental Sciences 11(1):1-6.

“The metabolism of brain phospholipid might be interfered by fluoride accumulated in brain tissue, which is related with the degeneration of neuron. The changes of brain phospholipid could be involved in the pathogenesis of chronic fluorosis.”
SOURCE: Guan Z, Wang Y, Xiao K. (1997). [Influence of experimental fluorosis on phospholipid content and fatty acid composition in rat brain]. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi. 77: 592-6.

“Neuronal abnormalities were observed in the NaF treated animals- especially in the deeper cell layers... The NaF treatment also produced distortions of cells and, in some rats, cell losses could be demonstrated in particular brain regions. Both AlF3 and NaF induced vascular inclusions, although of a different character...”
SOURCE: Issacson R, et al. (1997). Toxin-induced blood vessel inclusions caused by the chronic administration of aluminum and sodium fluoride and their implications for dementia. Annals of the New York Academy of Science 825: 152-166.

“Coenzyme Q content of brain tissue in rats fed with fluorine-containing water decreased at early stage of fluorosis, but increased significantly at late stage. It is speculated that changes in content of coenzyme Q could correlate with changes in free radical levels induced by fluorine.”
SOURCE: Wang Y, Guan Z, Xiao K. (1997). [Changes of coenzyme Q content in brain tissues of rats with fluorosis]. Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi. 31: 330-3.

“Excessive fluoride intake decreased 5-hydroxy indole acetic acid and increased norepinephrine in rat brain.”
SOURCE: Li Y, et al. (1994). [Effect of excessive fluoride intake on mental work capacity of children and a preliminary study of its mechanism] Hua Hsi I Ko Ta Hsueh Hsueh Pao. 25(2):188-91.

“The results reported here indicate that fluoride has a specific effect on the synthesis of proteins in the brain which may lead to degenerative changes in the form of ballooning degeneration of neurons, various degrees of loss of nisal substance, and changes in the purkinje cells of the cerebellar cortex. Such changes would provide a plausible explanation for some of the diverse neruological complaints in arms and legs such as numbness, muscle spasms and pains, tenaniform convulsions, and spastic paraplegia, encountered in patients with skeletal fluorosis."
SOURCE: Shashi A, et al. (1994). Effect of long-term administration of fluoride on levels of protein, free amino acids and RNA in rabbit brain. Fluoride 27: 155-159.

“The neurotoxic effect of fluoride on lipid content of brain was assessed in rabbits during experimental fluorosis... Fluoride exerts an inhibitory effect on the free fatty acids in brain of both sexes. The relevance of these results in experimental fluorosis is discussed.”
SOURCE: Shashi A. (1992). Studies on alterations in brain lipid metabolism following experimental fluorosis. Fluoride 25:77-84.

Anti Federalist
08-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Bump for the CA fluoride story

puppetmaster
08-20-2010, 12:00 AM
good luck watsonville!

oyarde
08-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Why would anyone buy something to be ingested from China?

libertarian4321
08-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Why would anyone buy something to be ingested from China?

Don't look now, but much of the food you buy at the grocery store is probably from China. Even the "fresh" fruits and vegetables are often from China.

Noob
08-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Another reason to ban all products from China, as well ban all flouride in water.

oyarde
08-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Don't look now, but much of the food you buy at the grocery store is probably from China. Even the "fresh" fruits and vegetables are often from China.

No , I always specifically check where things are from.Shrimp , fruit.We have a local grocery that all the imported fruit is from South America.I find that more trustworthy.The only exception I make is the generic apple juice at the Dollar Store.It states the apples could come from one of about ten countries , China being one.I drink it anyway

libertarian4321
08-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Since 2007, most of the sodium fluoride has been imported from China because it's the least expensive on the market.

I should point out that most large water utilities don't use sodium fluoride (powder). If you live in a reasonably large town, your utility probably doesn't use sodium fluoride.

It's the "original" source of fluoride for water fluoridation, but most large utilities don't use it anymore, and haven't for many years.

Most now use fluorosilicic acid (liquid) because it's considerably cheaper.

oyarde
08-20-2010, 06:36 PM
I am not a health not.I would be leery of giving anything from China to company , kids etc. , as for myself , meh...

Mike4Freedom
08-20-2010, 06:40 PM
WTF, I mean, really, WTF...we have to import our poison from China???!!!

