PDA

View Full Version : Police Shoot & Kill Barking Labrador in Backyard

disorderlyvision
03-09-2010, 03:31 PM
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/03/owner_animal_advocates_questio.html

WESTLAKE, Ohio -- Steven Cooke concedes his dog probably ran barking at police officers who came into his back yard.

He can't understand why an officer shot the dog dead.

Cooke's yellow Labrador retriever Callaway was shot once in the head by officer Mark Morales near the back door to Cooke's house about 4:30 p.m. Saturday.

Cooke said he was away at Mass when his burglar alarm went off. Officers responded and started to check the back door to see if anyone had broken in .

The dog ran at Morales in a "full aggressive charge," the officer wrote in a preliminary report, and posed an "imminent threat of physical harm."

Cooke, a dentist, noted that Morales was not bitten or scratched by the dog. He said Morales should have either kicked the dog away or used his Taser or pepper spray.

"He could have done any number of things, other than shoot the dog," Cooke said. "I don't think any family should have to endure this."

Police took Callaway, named after the golf equipment, to the West Park Animal Hospital and notified Cooke and his family. Cooke said he agreed to euthanize the dog.

News of the shooting made its way through animal rights e-mail lists Sunday and Monday. Most of those e-mails did not mention the dog charging the officer, only that it barked. By late Monday, police and Westlake Mayor Dennis Clough received several calls and e-mails angry over the shooting.

"I am mortified," wrote resident Linda Stacks.

Resident and dog owner Jessica Monnolly called the shooting "shocking" in an e-mail.

"I am rightly concerned about my own dog's well-being should something like this (house alarm, etc.) happen at my home," she wrote. "What are the regulations that protect us and our dogs from the same fate!?"

The Animal Protective League in Cleveland plans to review the incident, said director Sharon Harvey. The group needs to know more facts before reaching any conclusions, she said.

Clough cannot remember any previous incidents of officers shooting pets at homes in his more than 20 years as mayor. He said he would wait for a full report before making further comment.

"We're sorry about the dog being shot," he said. "It's an unfortunate incident at this point."

Police spokesman Ray Arcuri said officers do not believe any neighbors were home at the time of the shooting and urged any witnesses to come forward. He said supervisors will talk with Morales, but the standards for how police respond to the shooting of an animal differ from the shooting of a person.

Morales has been on the force four years and has never fired his gun on duty before. He will continue working during the investigation, Arcuri said.

Police and Cooke agree on the events that brought police to the house: Cooke said he keeps his two retrievers in his garage while away from the house and that the dogs probably pushed open the garage's back door, setting off the alarm. A third dog belonging to his daughter was also there.

Arcuri said the home has had four false alarms since the start of December and had a few earlier last year.

Cooke said the dogs would naturally bark and approach officers and bark or growl since the officers are strangers on the dogs' territory. But he insists the dogs do not bite and pose no real threat.

Arcuri said one dog trotted toward Morales barking but Callaway ran past the other at the officer. Morales backed away and yelled at Callaway to stop, but he did not. The dog was shot three to four feet from where the officer was standing.

"He didn't have the option to go to things less than lethal," Arcuri said.

Cooke said Morales could have taken shelter behind yard furniture near the door or gone around a fence. In the calls and e-mails to the city, others questioned training they said should have had the officer better prepared.

U.S. Postal Service carriers deal with dogs on their routes all the time, but carry only pepper spray, said spokesman Victor Dubina. But in coming through the same areas regularly, they learn the dogs and behaviors and know which ones to watch out for.

Even so, 18 carriers were bitten last year in the Greater Cleveland area, which includes most of Cuyahoga County. Another seven were injured evading dogs.

tmosley
03-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Don't call the police. EVER.

MelissaWV
03-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Of course there are better ways to handle this, but the owner should have realized after the first couple of false alarms and the dogs' behavior with pushing the door open and triggering it... that something should have been done to prevent it from happening.

I would not want to be neighbors with someone whose damned dog kept setting off the house alarm over and over and over again :(

Poor dog. It was probably confused and annoyed by the loud alarm, then these weird people are suddenly on its turf creeping around and yelling at it. Once again, animals pay for the stupidity of people.

New2Libertarianism
03-09-2010, 03:44 PM
If the dog was anything but white, the MSM will be ALL over it.

Paulitical Correctness
03-09-2010, 03:45 PM
I fucking despise the police. And I'm not typically one to use foul language and show hatred. The reports are what piss me off most, though. Strategic phrases and vocabulary such as "full aggressive charge"...

:mad:

Paulitical Correctness
03-09-2010, 03:47 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=195440

disorderlyvision
03-09-2010, 03:58 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=195440

weiner dogs and labs, must be on the enemy combatant list

constituent
03-09-2010, 04:07 PM
C'mon, cut the guy some slack the dog came at him with a "full aggressive charge." WTF else was the guy supposed to do? Back off and secure the perimeter of the house or something? I mean, sheeesh.

constituent
03-09-2010, 04:08 PM
weiner dogs... must be on the enemy combatant list

better be, nippy little bastards.

DapperDan
03-09-2010, 04:16 PM
The dog resisted arrest, failed to use a turn signal, and possibly involved in money laundering.

