PDA

View Full Version : Help polish my stump speech

GunnyFreedom
03-12-2010, 01:07 AM
Friends, citizens, and patriots of North Carolina --

I am here today, not as a politician -- for I have never been a politician, but as a citizen deeply concerned about our State and our Nation, and about the threat that our governments pose to the American way of life. President Gerald Ford said in 1974 that "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." As the productive class of Americans has fully come to learn, President Ford was telling the truth.

(0:30)

Today, we face a wide variety of threats from both our State and our Federal governments. At the Federal level, they want to force every citizen to pay some billionaire for expensive health insurance or face fines and penalties up to and including five years in prison. They want to hamstring our domestic efforts to become energy independent while they place a global warming tax on everything we do, based on flawed science and increasing our cost of living by some estimates up to 500%. At the State level, we learn that they want to abandon all teaching of US History prior to the year 1877, and runaway spending with little or no tangible results has placed North Carolina in debt to the point that we are forced to cut critical expenses in education to fund pet projects and pork in the State legislature.

(1:18)

All of these threats to the American way of life have one thing in common -- they are not authorized by our State or the US Constitution.

(1:25)

As a US Marine, I raised my hand and swore an oath to uphold and defend the US Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic, and as a passionate and dedicated Christian, I have taken my oath seriously enough that I will bear it true faith and allegiance until the day I die.

(1:45)

In the fulfillment of that oath, I have dedicated every day of my entire life for the last three years to doing the things that will work to restore the Constitutional order for North Carolina and for the United States. I adapted the Firearms Freedom Act for North Carolina, built public support, and won the bill a 2011 sponsor in David Lewis, which invokes the 10th Amendment to keep the Federal Government out of North Carolina's business. I authored a Healthcare Freedom Act calling on nullification to protect North Carolina citizens from a health care insurance mandate, which cause has now been taken up by Skip Stam in advance of the 2011 session of the General Assembly. I am even now in the process of drafting a North Carolina Energy Independence Act which will invoke 10th Amendment nullification to permit over-the-horizon offshore drilling and opt our State out of any Cap and Trade legislation. I will also be drafting a 10th Amendment State Sovereignty Act with teeth, that will give real enforcement power to the Governor of North Carolina to prevent the Federal subversion of our State legislative processes.

(2:47)

Here at home, it is critical that we protect our children's education through the expansion of school choice, and by giving our parents and teachers more of a say, and more of a stake in the process of our children's education. Our legislators must not merely attend every picnic and bake sale, but must go further and become attentive and responsive to the needs of the people whom they represent.

(3:10)

It is even more critical in today's economy to restore job growth to North Carolina. You do not grow jobs by taking the produce from productive companies and propping up those companies who are failing, you grow jobs by creating an environment in which small businesses prosper and grow. That means allowing the failing companies to fail, and removing the onerous taxation and regulatory burdens from our small businesses and allow them to use their resources for hiring and growth, and only that will get North Carolina back to work again.

(3:42)

Finally, in 2010 we have the strongest opportunity that we have ever had in North Carolina history to give our citizens and the electorate a real voice in our government. The State Assembly that we elect this year will be redrawing the voting districts for the next decade, and your Republican State Assembly will finally end the practice of gerrymandering that shuts our citizens out of the process. And using the untapped power of the Internet, I personally pledge to you today to develop and implement a district-wide web interface that will give the people of this district more of a voice and feedback on our impact on State government than We The People have ever had before.

(4:20)

Ladies and gentlemen, for our entire lives we have tried the lesser of two evils, and now it is time to go for the greater good. A vote for Glen Bradley in November is a vote to restore the Constitutional order, and I stand before you tonight to humbly ask for your support, and for your vote in 2010.

(4:40)

low preference guy
03-12-2010, 01:36 AM
in the last part, you use the phrase "the greater good". for some reason it reminds me of mccain campaign's to vote for something "greater than self-interest", which in his mind is bombing and killing defenseless muslin women and children.

i would replace the greater good. i don't know the right word. something like good candidate.

the literal meaning of the greater good is a good meaning. unfortunately is been tarnished by how collectivists use it. now that i thought about it that way, maybe you should keep it so the word can regain its literal meaning... just like if we use didn't let "liberal" (someone who stands for liberty) be taken from us, we would probably be in a better place.

dannno
03-12-2010, 01:38 AM
help polish my stump

Dude, seriously :rolleyes:

GunnyFreedom
03-12-2010, 01:38 AM
Very good. Good luck.

Thanks!

I still need to come up with a 30sec stump, a 2 min stump, and a 10 min stump. The 5min stump here is just about there I think.