Chinese Fluoride In Mass. Water Raises Concern

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/investigative/22814488/detail.html

Team 5 Investigates After Amesbury Pulls Sodium Fluoride From Water Supply

AMESBURY, Mass. --

Fluoride is added to the water most of us drink because the government believes it's a safe and inexpensive way to prevent tooth decay.
(Awesome opening line - AF)

However, Team 5 Investigates found the Amesbury Water Department pulled fluoride from its system amid concerns about its supply from China.

Department of Public Works Director Rob Desmarais said after he mixes the white powder with water, 40 percent of it will not dissolve.

"I don't know what it is," Desmarais said. "It's not soluble, and it doesn't appear to be sodium fluoride. So we are not quite sure what it is."

Desmarais said the residue clogs his machines and makes it difficult to get a consistent level of fluoride in the town's water.

Since April the fluoride pumps in Amesbury have been turned off and they will stay that way until Desmarais can find out what's in the fluoride that's imported from China.

The Department of Public Health said it believes that more than 650,000 customers in 44 Massachusetts communities are getting the flouride in question and only Amesbury has temporarily stopped using it.

However, they were unable to say with certainty which of the other 43 communities are actually using the sodium fluoride from China in its water.

The fluoride from China is not used in communities getting water from the MWRA.

The New York company that supplies the fluoride said it is certified by the National Sanitation Foundation which assures the quality of the product.

Approximately 1,000 water systems in the United States use the additive to adjust the fluoride in their water supply, according to The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Testing continues to determine the precise composition of the residue.

"They should test it to make sure...it is safe for us to drink," said Paul Stewart who lives in Newburyport. He said he has a right to know exactly what's in his water.

"On the same day that I read the story about fluoride coming from China, I also read about stories about melamine that was being contaminated in milk products coming from China," Stewart said. "And then we had another story about more lead in kids toys from China."

"I don't think that when it comes to something that I ingest every day that the lowest bidder is good enough," Stewart said.

WTF! Are you kidding me? This is pure insanity. I think its time to buy my whole house water filtration system. I have been putting it off long enough.

Why the fuck would you import flouride?!!! Thats like importing garbage from china and paying the chinese for garbage. This is so ass backwards.

libertarian4321
08-20-2010, 06:59 PM
No , I always specifically check where things are from.Shrimp , fruit.We have a local grocery that all the imported fruit is from South America.I find that more trustworthy.The only exception I make is the generic apple juice at the Dollar Store.It states the apples could come from one of about ten countries , China being one.I drink it anyway

You'd be amazed at how much of the "Product of the USA" food actually has foreign (often third world) sourced food in it. To label something as American, it only needs to have been PROCESSED AND PACKAGED in the USA- the actual food may have come from anywhere. So if a shipload of peas or wheat or apples or whatever comes to the USA in bulk, and is washed, sliced, processed and bagged in Seattle, it can say "Product of USA" when none of the stuff was actually grown here.

You see more and more items that actually say "Product of China," but far more Chinese grown food ends up in "Product of the USA" or "Produce of Canada" packages (it's not just China- a bag of "Product of the USA" mixed veggies could contain vegetables sourced from a dozen or more countries- Mexico, Vietnam, Brazil- who knows, some of it might have even been grown in the USA :).

And it's not just your local cheapo grocery brand that does it- big name brands do it too.

Even at "upscale" stores like Whole Foods you may well be getting foreign grown food.

dannno
08-20-2010, 07:08 PM
Another reason to ban all products from China, as well ban all flouride in water.

So you advocate using violence against two people who are engaged in a completely consensual transaction :confused:

Anti Federalist
08-20-2010, 07:11 PM
I should point out that most large water utilities don't use sodium fluoride (powder). If you live in a reasonably large town, your utility probably doesn't use sodium fluoride.

It's the "original" source of fluoride for water fluoridation, but most large utilities don't use it anymore, and haven't for many years.

Most now use fluorosilicic acid (liquid) because it's considerably cheaper.

Quite true, Amesbury is a small town, much more likely to use sodium flouride powder in sack form, probably.

Fluorosilicic acid, a nice little waste by-product of phosphate fertilizer production.

My emergency response guide lists it as a number 154 - "TOXIC" with ingestion causing severe injury or death.

MSDS for fluorosilicic acid 10.9%

http://www.chemifloc.ie/msds/MSDS_Fluorosilicic_Acid.pdf

Anti Federalist
08-20-2010, 07:14 PM
So you advocate using violence against two people who are engaged in a completely consensual transaction :confused:

It is not a consensual trade agreement.

