PDA

View Full Version : Gentleman Surprised by the Level of Discourse at Tea Party

AuH20
03-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Of course, the media loves pushing the 'extreme racist' meme because it insulates their chief benefactor, the government, from the slings and arrows of legitimate criticism.

http://themoderatevoice.com/65434/what-i-learned-at-the-tea-parties/

I’ve now met with more than a dozen groups in both Upstate New York and Pennsylvania, and my suspicions have been almost unanimously confounded rather than confirmed. We’ve been greeted by surprisingly large groups of citizens who were polite and obviously very well informed on the issues of the day which concern them. The tone has been far more energized and excited than hysterical. And any expectations of a friendly, conservative base reception were quickly dismissed. They asked questions – very tough questions in many cases – and listened patiently to the answers.

The topics of interest came as a bit of a shock also. As part of my duties I help with crafting the candidate’s stump speeches. Again, not wishing to sound overly jaded, but for the usual Republican gatherings I know what works. I always include the key buzz phrases: “respect for life” and “keep and bear arms” along with all the rest. They are the reliable barn burners which always bring the house down. Imagine my dismay when these tried and true stump winners were met with either silent nods of approval or polite smatterings of applause. It’s not that the audience didn’t agree… it’s just not what they came to hear.

Another part of the speech caught the crowd’s interest instead. The congressional hopeful spoke of his career as a high school history teacher. (For the record, after these speeches I generally have to scurry around and remind people that he teaches at a private Catholic school and isn’t affiliated with the teachers union.) He talked about stressing to his students the importance of Article 1 Section 8 of the Constitution and the 10th amendment. That is what brought the crowd to their feet. We had to pause and wait for the ovation to die down. They knew their history and were focused on what they saw as the proper function and authority of the federal government. (And let’s have a moment of brutal honesty here… how many of you had to flip open another tab on your browser to be reminded of what Article 1 Section 8 says?)

These groups do not just hand out their endorsements lightly, either. They don’t toss up the banner of every candidate with an “R” after their name. Thus far they seem to be paying a lot more attention to the state Conservative Party than the GOP. A couple of them have endorsed Libertarians over Republicans.

Anti Federalist
03-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Amazing, amazing...!

1836er
03-11-2010, 01:09 PM
This, whether the states ultimately get a backbone and force the federal government to live within the bounds of the 10th Amendment, is what will ultimately determine whether the US survives or falls.

Pericles
03-11-2010, 03:11 PM
This, whether the states ultimately get a backbone and force the federal government to live within the bounds of the 10th Amendment, is what will ultimately determine whether the US survives or falls.

I'd like to be optimistic, but I think the reality is that the country has been bankrupted.

lynnf
03-11-2010, 03:48 PM
I'd like to be optimistic, but I think the reality is that the country has been bankrupted.

I think so, too. the question is, is it beyond repair? well, repudiating the debt might repair it but the cure might be worse than the disease!

lynn