PDA

View Full Version : Fed's Sack: The Fed Will Be Embarking On A Tightening Cycle Like No Other In History

bobbyw24
03-09-2010, 06:01 AM
Fed's Brian Sack: "The Fed Will Be Embarking On A Tightening Cycle Like No Other In Its History"

From Brian P. Sack, Executive Vice President. Recall that Brian is the de-facto head of the Fed's "markets group" operation located on the 9th Floor of Liberty 33. If there is indeed a Plunge Protection Team, Brian is likely the PM who runs it.

Remarks at the National Association for Business Economics Policy Conference, Arlington, Virginia

Thank you for inviting me to speak today. In my remarks, I will provide an update on the progress that the Federal Reserve is making toward preparing for a smooth exit from the extraordinary policy actions that were taken in response to the financial crisis.1

I should note up front that I will not be providing any information about the likely timing of policy tightening; those decisions will be made and communicated by the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC). Instead, I will focus my comments on the policy tools and strategy that are likely to be used whenever that exit becomes appropriate. I will also discuss the preparedness of financial markets for the Fed's exit, in order to assess how financial conditions may evolve as the exit approaches and gets under way.

When the time comes to tighten monetary policy, the Federal Reserve will be embarking on a tightening cycle like no other in its history. First, this tightening cycle will have two policy dimensions, in that the FOMC will have to decide on the path of its asset holdings in addition to the path of the short-term interest rate. Second, we will be using tools to drain reserves that are new and that will have to be implemented on a scale that the Fed has never before tried. And third, we will be operating in a framework of interest on reserves that has not been fully tested in U.S. markets.

All of that may sound risky. However, I believe the Federal Reserve is positioned to minimize any risks involved. Most important, we have worked hard to ensure that we have all of the tools needed to exit, and FOMC members have begun to describe a strategy for using them that is cautious along several dimensions. In addition, if we communicate effectively, the markets should be clearly informed and well prepared ahead of the exit. These are the points that I will emphasize in more detail.

Liquidity Facilities: A Success Story

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/feds-brian-sack-fed-will-be-embarking-tightening-cycle-no-other-its-history

hugolp
03-09-2010, 06:02 AM
Yeah right.

Blueskies
03-09-2010, 06:16 AM
Call.

*slides in chips*