Mordan
03-09-2010, 04:17 PM
what's wrong?
stupid dog, stupid owner. the police office did what most would have done.
I hate dogs that bark

TruckinMike
03-09-2010, 04:35 PM
They should have shot the owner instead. False alarm, false alarm, false alarm. --- Whos fault is that?

Anti Federalist
03-09-2010, 05:11 PM

That...x infinity.

RichieLibertarian
03-09-2010, 06:35 PM
poor dog....was only protecting his territory....owner is an ass....but that cop didnt have to shoot the poor thing...fuckin prick...i wish him the worst

payme_rick
03-09-2010, 06:38 PM
C'mon, cut the guy some slack the dog came at him with a "full aggressive charge." WTF else was the guy supposed to do? Back off and secure the perimeter of the house or something? I mean, sheeesh.

It's a lab... kick it... hit it... pepper-spray it... run the hell out of the yard... you're a big human... it's a 100 pound dog...

if it were a pit I'd understand more... but still, don't go in the back-yard if it's there...

fisharmor
03-09-2010, 06:40 PM
what's wrong?

You.

akforme
03-09-2010, 06:55 PM
My neighbor's dog did the same thing this last summer when I was walking by his house. The dog held up at the last moment but he came charging out like he was going to attack. I pulled my gun and was pointing it at him when he stopped.

I live in the woods and we have bears, that's why I carry a gun walking BTW. And it's a 44 with bear slugs, the dog wouldn't need anymore attention had I shot it.

RM918
03-09-2010, 07:21 PM
I hate dogs that bark

Very rare that dogs bark, and the ones that do are almost always mentally deficient.

ctiger2
03-09-2010, 07:25 PM

+1

MN Patriot
03-09-2010, 09:22 PM
What a bunch of punks. "Don't ever call the police, blah, blah."
A yellow lab can rip a chunk of flesh from you in an instant. I don't blame the police one bit for shooting the thing, especially if it was running at full charge at him. I would have shot the thing and have no remorse, especially if the owner called me to his house to check on the alarm. What is wrong with the owner, the dog probably set the alarm off. What do you need an alarm for, with a vicious dog like that. Some of the dumbest, most threatening dogs I've known were yellow labs. A neighbor had one, big thick skull, he would growl at me when he was walking by MY house.

phill4paul
03-09-2010, 09:24 PM
A yellow lab can rip a chunk of flesh from you in an instant. I don't blame the police one bit for shooting the thing, especially if it was running at full charge at him. I would have shot the thing and have no remorse, especially if the owner called me to his house to check on the alarm. What is wrong with the owner, the dog probably set the alarm off. What do you need an alarm for, with a vicious dog like that. Some of the dumbest, most threatening dogs I've known were yellow labs. A neighbor had one, big thick skull, he would growl at me when he was walking by MY house.

I think the point being..don't ever call the police.

rancher89
03-09-2010, 09:29 PM
weiner dogs and labs, must be on the enemy combatant belligerents list

There, fixed that for you.:D

I have boxers, one barks at everything, especially if it has wheels, what can I say, she's not firing on all cylindars..., the other, if he growls, he means business, hardly ever barks, very smart, for a dog.

Door should have been fixed so this wouldn't happen.

Anti Federalist
03-09-2010, 09:46 PM

It has nothing to do with dogs or "punks".

It has everything to do with calling cops out to your property for any reason.

More and more, someone or something you love or cherish will end up dead if you bring cops into a volatile situation.

Stop "projecting" because your neighbor had a dumb dog.

Anti Federalist
03-09-2010, 09:47 PM
I think the point being..don't ever call the police.

Missed that, yeah.

MelissaWV
03-10-2010, 07:39 AM

Most alarms contact the police automatically. I'm not sure why, after the previous times, the owner didn't realize that the dogs would set off the alarm.

All of that taken as fact, calling the police should not mean one asks for one's property or family members to be at risk of damage, injury, or death.

Krugerrand
03-10-2010, 08:01 AM
It has nothing to do with dogs or "punks".

It has everything to do with calling cops out to your property for any reason.

More and more, someone or something you love or cherish will end up dead if you bring cops into a volatile situation.

Stop "projecting" because your neighbor had a dumb dog.

I agree with you AF.

I like dogs.

Still, given the situation, I have to side with the cop on this one. Yeah, a stun gun or pepper spray would have been better - but they have every right to protect themselves, too. The mailman walks around prepared for a dog. A police man walks around prepared for somebody to try and kill him. That's unfortunate for the dog.

RM918
03-10-2010, 08:04 AM
I agree with you AF.

I like dogs.

Still, given the situation, I have to side with the cop on this one. Yeah, a stun gun or pepper spray would have been better - but they have every right to protect themselves, too. The mailman walks around prepared for a dog. A police man walks around prepared for somebody to try and kill him. That's unfortunate for the dog.

You ever even TOUCH a police dog, however, and you're fucked.

phill4paul
03-10-2010, 06:04 PM
You ever even TOUCH a police dog, however, and you're fucked.

That's the difference between government property and private property.

When it concerns government property extensive laws and agencies of enforcement are created to protect the government.

When concerns individuals extensive laws and agencies of enforcement are created to protect the government.