PDA

View Full Version : How to boom the economy......

keihatsu
03-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Fixing the US Patent Office would have unexpectedly huge effects. This idea could be implemented in a few days and instantly unleash innovation. Here is how to encourage investments and creativity to boom the economy nearly instantly:

1. initial patent application is posted immediately for the public before a patent clerk ever sees it (website, data feeds to all news outlets, and shared with all other national patent offices).
2. patent fee is reduced to $250 for all patent applications with NO recurring fees.
3. patent clerk reviews ONE application through completion (rather than assembly line).
4. all iterations/re-submissions are immediately updated on the website and released to news agencies and other national patent offices simultaneously.
5. some patents require protection from vulture capitalism and the patent clerk might recommend "protective capital" for patents that might have significant impact on society or might be abused by large monied interests. The funds would never be for investment purposes, but would be released to the inventor without oversight. The patent clerk would argue in the House of Representatives'for approval. Amounts to be kept small (certainly <$25 million). Discussions would ALWAYS be in the House and never in committee or subject to Senate approval. Protective capital might be used by the inventor to locate trusted investors, file international patents, and/or sit on the invention until better conditions existed. C-SPAN and interested people would keep this under control.
6. Newspapers would list ALL patent applications, ALL patent approvals, and also list those patents approved for "protective capital" in a separate section.
7. A separate Trustee office would keep a non-public record of all patent licensees in a secure location.

The above puts the job of policing patent rights and possible infringement onto the inventor and public rather than the patent clerks. It also fuels investment without the need for inventor advertisement. It would stimulate the American economy as world-wide inventors spur innovation into the most trusted patent office on the planet.

Zippyjuan
03-05-2010, 02:56 PM
At present, about 6,000 employees at the US Patent office attempt to handle nearly a half a million patent applications a year. They get paid about $32,000 a year and have about seventeen hours to review each patent. http://www.inventionstatistics.com/Patent_Office.html The office also gets about two million pieces of mail a year to deal with. This does not include time which posting all the info on applications to the internet as the OP proposes.

Would newspaper postings just list the patent number or describe the patent? They see over a thousand a day- every day of the year.

Old Ducker
03-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Interesting ideas. Many inventors (myself included) file provisional patents to establish a filing date. Provisional submissions are not reviewed by an examiner, don't have to be complete and don't even require an attorney of record. The cost is $145 and they expire in a year, but can be refiled. Provisional filers are granted "patent pending" status so the contents can be released to the public domain.

Maintenance fees, although painful for the independent inventor are a good idea since most patents don't result in commercially sucessful products. This is a way to weed them out of the system, since such will be abandoned due to non-payment of fees. It's also true that original patents tend to be revised and refiled if they do result in actual products.

Pending patents are availalbe to the public. Google has a fairly decent patent search feature but I mostly use www.freepatentsonline.com

keihatsu joined RPF in dec 2007 and this is his/her first post???

Original_Intent
03-05-2010, 04:14 PM
keihatsu: If you can't say something nice, don;t say anything at all? or is it Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt?

Welcome! :D

georgiaboy
03-05-2010, 04:24 PM
most patents don't result in commercially sucessful products.

by a factor of well over 90%. Also, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of commercially successful products aren't protected by patents.

keihatsu
03-06-2010, 04:43 PM
If the patents were published immediately (newspaper, website) independent inventors might get some investment capital.

IMO, that maintenance fee just limits the amount of capital an inventor might have to turn the idea into a sellable product. I think a lot of good ideas get buried by lack of publicity and expense.

I emailed this around to a few congress people. Maybe Rand Paul could include this as part of his platform.

Carson
03-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Fix a fundamental flaw!

http://photos.imageevent.com/stokeybob/thenewera/Supersingle640x537.jpg

noxagol
03-06-2010, 09:44 PM
O god that graphic is freaky. It moves when I'm not looking directly at it! NUKE IT FROM ORBIT!

Jeros
03-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Or we could pay zero people $0 to process and enforce patents.

YouTube - Technology and Social Change (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHZdD3WtCHM)

keihatsu
03-07-2010, 12:47 AM
So that idea isn't good enough?

How about this one (fixing your "fundamental flaw"). It can start at a local credit union or at a central bank:

Allowing payment on your debit/credit card with electronic gold or silver would start a process that eliminates money. I have an idea that replaces the banking system by allowing wealth to be transferred rather than paper and digits. Promise Markup Language. All transactions are promises to deliver value.

What has the communication of your performance over time been?