GunnyFreedom
03-12-2010, 01:40 AM

LMAO -- yeah OK, I didn't go there until you posted this. Sorry, that's just not the way I think LOL

GunnyFreedom
03-12-2010, 01:42 AM
in the last part, you use the phrase "the greater good". for some reason it reminds me of mccain campaign's to vote for something "greater than self-interest", which in his mind is bombing and killing defenseless muslin women and children.

i would replace the greater good. i don't know the right word. something like good candidate.

the literal meaning of the greater good is a good meaning. unfortunately is been tarnished by how collectivists use it. now that i thought about it that way, maybe you should keep it so the word can regain its literal meaning... just like if we use didn't let "liberal" (someone who stands for liberty) take that word from us, we would probably be in a better place.

Well, I picked that phrase because it will lead into a Ron Paul campaign for 2012. The "motto" of my RP efforts in this area will be "We've tried the lesser of two evils, now it's time for the greater good: Ron Paul 2012" and I'm hoping to plant a seed or two in my district to cultivate for a 2012 Ron Paul campaign... ;-)

That way win or lose (and I plan on winning, by the way) the campaign will still accomplish important things for our movement.

low preference guy
03-12-2010, 01:43 AM
^ sounds good. now i think it's better to use that word because you use it in the good sense, not the collectivist sense in which is often used.

fuzzybekool
03-12-2010, 01:45 AM
Very good. Good Luck

squarepusher
03-12-2010, 01:51 AM
*polishes stump*

dannno
03-12-2010, 01:57 AM
Suggestions in red

I am here today, not as a politician -- for I have never been a politician, but as a citizen deeply concerned about our State and our Nation, and about the threat that our governments pose to the American way of life. President Gerald Ford said in 1974 that "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." As the productive class of Americans has fully come to learn, President Ford was telling the truth.

Today, we face a wide variety of threats from both our State and our Federal governments. At the Federal level, some of our politicians want to force every citizen to pay some billionaire executives for expensive health insurance or face fines and penalties up to and including five years in prison. They want to hamstring our domestic efforts to become energy independent while they place a global warming tax on everything we do, based on flawed science and increasing our cost of living by some estimates up to 500%. At the State level, we learn that they want to abandon all teaching of US History prior to the year 1877, and runaway spending with little or no tangible results has placed North Carolina in debt to the point that we are forced to cut critical expenses in education to fund pet projects and pork in the State legislature.

All of these threats to the American way of life have one thing in common -- they are not authorized by our State or the US Constitution.

As a US Marine, I raised my hand and swore an oath to uphold and defend the US Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic, and as a passionate and dedicated Christian, I have taken my oath seriously enough that I will bear it true faith and allegiance until the day I die.

In the fulfillment of that oath, I have dedicated every day of my entire life for the last three years to doing the things that will work to restore the Constitutional order for North Carolina and for the United States. I adapted the Firearms Freedom Act for North Carolina, built public support, and won the bill a 2011 sponsor in David Lewis, which invokes the 10th Amendment to keep the Federal Government out of North Carolina's business. I authored a Healthcare Freedom Act calling on nullification to protect North Carolina citizens from a health care insurance mandate, which cause has now been taken up by Skip Stam in advance of the 2011 session of the General Assembly. I am even now in the process of drafting a North Carolina Energy Independence Act which will invoke 10th Amendment nullification to permit over-the-horizon offshore drilling and opt our State out of any Cap and Trade legislation. I will also be drafting a 10th Amendment State Sovereignty Act with teeth, that will give real enforcement power to the Governor of North Carolina to prevent the Federal subversion of our State legislative processes.

Here at home, it is critical that we protect our children's education through the expansion of school choice, and by giving our parents and teachers more of a say, and more of a stake in the process of our children's education. Our legislators must not merely attend every picnic and bake sale, but must go further and become attentive and responsive to the needs of the people whom they represent.

It is even more critical in today's economy to restore job growth to North Carolina. You do not grow jobs by taking the profits from productive companies and propping up those companies who are failing. You grow jobs by creating a positive environment in which small businesses prosper and grow, and the best part is that creating this environment doesn't cost the tax payers a penny. It just means allowing the failing companies to fail, and removing the onerous taxation and regulatory burdens from our small businesses and allow them to use their resources for hiring and growth, and allow the failing companies to fail in order to free up capital for the more productive ones. This will get North Carolina back to work again.

Finally, in 2010 we have the strongest opportunity that we have ever had in North Carolina history to give our citizens and the electorate a real voice in our government. The State Assembly that we elect this year will be redrawing the voting districts for the next decade, and your Republican State Assembly will finally end the practice of gerrymandering that shuts our citizens out of the process. And using the untapped power of the Internet, I personally pledge to you today to develop and implement a district-wide web interface that will give the people of this district more of a voice and feedback on our impact on State government than We The People have ever had before.

