PDA

View Full Version : Whose Forum Should Take Medina's Place?

RonPaulFanInGA
03-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Chuck Devore?
R.J. Harris?
John Hostettler?
B.J. Lawson?
Ron Paul (for Congress)?

Other?

With the election over, I think it's time to put a good candidate's forum here.

dr. hfn
03-04-2010, 09:32 PM
YAL

Sam Rohrer

Nathan Hale
03-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Chuck Devore?

Isn't he in distant third place in his primary?

R.J. Harris?

This guy has alienated half of us, and doesn't look to be performing too well in his primary.

John Hostettler?

Viable option.

B.J. Lawson?

The best option. Lawson is in the top tier in his primary field, and he's a homegrown candidate, so I prefer giving him the priority to Hostettler.

Ron Paul (for Congress)?

No need. The primary's over. He won.

RonPaulFanInGA
03-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I like Hostettler and Lawson the most as forum options.

As for Ron Paul, I just want to point out he will have a democratic opponent in November.

MRoCkEd
03-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Gurley Martin! (http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Gurley-Martin/343269472202?ref=ts)

Dustancostine
03-04-2010, 09:45 PM
What did R.J. do to alienate half of us?

TCE
03-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Chuck Devore?
Pass.

R.J. Harris?
He's going to get slammed by Tom Cole.

John Hostettler?
He's got my vote.

B.J. Lawson?
I haven't looked into him very much, but does he legitimately have a chance?

Ron Paul (for Congress)?
Dr. Paul will coast in the General, no real need to feature him.

Why not just keep it with the three there are?

TCE
03-04-2010, 09:46 PM
What did R.J. do to alienate half of us?

Attack Rand.

Kotin
03-04-2010, 09:47 PM
BJ Lawson.. its really a no-brainer.

low preference guy
03-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Hostettler and Lawson.

Although Hostettler is not a perfect liberty candidate, he is more antiwar than Schiff and Rand, so his election will help rebuilding the antiwar right. For those who want to know more about him, check out his recent profile by the American Conservative (http://amconmag.com/article/2010/apr/01/00014/). Some votes:

Hostettler voted against the Medicare prescription-drug benefit and No Child Left Behind. He voted against the federal marriage amendment, preferring instead to preserve traditional marriage by stripping federal courts of jurisdiction over the issue. He was one of 11 Republicans to vote against the $51.8 billion Hurricane Katrina relief package. In 1996, he was one of 17 Republicans who voted against a budget compromise backed by then House Speaker Newt Gingrich that would have ended the federal government shutdown. Gingrich canceled a fundraiser for Hostettler as a result.

Hostettler’s biggest dissent, however, was on Iraq. He had opposed making regime change the official U.S. policy by voting against the Iraq Liberation Act in 1998. Then Hostettler was one of just six House Republicans to vote against authorizing the invasion of Iraq...
After leaving Congress, Hostettler stepped up his criticism of the war. He even wrote an antiwar book, Nothing for the Nation: Who Got What Out of Iraq.

Lastly, does he like neocons?

“The neocons know what a Senator Hostettler would mean,” he says. “They would rather have Evan Bayh as the lead sponsor of sanctions against Iran, bringing us to the brink of war or a Republican who would do the same thing.” Hostettler argues, “They want to mold the Republican Party’s image on foreign policy, and I am not of that mold.”

1836er
03-04-2010, 10:03 PM
makes me sad to think of the Debra Medina forum going away...

Kotin
03-04-2010, 10:06 PM

indeed.. :(

invisible
03-04-2010, 10:07 PM
I agree with TCE. I don't think we've heard the last of Debra, she's a very strong candidate and dosen't seem like she's giving up the fight and going away anytime soon. Perhaps simply move her forum into the 2012 planning section if one of the other candidates seems more prominant for the time being.

james1906
03-04-2010, 10:38 PM

The forum shouldn't be scrapped. Debra's not going away and neither are her supporters.

Texan4Life
03-04-2010, 11:20 PM
BJ Lawson... someone should add a poll to this thread or start a new one with a poll.

I dont think we should delete this forum.. just move it back under 2010 planning

and the have a poll on who should be moved out of 2010 planning

WorldonaString
03-05-2010, 01:07 AM
I didn't realize RJ had caught that much heat from some. I still say he was just speaking his heart and deserves people's consideration. Whether or not that constitutes upgrading his forum, we should see. Performance based makes the most sense eh? :)

In the meantime, I'm hoping to see a lot more action for Schiff and Kokesh. But I look forward to the day that we can rally for Medina again!

JohnG
03-05-2010, 04:38 AM
This forum should definitely be archived so that you can read it later on. honestly, these discussions may become useful (from a "learning" sense) a few years from now. The same way it can be funny to read Paul threads from 2007 :)

jmdrake
03-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Attack Rand.

