PDA

View Full Version : Delegates to Texas State Convention

Number19
03-04-2010, 09:08 PM
I have questions for anyone with experience in selecting delegates to the Texas State Convention - in particular with any Application to be submitted to the Nominations Committee.

The application required this year, in Brazoria County, is not the same from 2008. It seems as if this new form was unilaterally revised by the county chair, in response to the effort we have been waging against the entrenched incumbents. It was not presented to the Executive Committee, voted upon or adopted by this body.

If you have an Application in your county, is it the same or different than that in Brazoria County :

(the bold text actually appears on the application)

I am interested in being considered as a delegate/alternate to the REPUBLICAN STATE CONVENTION which will be held in Dallas on June 11- 12, 2010.. My Republican party involvement in Brazoria County is as follows: (Please place a check mark next to those positions which you have held.) If involvement is in another county, please so note. If chosen as a delegate or alternate I do pledge to attend. Please initial here:________________

WHEREAS, the Republican State Convention is sponsored and paid for by the Republican Party of Texas. If chosen as a Delegate or Alternate to the 2010 Republican State Convention, I pledge to support the Republican nominees on the 2010 General Election Ballot. Yes_____________ No___________ , SIGN:

__________________________________________________ _________DATE_____________
Signature denoting your Republican pledge

nf7mate
03-10-2010, 07:43 AM
Our county has a similar question. I wrote, “SEE BACK” then wrote on the back my list of requirements in order for me to support a candidate. I went in to interview before the nominating committee and it didn’t seem like that was an issue. No one even asked me about it.

lynnf
03-10-2010, 08:06 AM
I have questions for anyone with experience in selecting delegates to the Texas State Convention - in particular with any Application to be submitted to the Nominations Committee.

The application required this year, in Brazoria County, is not the same from 2008. It seems as if this new form was unilaterally revised by the county chair, in response to the effort we have been waging against the entrenched incumbents. It was not presented to the Executive Committee, voted upon or adopted by this body.

If you have an Application in your county, is it the same or different than that in Brazoria County :

(the bold text actually appears on the application)

I am interested in being considered as a delegate/alternate to the REPUBLICAN STATE CONVENTION which will be held in Dallas on June 11- 12, 2010.. My Republican party involvement in Brazoria County is as follows: (Please place a check mark next to those positions which you have held.) If involvement is in another county, please so note. If chosen as a delegate or alternate I do pledge to attend. Please initial here:________________

WHEREAS, the Republican State Convention is sponsored and paid for by the Republican Party of Texas. If chosen as a Delegate or Alternate to the 2010 Republican State Convention, I pledge to support the Republican nominees on the 2010 General Election Ballot. Yes_____________ No___________ , SIGN:

__________________________________________________ _________DATE_____________
Signature denoting your Republican pledge

There are generally 2 ways to make it to state:

1) get elected by your precinct delegation at the district convention to one of the available delegate or alternate slots given to your precinct (if your district allows selection this way)
or
2) get selected by the nominations committee

try both, if available in your district. election by the precinct delegation (if available) is the more sure way and you get to know what happened and somewhat why. selection by the nomination committee is a little more mysterious if you don't know someone on the committee that will tell you what happened with your selection or denial. on the other hand, if your precinct has a bunch of old hands that have a lock on all the delegate and alternate slots, you might have a tough time to get elected by the precinct delegation.

------------------------------------

lynn

Elwar
03-10-2010, 08:18 AM
The nomination committee is a joke. A bunch of good ol' boys sit there and listen as you pour your heart out about how much you'd like to go to the state convention. Then after everyone's given their reasons for going, they each pull out a list of people they were going to pick already and they all vote in their buddies.

The Nomination Committee is open for anyone who wants to sit in. I was the only one in my county to sit in. They didn't nominate anyone who came before them who they didn't know personally.

Try to win your precinct delegation.

Number19
03-10-2010, 06:09 PM
We hope to have enough strength at our Senatorial/District Convention to over-ride the slate of state candidates that will be proposed by the nominations committee.

I just found all my paperwork and notes from our precinct convention in 2008, and I was correct in that the application was entirely different. I still don't know if this year's changes came from State or was the personal work of our county chair in response to our severe threat to their incumbency. I have confirmed that the changes were not presented to, or voted upon, by the Executive Committee in open session, with a quorum voting. In fact, the EC has not had a quorum at a single meeting this past year.

We now have 26 out of 56 occupied precinct chairs ( 11 are vacant ). With the poor attendance of the opposition, we are likely to have a majority vote with any quorum required business.

In my precinct, I went up against a very long time incumbent with a lot of name recognition. I did fairly well in a losing effort : 60%-40%.

Imperial
03-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Im walking into my county relatively blind, I don't know anybody going but I am going to try to go to the state convention. I am not sure what I should apply to volunteer for, platform committee, credentials committee, or one of the little jobs there.