I cannot trade with Chinese citizens, or, can not, if I follow the rules.

Andrew-Austin
08-20-2010, 07:22 PM
lol a libertarian conspirators worst nightmare, not just fluoride but FOREIGN fluoride being put in Americans water supply.

phill4paul
08-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Gee how simple is this one?

If you want flouride then buy a flouride dispenser.

I'm sure a company could accommodate this one.

Anti Federalist
08-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Gee how simple is this one?

If you want flouride then buy a flouride dispenser.

I'm sure a company could accommodate this one.

Toothpastes, mouth rinses, additives can give you all the fluoride you want, if you so desire.

Government should not be in the business of pumping medicines or poisons or, in this case, god knows what, into the water supply.

VBRonPaulFan
08-20-2010, 10:43 PM

http://www.vitamins-nutrition.org/vitamins/fluoride.html

Fluoride is absorbed in the stomach and small intestine. Once in the blood stream it rapidly enters mineralized tissue (bones and developing teeth). At usual intake levels, fluoride does not accumulate in soft tissue. The predominant mineral elements in bone are crystals of calcium and phosphate, known as hydroxyapatite crystals. Fluoride's high chemical reactivity and small radius allow it to either displace the larger hydroxyl (-OH) ion in the hydroxyapatite crystal, forming fluoroapatite, or to increase crystal density by entering spaces within the hydroxyapatite crystal. Fluoroapatite hardens tooth enamel and stabilizes bone mineral.

http://www.greenfacts.org/en/fluoride/fluorides-2/03-fluoride-exposure.htm#5

When fluorides are ingested by humans or laboratory animals, they are absorbed in the stomach and/or the intestine. Fluoride from soluble fluorides is almost completely absorbed (either as HF or F-, depending on stomach acidity). However, when fluoride is bound to aluminium, calcium etc., its release and subsequent absorption may be reduced because this combination is less soluble. When fluorides in gaseous or particulate form are breathed in, the respiratory tract, they are partially or completely absorbed depending on how soluble they are or on how big the fluoride-containing particles are.

Fluoride is then rapidly distributed in tissues. In humans and laboratory animals, fluorides mostly build up in bones and teeth, which retain about 99% of the total fluoride body burden.

Fluoride is eliminated from the body primarily through the urine. Infants retain 80 to 90% of fluoride ingested, while adults retain approximately 60%.

However, the balance of fluoride in the body (i.e. the difference between the amount of fluoride ingested and the amount excreted) can be positive or negative. This physiological balance is determined by earlier fluoride exposure, the degree of accumulation in bone, the rate at which it is released from bone and the efficiency of the kidneys in excreting fluoride. When fluoride intakes are low excretion through urine can exceed intake.

Anti Federalist
10-22-2010, 07:28 PM
///

HOLLYWOOD
10-22-2010, 07:32 PM
http://www.vitamins-nutrition.org/vitamins/fluoride.html (http://www.vitamins-nutrition.org/vitamins/fluoride.html)

http://www.greenfacts.org/en/fluoride/fluorides-2/03-fluoride-exposure.htm#5 (http://www.greenfacts.org/en/fluoride/fluorides-2/03-fluoride-exposure.htm#5)

Yea, but... Arthritis has skyrocketed in the US. Flouride?

phill4paul
10-22-2010, 07:33 PM
///

Why do you keep harping on this?:cool:

Anti Federalist
10-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Why do you keep harping on this?:cool:

Cuz' I've got another bee in my bonnet over Chinese "Free Trade".

phill4paul
10-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Cuz' I've got another bee in my bonnet over Chinese "Free Trade".:cool: and bump.

Bern
10-22-2010, 08:42 PM
How can this thread be 7 months old and 7 pages long on the subject of communist flouridation of the US water supply and not contain the following reference is completely blowing my mind!

YouTube - General Ripper: Precious Bodily Fluids (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4XhhTF7vRM)

Carson
10-22-2010, 08:43 PM
I was thinking fluoride was a byproduct of some process we;

OOh gees.

It was the manufacturing of aluminum that I was thinking of, and why would we need to import it?.

Google search offers up a few more sources for the stuff.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fluoride+was+a+byproduct

Dr.3D
10-22-2010, 08:52 PM
I have always wondered what all of this fluoride is doing to the water after it leaves the sewage disposal plants. What does it do to the fish and other marine animals? Are the concentrations in the lakes growing to the point where it will cause environmental damage?