Liberty Star
03-07-2010, 01:27 AM
This is all great but economic boom would not materialize considering current global situation untill one of the following conditions is met:

- We get equal number of arabs and jews elected to US Congress
- Israel ends occupation of Palestinians
- US cuts off all aid to Israel and makes it illegal for parasite lobbies to buy politicians

Until then, global war on terra spendng would keep on rising and economy would keep on skirting recessionary sentiments.

revolutionisnow
03-07-2010, 02:09 AM
What use are patents these days anyways? Any content or device you create is able to be reproduced or cloned in some 3rd world factory where you have no legal jurisdiction and then sold via the internet throughout the world.

keihatsu
03-07-2010, 02:19 AM
What use are patents these days anyways? Any content or device you create is able to be reproduced or cloned in some 3rd world factory where you have no legal jurisdiction and then sold via the internet throughout the world.

Patent law supercedes all other laws. Including maritime. A well-organized patent office with publicity of all new patents (before they are reviewed by patent clerks) creates protection across all jurisdictions.

Jeros
03-07-2010, 03:18 AM
Patent law supercedes all other laws. Including maritime. A well-organized patent office with publicity of all new patents (before they are reviewed by patent clerks) creates protection across all jurisdictions.

What? :confused:

Patent laws protect lawyers and thieves. Patent laws stifle innovation and encourage litigation. Human knowledge is cumulative over generations. Technological advancement is built on incrementalism. Information should not be monopolized. Innovation takes place without government interference for the same reason that profits and losses motivate business without government interference: entrepreneurial necessity.

Are you promoting a super international government body that enforces compulsory laws regulating knowledge?

You obviously know your own side of the argument. Do you know the other side?

Terence Kealey - 'The Myth of Science as a Public Good' on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/4798314)

YouTube - Technology and Social Change (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHZdD3WtCHM&feature=player_embedded)

revolutionisnow
03-07-2010, 03:26 AM

Please tell me how you can enforce patent laws throughout the 3rd world.

JosephTheLibertarian
03-07-2010, 03:32 AM
Fixing the US Patent Office would have unexpectedly huge effects. This idea could be implemented in a few days and instantly unleash innovation. Here is how to encourage investments and creativity to boom the economy nearly instantly:

Yeah, eliminate it.

Why should there be a monopoly in the patent protection industry?

Carson
03-07-2010, 09:04 AM
So that idea isn't good enough?

How about this one (fixing your "fundamental flaw"). It can start at a local credit union or at a central bank:

Allowing payment on your debit/credit card with electronic gold or silver would start a process that eliminates money. I have an idea that replaces the banking system by allowing wealth to be transferred rather than paper and digits. Promise Markup Language. All transactions are promises to deliver value.

What has the communication of your performance over time been?

I'm not sure if your referring to my post or not. Just in case, and just in case if by what you mean is "communication of your performance over time been".

http://photos.imageevent.com/stokeybob/newbegining/2508h-inflationgraph.jpg

This is a chart based on the Consumer Price Index and shows the devaluation of the dollar over time. It happens in a way that while it's happening you don't really notice. Like a frog in a pot of water that the heat has been turn up on. He doesn't really noticed he is being cooked until it is to late.

I have know way of trading outside of all of this to any real amount that would amount to anything.

See the little bumps when they printed up fake money in the past and our currency was devalued during times of war? Now it appears they are at war with all of us. Globally!

Can you see that when the government here prints up fake money at the rate they do you can't put money into a credit union and expect it to amount to anything over inflation.

Since I started working in the seventies they have had to counterfeit the entire money supply at least ten to seventeen times over. When they print it up and spend it they spend it at the value it has for that day. The money in your pocket or savings account or any where you hold it anywhere in the world has the value sucked out of it like a vampire has tapped into it. By the time that dollar they printed works down to you it has been sucked dry.

Old Ducker
03-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Please tell me how you can enforce patent laws throughout the 3rd world.

You can't, but nobody really cares much because the markets are so small. There are various treaties that enforce international patents. It's also very expensive. To obtain patent protection in Europe, Russia, China, Japan, S. Korea, Taiwan, Israel and perhaps Argentina, expect to spend $50,000. Any other country might copy whatever item is described in your claims, but they can't export it to any country in which you have IP protection, so it's seldom done with some exceptions such as pharmaceuticals. To my knowledge at least.

Zippyjuan
03-07-2010, 03:00 PM
How would it be possible to have "electronic gold or silver money"? Electronic money is just electrons. That is already replacing paper currency. Can you email me an ounce to see how it works? Paper, electrons, gold, silver- they are all just mediums of exchange. Today you can have money sent to your account electronically and you can get that converted to gold or silver if you want. Just electronically purchase some gold or silver with money in your account. This idea would do nothing.

Jeros
03-07-2010, 03:13 PM
How would it be possible to have "electronic gold or silver money"? Electronic money is just electrons. That is already replacing paper currency. Can you email me an ounce to see how it works? Paper, electrons, gold, silver- they are all just mediums of exchange. Today you can have money sent to your account electronically and you can get that converted to gold or silver if you want. Just electronically purchase some gold or silver with money in your account. This idea would do nothing.

http://goldmoney.com/index.html

You may be thinking along too literal of lines. Gold can be transacted without ever touching the commodity, which I imagine the previous poster is describing. There is counterparty risk of course, just as there is with many other financial transactions, but markets often perceive the risk as of lower value than the convenience gained.