Ladies and gentlemen, for our entire lives we have tried the lesser of two evils, and now it is time to go for the greater good. A vote for Glen Bradley in November is a vote to restore the Constitutional order, and I stand before you tonight to humbly ask for your support, and for your vote in 2010.

GunnyFreedom
03-12-2010, 02:12 AM
Suggestions in red

Outstanding suggestions! Thanks! Seems they will clarify and resonate better indeed.

teacherone
03-12-2010, 02:37 AM
i would film the speech and view it a number of times to practice delivery and ensure the flow of the piece.

you could post it here-- would help to have people critique the delivery-- everyone hears their own voice whilst reading text... would be good to hear yours!

DirtMcGirt
03-12-2010, 03:52 AM

I am here today, not as a politician -- for I have never been a politician, but as a citizen deeply concerned about our (Great) State and our (adjective)Nation, and about the threat that our governments pose to the American way of life is real. President Gerald Ford said in 1974 that "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." As the hard working, pull yourself up from your bootstraps class of Americans has fully come to learn, President Ford was telling the truth.

Today, we face a wide variety of threats from both our State and our Federal governments. At the Federal level, they want to force every citizen to pay some billionaire(need to clarify) for expensive health insurance or face fines and penalties up to and including five years in prison. TheyThis out of control gov't wants to hamstring our (manufacturing sectors as well as) domestic efforts to become energy independent while they place a global warming tax on (every breath we take)everything we do, based on flawed science and (which the "Heritage Foundation" cite source)increasing our cost of living by some estimates up to 500%. At the State level, we learn that they want to abandon all teaching of US History prior to the year 1877, (which I believe as well as many of you to be some of the most important years of our great nation) runaway spending (here in the Tar Heel state)with little or no tangible results has placed North Carolina in debt to the point that we are forced to cut critical expenses in education to fund pet projects and pork in the State legislature.

All of these threats to the American way of life have one thing in common -- they are not authorized by our State or the US Constitution. (consider mentioning something about the rule of law)

In the fulfillment of that oath, I have dedicated every day of my(don't need entire) life over the last three years to doing the things that will work to restore the Constitutional order(rule oflaw) for North Carolina and for the United States. I (with the help of fellow patriots)adapted the Firearms Freedom Act for North Carolina, built public support, and won the bill a 2011 sponsor in David Lewis, which invokes the 10th Amendment to keep the Federal Government out of North Carolina's business. I authored a Healthcare Freedom Act calling on nullification to protect North Carolina citizens from a health care insurance mandate, which cause has now been taken up by Skip Stam in advance of the 2011 session of the General Assembly. My latest project now in the process of drafting a North Carolina Energy Independence Act which will invoke 10th Amendment nullification to permit over-the-horizon offshore drilling. This would opt our State out of any Cap and Trade legislation. I will also be drafting a 10th Amendment State Sovereignty Act with teeth, that will give real enforcement power to the Governor of North Carolina to prevent the Federal subversion of our State legislative processes.

It is even more critical in today's economy to restore job growth to North Carolina. You do not grow jobs by taking the produce from productive companies and propping up those companies who are failing, you grow jobs by creating an environment in which small businesses prosper and grow. That means(getting the failing companies out of the way opening the door for ) allowing the failing companies to fail, and removing the onerous taxation and regulatory burdens from our small businesses and allow them to use their resources for hiring and growth, and only that will get North Carolina back to work again.

Finally, in 2010 we have the strongest opportunity that we have ever had in North Carolina history to give our citizens and the electorate a real voice in our government. The tar heel state is beginning to wake up and The State Assembly that we elect this year will be redrawing the voting districts for the next decade, and your Republican State Assembly will finally end the practice of gerrymandering that shuts our citizens out of the process. And using the untapped power of the Internet, I personally pledge to you today to develop and implement a district-wide web interface that will give the people of this district more of a voice and feedback on our impact on State government than We The People have ever had before.

Damn good speech Gunny!!!

Original_Intent
03-12-2010, 07:28 AM
Polish my stump

I'll second what Dannno said. :rolleyes:

Matt Collins
03-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Misleading thread title of the year!

fisharmor
03-12-2010, 08:24 AM

Today, we face a wide variety of threats from both our State and our Federal governments. At the Federal level, they want to force every citizen to pay some billionaire for expensive health insurance or face fines and penalties up to and including five years in prison. I think when reading this you ought to emphasize the prison time.They want to hamstring our domestic efforts to become energy independent while they place a global warming tax on everything we do, based on flawed science and increasing our cost of living by some estimates up to 500%. The preceding sentence doesn't flow. Consider rearranging so that the flawed science claim is at the end. "This is what they're doing, and by the way, it's even based on crap" vs. what you have which is more "This one thing, and it's all based on crap, and this other thing." I'd also go with a more basic negative term, like "bad science" or "junk science". Nothing wrong with a little demagoguery where appropriate.At the State level, we learn that they want to abandon all teaching of US History prior to the year 1877, and runaway spending with little or no tangible results has placed North Carolina in debt to the point that we are forced to cut critical expenses in education to fund pet projects and pork in the State legislature.

Red flag here. I'm sure the liturgicals are outnumbered by the pietists in your district, but you might want to rethink this. It seems like you are associating dying for your country with Christianity. I know that's probably not what you meant but that's the gut reaction I had. If you think this will get you more votes than it'll cost, then go ahead - I understand that's not necessarily where you're coming from but fellow liturgicals might not be so understanding.

It is even more critical in today's economy to restore job growth to North Carolina. You do not grow jobs by taking the produce from productive companies and propping up those companies who are failing, you grow jobs by creating an environment in which small businesses prosper and grow. That means allowing the failing companies to fail, and removing the onerous taxation and regulatory burdens from our small businesses and allow them to use their resources for hiring and growth, and only that will get North Carolina back to work again.

For domestic policy: what are you doing to expand gun rights within NC? I was down there a couple weeks ago and ran into some fellow gunnies, and from what they tell me it sounded like VA is better off... regardless, there's always room for improvement.
http://www.opencarry.org/maps.html

Oh, and ditto... You ought to change the title of the thread, man.

Elwar
03-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Need more of these:
*hold for applause*

:D

Elwar
03-12-2010, 09:14 AM

I am here today, not as a politician -- for I have never been a politician, but as a citizen deeply concerned about our State and our Nation, and about the threat that our governments pose to the American way of life. President Gerald Ford said in 1974 that "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." As the productive class of (many) Americans has (have) fully come to learn, President Ford was telling the truth.
(I'd avoid mentioning class...it brings out the whole "class warfare" thing and an us/vs them that you don't need in this speech.)

Today, we face a wide variety of threats from both our State and our Federal governments. At the Federal level, they want to force every citizen to pay some billionaire for expensive health insurance or face fines and penalties up to and including five years in prison. They want to hamstring our domestic efforts to become energy independent while they place a global warming tax on everything we do, based on flawed science (contentious and divisive, your economic point is detracted because of it) and increasing our cost of living by some estimates up to 500%. At the State level, we learn that they want to abandon all teaching of US History prior to the year 1877, (this line seems kinda out of place with the rest of the sentence) and runaway spending with little or no tangible results has placed North Carolina in debt to the point that we are forced to cut critical expenses in education to fund pet projects and pork in the State legislature.

In the fulfillment of that oath, I have dedicated every day of my entire life for the last three years to doing the things that will work to restore the Constitutional order for North Carolina and for the United States. I adapted the Firearms Freedom Act for North Carolina, built public support, and won the bill a 2011 sponsor in David Lewis, which invokes the 10th Amendment to keep the Federal Government out of North Carolina's business. I authored a Healthcare Freedom Act calling on nullification to protect North Carolina citizens from a health care insurance mandate, which cause has now been taken up by Skip Stam in advance of the 2011 session of the General Assembly. I am even now in the process of drafting a North Carolina Energy Independence Act which will invoke 10th Amendment nullification to permit over-the-horizon offshore drilling and opt our State out of any Cap and Trade legislation. I will also be drafting a 10th Amendment State Sovereignty Act with teeth, that will give real enforcement power to the Governor of North Carolina to prevent the Federal subversion of our State legislative processes. (I'd address these more as specific platform points as opposed to telling what you're going to draft..."We need to invoke 10th Amendment nullification..." "We need to impose state sovereignty giving real enforcement power..." perhaps somewhere else in the speech)

Here at home, it is critical that we protect our children's education through the expansion of school choice, and by giving our parents and teachers more of a say, and more of a stake in the process of our children's education. Our legislators must not merely attend every picnic and bake sale, but must go further and become attentive and responsive to the needs of the people whom they represent. (You might want to drop a line here in support of teachers...always a good idea when talking about education)

It is even more critical in today's economy to restore job growth to North Carolina. You do not grow jobs by taking the produce from productive companies and propping up those companies who are failing, you grow jobs by creating an environment in which small businesses prosper and grow. That means allowing the failing companies to fail, and removing the onerous taxation and regulatory burdens from our small businesses and allow them to use their resources for hiring and growth, and only that will get North Carolina back to work again. (You might want to be a bit more vague, highlighting job growth and less tax/regulation but not talk about failing companies)

Finally, in 2010 we have the strongest opportunity that we have ever had in North Carolina history to give our citizens and the electorate a real voice in our government. The State Assembly that we elect this year will be redrawing the voting districts for the next decade, and your Republican State Assembly will finally end the practice of gerrymandering that shuts our citizens out of the process. And using the untapped power of the Internet, I personally pledge to you today to develop and implement a district-wide web interface that will give the people of this district more of a voice and feedback on our impact on State government than We The People have ever had before. (this is cool for internet geeks but you might want to change the wording a bit for the older folks to say something more like "I will dedicate my office to giving a voice and providing feedback to the people of my district in a user friendly manner..." without scaring them about the all powerful Internet)

Live_Free_Or_Die
03-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Misleading thread title of the year!

Most ironic post of the year :D

johngr
03-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Paragraph at 2:47 ending with "...people whom they represent":

Change to "people they represent". It sounds better metrically without and the grammatically optional relative object pronoun, though correct, sounds artificially erudite.

TruckinMike
03-12-2010, 02:17 PM
"We've tried the lesser of two evils, now it's time for the greater good: Ron Paul 2012"

Many Republicans as a result of their ignorance think that Ron Paul is liberal. For those folks,that phrase.
...for the greater good would be just the proof they needed to confirm their suspicions. --

We are dealing with with the conditioned masses. They are unable to think for themselves. Using a statement that all Marxist have ingrained on their foreheads would not be the best marketing "association" that we could come up with. --

In psychology and marketing, two concepts or stimuli are associated when the experience of one leads to the effects of another, due to repeated pairing. This is sometimes called Pavlovian association for Ivan Pavlov's pioneering of classical conditioning.

Association is a widely used memory tool. Associating a new item (an object, a picture, a smell or anything else a person may wish to recall) to another, more easily-remembered item can allow you to think of them both.

I think its very important to not associate Ron Paul with a well recognized communist/collectivist phrase. So how about something like this...

"Why vote for the lesser of two evils, vote for something GOOD: RonPaul 2012"

or

"Why vote for the lesser of two evils, when you have something GOOD: RonPaul 2012"

TMike:)

Pericles
03-12-2010, 02:47 PM
You might consider an even stronger statement to make it stick.

"To vote for the lesser of two evils is to vote for evil. Few of that generation of Germans remain who voted for the Nazi as the lesser evil than the Communists. The time is long overdue for the voters to have a representative that the citizens can trust to represent their views. I am that representative."

Anti Federalist
03-12-2010, 02:51 PM
President Gerald Ford said in 1974 that "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." As the productive class of Americans has fully come to learn, President Ford was telling the truth.

Wasn't it Goldwater that first said that?

johngr
03-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Many Republicans as a result of their ignorance think that Ron Paul is liberal. For those folks,that phrase. would be just the proof they needed to confirm their suspicions. --

Most Republicans themselves are liberal useful idiots.

GunnyFreedom
03-12-2010, 02:59 PM
back now -- awesome input from everybody! I'll be incorporating input and then recording a YouTube tonight (I have to tow my campaign truck back home first though -- engine went kaput)

GunnyFreedom
03-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Wasn't it Goldwater that first said that?

I thought that myself, but researching the quote seems to reveal that the quote is often misapplied to Goldwater but actually originated from Ford. When I learned that, I thought about changing my quote :D

Anti Federalist
03-12-2010, 03:15 PM
I thought that myself, but researching the quote seems to reveal that the quote is often misapplied to Goldwater but actually originated from Ford. When I learned that, I thought about changing my quote :D

No kidding, I'll be damned, learn something new every day.

Thanks Glen.:D

driege
03-12-2010, 04:13 PM
At the Federal level, they want to force every citizen to pay some billionaire for expensive health insurance or face fines and penalties up to and including five years in prison.

This sentence should read "At the Federal level, they want to force every citizen to pay billionaire executives for expensive health insurance or face fines and penalties up to and including five years in prison."

I removed the word "some" and added "executives".

TCE
03-12-2010, 04:30 PM

I am here today, not as a politician -- for I have never been a politician, but as a citizen deeply concerned about our State and our Nation, and about the threat that our governments pose to the American way of life. President Gerald Ford said in 1974 that "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." As the productive class of Americans has fully come to learn, President Ford was telling the truth. Why is attributing the quote to anyone necessary? It is like all famous quotes, true, but nobody cares who it was originally recited by.

