PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul recognizes the New Orleans Saints as the soul of New Orleans [HR 1079]

Austin
03-06-2010, 02:48 PM
[/URL][url]http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=hr111-1079 (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=hr111-1079)

Resolved, That the House of Representatives--

(1) congratulates the New Orleans Saints, the team’s coaches and players, and the loyal members of the ‘Who Dat’ Nation on winning Super Bowl XLIV; and

(2) recognizes--
(A) the New Orleans Saints as the soul of New Orleans; and
(B) the significant contributions made by the team in the recovery efforts of New Orleans, Louisiana, and the Gulf Coast Region.
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2010/roll091.xml#Y (http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2010/roll091.xml#Y)

Interesting, to say the least...

MRoCkEd
03-06-2010, 02:52 PM
lol
It's hilarious that congress wastes time on these resolutions. I'm not complaining though... less time destroying freedom.

specsaregood
03-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Interesting, to say the least...
Why is it interesting? I can't see why he wouldn't recognize a private organization for helping out with hurricane relief efforts. I'm sure he would do all he could to encourage it.

dannno
03-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Hmmm, well, I can't see anything in the bill anywhere that the government actually promises to do anything. It also recognized a private company/individual for helping to rebuild New Orleans Superdome after the Hurricane.

MRoCkEd
03-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Hmmm, well, I can't see anything in the bill anywhere that the government actually promises to do anything. It also recognized a private company/individual for helping to rebuild New Orleans Superdome after the Hurricane.
Yeah... Ron Paul will approve a bill that honors Rosa Parks, but he won't approve one that uses stolen money to give her a medal.

Austin
03-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Where is it authorized in the Constitution?

Slutter McGee
03-06-2010, 03:15 PM

Its not. But I am glad he voted for it. Not smart to lose the entire Louisiana voting block because of one vote on a meaningless resolution.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

specsaregood
03-06-2010, 03:18 PM

Since it isn't costing us anything, and it isn't legislation.....I guess one could argue the 1st amendment.

erowe1
03-06-2010, 03:22 PM

You could argue that it's not exercising any power that is not enumerated, since it is not exercising any power at all.

I'm not really sure what it is that determines when RP votes for simple House resolutions like this and when he votes against them. But from the ones I've noticed, it seems like he votes against them when they express some commitment on the part of Congress to legislate things in the future that he would be likely not to support. The recent one expressing condolences to Haiti where he was the lone no vote included some kind of expression of commitment to future legislative support like that, for example.

Juan McCain
03-06-2010, 03:23 PM
lol
. . . I'm not complaining though... less time destroying freedom.

congratulates the New Orleans Saints . . .
. . . recognizes the significant contributions made by the team in the recovery efforts of New Orleans, Louisiana, and the Gulf Coast Region.

Sports accomplishments can maybe deflect the general failure by most in Congress to uphold the Constitution and protect the people's liberties ? . . .
I dunno, I got nothing really.

Andrew-Austin
03-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Why is it interesting? I can't see why he wouldn't recognize a private organization for helping out with hurricane relief efforts. I'm sure he would do all he could to encourage it.

Hasn't he voted no on similar meaningless but politically correct declarations in the past?

Oh and LOL @ New Orleans and football fanatics. The "soul" of New Orleans? Give me a fucking break, is football becoming a religion or what.

Slutter McGee
03-06-2010, 03:25 PM
That is it. I have had it. Ron Paul is just not pure enough for me. He is obviously a traitor and a neo-con who doesn't believe in the constitution.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Austin
03-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Some of the responses here are telling. If this vote had been 434-1 with Ron being the lonely dissenter, we would have been praising him to no end.

:cool: ;)

specsaregood
03-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Hasn't he voted no on similar meaningless but politically correct declarations in the past?

I think if you looked at it you would find the ones he voted against all either cost us money, indicated forethought to spending money in the future OR represented some type of foreign intervention.

Since his philosophy is to encourage private entities to support charity, I can't think of why he would vote against this.

specsaregood
03-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Some of the responses here are telling. If this vote had been 434-1 with Ron being the lonely dissenter, we would have been praising him to no end.

If he had voted against it, no doubt somebody would have found a good reason to vote that way by now. :D

TheConstitutionLives
03-06-2010, 03:28 PM

You just want to bitch about something that doesn't matter. Waste your time on something that means something instead of dissecting petty issues.