All he did was attack Rand's position on one issue. And I'd say that a majority actually agree with R.J. on the issue. (some agree with Rand on the issue, some disagree but hope Rand is just saying what he needs to get elected some disagree and are really mad). It's sad if we've become the kind of group think organization that we attack Dems and Repubs for being.

Bman
03-05-2010, 09:44 AM
I vote for Pat Sellers in Pennsylvania's Sixth District.

YouTube - Patrick Henry Sellers for Pennsylvania Congressional District 6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki3Slx4fIQk)

John Taylor
03-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Hostettler and Lawson.

Although Hostettler is not a perfect liberty candidate, he is more antiwar than Schiff and Rand, so his election will help rebuilding the antiwar right. For those who want to know more about him, check out his recent profile by the American Conservative (http://amconmag.com/article/2010/apr/01/00014/). Some votes:

Lastly, does he like neocons?

Anti-war isn't right, what we are is anti-interventionists. There is a distinction. Folks who are anti-war would have voted no on a declaration of war against afghanistan even though they aided and abbetted the attackers on 9-11, while anti-interventionists would have voted to declare war in that circumstance, to kill those responsible for the attacks, and then to declare and secure our victory and return home.

Anti-interventionists opposed the war in Iraq, not because they are "anti-war" but because they are anti-this-type of war.... agressive foreign adventurism and nation-building for "American greatness".

Jeremy
03-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Lawson. Duh!

low preference guy
03-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Anti-war isn't right, what we are is anti-interventionists. There is a distinction. Folks who are anti-war would have voted no on a declaration of war against afghanistan even though they aided and abbetted the attackers on 9-11, while anti-interventionists would have voted to declare war in that circumstance, to kill those responsible for the attacks, and then to declare and secure our victory and return home.

Anti-interventionists opposed the war in Iraq, not because they are "anti-war" but because they are anti-this-type of war.... agressive foreign adventurism and nation-building for "American greatness".

Sure, I was using the word loosely. The point is, do you think Hostettler's election will be good for the liberty movement?

TCE
03-05-2010, 01:56 PM
All he did was attack Rand's position on one issue. And I'd say that a majority actually agree with R.J. on the issue. (some agree with Rand on the issue, some disagree but hope Rand is just saying what he needs to get elected some disagree and are really mad). It's sad if we've become the kind of group think organization that we attack Dems and Repubs for being.

There are so few Liberty Candidates that it makes no sense to attack another Liberty Candidate. What can be gained from that? However, that wasn't a deal breaker for me personally. I am against him having a forum because Tom Cole is going to smash him in the primary.

Nathan Hale
03-05-2010, 06:22 PM
As for Ron Paul, I just want to point out he will have a democratic opponent in November.

yeah, but it's not going to be a close enough race for it to warrant headlining.

Nathan Hale
03-05-2010, 06:23 PM

We'll still have these forums in 2012. Hopefully she'll have a sub-forum then too.

Nathan Hale
03-05-2010, 06:23 PM
The forum shouldn't be scrapped. Debra's not going away and neither are her supporters.

We're not suggesting it get scrapped - only archived, like Lawson's was until he declared for 2010.

Flash
03-05-2010, 06:25 PM
John Hostettler. DeVore is fringe, Harris is fringe, and I'm not sure about BJ's viability.

Nathan Hale
03-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Sure, I was using the word loosely. The point is, do you think Hostettler's election will be good for the liberty movement?

Yes. Even assuming that he's a marginal friend, he's better than his other top tier primary opponent and he's way better than the dem. Having him in the Senate means that we'll have an ally on more issues than any other likely scenario coming out of that race. So, yes.

That said, I consider him more than a marginal friend, especially now that the tide is shifting toward a more libertarian republican paradigm.

Nathan Hale
03-05-2010, 06:29 PM
John Hostettler. DeVore is fringe, Harris is fringe, and I'm not sure about BJ's viability.

I'll support BJ here. He is a proven candidate (highest vote totals vs Price in recent memory, in a heavily D district during a heavily D year). He's awesome in debate. And he can draw D and swing votes, especially now that the pendulum is swinging back. He's also a money magnet. Hostettler is more likely to win, but that doesn't necessarily mean we should give him Medina's seat at the big kids table, because BJ needs the exposure more.

That said, I'd like both of them to have front page status.

nate895
03-05-2010, 06:42 PM
See my sig.

Zatch
03-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Ray McBerry: http://www.georgiafirst.org/governor/bills.shtml

JoshLowry
03-09-2010, 12:00 AM
BJ Lawson takes it.

Nathan Hale
03-09-2010, 06:41 AM
Ray McBerry: http://www.georgiafirst.org/governor/bills.shtml

Unfortunately, McBerry is an afterthought in his crowded GOP primary field.

james1906
03-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Sad to see this forum sink to the bottom of the page, but happy to know it will rise again!