"Electronic Gold" transactions are physical gold transactions, unless fraud is taking place.

keihatsu
03-18-2010, 03:13 AM
If you'd like to talk about monetary science, I have solved it. Getting that across to those in power is difficult however.

A loose framework describing promises between people eliminates money. Before you attack me for that idea, please think it through. I have spent years studying the issue, reverse engineered the concept of money, and arrived at a solution I call Promise Markup Language. While arriving at that solution, I created a formula: (Communication * Performance) / Time That formula is the formula for all of existence. It is the formula of the individual. It is karma. It can also be used for conscious intention. As such, it encompasses money as well. One solution to the above formula, depending on one's Performance, is Trust.

The above is simple to implement. Can be implemented at a local credit union as easily as a central bank. Days to implement and would transform the economy as it eliminates the core problem at the central bank: the fraudulent journal entry when bonds are accepted by the bank. If you know accounting, what asset or liability is offset when a Treasury bond is accepted by the Fed?

keihatsu
03-20-2010, 05:53 PM
I did a write-up of the monetary system in case anyone is interested:
http://promiselanguage.blogspot.com

wizardwatson
03-20-2010, 06:23 PM
I did a write-up of the monetary system in case anyone is interested:
http://promiselanguage.blogspot.com

I find it very encouraging when I see someone actively trying to find an alternative solution to the current monetary/banking system. I'm also familiar with Ripple and have corresponded with the creator, Ryan Fugger, off and on for a couple years now. I encourage you to check out both the "RippleUsers" and "Agile-Banking" Google groups. There is some (albeit not a tremendous amount) activity on those groups and there is a wealth of posts and information about the state of the "art" so to speak of trying to solve this problem. I've also been trying to solve this problem for some time and am currently in the programming phase of implementing my design which is based partly on the generic Ripple concept. I hope to have an operating website and webservice by the end of this year. You can see many of my own posts on the subject as well as some of my design ideas by checking out those groups.

As far as feedback on your PML concept... I would say that you are coming at it from the wrong angle. It's not so much about figuring out how to semantically markup money, there are already some good ideas in that regard (check out Opentransact Protocol). The primary issue is how to mechanically represent a multi-currency system within a software design. There is a subtle issue, easily overlooked, concerning how exactly the price of each currency should be decided in a decentralized system. If we can solve that issue in a systemwide fair way, that respects property rights, then we can simply let people link together whatever currency they want to use in a truly decentralized system.

I've studied everything from Ben Franklin's ideas for land banks, William Batchelder Greenes concept of community asset banking, RipplePay, LETS, just to name a few. I've also read numerous works on the subject including various works by Rothbard as well as Hayek's "Denationalisation of Money" which I think is very good.

Anyway, if I would actually get to work instead of RPF lurking it would probably happen sooner (the website that is), but you know how it is...

keihatsu
03-21-2010, 08:48 AM
I find it very encouraging when I see someone actively trying to find an alternative solution to the current monetary/banking system. I'm also familiar with Ripple and have corresponded with the creator, Ryan Fugger, off and on for a couple years now. I encourage you to check out both the "RippleUsers" and "Agile-Banking" Google groups. There is some (albeit not a tremendous amount) activity on those groups and there is a wealth of posts and information about the state of the "art" so to speak of trying to solve this problem. I've also been trying to solve this problem for some time and am currently in the programming phase of implementing my design which is based partly on the generic Ripple concept. I hope to have an operating website and webservice by the end of this year. You can see many of my own posts on the subject as well as some of my design ideas by checking out those groups.

As far as feedback on your PML concept... I would say that you are coming at it from the wrong angle. It's not so much about figuring out how to semantically markup money, there are already some good ideas in that regard (check out Opentransact Protocol). The primary issue is how to mechanically represent a multi-currency system within a software design. There is a subtle issue, easily overlooked, concerning how exactly the price of each currency should be decided in a decentralized system. If we can solve that issue in a systemwide fair way, that respects property rights, then we can simply let people link together whatever currency they want to use in a truly decentralized system.

I've studied everything from Ben Franklin's ideas for land banks, William Batchelder Greenes concept of community asset banking, RipplePay, LETS, just to name a few. I've also read numerous works on the subject including various works by Rothbard as well as Hayek's "Denationalisation of Money" which I think is very good.

Anyway, if I would actually get to work instead of RPF lurking it would probably happen sooner (the website that is), but you know how it is...

I've spoken with Ryan Fugger repeatedly. He deleted all my posts about PML. The Ripple system is a decent algorithm for logistics. It is terrible for money.

PML would work because it works with all currencies including the ones in use right now. No change required to anyone's bank accounts or daily activities. It is simply a protocol to reduce transaction fees. It's larger than that, but subtle to understand.