PDA

View Full Version : Local Vets begin to respond

ronpaulhawaii
03-12-2010, 04:11 AM
http://www.kokeshforcongress.com/posts/letter-new-mexico-veteran

The following letter is from Tim Dunlap of Farmington, NM:

Personally speaking as a two-time war veteran of both the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, I fully support Mr. Kokesh in his endeavor to become a representative in the United States Congress from the state of New Mexico. He has been serving the people of the United States for as long as I have known him. Mr. Kokesh represents New Mexico values. He has what it takes to become one of the best representatives for this state, and he will bend over backwards to assist the people with key issues. The courage and motivation that drives Mr. Kokesh is inscrutably unique.

I am from Farmington, New Mexico. I was born here, and lived here my whole life, except for the time I spent serving our country. During these times I was stationed in Ft. Hood Texas with the 4th Infantry Division, 1/66 Armor. This is who I deployed to Iraq with in 2003. After my service there, I went to Ft. Drum, New York where I served with the 10th Mountain Division on a reconnaissance unit, 3/71 CAV (RSTA). I deployed to Afghanistan with this unit in 2006. One of my good friends in this unit who sacrificed the ultimate price won the Medal of Honor. His name was SFC Jared Monti. During this same firefight I was injured in Gowardesh, Afghanistan, and ended up spending almost three months in a hospital, and another year in physical therapy.

This is when I met Mr. Kokesh. Dealing with overcrowding, patient rights, post-traumatic stress disorder, and the other problems that returning injured solders were facing were significant. Mr. Kokesh had come up and assisted me with some of these issues. It was great to see someone reaching out to help when most were either too busy or just seemed not to care. I have had the pleasure of knowing some outstanding citizens of this country and am proud to say that Mr. Kokesh is one of them.

The values of a state represent the people. These values include integrity, perseverance, and dedication. Mr. Kokesh represents these values and will represent them for the state of New Mexico. He will represent the values of New Mexico for all the people fairly and justifiably. To serve in this sense takes a representative of courage and honor, and I know exactly what it means to serve with courage and honor. This courage and honor that Mr. Kokesh displays is exactly the dedication that it will take to represent the people and veterans of New Mexico.

I knew Mr. Kokesh when I was in the military and he showed exemplified service. Mr. Kokesh served with honor, loyalty, and the many values that this state is in need of. I know exactly what it means to speak out, and he has the voice and knowledge to do just that. Mr. Kokesh will listen to the voice of the people and the veterans, and fight for what is right. Whether it is standing up for the opinions of the people, or stepping up to President Obama, if it needs to be done, he will do it.

This kind of incomparable service that Mr. Kokesh will represent for our state and the people within our state makes veterans like me proud. He will stand up for us veterans with the most sagacious representation and will make the people of New Mexico very proud. Mr. Kokesh has what it takes to beat Mr. Luján in economic issues, health care, and standing up for constituents. Mr. Kokesh will actually make things happen, and speak out for the people. Speaking as a veteran, a citizen, and as a person who is constantly active within his community, I would like to see Mr. Kokesh representing myself, my district, and my state.

Travlyr
03-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Tim is a true American Patriot

TheState
03-12-2010, 08:15 AM
This needs to be made into a commercial.

Cowlesy
03-12-2010, 08:42 AM
Great letter!!!!

I hope Adam gets some time to speak to Veterans groups so that they understand where he is coming from, rather than reading hatred from MichMal.

Rancher
03-12-2010, 09:08 AM
The people that are attacking Adam are narrow minded and really don't even know him. Tim got to know Adam as the compassionate leader that he is.

kaleidoscope eyes
03-12-2010, 09:17 AM
This is a wonderful endorsement.

Lucille
03-12-2010, 10:04 AM
A wonderful letter! Adam's a good man; he really cares and he walks the walk. He must have been so touched.

Dude needs some cash though!

ronpaulhawaii
03-12-2010, 02:24 PM
#2...

Dear Fellow Republican,

My name is Harris Thornhill. I live in Clovis, New Mexico. If you are from around this way, I have probably fixed your vehicle a time or two. I'm just another dirty pair of hands attached to a tired body and a smiling face. I thank God for giving me the opportunity to earn my own way.

I proudly served my country as a United States Marine. 3rd squad 1st plt Fox Co 2nd Bn 4th Mar 92-94,JTF 160 94, 3rd squad 1st plt Fox Co 2nd Bn 6th Mar 94-95, 3rd squad 1st plt Fox Co BLT 2/6 26th MEU SOQ 95-96.

What you have been chosen to do is what many Americans dream of: being allowed to pick who gets on the ballot. It is a privilege with no equal. The rest of us make due with the choices placed in front of us at the ballot.

However, there are a large number of people who just don't vote. Not because they don't want to, but because they don't really have a choice other than more of the same thing. The most frustrating thing is hearing someone say, "I don't want to be involved because nothing will ever change." This is where you come in. Change belongs to the delegates.

There is no greater love for one’s country than to say “this is my life, I freely give it.” Adam Kokesh served our country in the United States Marine Corps. He was not drafted, he volunteered in a time of war.

Adam's time in Fallujah provides him with a perspective of our foreign policy that is not available to his opponent. As a veteran, I support his positions on war and foreign policy. I know Adam understands the needs of New Mexico's veterans and he has what it takes to bring them out to vote in force.

By now everyone knows that Adam has the courage to stand up for what he believes in. As our representative, he will be our voice. Adam has demonstrated that even when unpopular, his voice will be heard. More importantly, people will listen.

It is time to send a message to Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and Barack Obama. It is time to tell them we have had enough. It is time to tell them we want our country back. It is time to send in the Marine.

Sincerely,

Harris Thornhill

KCIndy
03-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Great letter!!!!

I hope Adam gets some time to speak to Veterans groups so that they understand where he is coming from, rather than reading hatred from MichMal.

100% agree!

If he can get the chance to do it, Adam really needs to hit the Veterans groups. To simply be labeled "anti-war" means many people, especially those on the right, are immediately going to envision a picture of a grubby, unwashed, flag burning hippie.

But the viewpoint turns around quickly if "anti-war" is redefined as:

1. The war was blatantly unconstitutional

2. The war was completely unnecessary

3. The troops were sent in under false (or at least grossly incompetent) pretenses or suppositions

4. The government often put troops in harms way without the proper equipment, backing and intel

5. When the troops were returned home, they were often provided with no post combat support in the areas of injuries both physical and mental

I didn't make that "hippie" comment lightly, nor do I mean it to offend. I made it because it has been my personal experience when talking to those on the hard right/neocon right that they DO draw an immediate conclusion, when hearing that someone is "anti-war," that the person MUST be some sort of "pinko/commie/liberal" and can therefore be dismissed. Also, there are an awful lot of Vets from the Vietnam Era who remember being attacked both verbally and physically by the "anti-war movement" when returning from southeast Asia.

A lot of the hardcore right wing types will usually start to swing around, or at least start seriously thinking, when you couch the argument in terms of the war being unconstitutional and the troops essentially being abandoned by the government that sent them.

We need to make sure we win the PR battle on this, and the easiest way to win an argument is to make sure the other party sees where his own interests lie.

tedjohn09
03-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Perfect letter.
Thanks for sharing with us.