PDA

View Full Version : Out of state letters to NH problems

klamath
10-08-2007, 12:29 PM
For those of us that are writing to NH papers from out of state this is what I was told.
"The vast majority of letters we are getting for your candidate are from out of state. Don't mind running a few, but by past reaction your doing more harm than good. Our readers note the lack of in-state addresses on candidates."

We may have to think about our stratigy.

klamath
10-08-2007, 02:31 PM
What I forgot to mention was that when I emailed my letter in I forgot to put my home location and telephone number. Within a minute I got a personal email back asking for my location and telephone number and basically telling me to edit it down to 350 words. I think it would have been published but when he read that I was from CA he sent that response.

ronpaulitician
10-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Free State Project to the rescue?

ghemminger
10-08-2007, 02:38 PM
With elitism like that it doesn't make me feel sorry for them that other states are challenging their 1st place in line.....if they want to represent the country they need to be more accomadating then that

ItsTime
10-08-2007, 02:39 PM
if they wont talk about him, how will they know that they want them to talk about it? does that make sense?

BW4Paul
10-08-2007, 02:46 PM
With elitism like that it doesn't make me feel sorry for them that other states are challenging their 1st place in line.....if they want to represent the country they need to be more accomadating then that
Nah, it's not elitism. I actually agree with the paper-- if they're a local paper then they should be seeking to represent the thoughts of their citizenry. Isn't that sort of local politicking right up Paul's alley?

I agree with ronpaulitician that it'd be good to get FSP involved with some letter writing if we possibly could. :)

ghemminger
10-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Nah, it's not elitism. I actually agree with the paper-- if they're a local paper then they should be seeking to represent the thoughts of their citizenry. Isn't that sort of local politicking right up Paul's alley?

I agree with ronpaulitician that it'd be good to get FSP involved with some letter writing if we possibly could. :)

I see your point but the problem is NH because they are close to FIRST DO represent me and have a unfair or larger effect upon the primaries then CA does....even though CA would be 6th in the world if it becam it's own Country!

How fair is it that a small state has more influence in the primaries then mine?

BW4Paul
10-08-2007, 02:52 PM
How fair is it that a small state has more influence in the primaries then mine?
It's not fair-- but that's not the NH paper's fault, either.

Look, we have *plenty* of NH Paul supporters on these boards. Why not encourage them to write letters?

wbbgjr
10-08-2007, 02:53 PM

I can see their point of view, but..

They must be too used to the politicians pandering and making promises to specific states.

I would have thought the Presidency is a national issue.

I don't think people should be discouraged about writing to the press out there. These days the internet portion of the media is getting more important. Even if we are out of state we are considered readers and any bit of polite respectful commment helps. I get a surprisingly frequent amount of personally written replies from these writers. I think it's because I butter them up first...

Corydoras
10-08-2007, 02:54 PM

Take a look at this:
http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2007/10/08/presidential_primary/

ghemminger
10-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Take a look at this:

Whoa glanced thru it - the more I learn about straw polls, delgates, cuacases, primaries, party systems - the more it feels like the Fed Reserve!!!

The process is sick...

klamath
10-08-2007, 03:13 PM
This guy has since written back and told me to pass it on to the campaign. I told him I didn't work for the campaign and he came back with "I thought you might know someone.
I guess we could read into this that he wants us to quit flooding them with letters or he might be hinting for us to get the letters sent through people in NH. What is your take. He maybe trying to help the campaign?

ghemminger
10-08-2007, 03:19 PM
This guy has since written back and told me to pass it on to the campaign. I told him I didn't work for the campaign and he came back with "I thought you might know someone.
I guess we could read into this that he wants us to quit flooding them with letters or he might be hinting for us to get the letters sent through people in NH. What is your take. He maybe trying to help the campaign?

I think he is honestly trying to help us - but he needs to understand that there is a STORY HERE!! Gently explain to him that the entire COUNTRY understands NH's significance and influence over the ENTIRE country and that the flood of comments/letters from different states represents this fact.

I am shocked and disturbed by what I hear from Iowan and NH voters - apparently it hasn't been explained to them that they - -in the current process MUST hear from their fellow citizens - because they under the current system have an unbalanced impact upon future voters....

klamath
10-08-2007, 03:24 PM
This is the last paragraph of my letter.

"Ron Paul is a man that has been married to the same woman for 50 years and stands by his principals even if it means standing against his party. He is a congressman that raises most of his contributions from small donors because big money knows his votes cannot be bought. He stands by his oath to defend the constitution, even when it is not popular. Paul voted against going into Iraq when most all America wanted to kick ass for he alone amongst the Republicans and most of the Democrats running had the foresight of what it would lead to and knew it was wrong to began with.
I urge the people of NH that hold that critical, extremely important job of being the gatekeepers of the primary season to please vote for Ron Paul so that us in the following primaries can have a debate on this issue that is spilling the blood of some of America’s best young men and women.

Ssg Joel Horn Ret."

Syren123
10-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Take a look at this:

Veeeerrry interesting.

Geronimo
10-08-2007, 05:13 PM
This week, I submitted a letter to the editor to almost every NH paper. Since I live in NH I might have some luck getting it published in papers that aren't really near my town.

I want to make sure that people are aware of a new deadline for voters in NH. This information was not posted on the state website until October 3, 2007, and only a small handful of NH papers gave this news any attention. NH now has a closed primary. If you've voted Democrat in the past and want to vote for a Republican you must change your voter registration to either Republican or Undeclared by Friday October 12th, or you might not be able to vote for the candidate of your choice. Vice versa if you want to vote for a Democrat. If you originally registered as Undeclared the state may have changed your party status if you voted for a person of a specific party last time. Go to the town hall and ask them for proof of which party you are registered under. A safe bet is to register as Undeclared, but remember that you only have less than two days to do this.

