PDA

View Full Version : Football players in trouble for "stealing" FREE newspapers

Krugerrand
03-04-2010, 12:23 PM
This story made me chuckle:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-coach-newspaperflap&prov=ap&type=lgns

A college football coach in Texas is backing players accused of removing every copy of a student newspaper from racks around campus because of a front-page article about teammates being arrested on drug charges, according to a police report.
Copies of the weekly newspaper, which is distributed free around campus, disappeared the morning of Feb. 25, shortly after football practice let out, according to the incident report. The lead story was about the arrest of two football players on drug charges.
A day after the papers disappeared, police interviewed Morriss at the campus police office. The coach repeatedly referred to the article about the drug arrests as “crap” and said he didn’t read it. He then said he was proud of his players, and repeatedly asked how taking a free newspaper could be considered stealing.

A policy printed in the newspaper says the first copy is free, but each additional copy costs 25 cents.

and my favorite line of the story:

An officer notified Cooper that players appeared to be involved, and the athletic director expressed concern because he “didn’t think they were smart enough to do this on their own,” according to the incident report.

I suggest:
1) the athletic director be concerned then not about the loss of the newspapers but that he doesn't think his student athletes are smart enough to steal a newspaper.
2) local police find something worthwhile to pursue.

Brian4Liberty
03-04-2010, 12:40 PM
They are "free" with the intent that a person is taking one copy to read. Taking all of them is theft.

Krugerrand
03-04-2010, 12:46 PM
They are "free" with the intent that a person is taking one copy to read. Taking all of them is theft.

I'd hate to have to be the prosecutor trying to make that case.

Dustancostine
03-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Also if this was the first time you had taken a free newspaper, and you took more than one your first time, you wouldn't have know that it was theft until after you read the first one of the batch you took.

Brian4Liberty
03-04-2010, 01:11 PM
I'd hate to have to be the prosecutor trying to make that case.

There's the criminal aspect, but then there's also the civil case. There are real damages. Some business customers paid that paper for ad space. Those customers could sue the paper, but the paper could sue the students.

TonySutton
03-04-2010, 01:21 PM
My question is how does the newspaper intend to receive payment of 25 cents per copy if the papers are left unattended and unsecured in a public place?

invisible
03-05-2010, 07:58 PM
With shocking news like that, wouldn't every student in the school suddenly want to read the article and find out the juicy details? People are surprised that a scandal story like that flew off the racks quickly?