Anti Federalist
12-28-2010, 08:19 PM
bump

libertarian4321
12-29-2010, 02:14 AM

Literally rat poison. No seriously. Go get a bottle of rat poison, the main ingredient is likely sodium fluoride.

Just because something is the major ingredient (first ingredient listed is the largest by percentage) in a compound, doesn't mean it is the main actor.

Take any insecticide or insect repellent. The active ingredient (the stuff that does the killing) is a TINY percentage of the volume of the chemical- almost always less than 3%, and often only a tiny fraction of a percent. Most of the ingredients are there as dilutants, fillers, to improve flow, etc.

So just because you found some rat poison with sodium fluoride listed first (the "main ingredient") does not mean its the chemical that does the killing.

Anti Federalist
01-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Since it's in the news, time to revisit this classic on fluoridation from Rothbard in 1993.

Fluoridation Revisited

by Murray N. Rothbard

http://www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard85.html

This essay originally appeared in the January 1993 issue of The Rothbard-Rockwell Report.

Yes, I confess: I'm a veteran anti-fluoridationist, thereby – not for the first time – risking placing myself in the camp of "right-wing kooks and fanatics." It has always been a bit of mystery to me why left-environmentalists, who shriek in horror at a bit of Alar on apples, who cry "cancer" even more absurdly than the boy cried "Wolf," who hate every chemical additive known to man, still cast their benign approval upon fluoride, a highly toxic and probably carcinogenic substance. And not only let fluoride emissions off the hook, but endorse uncritically the massive and continuing dumping of fluoride into the nation's water supply.

First: the generalized case for and against fluoridation of water. The case for is almost incredibly thin, boiling down to the alleged fact of substantial reductions in dental cavities in kids aged 5 to 9. Period. There are no claimed benefits for anyone older than nine! For this the entire adult population of a fluoridated area must be subjected to mass medication!

The case against, even apart from the specific evils of fluoride, is powerful and overwhelming.

(1) Compulsory mass medication is medically evil, as well as socialistic. It is starkly clear that one key to any medication is control of the dose; different people, at different stages of risk, need individual dosages tailored to their needs. And yet with water compulsorily fluoridated, the dose applies to everyone, and is necessarily proportionate to the amount of water one drinks.

What is the medical justification for a guy who drinks ten glasses of water a day receiving ten times the fluorine dose of a guy who drinks only one glass? The whole process is monstrous as well as idiotic.

(2) Adults, in fact children over nine, get no benefits from their compulsory medication, yet they imbibe fluorides proportionately to their water intake.

(3) Studies have shown that while kids 5 to 9 may have their cavities reduced by fluoridation, said kids ages 9 to 12 have more cavities, so that after 12 the cavity benefits disappear. So that, at best, the question boils down to: are we to subject ourselves to the possible dangers of fluoridation solely to save dentists the irritation of dealing with squirming kids aged 5 to 9?

(4) Any parents who want to give their kids the dubious benefits of fluoridation can do so individually: by giving their kids fluoride pills, with doses regulated instead of haphazardly proportionate to the kids' thirst; and/or, as we all know, they can brush their teeth with fluoride-added toothpaste. How about freedom of individual choice?

(5) Let us not omit the long-suffering taxpayer, who has to pay for the hundreds of thousands of tons of fluorides poured into the nation's socialized water supply every year. The days of private water companies, once flourishing in the U.S., are long gone, although the market, in recent years, has popped up in the form of increasingly popular private bottled water even though far more expensive than socialized free water.

Nothing loony or kooky about any of these arguments, is there? So much for the general case pro and con fluoridation. When we get to the specific ills of fluoridation, the case against becomes even more overpowering, as well as grisly.

During the 1940s and 50s, when the successful push for fluoridation was underway, the pro-forces touted the controlled experiment of Newburgh and Kingston, two neighboring small cities in upstate New York, with much the same demographics. Newburgh had been fluoridated and Kingston had not, and the powerful pro-fluoridation Establishment trumpeted the fact that ten years later, dental cavities in kids 5 to 9 in Newburgh were considerably lower than in Kingston (originally, the rates of every disease had been about the same in the two places). OK, but the antis raised the disquieting fact that, after ten years, both the cancer and the heart disease rates were now significantly higher in Newburgh. How did the Establishment treat this criticism? By dismissing it as irrelevant, as kooky scare tactics. Oh?

Why were these and later problems and charges ignored and overridden, and why the rush to judgment to inflict fluoridation on America? Who was behind this drive, and how did the opponents acquire the "right-wing kook" image?

