PDA

View Full Version : Impact of Ron Paul

RedRider
10-08-2007, 11:16 AM
I just wanted to get this out in the open, for all those that are afraid we might lose in the upcoming primary election.

Ron Paul has quite simply changed my life. This isn't a fad, or a passing item of interest to me. Watching him during the debate where he went back and forth with Huckabee was simply awesome. Prior to that debate I was a Fred Thomson supporter, but here was a man that wasn't afraid to challenge (REALLY challenge) the whole system. What did that do for me? It caused me to question a lot of what I had previously thought was just 'the way things are.' Suddenly I was googling all the issues Ron Paul was talking about, and I started learning. And then I saw Money as Debt. Wow, that blew my mind. I looked elsewhere, trying to confirm what I had saw in that animated feature and lo and behold, I discovered that fractional reserve banking REALLY DOES EXIST.

I thought I was a reasonably educated man. I hold a bachelor degree in Meteorology. Never had I heard about fractional reserve banking. I had no idea how money was created, and I never considered how money has value. Just seeing Ron Paul in that one debate caused me to discover all of this on my own.

I never thought to question the Iraq war. As an active duty military member I had always blindly swallowed the koolaid about how we're doing the right thing in Iraq. Oh, there were the occasional doubts (hard not to have them when you're over there), and shrugging them off was becoming more and more difficult. Seeing Ron Paul in a debate was enough to give me enough courage to question myself and my government.

If he had that impact on me, what about others? Obviously most people on this forum had a similar experience. Some have been a part of the movement for far longer, and others are like me - brand, spanking new. I'd wager a fair amount that right now one or more people who are just curious after hearing or seeing Ron Paul on the TV, radio, newspaper or internet are reading this forum right now, trying to find out for themselves what all the hubbub is about.

This is not just about the presidency. This is a political movement.

I'm looking forward to Tuesday's debate! :cool:

risiusj
10-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Ron Paul changed me as well.
Before I knew about Ron Paul, the only thing I knew was that Bush sucks, the Fed sucks, and we're going to go bankrupt.
Those are all still true, but I have a sense of direction. I know what this country needs.

jonahtrainer
10-08-2007, 11:21 AM
I just wanted to get this out in the open, for all those that are afraid we might lose in the upcoming primary election.

Ron Paul has quite simply changed my life. This isn't a fad, or a passing item of interest to me. Watching him during the debate where he went back and forth with Huckabee was simply awesome. Prior to that debate I was a Fred Thomson supporter, but here was a man that wasn't afraid to challenge (REALLY challenge) the whole system. What did that do for me? It caused me to question a lot of what I had previously thought was just 'the way things are.' Suddenly I was googling all the issues Ron Paul was talking about, and I started learning. And then I saw Money as Debt. Wow, that blew my mind. I looked elsewhere, trying to confirm what I had saw in that animated feature and lo and behold, I discovered that fractional reserve banking REALLY DOES EXIST.

I thought I was a reasonably educated man. I hold a bachelor degree in Meteorology. Never had I heard about fractional reserve banking. I had no idea how money was created, and I never considered how money has value. Just seeing Ron Paul in that one debate caused me to discover all of this on my own.

I never thought to question the Iraq war. As an active duty military member I had always blindly swallowed the koolaid about how we're doing the right thing in Iraq. Oh, there were the occasional doubts (hard not to have them when you're over there), and shrugging them off was becoming more and more difficult. Seeing Ron Paul in a debate was enough to give me enough courage to question myself and my government.

If he had that impact on me, what about others? Obviously most people on this forum had a similar experience. Some have been a part of the movement for far longer, and others are like me - brand, spanking new. I'd wager a fair amount that right now one or more people who are just curious after hearing or seeing Ron Paul on the TV, radio, newspaper or internet are reading this forum right now, trying to find out for themselves what all the hubbub is about.

Welcome to the Freedom movement! This will be akin to the Civil Rights movement in my opinion.

