PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a book?

Elwar
03-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Ok, I'm taking a Corporate Finance course for my Master's degree in IT management. One of the requirements is to read a book outside of the course book.

The book must be on some aspect of finance, investments, business management, or related subject, and must be more advanced than an elementary level primer.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for something that would be fun to read and isn't too long (I'm not much of a reader).

Thanks.

nayjevin
03-08-2010, 08:59 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Rich-Dads-Conspiracy-Rules-Money/dp/0446559806

Rich Dad's Conspiracy of the Rich - Robert Kiyosaki
'
Might not be advanced enough I don't know, but it's the first thing I thought of. I haven't read it yet.

llepard
03-08-2010, 09:06 AM
The Dollar Meltdown by Charles Goyette is an excellent book.

angelatc
03-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Some guy named Tom Woods wrote a book called "Meltdown" that I've heard quite a bit about.

randolphfuller
03-08-2010, 09:56 AM
"Our Enemy, the State" by Albert J. Nock is eloquently written and not terribly long, It is for laymen.

Von_Mises
03-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Human Action: A Treatise on Economics

RCA
03-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Take your pick:

Adventure Capitalist: The Ultimate Road Trip by Jim Rogers
Against the Gods: The Remarkable Story of Risk by Peter L. Bernstein
America's Bubble Economy: Profit When It Pops by David Wiedemer, et al.
At the Crest of the Tidal Wave: A Forecast for the Great Bear Market by Robert R. Prechter Jr.
Bull in China, A: Investing Profitably in the World's Greatest Market by Jim Rogers
Capital Ideas Evolving by Peter L. Bernstein
Collapse of the Dollar and How to Profit from It, The: Make a Fortune by Investing in Gold and Other Hard Assets by James Turk and John Rubino
Conquer the Crash: You Can Survive and Prosper in a Deflationary Depression by Robert R. Prechter Jr.
Crash Proof by Peter D. Schiff
Demise of the Dollar..., The: And Why It's Even Better for Your Investments by Addison Wiggin
Demon of Our Own Design, A: Markets, Hedge Funds, and the Perils of Financial Innovation by Richard Bookstaker
Devil Take the Hindmost: A History of Financial Speculation by Edward Chancellor
Dollar Crisis, The: Causes, Consequences, Cures by Richard Duncan
Economic Time Bomb, The: How You Can Profit From the Emerging Crises by Harry Browne
Empire of Debt: The Rise of an Epic Financial Crisis by William Bonner and Addison Wiggin
Essays of Warren Buffett, The: Lessons for Corporate America by Warren E. Buffett
Fail-Safe Investing: Lifelong Financial Security in 30 Minutes by Harry Browne
Financial Armageddon: Protecting Your Future from Four Impending Catastrophes by Michael J. Panzner
Handbook of Inflation Hedging Investments, The: Enhance Performance and Protect Your Portfolio from Inflation Risk by Robert Greer
Hot Commodities: How Anyone Can Invest Profitably in the World's Best Market by Jim Rogers
How to Trade In Stocks by Jesse Livermore
How You Can Profit From the Coming Devaluation by Harry Browne
Investment Biker: Around the World with Jim Rogers by Jim Rogers
Law of Success, The by Napoleon Hill
Little Book of Bull Moves in Bear Markets, The: How to Keep Your Portfolio Up When the Market is Down by Peter D. Schiff
Manias, Panics, and Crashes: A History of Financial Crises by Charles P. Kindleberger
Millionaire Next Door, The by Thomas J. Stanley and William D. Danko
Mobs, Messiahs, and Markets: Surviving the Public Spectacle in Finance and Politics by William Bonner and Lila Rajiva
Money Game, The by Adam Smith (George Goodman)
Overspent American, The: Why We Want What We Don't Need by Juliet B. Schor
Richest Man in Babylon, The by George S. Clason
Reminiscences of a Stock Operator by Edwin Lefevre
Silver Profits in the New Century by Theodore Butler
Think and Grow Rich! by Napoleon Hill
Tightwad Gazette, Complete by Amy Dacyczyn
Way to Wealth, The by Benjamin Franklin
Why the Best-Laid Investment Plans Usually Go Wrong & How You Can Find Safety & Profit in an Uncertain World by Harry Browne
You Can Profit From a Monetary Crisis by Harry Browne

mtj458
03-08-2010, 11:35 AM
I've heard great things about Jim Rogers' books. I haven't read them yet so I'm not sure if they'd be technical enough, but they deal mostly with international finance.

Elwar
03-09-2010, 11:26 AM
I think I'll download the audio book of Peter Schiff's Crash Proof 2.0. I'll be able to listen to it during my commute.

specialK
03-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Just bought End the Fed by Ron Paul. So far, it's been great.

BuddyRey
03-09-2010, 04:19 PM
"What Has Government Done to our Money?" by Murray N. Rothbard