THE DRIVE FOR FLUORIDATION

The official drive began abruptly just before the end of World War II, pushed by the U.S. Public Health Service, then in the Treasury Department. In 1945, the federal government selected two Michigan cities to conduct an official "15-year" study; one city, Grand Rapids, was fluoridated, a control city was left unfluoridated. (I am indebted to a recent revisionist article on fluoridation by the medical writer Joel Griffiths, in the left-wing muckraking journal Covert Action Information Bulletin: "Fluoride: Commie Plot or Capitalist Ploy?" [Fall 1992], pp. 26–28, 63–66.) Yet, before five years were up, the government killed its own "scientific study," by fluoridating the water in the second city in Michigan. Why? Under the excuse that its action was caused by "popular demand" for fluoridation; as we shall see, the "popular demand" was generated by the government and the Establishment itself. Indeed, as early as 1946, under the federal campaign, six American cities fluoridated their water, and 87 more joined the bandwagon by 1950.

A key figure in the successful drive for fluoridation was Oscar R. Ewing, who was appointed by President Truman in 1947 as head of the Federal Security Agency, which encompassed the Public Health Service (PHS), and which later blossomed into our beloved Cabinet office of Health, Education, and Welfare. One reason for the left's backing of fluoridation – in addition to its being socialized medicine and mass medication, for them a good in itself – was that Ewing was a certified Truman Fair Dealer and leftist, and avowed proponent of socialized medicine, a high official in the then-powerful Americans for Democratic Action, the nation's central organization of "anti-Communist liberals" (read: Social Democrats or Mensheviks). Ewing mobilized not only the respectable left but also the Establishment Center. The powerful drive for compulsory fluoridation was spearheaded by the PHS, which soon mobilized the nation's establishment organizations of dentists and physicians.

The mobilization, the national clamor for fluoridation, and the stamping of opponents with the right-wing kook image, was all generated by the public relations man hired by Oscar Ewing to direct the drive. For Ewing hired none other than Edward L. Bernays, the man with the dubious honor of being called the "father of public relations." Bernays, the nephew of Sigmund Freud, was called "The Original Spin Doctor" in an admiring article in the Washington Post on the occasion of the old manipulator's 100th birthday in late 1991. The fact that right-wing groups such as the John Birch Society correctly called fluoridation "creeping socialism" and blamed Soviet Communism as the source of the fluoridation campaign (no, not Bolsheviks, guys: but a Menshevik-State Capitalist alliance, see below) was used by the Bernaysians to discredit all the opposition.

As a retrospective scientific article pointed out about the fluoridation movement, one of its widely distributed dossiers listed opponents of fluoridation "in alphabetical order reputable scientists, convicted felons, food faddists, scientific organizations, and the Ku Klux Klan." (Bette Hileman, "Fluoridation of Water," Chemical and Engineering News 66 [August 1, 1988], p. 37; quoted in Griffiths, p. 63) In his 1928 book Propaganda, Bernays laid bare the devices he would use: Speaking of the "mechanism which controls the public mind," which people like himself could manipulate, Bernays added that "Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country...our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of..." And the process of manipulating leaders of groups, "either with or without their conscious cooperation," will "automatically influence" the members of such groups.

In describing his practices as PR man for Beech-Nut Bacon, Bernays tells how he would suggest to physicians to say publicly that "it is wholesome to eat bacon." For, Bernays added, he "knows as a mathematical certainty that large numbers of persons will follow the advice of their doctors because he (the PR man) understands the psychological relationship of dependence of men on their physicians." (Edward L. Bernays, Propaganda [New York: Liveright, 1928], pp. 9, 18, 49, 53. Quoted in Griffiths, p.63) Add "dentists" to the equation, and substitute "fluoride" for "bacon," and we have the essence of the Bernays propaganda campaign.

Before the Bernays campaign, fluoride was largely known in the public mind as the chief ingredient of bug and rat poison; after the campaign, it was widely hailed as a safe provider of healthy teeth and gleaming smiles.

After the 1950s, it was all mopping up – the fluoridation forces had triumphed, and two-thirds of the nation's reservoirs were fluoridated. There are still benighted areas of the country left however (California is less than 16 percent fluoridated) and the goal of the federal government and its PHS remains as "universal fluoridation."