Austin
03-06-2010, 03:31 PM
You just want to bitch about something that doesn't matter. Waste your time on something that means something instead of dissecting petty issues.

That's simply not true. This vote doesn't change anything for me. I still support Ron Paul to the fullest. It's an interesting topic for discussion, nothing more. :)

And get off your high horse about 'wasting time'.

Slutter McGee
03-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Give me a fucking break, is football becoming a religion or what.

Yes football is a religion. Come move to West Texas if you don't believe me.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

TheConstitutionLives
03-06-2010, 03:35 PM
That's simply not true. This vote doesn't change anything for me. I still support Ron Paul to the fullest. It's an interesting topic for discussion, nothing more. :)

And get off your high horse about 'wasting time'.

If THIS is what your consider "interesting discussion" then you are easily amused. I'm not sure why it is that some people want to over analyze the frivolous.

specsaregood
03-06-2010, 03:35 PM
If THIS is what your consider "interesting discussion" then you are easily amused. I'm not sure why it is that some people want to over analyze the frivolous.

It seems to have sparked your interest as well.

TheConstitutionLives
03-06-2010, 03:38 PM
It seems to have sparked your interest as well.

Whether or not this is an issue of relevance is much more stimulating than the issue itself. ha

Juan McCain
03-06-2010, 03:40 PM
People that have been displaced from New Orleans to states not so close . . .
did find some source of pride in it all.

A couple I now know - even though New Orleans born and raised -
had all throughout the playoffs steadfastly been resolved that the 'Aints would lose . . . each week was a surprise right to the Lombardi Trophy.

specsaregood
03-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Whether or not this is an issue of relevance is much more stimulating than the issue itself. ha

And you have Krippy to thank for starting the thread that has branched off into such a stimulating topic of discussion.

TheConstitutionLives
03-06-2010, 03:44 PM
And you have Krippy to thank for starting the thread that has branched off into such a stimulating topic of discussion.

thank u, krippy

No1ButPaul08
03-06-2010, 04:17 PM
I can't believe people are arguing this. RP votes yes for this type of stuff all the time, as long as no money is spent.

Here he voted yes to commend the Florida Gators for winning the national title.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2009/roll029.xml

LA Lakers

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2009/roll618.xml

NY Yankees

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2009/roll866.xml

LibertarianfromGermany
03-06-2010, 04:37 PM
I can't stand people that go "anti-establishment" just because it's "anti-establishment". If they've done a good job, why not comment them? As long as it doesn't cost any money or violates anyone's rights that is.

silus
03-06-2010, 04:56 PM
WTF does that even mean, 'is recognized as the soul of New Orleans'??? It just sounds so ridiculous.

Brian4Liberty
03-06-2010, 05:19 PM
I can't stand people that go "anti-establishment" just because it's "anti-establishment". If they've done a good job, why not comment them? As long as it doesn't cost any money or violates anyone's rights that is.

Time is money. Did it waste any time? ;)

53 people didn't vote, which is always an option...

Slutter McGee
03-06-2010, 05:36 PM
What is funny is that there are 3 times as many nay votes for the Yankees as there are for the other teams and sports.

Rest assured, if I am ever elected to Congress, I will never vote to congradulate the new york yankees.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

BlackTerrel
03-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Its not. But I am glad he voted for it. Not smart to lose the entire Louisiana voting block because of one vote on a meaningless resolution.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Ditto.

It's pretty meaningless. But voting against such a thing just alienates a bunch of people.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
03-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Being a huge Saints fan I am glad he voted for this resolution.

They do this every year guys, no biggie.

Galileo Galilei
03-06-2010, 11:50 PM

Congressmen have absolute freedom of speech while on the House floor. This is in the original Constitution. They can swear at, cuss, or thank whoever they want.

Shotdown1027
03-07-2010, 12:03 AM
"Oh and LOL @ New Orleans and football fanatics. The "soul" of New Orleans? Give me a fucking break, is football becoming a religion or what."

Clearly you've never been to the South.

Anti Federalist
03-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Who Dat Nation

That was actually included in an "official" House Resolution?

//facepalm//

RedStripe
03-07-2010, 12:15 AM
This is about as important as the latest celebrity scandal.

RedStripe
03-07-2010, 12:15 AM
This is about as important as the latest celebrity scandal.

Actually it's even less important.