PDA

View Full Version : SWAT raid - arrested - guns seized - Crime? Being "disgruntled".

Anti Federalist
03-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Police act swiftly after gun purchasesODOT worker who'd been put on leave is mentally evaluated after buying handguns, AK-47

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100309/NEWS/3090315

March 09, 2010
By Anita Burke

Concerns about an Oregon Department of Transportation employee who purchased several guns after being placed on leave prompted law enforcement across Southern Oregon to step in.

Negotiators and a SWAT team from Medford police safely took a man — whose name wasn't released — into protective custody Monday morning in the 500 block of Effie Street, Medford police said in a news release.

He was taken to Rogue Valley Medical Center for a mental-health evaluation.

The man recently had been placed on administrative leave from his job and was "very disgruntled," the news release said.

ODOT Communications Director Patrick Cooney said there were administrative, personnel matters involved that limited what the department could discuss.

However, the state agency had reported concerns about the man to law enforcement agencies, who started monitoring him, officials said.

"We had concerning information regarding a personnel issue and were watching the subject," Jackson County Sheriff Mike Winters said.

In two days, the man bought a Heckler & Koch .45-caliber universal self-loading handgun, a Walther .380-caliber handgun and an AK-47 assault rifle, Medford police Lt. Bob Hansen said. All of those firearms were purchased legally, with required record checks by the Oregon State Police.

Authorities were "extremely concerned" that the man may have been planning to retaliate against his employers, the news release said.

"Instead of being reactive, we took a proactive approach," OSP Sgt. Jeff Proulx said.

Douglas and Jackson County sheriff's departments, OSP officers based in both counties and police in Medford and Roseburg collaborated, he said.

Medford police watched the man's home overnight, starting at about 9 p.m. Sunday, Hansen said.

Because he was known to have weapons, police wanted to defuse the situation and ensure the man wasn't a danger to himself or others before the neighborhood awakened and people started their daily activities, Hansen said.

Medford's hostage negotiators and SWAT team were called in at 3 a.m. Monday and arrived on the scene at about 5:45 a.m., he said.

About a dozen officers responded. They closed the street for about an hour and evacuated three homes to protect neighbors and prevent bystanders from gathering, he said.

After a phone conversation with negotiators, the man — who was alone in the home — agreed to come out, Hansen said.

Police seized the recently purchased firearms, as well as another .45-caliber Heckler & Koch handgun and a 12-gauge shotgun. Police are holding the weapons for safekeeping, but no criminal charges have been filed.

Reach reporter Anita Burke at 541-776-4485, or e-mail aburke@mailtribune.com.

Pericles
03-10-2010, 04:03 PM
In addition to the obvious, use of his firearms purchases for the purpose of anything other than a criminal investigation or prosecution is a violation of federal law, thanks to Rep. Tiahrt - "The Tiahrt Amendment provides in relevant part that ATF trace data "shall be inadmissible in evidence, and shall not be used, relied on, or disclosed in any manner, nor shall testimony or other evidence be permitted based on the data, in a civil action in any State (including the District of Columbia) or Federal court..."

They don't adhere to the Constitution -

They don't obey the law -

Guess what happens next-

Anti Federalist
03-10-2010, 10:58 PM
///

tremendoustie
03-10-2010, 11:04 PM
I need to get to NH. It's not just this story, but so many every day ...

KCIndy
03-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Incredible.

IN - FRIGGIN - CREDIBLE.

As near as I can tell after reading through all the PC gibberish, the man did absolutely NOTHING wrong. NOTHING illegal. He didn't threaten anyone either verbally or physically. He was simply "disgruntled" after losing his job, as anyone might be.

And he is arrested, locked up, and held against his will for a mental evaluation.

WTF?? Seriously???

If he wasn't a threat before all this happened, I'll bet good money he'll be a threat after he's finally released, assuming they don't lock him up forever on some lame mental health charge.

Philhelm
03-10-2010, 11:46 PM
I won't be surprised if the man gets diagnosed with something as a matter of course. Mental illness has historically been used as a means for persecution, especially since it can circumnavigate due process. For instance, if a psychologist/psychiatrist claims that one has a mental illness, what due process is there to contest that?

KCIndy
03-10-2010, 11:49 PM
if a psychologist/psychiatrist claims that one has a mental illness, what due process is there to contest that?

Very little, unless you have the cash to hire a battery of attorneys and a bunch of independent psychiatrists to contest the judgment in court.

Justice may be blind, but it sure as hell ain't cheap.

puppetmaster
03-11-2010, 01:04 AM
well hell, now I'm disgruntled.....and I have guns. There coming for us boys!!

youngbuck
03-11-2010, 01:26 AM
well hell, now I'm disgruntled.....and I have guns. :eek:

LOL.

JK/SEA
03-11-2010, 01:54 AM
Moral of the story is. If you ever get fired, make sure you tell people on the way out how happy you are to be out of that hell hole!..

then go buy guns.....and ammo....and a bulletproof jacket...and...never mind..

Reason
03-11-2010, 02:25 AM
//

KCIndy
03-11-2010, 07:27 AM
then go buy guns.....and ammo....and a bulletproof jacket...and...never mind..

Don't use guns in this situation. Never give the gun grabbers any more statistical ammo.

If you're PO'ed at the boss, just run a classified ad in the paper with his cell number and the text, "Kittens wanted for a loving home, will take as many as you have for my adorable, cat-loving kids."

Then run a second ad with his home number and the text, "Factory new 1955 Thunderbird convertible for sale; would rather sell than let the wife get it in the divorce. First $1,000 cash gets the car."

:D

TruckinMike
03-11-2010, 07:48 AM
This attitude of the government (monkeys (http://www.starvingthemonkeys.com/MonkeyDefined.html)) is not new. A couple of years ago I protested my property taxes. While waiting my turn at bat a 70-ish man gave his logical arguments, but was almost immediately shot down in flames by the panel. After which he began to tell them what he thought. No cursing, just ridicule, but with a raised voice. --- The panel promptly called the sheriffs department for fear he may do something. Deputies came to remove him but he had already left by the time they got there.

That incident let me know --- that it really is --- US vs THEM.

TMike

Anti Federalist
03-11-2010, 12:12 PM
That incident let me know --- that it really is --- US vs THEM.

TMike

Yes, it really is.

:mad:

V4Vendetta
03-11-2010, 12:56 PM
ok this guy needs to sue the state, county sheriff, and local police chief, for them arresting, confiscating, and wasting tax payer money for a NON-CRIME!!!

Innocent until proven guilty???? according to these men, a Proactive approach was ok - (guilty until proven innocent)

V4Vendetta
03-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Don't use guns in this situation. Never give the gun grabbers any more statistical ammo.

If you're PO'ed at the boss, just run a classified ad in the paper with his cell number and the text, "Kittens wanted for a loving home, will take as many as you have for my adorable, cat-loving kids."

Then run a second ad with his home number and the text, "Factory new 1955 Thunderbird convertible for sale; would rather sell than let the wife get it in the divorce. First $1,000 cash gets the car."

:D

Brilliant idea!!!!