PDA

View Full Version : Fox News using subliminal imagery?

Thrashertm
03-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Look at :25 seconds into this clip on the healthcare debate - there's a floating skull that flashes by.

YouTube - Dennis Kucinich "This Bill Is A Sellout To Insurance Companies!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tEjJxRR7xQ&feature=sub)

Am I just going crazy, or does this need to go viral?

LittleLightShining
03-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Creepy.

Thrashertm
03-04-2010, 02:02 PM
so it's not my overactive imagination

John of Des Moines
03-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Wow! Good eye. CNN/Wolf Blitzer did the same thing with Ron Paul during the campaign.

johngr
03-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Many of their newsreaders are obviously trained in and use NLP.

MelissaWV
03-04-2010, 02:07 PM
There's a typo in the news crawl at the bottom of the screen, too.

Also, the story (in the crawl) about police officers suffering injuries caused by snowballs was a little funny.

The "skull" is made by the globe, which is semi-transparent. It's a pretty overused graphic, but by now people know how creepy it looks and should know better than to keep using it. News agencies use it all over the place.

Thrashertm
03-04-2010, 02:10 PM
I only spotted it because my youtube froze at that moment while the video loaded.

Daamien
03-04-2010, 02:11 PM
I had to go back and forth between :24 and :27 about 5 times until I finally saw it in the center of the spinning globe graphic. It barely looks like a skull. Thanks for the good laugh, but come on guys... you really think it's intentional subliminal messaging? Hah.

CharlesTX
03-04-2010, 02:12 PM
If you hadn't told me, I wouldn't have noticed.

sevin
03-04-2010, 02:15 PM
They may have used subliminal messages in the past, but I don't think so in this case. Just the human brain looking for patterns, like it always does.

Original_Intent
03-04-2010, 02:16 PM

That's the point of subliminal messaging - you're not supposed to notice!

fisharmor
03-04-2010, 02:18 PM

But if you had noticed, it would have been liminal imagery, or perhaps even superliminal.

:D

CharlesTX
03-04-2010, 02:19 PM
That's the point of subliminal messaging - you're not supposed to notice!

I guess I should reiterate that I wouldn't have thought of anything creepy or been in a bad mood or whatever the subliminal message is supposed to do to me psychologically.

MelissaWV
03-04-2010, 02:21 PM
I keep coming back to the crawl... and how clever they are to place stories of importance (and the healthcare discussion) on at the same time that they have information about rogue monkeys and police injured by snowballs at the bottom of the screen.

Thrashertm
03-04-2010, 02:23 PM
So it's all just in my head.

TXcarlosTX
03-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Look at :25 seconds into this clip on the healthcare debate - there's a floating skull that flashes by.

YouTube - Dennis Kucinich "This Bill Is A Sellout To Insurance Companies!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tEjJxRR7xQ&feature=sub)

Am I just going crazy, or does this need to go viral?

WoW :cool:

you guys are smoking some good shit.

pretty cool.

MelissaWV
03-04-2010, 02:26 PM
So it's all just in my head.

It's not. The spinning globe/face thing is old as far as graphics go. It's been "seen" before, but I don't really think it means much of anything. Most televisions wouldn't necessarily capture the image, it's embedded as part of a moving graphic between segments (so a lot of people would probably blink at it in real time), and there's no particular advantage I could think of to having placed a skull there. While not "just in your head," I personally don't think it's some deliberate use of the face/skull image.

dannno
03-04-2010, 02:46 PM
That's totally fucked.

dannno
03-04-2010, 02:47 PM
The "skull" is made by the globe, which is semi-transparent.

The skull is in the globe, it extends off the coast of spain into the Atlantic Ocean, blending in with the clouds (but is obviously not a cloud in the shape of a skull as it is not wispy)

Thrashertm
03-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Next they are going to flash imagery of Hitler when Obama speaks. Pathetic.

torchbearer
03-04-2010, 03:01 PM
WoW :cool:

you guys are smoking some good shit.

pretty cool.

i endorse this message.

BlackTerrel
03-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Puff Puff Pass

MelissaWV
03-04-2010, 06:12 PM
The skull is in the globe, it extends off the coast of spain into the Atlantic Ocean, blending in with the clouds (but is obviously not a cloud in the shape of a skull as it is not wispy)

The globe is crappily semi-transparent, which means you're viewing both sides of it at the same time. The same effect's been used to actually morph the globe into a skull & crossbones before by many a graphic design student with too much time on their hands.

People will believe what they want, though. :)