You may want to use GoldMoney.com (http://www.goldmoney.com) and read this essay (http://zealllc.com/2002/digigold.htm). The world is changing very quickly and the future for Freedom has never looked brighter! :cool:

He has changed me as well; I'm seriously considering running for Congress this next election. Should be fun!

dude58677
10-08-2007, 11:21 AM

Welcome aboard.:)

davidkachel
10-08-2007, 11:23 AM
... but here was a man that wasn't afraid to challenge (REALLY challenge) the whole system.

What's really amazing is when you listen to an honest and open man like Ron Paul speak, then listen to the other candidates, how very clear it is that they are lying and don't believe a thing they are saying. (Which is OK I guess, since they aren't really saying anything anyway!)

dude58677
10-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Welcome to the Freedom movement! This will be akin to the Civil Rights movement in my opinion.

You may want to use GoldMoney.com (http://www.goldmoney.com) and read this essay (http://zealllc.com/2002/digigold.htm). The world is changing very quickly and the future for Freedom has never looked brighter! :cool:

No this is the American Revolution again only instead of a war it is an election. The cause is nearly identical, we are fighting a corrupt centralized government as a whole and the principles are identical to the founders/colonists as well such as no income tax and no policing the world. I never thought in my lifetime I would be part of anything like this.:)

Original_Intent
10-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Welcome. Very inspiring intro post. Glad to have you!

maggiebott
10-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Great thread and the message is clear to us all. We see thru all the bullshit and the truth Ron Paul speaks gives me great hope for the future of the world.

My life also has been altered now that I see the entire pattern of the elitists. If ever in your life you could spare a donation for this true patriot, now is the time. I'm maxed out on mine but now ask friends and relatives to contribute.

kylejack
10-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Red Rider, that is a very inspiring testimonial. I applaud you for your willingness to challenge your beliefs. You've got a lot of Youtube watching ahead of you, heh.

Some other stuff:

Ron Paul audio: http://ronpaulaudio.com
Ron Paul's writings: http://ronpaullibrary.com
Videos of Meetup activists: http://ronpaulmeetupvideos.com

Join your local Meetup group for local activism. http://ronpaul.meetup.com - 52,000 of us so far

JPFromTally
10-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Sometimes I regret taking the red pill and seeing how far the rabbit hole actually goes. I look at some of my naive friends, who neither care or worry about the current state of affairs past how well their favorite football teams are doing, and I sometimes envy their blissful ignorance.

DrNoZone
10-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Sometimes I regret taking the red pill and seeing how far the rabbit hole actually goes. I look at some of my naive friends, who neither care or worry about the current state of affairs past how well their favorite football teams are doing, and I sometimes envy their blissful ignorance.

Yeah, I'm with you on that.

adpierce
10-08-2007, 11:36 AM
So here's my question, if Ron doesn't get nominated what's next for this movement? I hate to postulate the worst, but although we have a ton of momentum the question is whether the Republican party will allow the structure of the primary process by making open primaries closed or moving them back earlier and earlier will allow this movement to take hold in a way that will result in Ron Paul getting elected. If we simply don't have enough time we have to have something else planned. I know Ron Paul doesn't want to run 3rd party... do we offer a petition with a massive amount of signers to change his mind? Do we start our own third party and run a guy who embodies many of the things Ron Paul has been saying... (Obviously it can't hold the weight that Dr. Paul could because of his record and experience). Do we continue to try to reform the republican party to remember it's paleo-conservative roots? Do we simply support the libertarian party, despite the fact that many of us do like the policies that Dr. Paul differs with the Libs over.