DOUBTS CUMULATE

Despite the blitzkrieg victory, however, doubts have surfaced and gathered in the scientific community. Fluoride is a non-biodegradable substance, which, in people, accumulates in teeth and bone – perhaps strengthening kiddies' teeth; but what about human bones? Two crucial bone problems of fluorides – brittleness and cancer – began to appear in studies, only to be systematically blocked by governmental agencies. As early as 1956, a federal study found nearly twice as many premalignant bone defects in young males in Newbergh as in unfluoridated Kingston; but this finding was quickly dismissed as "spurious."

Oddly enough, despite the 1956 study and carcinogenic evidence popping up since the 1940s, the federal government never conducted its own beloved animal carcinogenicity test on fluorides. Finally, in 1975, biochemist John Yiamouyiannis and Dean Berk, a retired official of the federal government's own National Cancer Institute (NCI), presented a paper before the annual meeting of the American Society of Biological Chemists. The paper reported a 5 to 10 percent increase in total cancer rates in those U.S. cities which had fluoridated their water. The findings were disputed, but triggered congressional hearings two years later, where the government revealed to shocked Congressmen that it had never tested fluoride for cancer. Congress ordered the NCI to conduct such tests.

Talk about foot-dragging! Incredibly, it took the NCI twelve years to finish its tests, finding "equivocal evidence" that fluoride caused bone cancer in male rats. Under further direction of Congress, the NCI studied cancer trends in the U.S., and found nationwide evidence of "a rising rate of bone and joint cancer at all ages," especially in youth, in counties that had fluoridated their water, but no such rise was seen in "non-fluoridated" counties.

In more detailed studies, for areas of Washington state and Iowa, NCI found that from the 1970s to the 1980s bone cancer for males under 20 had increased by 70 percent in the fluoridated areas of these states, but had decreased by 4 percent in the non-fluoridated areas. Sounds pretty conclusive to me, but the NCI set some fancy statisticians to work on the data, to conclude that these findings, too, were "spurious." Dispute over this report drove the federal government to one of its favorite ploys in virtually every area: the allegedly expert, bipartisan, "value-free" commission.

The government had already done the commission bit in 1983, when disturbing studies on fluoridation drove our old friend the PHS to form a commission of "world-class experts" to review safety data on fluorides in water. Interestingly, the panel found to its grave concern that most of the alleged evidence of fluoride's safety scarcely existed. The 1983 panel recommended caution on fluoride exposure for children. Interestingly, the panel strongly recommended that the fluoride content of drinking water be no greater than two parts per million for children up to nine, because of worries about the fluoride effect on children's skeletons, and potential heart damage.

The chairman of the panel, Jay R. Shapiro of the National Institute of Health, warned the members, however, that the PHS might "modify" the findings, since "the report deals with sensitive political issues." Sure enough, when Surgeon General Everett Koop released the official report a month later, the federal government had thrown out the panel's most important conclusions and recommendations, without consulting the panel. Indeed, the panel never received copies of the final, doctored, version. The government's alterations were all in a pro-fluoride direction, claiming that there was no "scientific documentation" of any problems at fluoride levels below 8 parts per million.

In addition to the bone cancer studies for the late 1980s, evidence is piling up that fluorides lead to bone fractures. In the past two years, no less than eight epidemiological studies have indicated the fluoridation has increased the rate of bone fractures in males and females of all ages. Indeed, since 1957, the bone fracture rate among male youth has increased sharply in the United States, and the U.S. hip fracture rate is now the highest in the world. In fact, a study in the traditionally pro-fluoride Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), August 12, 1992, found that even "low levels of fluoride may increase the risk of hip fracture in the elderly." JAMA concluded that "it is now appropriate to revisit the issue of water fluoridation."

Clearly, it was high time for another federal commission. During 1990–91, a new commission, chaired by veteran PHS official and long-time pro-fluoridationist Frank E. Young, predictably concluded that "no evidence" was found associating fluoride and cancer. On bone fractures, the commission blandly stated that "further studies are required." But no further studies or soul-searching were needed for its conclusion: "The U.S. Public Health Service should continue to support optimal fluoridation of drinking water." Presumably, they did not conclude that "optimal" meant zero.

Despite the Young whitewash, doubts are piling up even within the federal government. James Huff, a director of the U.S. National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, concluded in 1992 that animals in the government's study developed cancer, especially bone cancer from being given fluoride – and there was nothing "equivocal" about his conclusion.

Various scientists for the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) have turned to anti-fluoridation toxicologist William Marcus's warning that fluoride causes not just cancer, but also bone fractures, arthritis, and other disease. Marcus mentions, too, that an unreleased study by the New Jersey Health Department (a state where only 15 percent of the population is fluoridated) shows that the bone cancer rate among young males is no less than six times higher in fluoridated than in non-fluoridated areas.

