PDA

View Full Version : Why do only slackers protest?

furface
03-04-2010, 05:49 PM
So people are being taxed to pay for your education and you jump up and down and scream that it's not enough? It should be the other way around. People should be protesting the concept of taxing people to pay for places like UC Berkeley and UCLA.

I can almost understand Cal State colleges because they're much more egalitarian, but California's UC system is very competitive, i.e. elitist. Students there have a lot of nerve protesting tuition when most other people have been excluded from going there. It's very elitist.

Why don't more of the people who are truly injured by government aggression protest like this, though?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/03/04/BAC41CAAM1.DTL&tsp=1

BTW, I personally attended UC Berkeley, so it's not sour grapes. I understand the unfairness of the people of California paying for my education there, though.

Juan McCain
03-04-2010, 05:55 PM
So the "slackers" you refer to are the ones attending the University of California campuses ?

dannno
03-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Ya it's funny but I didn't make the connection until the other day that both Schiff and I have economics degrees from the UC system :D (though he dual majored in poli-sci)

1000-points-of-fright
03-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Only slackers have time to protest. The people being taxed have to go to work.

furface
03-04-2010, 06:00 PM
So the "slackers" you refer to are the ones attending the University of California campuses ?

"Slackers" isn't such a good word. They obviously have some sort of academic ability. My point is something like most people have to work, but people who are hanging around in academia have lots of time to do things like go to protests while other people are working hard having money taken out of their pay checks to pay for things like the UC system.

furface
03-04-2010, 06:01 PM

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Brian4Liberty
03-04-2010, 06:03 PM
At UC Santa Cruz, they showed protesters blocking entrances to the school. They were chanting something like "Students. Workers. United for Justice." Sounded a bit communist. :rolleyes:

What "justice" are they talking about? They see Wall St. crooks stealing a bunch of money, and they want their cut too? So they demand more money from the taxpaying middle-class?

QueenB4Liberty
03-04-2010, 06:23 PM

haha Seriously!

revolutionisnow
03-04-2010, 06:34 PM
YouTube - How voters deal with bank bailouts in Indonesia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvMzQMi2yMw)

jack555
03-04-2010, 06:37 PM
So people are being taxed to pay for your education and you jump up and down and scream that it's not enough? It should be the other way around. People should be protesting the concept of taxing people to pay for places like UC Berkeley and UCLA.

I can almost understand Cal State colleges because they're much more egalitarian, but California's UC system is very competitive, i.e. elitist. Students there have a lot of nerve protesting tuition when most other people have been excluded from going there. It's very elitist.

Why don't more of the people who are truly injured by government aggression protest like this, though?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/03/04/BAC41CAAM1.DTL&tsp=1

BTW, I personally attended UC Berkeley, so it's not sour grapes. I understand the unfairness of the people of California paying for my education there, though.

I have explained this to cal state students and they get more mad lol...

What I love is they protest rising tuition at the same time they protest cutting teachers. so stupid its sad.

Brian4Liberty
03-04-2010, 06:53 PM
What I love is they protest rising tuition at the same time they protest cutting teachers. so stupid its sad.

No doubt they protest all government cuts, and demand more hand-outs. :rolleyes:

furface
03-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Coincidentally I just received an email from the alumni association bugging me to email my state reps about more funding for UC. I can take it when they telemarket me just about every night begging me for donations. That's an honest activity, asking people for charity. I'm a bit irked that this guy is using this medium to make a political statement, though. I wonder what would happen if some brave alumni association head sent out a mass emailer asking people to support cutting government spending and lowering taxes.

Dear Cal Advocate and CAA Member,

Now more than ever, UC Berkeley depends on supporters like you to stand up and make your voice heard.

Email your legislator »

In 1969, the year that I graduated from Cal, the State of California provided 60 percent of the campus' budget. Today, it provides less than 22 percent of the UC Berkeley budget. Since 1990, per-student support for UC has fallen 54%, while, during the same period, the State has more than doubled the budget for prisons. Last year alone, UC's budget was slashed by 20% from the year before.

There are, of course, other needs that the State must address. However, the public and law makers must be reminded that the greatest public university in America not only educates the best and brightest of our young people, but also contributes immensely to the economic engine that, in years past, made California a world leader in aerospace, information technology, life sciences, agriculture and other important fields.

Our representatives in Sacramento must hear from those who care deeply about the future of UC and our state. Please write to your legislator and ask him / her to support increased funding for UC. Together, we can ensure the future success of our great University.

Email your legislator »

Thank you for supporting UC Berkeley.

Alan C. Mendelson

Alan C. Mendelson '69
President
Cal Alumni Association