Registering as Undeclared will allow you to gain a little more information before deciding on a candidate or a party. If you're unhappy with both parties please take the time to check out Ron Paul. His popularity stretches across both party lines, bringing together people who are unhappy with the political path that their party has chosen. Do your own online video research on Ron Paul and you'll soon find out why he is probably the mainstream media/government's best kept secret. Every president swears to uphold the Constitution, though we all know that following through with that promise isn't a very common practice. Over the years both political parties have strayed so far from the ideals of our founding fathers that the notion of living by the words of our constitution is considered to be a radical political move. Ron Paul's message of actually living up to the words of our founding fathers and obeying our constitution shouldn't need to be considered a revolutionary act. A teacher once told me that sometimes it's best to go back and actually read the directions before we can understand the mistakes that we've made.

Do a little research on Ron Paul and ask yourself if the current state of our country is something that our founding fathers warned us about. Thomas Jefferson once said "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent". In this day and age of fraudulent elections I ask that you not remain silent, and that you get out there and vote in the primaries for whoever you feel will bring this country back to where it should be.

d_goddard
10-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Lord help me, I've been totally immersed in NH grassroots politics for the past few years. As a "Free-Stater", I've made it my business to get more involved with the political scene here than I ever have been in my life anywhere else.

As someone who is working like a dog, doing everything in my power to deliver New Hampshire for Dr. Paul... please, please, do not barrage New Hampshire newspapers with any kind of message if you're out-of-state.

I don't care whether you think it's fair.
I don't care how important the message is.
If people here feel like "out of staters" are gaming a candidate, the visceral, emotional reaction is almost impossible for those of us "on the ground" to undo.

The NH-based Ron Paul meetup groups have already organized LTE campaigns from people within the state. I get the Concord Monitor at home and hardly a day goes by that there isn't a pro-Ron Paul LTE there already, from a "local person" -- in fact, one from my wife (http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071006/OPINION/710060349/0/ENTERTAINMENT05) appeared in the Saturday edition :)

I applaud everyone's efforts, especially the Pro-Paul newspaper ads (and I chipped in $ to help with those). The ads are a great help; out-of-state LTEs are not.

Thanks again.

klamath
10-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Lord help me, I've been totally immersed in NH grassroots politics for the past few years. As a "Free-Stater", I've made it my business to get more involved with the political scene here than I ever have been in my life anywhere else.

As someone who is working like a dog, doing everything in my power to deliver New Hampshire for Dr. Paul... please, please, do not barrage New Hampshire newspapers with any kind of message if you're out-of-state.

I don't care whether you think it's fair.
I don't care how important the message is.
If people here feel like "out of staters" are gaming a candidate, the visceral, emotional reaction is almost impossible for those of us "on the ground" to undo.

The NH-based Ron Paul meetup groups have already organized LTE campaigns from people within the state. I get the Concord Monitor at home and hardly a day goes by that there isn't a pro-Ron Paul LTE there already, from a "local person" -- in fact, one from my wife (http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071006/OPINION/710060349/0/ENTERTAINMENT05) appeared in the Saturday edition :)

I applaud everyone's efforts, especially the Pro-Paul newspaper ads (and I chipped in $ to help with those). The ads are a great help; out-of-state LTEs are not.

Thanks again.

This is the kind of information I wanted to bring out with this thread. Is this the general opinion of the NH residents? If we are hurting RP's campaign writing, we need to get this information well known. The last thing we want to do is put our sweat and effort into something that is actually hurting Paul's chances.

ItsTime
10-08-2007, 06:41 PM
If someone will write me up a nice LTE and PM me with it Ill send it out to the news papers. It must be pro Paul not anti newspaper thanks :)

d_goddard
10-08-2007, 06:46 PM
If someone will write me up a nice LTE and PM me with it Ill send it out to the news papers. It must be pro Paul not anti newspaper thanks :)

Way to go.. thanks!
I've PMed you with a handy list of links direct to all the New Hampshire newspapers' online LTE submission pages.
Now you just need an LTE to submit :)

me3
10-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Folks need to be a lot more polite and friendly when writing. I recently wrote to a Detroit Newspaper, and this was the response from the editor.

<snipped/>

And as for the Internet army, you are correct. I'm getting e-mails from
across the nation. Interestingly, many of his supporters ignore the
praise and focus on the criticism. They need to take it and run with it
rather than scream and name call because I challenged their candidate.

Thanks for the feedback,
Needless to say, some people are rubbing the editors the wrong way.

Geronimo
10-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Is this the general opinion of the NH residents?

It's my opinion as well. But I don't think any real harm has been done. If anything the local newspapers are seeing an influx of letters to the editor like they've never seen before. The Nashua Telegraph has made a point to mention that they've got so many letters to the editor lately that they can't possibly print them all.

ItsTime
10-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Way to go.. thanks!
I've PMed you with a handy list of links direct to all the New Hampshire newspapers' online LTE submission pages.
Now you just need an LTE to submit :)

Thank you very much.

Also the meet up groups are doing a LTE twice this month as well:
http://ronpaul.meetup.com/6/

klamath
10-10-2007, 10:32 PM
bump

libertythor
10-10-2007, 10:38 PM
A lot of people in the US are distrustful of stuff that could be considered "California ideals". Trust me..when the Coast Guard stationed me in San Diego people told me that I was going to the land of "fruits and nuts".

The paper at least did the favor of warning. Its not as bad as letter coming in from England or France.....but can look bad nonetheless.

klamath
10-10-2007, 10:44 PM
He wasn't just talking about people from California. Read the other statements from the guys from NH. They are imploring people to not write from out of state.