PDA

View Full Version : NH and IA

BillyDkid
10-08-2007, 06:45 AM
By not having had an early presence in NH and IA and with the early closing of the registration window we have lost all of those independent and Democratic voters we might have had for the primary that might well have swung the primaries in those states to Ron Paul. The same thing has happened in NY. Which leaves us in a position where we have to convince pre-existing Republicans that RP is worth supporting. One would like to think that there are enough disgruntled Republicans that we can make a serious impact, but I worry. Particularly with someone like Huckabee eclipsing us. Are there enough of these sorts of Republicans in these states? One reality that has to be faced is that the die hards at the center of the party will never support Ron Paul. He is like poison to them. I guess all I am saying is that we are faced with an extremely tough row to hoe which would have been made phenonmenally easier if there had been an early presence in these states.

I know since I live here there has been no presence whatsoever in NY. The campaign had to know that the only way RP can hope to capture the nomination is to have reached those independent minded voters that the polls do not reach. Did we do that? I know we didn't in NY. I pray to god we did not miss the opportunity we had. I realize that Ron Paul believes that his message of genuine conservatism will resonate with the country and it certainly does - we have proved that, but it does not with the typical Republican primary voter. These people are not conservatives in their hearts - they support authoritarian, militaristic big government and view dissent as unpatriotic. I just hope there are enough unaccounted for and disenchanted Republicans to make a difference.

I don't write this to bum anybody out. I have supported RP for years and will hang in to the bitter end, but we knew going into this that the game is fixed and our only hope lay in outsmarting them. Did we do that? It doesn't look like it to me. Someone please tell me I am mistaken about all of this.

paulitics
10-08-2007, 06:58 AM
NH is still open to independents, but I agree with what you are saying. It will take more than just the republicans to swing the election.

ronpaulfan
10-08-2007, 07:00 AM
With all the subtle corruption surrounding the new primary dates and deadlines, I wouldn't be surprised if Ron Paul realized it was almost an impossible effort to switch enough Democrats in so short of a time frame. He'll still have a good showing in NH and NY but winning those states may not be the #1 priority at this point. A good showing will still give him massive amounts of publicity and then he'll be able to win in the states he is working on right now.

BillyDkid
10-08-2007, 07:28 AM
NH is still open to independents, but I agree with what you are saying. It will take more than just the republicans to swing the election.It is??? Wow, that is a huge relief to me. I thought it was a closed primary. In my mind I was staking a lot of our hopes on NH and I thought a poor showing there would nearly doom us. I believe RP can have little influence on typical Republicans, but he still has a lot of time to influence independents in NH. I feel better now. thanks

paulitics
10-08-2007, 07:39 AM
It is??? Wow, that is a huge relief to me. I thought it was a closed primary. In my mind I was staking a lot of our hopes on NH and I thought a poor showing there would nearly doom us. I believe RP can have little influence on typical Republicans, but he still has a lot of time to influence independents in NH. I feel better now. thanks

our supporters are something like this 27% registered republican, 40% independent. 14% democrat 16% libertarian 3% other.

So it was a significant hit, but we can overcome this if we work even harder.

ItsTime
10-08-2007, 07:41 AM
over 70% of voters in NH can vote for Ron Paul if they wish. You can only be 3 things in NH Rep, Dem or Undeclared the only people that need to change parties are Dems

wsc321
10-08-2007, 07:44 AM
... He'll still have a good showing in NH and NY but winning those states may not be the #1 priority at this point...

If NH isn't the campaign's #1 priority, what do you think it might be? I've been under the impression that NH was both the most important primary for RP as well as the one he had the best chance at.

Do you think the campaign might be favoring another primary state, or ?

BillyDkid
10-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Wait, wait, wait ..... right at the top of this forum it says NH and IA primaries are closing on Oct. 12. So NH is NOT and open primary and I am back to feeling depressed.

Give me liberty
10-08-2007, 11:13 AM
I think i feel a little postive about NH.

ronpaulhawaii
10-08-2007, 11:15 AM
IIRC the deadline is for those that are reg. dems, indy can still vote

BillyDkid
10-08-2007, 11:16 AM
IIRC the deadline is for those that are reg. dems, indy can still vote
Okay, thanks. Still, it could be better.

kylejack
10-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Wait, wait, wait ..... right at the top of this forum it says NH and IA primaries are closing on Oct. 12. So NH is NOT and open primary and I am back to feeling depressed.

Its open-ish. Registered Democrats just need to get unregistered by then. This is an issue every primary season, but because of all the dumb states moving up their primaries, NH had to do it sooner. Most NH voters should know about this.

Original_Intent
10-08-2007, 11:18 AM

It only bars those that are registered Dem from voting in the GOP primaries.

stevedasbach
10-08-2007, 11:19 AM
NH is closed to registered Democrats only. They have to change their registration to either Republican or Undeclared by Oct 12. Anyone else can vote in the Republican primary. New registrants have until ten days prior to the primary to register.

You have to registered Republican to participate in the IA caucuses. However, you can change your registration at the polls, so this really doesn't prevent anyone from voting for Paul.