Even coming into question is the long-sacred idea that fluoridated water at least lowers cavities in children five to nine. Various top pro-fluoridationists highly touted for their expertise were suddenly and bitterly condemned when further study led them to the conclusion that the dental benefits are really negligible. New Zealand's most prominent pro-fluoridationist was the country's top dental officer, Dr. John Colquhoun.

As chairman of the Fluoridation Promotion Committee, Colquhoun decided to gather statistics to show doubters the great merits of fluoridation. To his shock, he found that the percentage of children free of dental decay was higher in the non-fluoridated part than in the fluoridated part of New Zealand. The national health department refused to allow Colquhoun to publish these findings, and kicked him out as dental director. Similarly, a top pro-fluoridationist in British Columbia, Canada, Richard G. Foulkes, concluded that fluoridation is not only dangerous, but that it is not even effective in reducing tooth decay. Foulkes was denounced by former colleagues as a propagandist "promoting the quackery of anti-fluoridationists."

WHY THE FLUORIDATION DRIVE?

Since the case for compulsory fluoridation is so flimsy, and the case against so overwhelming, the final step is to ask: why? Why did the Public Health Service get involved in the first place? How did this thing get started? Here we must keep our eye on the pivotal role of Oscar R. Ewing, for Ewing was far more than just a social democrat Fair Dealer.

Fluoride has long been recognized as one of the most toxic elements found in the earth's crust. Fluorides are by-products of many industrial processes, being emitted in the air and water, and probably the major source of this by-product is the aluminum industry. By the 1920s and 1930s, fluorine was increasingly being subject to lawsuits and regulations. In particular, by 1938 the important, relatively new aluminum industry was being placed on a wartime footing. What to do if its major by-product is a dangerous poison?

The time had come for damage control; even better, to reverse the public image of this menacing substance. The Public Health Service, remember was under the jurisdiction of the Treasury Department, and treasury secretary all during the 1920s and until 1931 was none other than billionaire Andrew J. Mellon, founder and head of the powerful Mellon interests, "Mr. Pittsburgh," and founder and virtual ruler of the Aluminum Corporation of America (ALCOA), the dominant firm in the aluminum industry.

In 1931, the PHS sent a dentist named H. Trendley Dean to the West to study the effects of concentrations of naturally fluoridated water on people's teeth. Dean found that towns high in natural fluoride seemed to have fewer cavities. This news galvanized various Mellon scientists into action. In particular, the Mellon Institute, ALCOA's research lab in Pittsburgh, sponsored a study in which biochemist Gerald J. Cox fluoridated some lab rats, decided that cavities in those rats had been reduced and immediately concluded that "the case (that fluoride reduces cavities) should be regarded as proved." Instant science!

The following year, 1939, Cox, the ALCOA scientist working for a company beset by fluoride damage claims, made the first public proposal for mandatory fluoridation of water. Cox proceeded to stump the country urging fluoridation. Meanwhile, other ALCOA-funded scientists trumpeted the alleged safety of fluorides, in particular the Kettering Laboratory of the University of Cincinnati.

During World War II, damage claims for fluoride emissions piled up as expected, in proportion to the great expansion of aluminum production during the war. But attention from these claims was diverted, when, just before the end of the war, the PHS began to push hard for compulsory fluoridation of water. Thus the drive for compulsory fluoridation of water accomplished two goals in one shot: it transformed the image of fluorine from a curse to a blessing that will strengthen every kid's teeth, and it provided a steady and substantial monetary demand for fluorides to dump annually into the nation's water.

One interesting footnote to this story is that whereas fluorine in naturally fluoridated water comes in the form of calcium fluoride, the substance dumped into every locality is instead sodium fluoride. The Establishment defense that "fluoride is fluoride" becomes unconvincing when we consider two points: (a) calcium is notoriously good for bones and teeth, so the anti-cavity effect in naturally fluoridated water might well be due to the calcium and not the fluorine; and (b) sodium fluoride happens to be the major by-product of the manufacture of aluminum.

Which brings us to Oscar R. Ewing. Ewing arrived in Washington in 1946, shortly after the initial PHS push began, arriving there as long-time counsel, now chief counsel, for ALCOA, making what was then an astronomical legal fee of $750,000 a year (something like $7,000,000 a year in present dollars). A year later, Ewing took charge of the Federal Security Agency, which included the PHS, and waged the successful national drive for water fluoridation. After a few years, having succeeded in his campaign, Ewing stepped down from public service, and returned to private life, including his chief counselship of the Aluminum Corporation of America.