I personally think that there needs to be provisions for the worst-case scenario. The movement absolutely can't die if Dr. Paul isn't nominated. These ideas are too powerful to allow to sit in quiet resignation for as long as they have. I would love to hear what your ideas are.

kylejack
10-08-2007, 11:37 AM
So here's my question, if Ron doesn't get nominated what's next for this movement? I hate to postulate the worst, but although we have a ton of momentum the question is whether the Republican party will allow the structure of the primary process by making open primaries closed or moving them back earlier and earlier will allow this movement to take hold in a way that will result in Ron Paul getting elected. If we simply don't have enough time we have to have something else planned. I know Ron Paul doesn't want to run 3rd party... do we offer a petition with a massive amount of signers to change his mind? Do we start our own third party and run a guy who embodies many of the things Ron Paul has been saying... (Obviously it can't hold the weight that Dr. Paul could because of his record and experience). Do we continue to try to reform the republican party to remember it's paleo-conservative roots? Do we simply support the libertarian party, despite the fact that many of us do like the policies that Dr. Paul differs with the Libs over.

I personally think that there needs to be provisions for the worst-case scenario. The movement absolutely can't die if Dr. Paul isn't nominated. These ideas are too powerful to allow to sit in quiet resignation for as long as they have. I would love to hear what your ideas are.
There's a topic on this already. Discuss it there.

plopolp
10-08-2007, 11:42 AM
So, you took the red pill...

risiusj
10-08-2007, 11:46 AM

I was just thinking about this the other day.
Are we happier knowing how much we're getting screwed?
Until I found out about Ron Paul I thought that I'd be happier if I were ignorant.

RedRider
10-08-2007, 11:49 AM
So, you took the red pill...

Yes - my family and friends think I'm a quack, but that's to be expected. A year ago I probably would have said the same. Red pill, indeed...

Original_Intent
10-08-2007, 12:02 PM

Misery loves company, which is onee reason we work hard to wake others up from that state. All of my Youtube videos (except for the music video) couch things in a "Take the Red Pill" context - it really fits this movement.

The big difference is in the Matrix one assumes that if you don't wake up you still live a happy, productive though ultimately meaningless life. In our current situation, we are just a few puzzle pieces being put into place and then everyone will be forceably awakened to the fact that they are in truth, slaves.

Pete
10-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Welcome, RedRider!

I stumbled onto RP after reading a column by candidate John Cox at Town Hall. He made me wonder what other minority candidates might be about, so I wound up on Ron Paul's website. He sounded awfully good, though I didn't agree with him re: the war. I was, however, onto our spending/debt/trade deficit problem so I kept reading. His "Questions that Won't be Asked about Iraq" started opening my eyes about the war. After some more deliberation, I was a neocon no more.

The YouTubes from the NH debate had a big effect on me, and my wife, too. Arguing Ron Paul's case on Free Republic cinched it for me, especially after getting kicked off!

This was all in September, and I've been continuing to read and learn. Similar to others' experience, I feel like the scales have fallen from my eyes, and I know that this is a unique moment in history.

stevedasbach
10-08-2007, 12:42 PM

I "took the red pill" three decades ago. No regrets.

inibo
10-08-2007, 01:13 PM

Ron Paul has quite simply changed my life...

I haven't heard so many people giving testimonies like this since I was at a gospel camp meeting. I honestly believe we are witnessing a spiritual transformation in our country devoid of theological baggage. We are seeing Christians, Jews, Muslims, Pagans, Agnostics and Atheists all being elevated by this message: Freedom can be yours if you'll but grasp it; the only cost is that you must share it with others.

Hope is magnificent.

kylejack
10-08-2007, 01:17 PM
I haven't heard so many people giving testimonies like this since I was at a gospel camp meeting. I honestly believe we are witnessing a spiritual transformation in our country devoid of theological baggage. We are seeing Christians, Jews, Muslims, Pagans, Agnostics and Atheists all being elevated by this message: Freedom can be yours if you'll but grasp it; the only cost is that you must share it with others.

Hope is magnificent.

And send $2300 for victory. ;)

FreedomLover
10-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Former bush-lover and fredhead here. You are not alone.

jonahtrainer
10-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Former bush-lover and fredhead here. You are not alone.

Did you come from the fredthompsonforum.com? :eek: