PDA

View Full Version : [Southern Avenger Video] ~ "Why 'The Hurt Locker' Hurts"

Reason
03-11-2010, 10:25 PM
YouTube - SA@TAC - Why 'The Hurt Locker' Hurts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P38BxXmVb0)

Agorism
03-11-2010, 10:27 PM
I'll have to see the movie before i watch this.

Reason
03-11-2010, 10:29 PM
I'll have to see the movie before i watch this.

You should.

Everyone should.

It's powerful...

JamesButabi
03-11-2010, 10:35 PM
I just watched this movie. I was actually very bored with this movie along with my girlfriend. It seemed to keep going on and on and on. I do agree with Jack here though, that if American people can not admit that the Iraq war was unjust, they will not be able to be convinced any war is.

Reason
03-11-2010, 10:40 PM
I was actually very bored with this movie

:eek:

jmdrake
03-11-2010, 10:42 PM
The only thing standing between a soldier and a bad government decision is the American public. With the invasion of Iraq America did not support the troops, we needlessly abused them. And the hurt locker is a movie about that abuse.

Toureg89
03-11-2010, 10:44 PM
great movie and great commentary.

WorldonaString
03-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Well spoken! Heckuva movie too...

Reason
03-12-2010, 01:44 AM
//

GunnyFreedom
03-12-2010, 04:39 AM
Just watched it, and damn. just, damn.

I just watched this movie. I was actually very bored with this movie along with my girlfriend. It seemed to keep going on and on and on. I do agree with Jack here though, that if American people can not admit that the Iraq war was unjust, they will not be able to be convinced any war is.

Well, isn't that kinda the point?

As for me, I was riveted. The aspect of the 'endless grind' seemed to be quite the point of the direction. I took it as quite intentional. You couldn't hardly sit through 2 hours and 10 minutes of the movie. Just imagine sweating blood, sweat, and tears through 365 days of that shit.

Cap
03-12-2010, 05:35 AM
Fxcking neocons.

GunnyFreedom
03-12-2010, 05:59 AM
Fxcking neocons.

And almost all of them armchair frakkin warriors, who never having served a day in their lives, sit it the comfort of their homes and spew crap about honorable men like Adam Kokesh. :mad: Never even willing to frelling LISTEN to a multitour combat vet that we are frakkin the dog out there but more than happy to send someone elses children to die. :mad: These dam ppl make me want to break something. :mad:

Reason
03-12-2010, 09:45 AM
//

georgiaboy
03-12-2010, 10:39 AM
I saw the movie. My stomach was in a knot the whole time watching it. futility is the best description i can come up with.

Pericles
03-12-2010, 11:35 AM
If you have no empathy for other people, I can see how the movie might be boring.

That being said, I wouldn't be having the NCOs of the unit I commanded taking chances they didn't have to. Getting your people out of there alive becomes the goal.

purplechoe
03-12-2010, 08:32 PM
I saw the movie. My stomach was in a knot the whole time watching it. futility is the best description i can come up with.

Yeah, that's why I debating on seeing it... although I'm sure I will eventually...

Stary Hickory
03-12-2010, 09:50 PM
I might check the movie out, at first I thought it was a hit piece on our troops. But if it raises questions about the war it might be good.

libertarian4321
03-13-2010, 06:14 AM
That being said, I wouldn't be having the NCOs of the unit I commanded taking chances they didn't have to. Getting your people out of there alive becomes the goal.

That was the major reason I thought the movie sucked- it was completely unrealistic.

There was no command. Hell, it almost looked like these guys weren't military at all, just three enlisted guys running around doing as they damned well pleased and generally acting crazy. How often do three enlisted guys get to tool around in Iraq by themselves in a Hummer with no supervision and no command?

The movie was supposed to be an "authentic" portrayal of the military, but I suspect you'd get more realism watching "Stripes."

GunnyFreedom
03-13-2010, 06:37 AM
The movie never attempted covered the "shop" where one assumes their orders and mission briefs came from. If they had, I am sure there would have been all kinds of officers. I can't imagine it would be unusual for a Tech Sergeant to lead a 3-man EOD team in the field.

About the only thing missing from what I saw would be the morning muster/briefings that would take place every day for about a half hour. Other than that it looked pretty real to me. I don't see an officer leading a 3-man team in the field outside of SOCOM type stuff. Hell, in the infantry you don't even have to be a Corporal to lead a 3-man team...

GunnyFreedom
03-13-2010, 06:59 AM
I will say that there were a couple incidents where the Tech Sergeant would likley have been called on the carpet before the Company Commander they did not cover either, and probably should have. The way those kinds of teams work in the field, is (unless on liberty) the whole team musters at an hour past reveille for a head count and then either attends to a work detail at the shop, or waits in the barracks for a deployment order. In a "loose" company, sometimes they will only make the MSGT muster, and make him account for his team.

I was impressed by the movie even without those details. They are really the "mundane" parts of being in the military, and would be mostly lost on civilians. I'd like to have seen them at least partially addressed, but the only reason the lack of those details detracts from the movie is simply because people who have seen lots of war movies will miss seeing them.

We never saw them in the chow hall either, and we did not assume that they failed to eat...