There is an instructive lesson in this little saga, a lesson how and why the Welfare State came to America. It came as an alliance of three major forces: ideological social democrats, ambitious technocratic bureaucrats, and Big Businessmen seeking privileges from the State. In the fluoridation saga, we might call the whole process "ALCOA-socialism." The Welfare State redounds to the welfare not of most of society but of these particular venal and exploitative groups.

Anti Federalist
06-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Lithium in the water bump

Anti Federalist
08-19-2011, 12:49 AM
Pottstown bump

Bordillo
08-19-2011, 02:54 AM
I plan on going to my local water board

Diurdi
08-19-2011, 03:10 AM
Just a comparison, in the US the recommended level is 0.7-1.2 mg/L

In Finland they don't add fluoride, and the natural level is around 0.1mg/L in Helsinki.

If you think you're getting too much fluoride try to swallow less toothpaste :P

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-19-2011, 06:45 AM

And mercury can help children pay attention in school.

Also, when fluoride came to my town, people actually DEMANDED it, saying it's not fair for the children, because they aren't getting that fluoride to help their teeth. People demanding to be poisoned! I'm just glad it's only 1 mg/l or whatever, compared to the 1.3-1.5 mg/l in some towns in New Jersey. This is the same state that makes vaccinations mandatory for your children to attend school, and if you children don't attend school, the state will take your kids away, catch 22. Just attending college without taking 4 new shots was like pushing a boulder up a mountain, but I managed to get away with it, scum bags.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/02/assembly_committee_clears_bill.html

Three top officials for the New Jersey Dental Association strongly urged the committee to support the bill for the good of all children and even adults.

Anti Federalist
05-15-2013, 11:50 AM
////

dillo
05-15-2013, 12:08 PM
flouride destroys metal, better go drink a cup

angelatc
05-15-2013, 12:43 PM
I'm getting another article ready for posting that states the DPW foreman had been unable to get accurate readings of the amount of flouride that was pumped into the system.

More than 4 mg/l in water renders it UNFIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION according to EPA.

Fluoride. Many communities add fluoride to their drinking water to promote dental health. Each community makes its own decision about whether or not to add fluoride. EPA has set an enforceable drinking water standard for fluoride of 4 mg/L (some people who drink water containing fluoride in excess of this level over many years could get bone disease, including pain and tenderness of the bones). EPA has also set a secondary fluoride standard of 2 mg/L to protect against dental fluorosis. Dental fluorosis, in its moderate or severe forms, may result in a brown staining and/or pitting of the permanent teeth. This problem occurs only in developing teeth, before they erupt from the gums. Children under nine should not drink water that has more than 2 mg/L of fluoride.

When I lived in Texas, the level of fluoride in the ground water was so high you could tell the poor kids from the rich kids by the color of their teeth. Rich kids had Moms that cooked and drank bottled water, so their teeth weren't mottled brown. Kids that had to depend on well water in the house....well, they had really bad teeth.

Anti Federalist
05-18-2019, 12:55 AM
blimp

Swordsmyth
05-18-2019, 01:33 AM
blimp
China has been waging a stealth war against us with their products.

Anti Federalist
09-24-2019, 01:54 PM
China has been waging a stealth war against us with their products.

Yes they have.

Swordsmyth
09-24-2019, 02:48 PM
Yes they have.
And it's not just their products:

China is linking up with US Gun control groups, and trying to help them push gun control on our citizens on the basis of it being a human rights issue (https://americanmilitarynews.com/2019/09/chinese-groups-debate-supporting-us-gun-ban-activists-says-report/)

Brian4Liberty
09-25-2019, 01:09 PM
And it's not just their products:

China is linking up with US Gun control groups, and trying to help them push gun control on our citizens on the basis of it being a human rights issue (https://americanmilitarynews.com/2019/09/chinese-groups-debate-supporting-us-gun-ban-activists-says-report/)

Of course. The role model of the modern day “Democratic Socialists” and the left establishment. Totalitarian control, crony kleptocracy at the top. And when they take control, the “democrat” part will be dropped. No vote or representation for the mundanes.

Anti Federalist
04-09-2020, 08:05 AM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/3orifga8SY27pT51kY/giphy.gif