PDA

View Full Version : Why Perry Won

Number19
03-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Here's a pretty good analysis at BurkaBlog:Texas Monthly :

"...Anyone who doesn’t recognize Perry’s political talent by this time has to be deaf, dumb, and blind. He has assembled an electoral juggernaut that is brutally efficient. The Perry team knew in 2008 the strategy they were going to use against Hutchison in 2010....

...Perry lives, eats, and breathes politics 24/7. That’s his strength, and also his weakness. But he is far better at it than anybody Texas has produced–better than Bush, better than Richards. The only Texan I can think of who had a similar focus on nothing but politics was Lyndon Johnson....

...One of the most striking facts about the Perry campaign is that he never deployed a yard sign, never knocked on a door. He relied on personal appearances and voter contact through the electronic media. He and his team have built a political machine that is brutally efficient. The social media have allowed him to develop a following that is personally loyal to him....

..... He should have been the target of the Tea Parties, but he has such finely tuned political instincts that he knew he had to get out in front of the movement and co-opt it. You’re an amateur up against a pro. That’s the way to think of it. Laugh about his hair and he’ll destroy you the way he did Hutchison..."

http://www.texasmonthly.com/blogs/burkablog/?p=6511&cpage=1#comment-43040

RonPaulFanInGA
03-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Yeah because an incumbent who has nearly 49% of their own party's electorate vote for someone else in the primary is real super-popular. :rolleyes:

Akus
03-04-2010, 08:02 PM
I say, like Perry or not, no one stays a governor of a state for well over a decade. I say Debra Medina, rookie as she is, needs to study what exactly Perry is doing and take a page out of his book. NOT in lying or political flip flops, you paranoids, but in how he campaigned.

low preference guy
03-04-2010, 08:07 PM
I say, like Perry or not, no one stays a governor of a state for well over a decade. I say Debra Medina, rookie as she is, needs to study what exactly Perry is doing and take a page out of his book. NOT in lying or political flip flops, you paranoids, but in how he campaigned.

preemptively calling people "you paranoids" is not polite.

undergroundrr
03-05-2010, 10:32 AM
I think it was the chauvinistic wink in the KERA debate.

DapperDan
03-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Perry won because

Hook, line, and sinker by a typical establishment politician. People still think this neocon is the best for Texas.

Education is key and Medinas numbers show people are becoming aware and/or actually want a true Constitutionalist candidate.

I can agree somewhat though that Medina could learn a thing about campaigning but hey, she's your average joe like us!

Peace&Freedom
03-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Perry has one thing right, and that was not relying on the old school, 19th century retail media of yard signs and buttons to get his name out there. A personal appearance, a personal handshake, and effective mass advertising (commercials, billboards) go so much farther qualitatively and quantitatively to reach the public than legacy methods. The same thing happened with Paul in IA and NH---a zillion banners and signs waved are simply not as powerful as the mass media trumpeting McFrontrunner X or Huckadate Y as the presumptive winner. Medina is a sign the educated are getting smarter, but unfortunately the informed public is only 10 percent of the electorate. The apolitical 90% will have to be reached by more soundbites, images and broadcast TV ads.

constituent
03-05-2010, 12:06 PM

worked for perry.

just sayin'

jmdrake
03-05-2010, 12:19 PM
..... He should have been the target of the Tea Parties, but he has such finely tuned political instincts that he knew he had to get out in front of the movement and co-opt it. You’re an amateur up against a pro. That’s the way to think of it. Laugh about his hair and he’ll destroy you the way he did Hutchison..."

Yep! Perry got up and made a speech about the 10th amendment and hinted at secession, drew criticism from that nutcase Keith Olbermann, and that was all she wrote for some people. Slick move on his part.

Bman
03-05-2010, 12:23 PM
We really need to put out press calling our competition fringe, nuts, and completely out of their minds.

If enough people say it, most people will believe it.

constituent
03-05-2010, 12:29 PM
We really need to put out press calling our competition fringe, nuts, and completely out of their minds.

If enough people say it, most people will believe it.

yes, exactly.

Akus
03-05-2010, 07:55 PM

I am impolite to them before they come over and be impolite to me on our soil.:D

Flash
03-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Why Perry won? He is an incumbent.

sofia
03-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Perry's incumbency alone gives him a 40-45% headstart.

The other 7-10% was given to him by Glen Beck's theft of anti-DC Establishment Medina voters who weren't gonna vote for Kay Bailout under any circumstances.

Without the Beck ambush, Perry comes up short of 50%, and then wins a runoff against either Hutchinson or Medina by a 15%-20% margin.

Beck prevented an embarassing runoff for sure...a runoff that could have made Medina a national name win or lose.......but he did not cost Medina the Governorship.

libertybrewcity
03-06-2010, 03:32 AM
imagine what Medina could have done with 10 million dollars. I really think money decides who wins elections.

johngr
03-06-2010, 07:18 AM
Yep! Perry got up and made a speech about the 10th amendment and hinted at secession, drew criticism from that nutcase Keith Olbermann, and that was all she wrote for some people. Slick move on his part.

It says alot about Texans that they didn't see through Mr Trans-Texas Bilderberg using such a demogaugic and obviously transparent tactic. It looks like the sheep in Texas vastly outnumber the cattle.

Akus
03-06-2010, 12:41 PM
imagine what Medina could have done with 10 million dollars. I really think money decides who wins elections.

lol no

Ron Paul had about $30 mil and what was done with it? I imagine Medina's campaign was run by the same college punk kids who ran Ron Paul's campaign....

NiceGoing
03-06-2010, 12:43 PM
It says alot about Texans that they didn't see through Mr Trans-Texas Bilderberg using such a demogaugic and obviously transparent tactic. It looks like the sheep in Texas vastly outnumber the cattle.

lol

pacelli
03-06-2010, 01:09 PM

He campaigned by lying and political flip-flopping, you ignoramus ;):D

randolphfuller
03-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Historically, Texans have never wanted their governors to serve for very long.Shiver at 71/2 is the previous longest serving governor. Perry at 10 was alrready the longest serving governor. INcumbency is not an advantage.

nobody's_hero
03-07-2010, 06:21 AM
He campaigned by lying and political flip-flopping . . .

Beat me to it. :D