Today, we face a wide variety of threats from both our State and our Federal governments. At the Federal level, they want to force every citizen to pay some billionaire for expensive health insurance or face fines and penalties up to and including five years in prison. They want to hamstring our domestic efforts to become energy independent while they place a global warming tax on everything we do, based on flawed science and increasing our cost of living by some estimates up to 500%. Keep in mind your district is largely Democratic and not incredibly Conservative. Don't alienate people from the get go, make it more vague. I recommend: "They want to destroy our small businesses by forcing them to pay a carbon tax during the greatest recession since The Great Depression." Something to that effect. At the State level, we learn that they want to abandon all teaching of US History prior to the year 1877 Who are "they?" Replace with "Bev Perdue and Lucy T. Allen want to engage in runaway spending with their pork barrel pet projects. And what do they do when they run out of money? Raise taxes, of course!, runaway spending with little or no tangible results has placed North Carolina in debt to the point that we are forced to cut critical expenses in education to fund pet projects and pork in the State legislature.

Ladies and gentlemen, for our entire lives we have tried the lesser of two evils, and now it is time to go for the greater good. A vote for Glen Bradley in November is a vote to restore the Constitutional order, and I stand before you tonight to humbly ask for your support, and for your vote in 2010. "And if you send me to Raleigh, I guarantee you that town will never be the same.

Edits in red.

TCE
03-12-2010, 04:33 PM
i would film the speech and view it a number of times to practice delivery and ensure the flow of the piece.

you could post it here-- would help to have people critique the delivery-- everyone hears their own voice whilst reading text... would be good to hear yours!

Agreed. And you can post it and we'll critique you. I'm pretty good at speech giving if I do say so myself (and my county thought so, too. :) )

VegasPatriot
03-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Great speech Gunny, I particularly like that you included the part about your oath. My humble suggestions:
The Ford quote is good but I am not sure it is an applause point. (Maybe don’t mention Ford till after the quote) I would suggest starting with a statement that will involve your audience right away. Say something that nearly everyone can cheer or agree with. Below are examples; the first video is LCDR (Ret) Ernest Guy Cunningham from Oath Keepers first Muster on Lexington Green April 19, 2009. LCDR Cunningham gives a “high octane” speech and starts his speech with what I consider a winner.

“I thank God that I was born an American.”

At about 1:40 of the Cunningham video he speaks about when he took his oath and I imagine you had similar feelings taking your first oath.

“When I took the oath of office, to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies foreign and domestic… I knew in my heart what I meant when I raised my hand and swore to it.” Great stuff.

YouTube - Oath Keepers Muster on Lexington Green 4/19/2009 8 of 10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiLHZ7cux3A)
In this next video, Lieutenant Colonel Allen West starts by referring to inspirational music that was playing earlier and talks about patriots of the past and how it started with them. Then he throws out a challenge.

“It starts right here, it starts right now with each one of you that are gathered here today.”

YouTube - Congressional Candidate Lieutenant Colonel Allen West (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP2p91dvm6M)
Good luck!

GunnyFreedom
03-12-2010, 10:10 PM
It's been a day of calamity on the homefront. Truck broke down last night, AAA's driver refused to tow because I have an empty toolbox fastened into the bed. Managed to tow it in with a tow strap, but once we got home found that a bad accident had taken power down for half the county; and learned tonight that my grandmother just died. :( I'll be recording it probably overnight or in the morning for review.

Matt Collins
03-12-2010, 10:19 PM
It's been a day of calamity on the homefront. Truck broke down last night, AAA's driver refused to tow because I have an empty toolbox fastened into the bed. Managed to tow it in with a tow strap, but once we got home found that a bad accident had taken power down for half the county; and learned tonight that my grandmother just died. :( I'll be recording it probably overnight or in the morning for review.
I'm so sorry to hear that. I wish I could help you out somehow! :(

jake
03-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Gunny, I am very sorry to hear about your Grandmother. I know how you feel as my Grandfather just recently passed away. only time will heal.

Anti Federalist
03-12-2010, 10:21 PM

Jesus...I feel for ya.

Hate it when all that shit comes down at once.

RIP Gunny's grandma.:(

GunnyFreedom
03-12-2010, 11:31 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that. I wish I could help you out somehow! :(

Gunny, I am very sorry to hear about your Grandmother. I know how you feel as my Grandfather just recently passed away. only time will heal.

Jesus...I feel for ya.

Hate it when all that shit comes down at once.

RIP Gunny's grandma.:(

Thanks guys; seems like calamity always besets in clusters, but we'll get through, we always have.

