PDA

View Full Version : Obama to Ban Fishing by Executive Order

wildturkey
03-09-2010, 06:47 AM
Read the article, then please write to your congressman. This will really hit a lot of people in nothing but negative ways.
http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/saltwater/news/story?id=4975762

angelatc
03-09-2010, 07:18 AM
I wish we had a Congress that would challenge laws like this.

BuddyRey
03-09-2010, 03:24 PM
I can just see how my next conversation with my dad is going to go.

Dad: "You know, Obama's not all that bad. I mean, I don't like him, but at least he's not Bush."

Me: "You do know that he wants to ban fishing, right?"

Dad: "WHAT?!?!?! This tyranny must cease!!!"

;):D

Bruno
03-09-2010, 03:29 PM
I can just see how my next conversation with my dad is going to go.

Dad: "You know, Obama's not all that bad. I mean, I don't like him, but at least he's not Bush."

Me: "You do know that he wants to ban fishing, right?"

Dad: "WHAT?!?!?! This tyranny must cease!!!"

;):D

Thanks - I needed that laugh! :)

Cowlesy
03-09-2010, 03:33 PM
I just want to know why they do not mention Recreational Fishing at all.

That's what bothers me. I want to see a LEGAL document with a Definitions section outlining all the terms for whatever witch's brew they're concocting.

I would not put it past environmentalists to try and fold recreational fishing in with commercial fishing --- f'ing nutjobs.

NiceGoing
03-09-2010, 03:39 PM
First they ban fishing,...

Next thing ya know, they'll be banning breathing.....

NAH...!
that couldn't happen
:eek:

New2Libertarianism
03-09-2010, 03:43 PM
I jumped the gun on that NASCAR thing, so I'm going to hold off here.

Sarge
03-09-2010, 03:45 PM
You just had to change your face again.

I will print and take it to our fishing meeting Thursday night. I am sure they already are on this. And let them try to stop me from fishing our lakes. Hope they have one hell of a night crew. Insanity rules implemented by the greedy to control everything.

Wait they are also going to have thousands of day crews to enforce this on millions of lakes. They have no idea what they are getting themselves into on this kind of thinking. This is like a declaration of war on fishermen.

amy31416
03-09-2010, 03:45 PM
I jumped the gun on that NASCAR thing, so I'm going to hold off here.

It does seem like kind of a stretch that anyone (aside from insane vegans/PETA/ALF) might seriously try to ban recreational fishing, or even commercial fishing.

GunnyFreedom
03-09-2010, 03:51 PM
FFS! pppp :p

cbc58
03-09-2010, 04:06 PM
please... they're not going to ban recreational fishing... they need the permit fees and you would see an uprising like nothing else.

Ninja Homer
03-09-2010, 04:15 PM
This would awaken a sleeping giant.

You know all those people that don't get involved in politics? It's because they're all out fishing or hunting in their spare time. I think we'd see some action taking place on upholding state's rights if this happens... especially in "the land of 10,000 lakes."

dannno
03-09-2010, 04:43 PM
You just had to change your face again.

I will print and take it to our fishing meeting Thursday night. I am sure they already are on this. And let them try to stop me from fishing our lakes. Hope they have one hell of a night crew. Insanity rules implemented by the greedy to control everything.

Wait they are also going to have thousands of day crews to enforce this on millions of lakes. They have no idea what they are getting themselves into on this kind of thinking. This is like a declaration of war on fishermen.

Ya I doubt this will go through, no doubt they are STILL going to be pushing vast regulations over all of our waterways NO MATTER WHAT they decide to do with fishing.. but if they ban fishing I'm going to have to start up again.

Cowlesy
03-09-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm waiting for an email from one of uber-paranoid lists I somehow end up on with "EXECUTIVE ORDER: OBAMA TO BAN ALL FISHING" with some sort of religious connotation attached to horribly worded/formatted email with 6 references to revelations.

You know what kind of list I'm talkin' bout!

GunnyFreedom
03-09-2010, 05:07 PM
I'm waiting for an email from one of uber-paranoid lists I somehow end up on with "EXECUTIVE ORDER: OBAMA TO BAN ALL FISHING" with some sort of religious connotation attached to horribly worded/formatted email with 6 references to revelations.

no...SEVEN references to Revelation -- six would be teh evil!

phill4paul
03-09-2010, 05:17 PM
. but if they ban fishing I'm going to have to start up again.

Yep.

fedup100
03-09-2010, 05:59 PM
I predict a ban on shitting without a permit, they need the money and you need to shit.

nayjevin
03-09-2010, 06:39 PM
these unlawful enemy anglers must be stopped!

ChooseLiberty
03-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Maybe they don't want anyone to be able to "live off the land".

Synthesized food cubules will be in the Fema camps.

akforme
03-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day... Teach a man to fish, and now he need to go get a fishing license.

moostraks
03-09-2010, 07:38 PM

lol :D

gls
03-09-2010, 08:28 PM
So is there any limit at all to what a president can do under a so-called "Executive Order", or is he basically just a king?

andrewh817
03-09-2010, 08:37 PM
I just want to know why they do not mention Recreational Fishing at all.

Why is any new bill vague? For that matter, why was the constitution vague? The less specific, the more power they can "justify" under that law or document.

Zippyjuan
03-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Totally blown out of proportion story- amazed that ESPN is playing it this way. There is not going to be any ban on all fishing. Just one fish. To quote Paul Harvey, "Now you know the rest of the story", and the story is:
http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978093288

Obama Adminstration Backs Bluefin Fishing Ban
March 09, 2010 07:32 PM EST (Updated: March 09, 2010 07:37 PM EST)
views: 256 | 1 person recommends this | comments: 2
It seems like the Obama Administration is backing a worldwide ban on fishing or trade in Bluefin Tuna, hoping to preserve the stocks that remain.

As the New York Times reports, the species looks to be in dire straits:

"There is no doubt that the species is in desperate trouble. Stocks of Atlantic and Mediterranean bluefin declined by more than 70 percent between 1957 and 2007, and by more than 60 percent in the last decade alone. Stocks in the Western Atlantic, including the United States, have stabilized but at a very low level. The decline has been driven by a growing global appetite for tuna, and by the rapid mechanization of industrial fishing, chiefly purse-seining operations that allow for the capture of entire schools of tuna at once."

The Times goes on to say that instituting such a ban will be a tall order, since two-thirds of the 175 nations that will meet to vote on the measure will have to say yes.

Plus, even if a ban is put in place, individual countries could still opt-out. For instance, Japan, a country that consumes three-fourths of the Bluefin Tuna in the Atlantic, already says they will not abide by such a ban, even if it's approved by a super-majority of Doha delegates.

Captain America
03-09-2010, 10:57 PM
disgusting

Anti Federalist
03-10-2010, 12:44 AM
Totally blown out of proportion story- amazed that ESPN is playing it this way. There is not going to be any ban on all fishing. Just one fish. To quote Paul Harvey, "Now you know the rest of the story", and the story is:
http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978093288

I already made this point in the other thread, but this ^^^ is an international treaty to ban bluefin taking.

The OP is regarding banning fishing by executive decree within the EEZ of the US.

Zippyjuan
03-10-2010, 01:05 AM
Maybe we need to have the two threads on this topic merged.

The article does not state any policy- let alone one which would ban all fishing in the US. All it says is that public input on any future policy has ended. Anything more than that is merely speculation.

To quote the article:

it appears that the task force will issue a final report for "marine spatial planning" by late March, with President Barack Obama then issuing an Executive Order to implement its recommendations — whatever they may be.

(emphasis added).