PDA

View Full Version : Washington Times: Gov't workers fee no economic pain

Cowlesy
03-11-2010, 07:32 AM
http://washingtontimes.com/news/2010/mar/11/government-workers-feel-no-pain/

By David M. Dickson

The recession and the ongoing jobless recovery devastated much of the private-sector work force last year, sending unemployment soaring, but government workers emerged essentially unscathed, according to data released Wednesday by the Labor Department.

Meanwhile, the compensation for state and local government employees continued to easily outdistance the wages and benefits for workers in private business, a separate Labor Department report showed.

Private-industry employers spent an average of $27.42 per hour worked for total employee compensation in December, while total compensation costs for state and local government workers averaged $39.60 per hour.

The average government wage and salary per hour of $26.11 was 35 percent higher than the average wage and salary of $19.41 per hour in the private sector. But the percentage difference in benefits was much higher. Benefits for state and local workers averaged $13.49 per hour, nearly 70 percent higher than the $8 per hour in benefits paid by private businesses.

Paul Booth, executive assistant to the president at the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME), attributed the pay difference to a changing government work force that has increased its proportion of higher-skilled workers during the past 15 to 20 years.

"In government payrolls, you no longer have low-wage occupations, such as janitors, whose jobs have been contracted out to the private sector," he said. This trend has effectively increased the average wage of those higher-skilled workers who remain, said Mr. Booth, whose union represents 1.6 million workers.

Small-government advocates see it differently.

Compensation for government workers "is a gigantic problem" that will only get worse in future years, said Chris Edwards, director of tax policy studies at the Cato Institute, which advocates less government and lower taxes.

"The defined-benefit pension plans for state and local workers and their post-retirement health care costs do not include the extent to which those benefits are underfunded or overpromised," Mr. Edwards said.

The cost of today's benefits for government employees ($13.49 per hour) assumes that these retirement benefits are fully funded. However, Mr. Edwards estimated that the benefits are underfunded by $3 trillion.

Benefit costs eventually will soar, and taxpayers will be required to pay the difference between available resources and the overpromised benefits as government workers of the baby boom generation, who start to turn 65 next year, begin to retire en masse. Government workers also have the rare privilege of being able to retire at age 55.

With state budgets under extreme stress, the pension problem is worsening because workers are accruing future benefits that are not reflected in current data, Mr. Edwards said.

Meanwhile, private-sector workers who are unemployed or working part time are not paying as much in taxes.

This looks like code for, "Hey Private Sector, we NEED MORE MONEY TO FEED OUR GOV'T WORKERS."

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

sevin
03-11-2010, 07:35 AM
fucking leeches

Elle
03-11-2010, 07:39 AM
Last week the Gov't here in Michigan decided to give themselves 3% raises :confused:

fisharmor
03-11-2010, 08:32 AM
You guys have no idea.
I live in fascist paradise Northern Virginia.
EVERYONE here works for the government. (Except me.)

I see it over and over again: they get people with a year or two carrying a rifle or punching the same button 24/7 on a ship, who would otherwise make great drill press operators or truck drivers, and they pump them full of bullshit about running the country and teach them that doing ten hours per day of meaningless paperwork nobody needs or looks at is somehow keeping the country safe.

In the process they utterly break what little brains they had to begin with. They start speaking only in acronyms. Morality becomes a serious hindrance to doing their jobs.

The state becomes their God. I am not kidding. I used to go to a church swarming with these robots. They bring their mission-critical mentality into their home lives and into their churches, and eventually they end up trampling the fundamental tenets of their "faith" because they inconveniently got in the way of the mission.

If you don't live around DC you have no idea how bad it's getting, either. There are entirely new complexes getting built - millions of square feet of office building that will be filled with armies of drones making six figures to push paper.

I'm "lucky" enough to work in a private sector company. I have a centered perspective on things largely because I work with a LOT of brown people. Indians and Pakistanis with masters degrees who can't get a job sweeping the floors of these new temples to the state, who are doing eight times the amount of work as these morons for half the pay. The temples may as well have signs in the front saying "people with accents need not apply".

Fairfax County, Virginia is, last I checked, the wealthiest per capita area of the nation. And what is made here? NOTHING. What natural resources? NONE.

Stary Hickory
03-11-2010, 11:32 AM
You guys have no idea.
I live in fascist paradise Northern Virginia.
EVERYONE here works for the government. (Except me.)

I see it over and over again: they get people with a year or two carrying a rifle or punching the same button 24/7 on a ship, who would otherwise make great drill press operators or truck drivers, and they pump them full of bullshit about running the country and teach them that doing ten hours per day of meaningless paperwork nobody needs or looks at is somehow keeping the country safe.

In the process they utterly break what little brains they had to begin with. They start speaking only in acronyms. Morality becomes a serious hindrance to doing their jobs.

The state becomes their God. I am not kidding. I used to go to a church swarming with these robots. They bring their mission-critical mentality into their home lives and into their churches, and eventually they end up trampling the fundamental tenets of their "faith" because they inconveniently got in the way of the mission.

If you don't live around DC you have no idea how bad it's getting, either. There are entirely new complexes getting built - millions of square feet of office building that will be filled with armies of drones making six figures to push paper.

I'm "lucky" enough to work in a private sector company. I have a centered perspective on things largely because I work with a LOT of brown people. Indians and Pakistanis with masters degrees who can't get a job sweeping the floors of these new temples to the state, who are doing eight times the amount of work as these morons for half the pay. The temples may as well have signs in the front saying "people with accents need not apply".

Fairfax County, Virginia is, last I checked, the wealthiest per capita area of the nation. And what is made here? NOTHING. What natural resources? NONE.

Exactly this. The belly of the beast. Everyone should see it to understand what is happening in this country. There are hundres of thousands employed at jobs that provide NO benefit to the people of America. These jobs are impossible to eliminate and the unions ensure more and more pay and bennies.

People in the DC area live in a different world. One that is free from the realities that everyone else must deal with. The economic crisis in DC is not even a speed bump. Imagine a giant trough with all the piggies feasting off of it. That is what DC is, the huge open sore of America where the leeches can come and feast off the lifeblood of the country.

Anti Federalist
03-11-2010, 01:21 PM
They start speaking only in acronyms.

Newspeak comrade, newspeak.

Thanks for the insight into the rathole. +1

The upside, we're bankrupt and the whole shitting mess is on the verge of collapse.

AuH20
03-11-2010, 01:29 PM
This is not going to end well.

sevin
03-11-2010, 01:34 PM
This is not going to end well.

Nope. The rising tension between the private sector and the government will reach an explosive point in the next 5-15 years. It could end many ways: armageddon, dictatorship, or a new era of freedom.