TCE
03-12-2010, 11:37 PM
I will add my condolences about your grandmother. :(

amy31416
03-12-2010, 11:39 PM
So sorry Gunny.

dannno
03-13-2010, 12:04 AM

Either:

a) I am so sorry, that's awful!!!

or

b) Best country song lyrics EVER!!!

Anti Federalist
03-13-2010, 12:26 AM
Either:

a) I am so sorry, that's awful!!!

or

b) Best country song lyrics EVER!!!

http://img.moronail.net/img/6/7/767.jpg

Anti Federalist
03-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Bradley bump

Legend1104
03-13-2010, 07:58 PM
You could always put something in there about getting everyone a free car and a twinkie. Make sure you have lots of twinkies.

osan
03-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Thanks!

I still need to come up with a 30sec stump, a 2 min stump, and a 10 min stump. The 5min stump here is just about there I think.

Agreed... a good speech. Direct and not bull-shitty sounding. I hope you're what you say you are. ;)

30 second elevator pitch? I'd center it on the concept of torpedoing the out of control federal government at the level of the states on 10th amendment grounds - not just in NC, but to start a nationwide movement to restore intelligent, clued-in, and vigorously active grassroots politics from sea to shining sea. This is the only way to avoid either the capitulation of the American people to insane tyranny or mass bloodshed in a material fight to preserve freedom.

FWIW, i cannot really agree with your bit on education. I would dismantle the public system completely, were I king. It is an unmitigated disaster. I am. however, cognizant of the fact that such a position would be political suicide, so I am not really sure what the next best position might be... I'd have to think on that awhile and it's midnight and I need my map.

Good luck.

osan
03-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Many Republicans as a result of their ignorance think that Ron Paul is liberal. For those folks,that phrase. would be just the proof they needed to confirm their suspicions. --

We are dealing with with the conditioned masses. They are unable to think for themselves. Using a statement that all Marxist have ingrained on their foreheads would not be the best marketing "association" that we could come up with. --

Excellent catch, and I agree fully. "greater good" is a really shitty expression and should be avoided like the plague.

osan
03-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by dannno

... polish my stump...

Oh shit... that made me laugh.

LMAO -- yeah OK, I didn't go there until you posted this. Sorry, that's just not the way I think LOL

Unfortunately HE does. Less fortunate still, so do I at times, though this one caught me completely off balance. Good thing I wasn't drinking or eating anything when I read it or it would be time for a new computer.

dannno
03-15-2010, 11:45 AM
^Well the thread title has since changed, when I made that comment the title was literally "Help polish my stump"

Pericles
03-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Best wishes, and sorry for your loss Marine.

GunnyFreedom
03-17-2010, 01:08 AM
Best wishes, and sorry for your loss Marine.

Thanks, the hits keep coming too. Cat been really sick 4 days now, stopped eating stopped drinking, don't think he will make it to Friday. Keep getting pulled away from videoing and memorizing this speech. Supposed to deliver it on Friday. Been 7 days of hell so far, looks like it's gonna stay hellish for the time being.

ETA y'know losing a pet always sucks, but on top of the week of hell this sucks exponential.

GunnyFreedom
03-19-2010, 09:31 AM
OK -- I have not had the time I wanted on this, I incorporated most of what everyone helped with; I still need to shave :30 sec off for the intro that a SgtMaj is giving me, and I have not updated the clocks on it yet, for TCE -- this particular speech is being delivered at a GOP Convention, so I don't have to worry about Dems at THIS particular event. Here is where I am at on the speech; again in text, I should have a video to upload tonight. I may have to use it as notes tonight, but this is my home territory so that will not be very damaging.

-------------------

I am here today, not as a politician -- but as a citizen deeply concerned about our State and our Nation, and about the threat that our governments pose to the American way of life. In 1974, the President that "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." As hard working Americans have fully come to learn, President Ford was telling the truth.

Today, we face a wide variety of threats from both our State and our Federal governments. At the Federal level, some of our politicians want to force every citizen to pay some billionaire executives for expensive health insurance or face fines and penalties up to and including five years in prison. They want to hamstring our domestic efforts to become energy independent while they place a global warming tax on every breath we take, increasing our cost of living by some estimates up to 500%, and all of it based on junk science. At the State level, we learn that they want to abandon all teaching of US History prior to the year 1877, and bev Perdue's and Lucy Allen's runaway spending here at home in the Tarheel State with little or no tangible results has placed us in debt to the point that we are forced to cut critical expenses in education to fund pet projects and pork in the State legislature.

All of these threats to the American way of life have one thing in common -- they are not authorized by our Constitution.

As a US Marine, I raised my hand and swore an oath to uphold and defend the US Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic, and as a passionate and dedicated Christian my immutable principles have led me to take my oath to the Constitution seriously enough, that I will bear it true faith and allegiance until the day I die.

