PDA

View Full Version : Libertarians & the Tea Party

SmackontheWeb
03-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Where do the Libertarian's stand on the Tea Party?

torchbearer
03-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Where do the Libertarian's stand on the Tea Party?

which libertarian?

Rancher
03-12-2010, 06:44 PM
I like tea.

dr. hfn
03-12-2010, 07:07 PM
the Libertarian Party should be making every effort to pull the Tea Parties in their direction.

johnrocks
03-12-2010, 07:10 PM
They started them I would say with RP's Presidential run but they have since been tainted with commercialization and the same old neo/social cons that infiltrated the GOP years ago.

SmackontheWeb
03-12-2010, 07:25 PM
They started them I would say with RP's Presidential run but they have since been tainted with commercialization and the same old neo/social cons that infiltrated the GOP years ago.

I say GOP & corporate interests plagiarized the tea party theme from the Ron Paul revolution campaign because of it's financial success and created the tea party to exploit and profit from it.

Every election I have participated in since I registered to vote in '79, I have voted Republican. I simply cannot do it again but I do not support the Democrat's polilcies. The Republicans have become everything they used to stand against. They have prostituted the party just to gain the popular support the tea party brings and have degenerated into nothing more than obstructionists.

Does the Libertarian Party have an official 'stance' on the Tea Party? Because if the election was held today and my only choice was a Democrat, Republican or teabagger, the Democrat would get my vote and I'd really rather not do that.

Inflation
03-12-2010, 07:28 PM
The Tea Party is a flock of scared sheep; libertarians are their shepherds.

johnrocks
03-12-2010, 07:37 PM
I say GOP & corporate interests plagiarized the tea party theme from the Ron Paul revolution campaign because of it's financial success and created the tea party to exploit and profit from it.

Every election I have participated in since I registered to vote in '79, I have voted Republican. I simply cannot do it again but I do not support the Democrat's polilcies. The Republicans have become everything they used to stand against. They have prostituted the party just to gain the popular support the tea party brings and have degenerated into nothing more than obstructionists.

Does the Libertarian Party have an official 'stance' on the Tea Party? Because if the election was held today and my only choice was a Democrat, Republican or teabagger, the Democrat would get my vote and I'd really rather not do that.

We registered the same year, I registered "R" on my 18th birthday;5-18-79;)

SmackontheWeb
03-13-2010, 10:40 AM
which libertarian?

Ugh... We're all doomed

torchbearer
03-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Ugh... We're all doomed

not sure how many libertarians you know, but if you had 4 libertarians in a room- they'd have 5 different opinions.

Cowlesy
03-13-2010, 11:13 AM
not sure how many libertarians you know, but if you had 4 libertarians in a room- they'd have 5 different opinions.

truth

amy31416
03-13-2010, 11:18 AM
I read an article the other day (I'll post it if I can find it again) about how the libertarians in the tea party are pushing away a lot of the religious conservatives who are moving away from neoconservative viewpoints.

I find that unsurprising and entirely unfortunate, given what an opportunity it is to have them as allies. How difficult is it to not disrespect people who are religious? If they are promoting warfare, why not discuss the Christian Just War theory, Jesus as the prince of peace, or simply the Constitution?

Part of the reason that neoconservatism gained such ground is that the secular neocons were able to cynically use many of the sentiments of Christians to slowly ease them away from true conservatism.

Just something to think about.

low preference guy
03-13-2010, 11:55 AM
I read an article the other day (I'll post it if I can find it again) about how the libertarians in the tea party are pushing away a lot of the religious conservatives who are moving away from neoconservative viewpoints.

I find that unsurprising and entirely unfortunate, given what an opportunity it is to have them as allies. How difficult is it to not disrespect people who are religious? If they are promoting warfare, why not discuss the Christian Just War theory, Jesus as the prince of peace, or simply the Constitution?

Part of the reason that neoconservatism gained such ground is that the secular neocons were able to cynically use many of the sentiments of Christians to slowly ease them away from true conservatism.

Just something to think about.

I think the social conservatives don't like the tea parties because they want to emphasize social issues such as abortion and opposition to gay marriage. But the GOP already offers that platform, so I'll be happy if they don't corrupt the tea parties. If the Tea Party emphasizes divisive social issues, it is going nowhere.

I don't think it's about not respecting their religion. Regular tea parties don't even talk about religion in the rallies. They talk about fiscal issues.