PDA

View Full Version : Lorenzo Gaztanaga for MD-2

LibertyMage
03-08-2010, 08:16 PM
The Baltimore Campaign for Liberty recently hosted Lorenzo Gaztanaga (L) at our March chapter meeting. He gave an emotional and inspiring speech that I think you will enjoy. You can find the audio of the event here:

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=10930

Please support him if you believe in him as a candidate.

http://www.md.lp.org/candidates/2/

RP4EVER
03-09-2010, 02:35 AM
Liberty: isn't his wife running for Governor?

Nathan Hale
03-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Unfortunately he's running as a libertarian. There currently isn't a GOP challenger listed on politics1.com. He should run as a Republican.

LibertyMage
03-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Yes, his wife is running for Governor as a Libertarian.

He actually talks about people advising he run as a Republican in the audio.

Nathan Hale
03-09-2010, 09:23 PM
He actually talks about people advising he run as a Republican in the audio.

Hopefully he takes their advice.

RP4EVER
03-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Nathan: The Republican Party is not the answer............ the RINO's in charge even disparaged their donors calling them "reactionary and prone to dangerous thoughts"

Nathan Hale
03-10-2010, 07:19 AM
Nathan: The Republican Party is not the answer............ the RINO's in charge even disparaged their donors calling them "reactionary and prone to dangerous thoughts"

Well the RINOs aren't totally in charge any more. Liberty candidates are major players in the races in which we are involved. The GOP is currently rudderless, and the various factions are still vying for positioning. 2010 and 2012 will determine who takes control. We can be that controlling faction.

Hell, in a perfect world, I agree with you. The GOP is not the answer. But this isn't the perfect world. And unfortunately the way we vote requires that you run under one of the legacy banners. There are always exceptions, of course, but they are rare cases usually involving a huge war chest, some degree of celebrity, or prior major elected experience. And even in those cases the preferred method is to run under no party label rather than one of the baggage-heavy third party labels.

RP4EVER
03-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Actually: the GOP was once a third party; as soon as people understand we don't need a party banner to win....things change. Take a look at elections in Pennsylvania; Nevada; Montana and New Hampshire.

All of them have elected another party candidate in partisan races BECAUSE people dropped the "lesser of two evils" mentality. Quit advocating the GOP and by extension drop the lies or we'll never change anything.

As for the RINO's they are still in charge of the purse strings; which is a reality you and others must face. Based on what I have seen it is my opinion not one freedom candidate past Marco Rubio and Rand Paul even have a shot at being elected as a Republican; and mark my words if they figure out how to push those two back they will.

Nathan Hale
03-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Actually: the GOP was once a third party;

160 years ago.

as soon as people understand we don't need a party banner to win....things change. Take a look at elections in Pennsylvania; Nevada; Montana and New Hampshire. All of them have elected another party candidate in partisan races BECAUSE people dropped the "lesser of two evils" mentality.

Per my previous post, there are rare cases of third party success, but it's no sign of rejection of the system's infrastructure, because if it were those elections wouldn't be one-off flukes, they'd be voting trends. You think that you can educate your way out of this. I think that's entirely possible, just entirely unlikely.

Quit advocating the GOP and by extension drop the lies or we'll never change anything.

It's easier to work within the framework than attempt to change the framework. Work within the GOP and we're capable of winning elections TODAY and affect change soon. Advocate a third party and MAYBE we'll educate the people to the point where change might happen in some far flung future. I'll take the former. I don't care what letter appears next to the name, so long as the candidate is an effective advocate for liberty.

As for the RINO's they are still in charge of the purse strings; which is a reality you and others must face.

If I'm not mistaken, liberty candidates have little problem getting funded when they're popular among the base. But I won't deny that legacy factions still control the legacy institutions, but those institutions blow where the wind blows. The key is the ability to get elected.

Based on what I have seen it is my opinion not one freedom candidate past Marco Rubio and Rand Paul even have a shot at being elected as a Republican; and mark my words if they figure out how to push those two back they will.

We'll find out soon.

LibertyMage
03-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Is Marco Rubio really considered a "freedom candidate"?