PDA

View Full Version : Tax soda, pizza to cut obesity, researchers say

disorderlyvision
03-12-2010, 04:07 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6275T720100308

(Reuters) - U.S. researchers estimate that an 18 percent tax on pizza and soda can push down U.S. adults' calorie intake enough to lower their average weight by 5 pounds (2 kg) per year.:mad:

Chester Copperpot
03-12-2010, 04:09 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6275T720100308
:mad:

I say lets tax ALL the politicians personally the more they spend public money.. that ought to make public spending go way down too...:D

dannno
03-12-2010, 04:11 PM
What about cheeseless vegan pizza with veggies?

Andrew Ryan
03-12-2010, 04:21 PM

What the hell is wrong with you?

Kotin
03-12-2010, 04:23 PM

I dont think thats pizza...:p

Fox McCloud
03-12-2010, 04:24 PM
this'll destroy quite a few jobs in the pizza and soda industry....oh boy, even more unemployment.

either way, I'd like to know how they arrived at these numbers and how they estimate, for sure, it'd make the average adult 5 lbs lighter.

In any event, I think the obesity problem is a sign of a good thing; that is, to say, that Americans have so much access to cheap food, eating too much is a problem, where as not having enough to eat is not a problem.

I hate how they routinely state that it costs us X amount of dollars each year though; that's just further incentive, in my eyes, to cut the welfare state and socialization of medicine down, and not an excuse to clamp down on personal behavior.

Sadly, all socialized medicine forces the government into this corner; costs skyrocket since the government will pay for every little procedure under the sun, so it will respond by regulating personal behavior as a way to cut costs.

Bruno
03-12-2010, 04:25 PM
why don't we just weigh each American and tax them based upon the percentage of body fat they are carrying? An annual weigh-in and Fat-tax should do it. :rolleyes:

pcosmar
03-12-2010, 04:25 PM
What if I don't NEED my weight lowered?

I am 52 yrs
5'8" and 140.
I am kind of thin. And I like soda and pizza. as well as real butter, bread, meat and potatoes.
I am not over weight. Why should I be taxed.

Dunedain
03-12-2010, 04:26 PM
We can't allow the government to legislate what we SHOULD do. They will be should-ing all over us otherwise. Then they'll start MUSTerbating on us for everything. Before you know it, it will be

- illegal to drive when angry
- illegal to use naughty words
- illegal to paint your mailbox red (distracts drivers you know)
- illegal to yell at people (unless you can prove good intention).

What we'll eventually get is a terrorist/nanny state that has the right to spank us if we don't do what they think is "best" for "us".

Bruno
03-12-2010, 04:26 PM

I am 52 yrs
5'8" and 140.
I am kind of thin. And I like soda and pizza. as well as real butter, bread and potatoes.

Because you have to pay for the others that can't control themselves, silly! :rolleyes:

Dunedain
03-12-2010, 04:27 PM
not that this matters but who decreed pizza to be unhealthy? What's wrong with tomatoe sauce, dough, cheese and veggie/meat toppings?

LibertarianfromGermany
03-12-2010, 04:28 PM

I am 52 yrs
5'8" and 140.
I am kind of thin. And I like soda and pizza. as well as real butter, bread, meat and potatoes.

Who cares, central planning ftw!

Bruno
03-12-2010, 04:30 PM
not that this matters but who decreed pizza to be unhealthy? What's wrong with tomatoe sauce, dough, cheese and veggie/meat toppings?

pizza is just the start. stay tuned for further idiotic food- tax proposals.

pcosmar
03-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Seems the only thing that will lose weight is your wallet.

Warrior_of_Freedom
03-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Seems the only thing that will lose weight is your wallet.
and the government coffers will gain a ton

Sarge
03-12-2010, 04:45 PM
So this is the Friday night hot thread,

MUSTerbating and spanking and Andrew dressed short a whip and feathers in his high heal boots.

It musterbate the Martini I am drinking that is making me so hot.

Bring it on gang. I love feather whippings. I promise I will loose 10 lbs before it is over.

Ok, sorry, I could not resist.

pcosmar
03-12-2010, 04:54 PM
So this is the Friday night hot thread,

MUSTerbating and spanking and Andrew dressed short a whip and feathers in his high heal boots.

It musterbate the Martini I am drinking that is making me so hot.

Bring it on gang. I love feather whippings. I promise I will loose 10 lbs before it is over.

Ok, sorry, I could not resist.

I was munching on leftover Walmart pizza when this thread started.

Dunedain
03-12-2010, 04:56 PM

I'm sure our nanny-state will hand out tax credits for MUSTterbating. Reduces the population AND burns calories.

dannno
03-12-2010, 05:08 PM
What the hell is wrong with you?

Actually nothing. I'm quite healthy :p

I eat pizza with cheese on it usually, but there is a pizza place that has vegan cheese in my town that is pretty damn good.. and cheeseless pizza is pretty good too.

Do you have allergies? A lot of mucus? If so, cutting out the cheese and the dairy will help quite a bit.

dannno
03-12-2010, 05:12 PM
I dont think thats pizza...:p

:rolleyes:

Cheeseless pizza:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2035/2505758865_4a311d8947.jpg

http://www.cookstr.com/photos/recipes/8452/medium/recipe-8452.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/jamboxrock/food/3-21-09Reno2.jpg

http://nimis540.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/cheeseless-pizza.jpg

http://www.pjchmiel.com/photo/food/pizza-mutiny.jpg

Yum.

DjLoTi
03-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Yeah, lets tax one of the biggest sources of food for college students. That will really fix our budget crises. Jeez when will Washington wake up? Lets end these wars and wall-street bailouts. Let the college kids have their pizza =/

MelissaWV
03-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Cheeseless pizza... sounds an awful lot like bruschetta.

KCIndy
03-12-2010, 06:06 PM
I say lets tax ALL the politicians personally the more they spend public money.. that ought to make public spending go way down too...:D

I like this idea!

I would certainly vote for it.

:cool:

dannno
03-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Cheeseless pizza... sounds an awful lot like bruschetta.

Bruschetta is delicious, but it usually only has tomatoes and basil and olive oil.. take a look at the pizzas on page 2, they are nothing like bruschetta.

pcosmar
03-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Oh oo
Honey made Meatloaf for dinner. Beef and Pork with lots of cracker crumbs to soak up the fats.
Corn and taters with real butter.

Mmmm! :):p

MelissaWV
03-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Bruschetta is delicious, but it usually only has tomatoes and basil and olive oil.. take a look at the pizzas on page 2, they are nothing like bruschetta.

Actually, they often have peppers, olives, and any number of other things. Admittedly, they normally don't have lettuce or mushrooms :p but they are certainly more than "tomatoes and basil and olive oil."

MelissaWV
03-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Oh oo
Honey made Meatloaf for dinner. Beef and Pork with lots of cracker crumbs to soak up the fats.
Corn and taters with real butter.

Mmmm! :):p

Asopao de camarones con tostones y pan fresco here :) *

*Shrimp soup with rice and red bell pepper in it, served with tostones (fried green plantains mushed together with garlic and bits of bacon), and fresh bread.

BuddyRey
03-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Why do policy wonks and "experts" insist on proposing taxation as a catch-all panacea for every damn problem under and including the sun?!?!

catdd
03-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Boy, these guys must be burning the midnight oils figuring out new and improved ways to squeeze a little more out of us.
Like rats looking for cheese.