In the fulfillment of that oath, I have dedicated every day of my life over the last three years to doing the things that will work to restore the Constitutional order and the rule of law for North Carolina and for the United States. I, with the help of fellow patriots like you, adapted the Firearms Freedom Act for North Carolina, built public support, and won the bill a 2011 sponsor in David Lewis, which invokes the 10th Amendment to keep the Federal Government out of North Carolina's business. I authored a Healthcare Freedom Act calling on nullification to protect North Carolina citizens from a health care insurance mandate, which cause has now been taken up by Skip Stam in advance of the 2011 session of the General Assembly. My latest project is drafting a North Carolina Energy Independence Act which will invoke 10th Amendment nullification to permit over-the-horizon offshore drilling. This would opt our State out of any Cap and Trade legislation. I will also be drafting a 10th Amendment State Sovereignty Act with teeth, that will give real enforcement power to the Governor of North Carolina to prevent the Federal subversion of our State legislative processes.

Here at home, it is critical that we protect our children's education through the expansion of school choice, and by giving our parents and teachers more of a say, and more of a stake in the process of our children's education. Our legislators must not merely attend every picnic and bake sale, but must go further and become attentive and responsive to the needs of the people they represent.

It is even more critical in today's economy to restore job growth to North Carolina. You do not grow jobs by taking the profits from productive companies and propping up those companies who are failing, you grow jobs by creating a positive environment in which small businesses prosper and grow, and the best part is that creating this environment doesn't cost the tax payers a penny. It just means removing the onerous taxation and regulatory burdens from our small businesses and allow them to use their resources for hiring and growth, and allow the failing companies to fail in order to free up capital for the more productive ones. This will get North Carolina back to work.

Ladies and gentlemen, for our entire lives we have tried the lesser of two evils, and now it is time to go for the greater good. A vote for Glen Bradley in November is a vote to restore the Constitutional order, and I stand before you tonight to humbly ask for your support, and for your vote in 2010. And when you send me to Raleigh, I guarantee you that town will never be the same.

Pericles
03-19-2010, 10:04 AM
If the crowd is with you, it is OK to go a bit longer than planned.

GunnyFreedom
03-19-2010, 10:18 AM
If the crowd is with you, it is OK to go a bit longer than planned.

At our conventions for Franklin County, Second District, and NC State, we have a pretty solid tradition of holding candidate speeches to the clock whether we like them or not. It's a superficial nod to 'fair play' even tho District and State don't always abide by the spirit of that high principle.

DirtMcGirt
03-19-2010, 10:44 AM
Great speech Gunny!!!

Be confident and proud when you deliver your stump speech knowing that you will be a voice representing many of us here on RPF and for a lot of citizens in the Tar Heel state who do not know you yet!!!

GunnyFreedom
03-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks DirtMcGirt!

We got video of the speech -- the video is not as impressive as the real thing, problem is that I am the camera & video expert in my circle of friends. The first 10sec or so was missing, and the audio is a little at issue, but here is the video nonetheless:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGohYJD--mI

The folks at the convention were super impressed. While the video looks like a single or a double, the real thing was actually a 2-run homer. I really really need to get some photo & video expertise involved at some of these events. :)

ETA -- it keeps deleting my YouTube URL???

I'll keep trying to post it, but until then, here is the vid as a link. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGohYJD--mI)

ETAA-- wtf over? even posted as a link it just deletes it??

http:// www.youtube.com/ (http://www.youtube.com/) watch?v=AGohYJD--mI

ETAYA-- something is very broken with the link parser on the board right now. I got the vid to show up once by removing the http:// and then it literally deleted the link from my post again...

Anti Federalist
03-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks DirtMcGirt!

We got video of the speech -- the video is not as impressive as the real thing, problem is that I am the camera & video expert in my circle of friends. The first 10sec or so was missing, and the audio is a little at issue, but here is the video nonetheless:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGohYJD--mI

The folks at the convention were super impressed. While the video looks like a single or a double, the real thing was actually a 2-run homer. I really really need to get some photo & video expertise involved at some of these events. :)

ETA -- it keeps deleting my YouTube URL???

I'll keep trying to post it, but until then, here is the vid as a link. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGohYJD--mI)

ETAA-- wtf over? even posted as a link it just deletes it??

http:// www.youtube.com/ (http://www.youtube.com/) watch?v=AGohYJD--mI

ETAYA-- something is very broken with the link parser on the board right now. I got the vid to show up once by removing the http:// and then it literally deleted the link from my post again...

Awesome job, Glen, well done.