PDA

View Full Version : The mind-reading machine: 'Psychic' computer invented

disorderlyvision
03-12-2010, 03:19 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1257174/Psychic-invented-tell-youre-thinking.html

A computer program that can read your mind has been developed by British scientists.

In tests, it was able to access and interpret memories by scanning the brain patterns of volunteers.

The computer had a high success rate in telling which of three short films the subjects were thinking about.

Eleanor Maguire, of the University College London research team, said the work meant we were 'approaching the realm of mind-reading'.

The seven-second film clips showed women going about daily tasks, such as posting a letter. Then, while their brains were scanned, the volunteers were asked to think about what they had seen.

The brain lit up differently for each film, allowing the researchers to create a program that homed in on the patterns. The volunteers were then asked to think about the clips again and the 'psychic' computer worked out which one they had in mind.

The machine recorded a 45 per cent success rate - significantly higher than would have been expected through chance alone, the journal Current Biology reports.

Professor Maguire said: 'In our previous experiment, we were looking at basic memories, at someone's location.

'What is more interesting is to look at episodic memories - the complex, everyday memories that include much more information on where we are, what we are doing and how we feel.'

Lead researcher Martin Chadwick said: 'It suggests that our memories are recorded in a regular pattern.'

The study, which was funded by the Wellcome Trust, focused on the hippocampus, a small area of the brain that plays a key role in memory, navigation and imagining the future.

Unravelling the workings of memory raises the prospect of developing infallible lie detector tests.

The interpretation of intentions could even allow police to arrest criminals before they break the law, as seen in the 2002 Tom Cruise film, Minority Report.

The research could also shed light on the memory loss seen in Alzheimer's disease, stroke and other conditions.

Professor Maguire's earlier work compared the brains of London taxi drivers with those of bus drivers.

Scans showed an area of the hippocampus to be bigger in the cabbies, suggesting their brains grow to cope with their detailed knowledge of London's streets.

Original_Intent
03-12-2010, 03:42 PM
So not only are the conspiracy theorists turning out to be correct, so are the tin-foil hat crowd.

Aratus
03-13-2010, 01:16 PM
the machine flunks mr. turing's test, i see...?

Warrior_of_Freedom
03-13-2010, 02:45 PM
seems pretty lousy to me, all they have to do is recognize the brain patterns depending on the subject they are thinking about, hardly a mind-reader if you ask me

RedStripe
03-13-2010, 02:48 PM
seems pretty lousy to me, all they have to do is recognize the brain patterns depending on the subject they are thinking about, hardly a mind-reader if you ask me

Exactly.

"The brain lit up differently for each film, allowing the researchers to create a program that homed in on the patterns."

Ooohhh so scary. :rolleyes:

Fox McCloud
03-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Exactly.

"The brain lit up differently for each film, allowing the researchers to create a program that homed in on the patterns."

Ooohhh so scary. :rolleyes:

my thoughts exactly...not only that, but it only had a 45% success rate...so it failed more often than it succeeded.

We know so little about the brain and thoughts and memory storage that it's far too early to be touting a machine that can "read thoughts"; the debate hasn't even been settled if the brain is the seat of thoughts, consciousness, and memory, or if it's memory the vehicle that allows it.

MelissaWV
03-13-2010, 03:32 PM
The article seems a little vague, or maybe I'm misreading something.

Perhaps the computer is making certain assumptions about the volunteer which helps it determine which movie the volunteer is thinking of? I mean seriously... the woman mailing her letter, for instance, is wearing tight jeans. That might fire off a certain part of the brain in a lot of guys, no? It seems more likely that the "psychic computer" was able to register what kinds of thoughts the people were having as they recalled their short film, from which the computer could guess which one it was.

It really couldn't be used to "stop crime" any more than polygraphs can. You still need to be hooked up and give the computer information (scans). If you want to sit everyone down for these scans, and see what kinds of thoughts they're having, it's not going to be very effective, and basically you could get around it by thinking of sex (not that difficult) every time they scan you. lol

Anti Federalist
03-13-2010, 03:35 PM
You're all whistling past the graveyard, calmly dismissing this.

The day is fast approaching when your minds will be read and scanned on a regular basis.

Scoff at your own peril.

MelissaWV
03-13-2010, 03:40 PM
You're all whistling past the graveyard, calmly dismissing this.

The day is fast approaching when your minds will be read and scanned on a regular basis.

Scoff at your own peril.

I'm scoffing at this particular article. It's stupid. It's no more than what's already available, and requires that one submit to the brain scanning (it's not a "walk-through" scan or anything along those lines). You can already do this and more with a polygraph and a good set of questions. A success rate of 45% with the variables limited to three options (versus all the potential thoughts a human being could be having at any given time) is not impressive to me. It's contrived.

Of course, what's not scoffable is the fact that what we see released to the public is usually lightyears behind what's being worked on by some agency or another. I have no doubt there are far more accurate machines than this already around.

I don't take kindly to the notion of being scanned, but if they do, they're not going to find anything they can decipher. My brain is a damned mess.

Anti Federalist
03-13-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't take kindly to the notion of being scanned, but if they do, they're not going to find anything they can decipher. My brain is a damned mess.

Then it's off to re-education for you.

Sedition is the absence of happy cheery government approved thoughts.

CCTelander
03-13-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm scoffing at this particular article. It's stupid. It's no more than what's already available, and requires that one submit to the brain scanning (it's not a "walk-through" scan or anything along those lines). You can already do this and more with a polygraph and a good set of questions. A success rate of 45% with the variables limited to three options (versus all the potential thoughts a human being could be having at any given time) is not impressive to me. It's contrived.

Of course, what's not scoffable is the fact that what we see released to the public is usually lightyears behind what's being worked on by some agency or another. I have no doubt there are far more accurate machines than this already around.

You mean something like this?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=229105

Here's the report linked to from the blog posting:

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=117337&sectionid=3510203

Not strictly "mind reading" perhaps, but scary enough IMO.

literatim
03-13-2010, 04:00 PM
YouTube - Psych extended intro season 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=futZ-J3FcBY)

MelissaWV
03-13-2010, 04:28 PM
You mean something like this?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=229105

Here's the report linked to from the blog posting:

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=117337&sectionid=3510203

Not strictly "mind reading" perhaps, but scary enough IMO.

I'm not afraid of statistics. I'm afraid of the people who interpret the data.

Flashing up an image and seeing if people have a "guilty reaction" is old news. Again, this is nothing more than an extension of the polygraph test. None of these things are particularly foolproof, though, and their publicity makes it possible to "teach to the test." In other words, it's not going to "catch" most terrorists, but it will "catch" whoever the powers that be would like to catch.

It eventually places you into the situation one is in if they're declared insane. Protesting, and screaming that you're really sane, is going to convince people you really are out of your mind. Not saying you're sane means you admit you're crazy.

Anti Federalist
03-13-2010, 04:50 PM
It eventually places you into the situation one is in if they're declared insane. Protesting, and screaming that you're really sane, is going to convince people you really are out of your mind. Not saying you're sane means you admit you're crazy.

Foresooth, I believe my head hath exploded.

:D