PDA

View Full Version : What Constitution are the Tea Partiers Using?

bobbyw24
03-04-2010, 06:09 AM
This piece is written by RPF member malkusm. Let him know what you think about it by commenting here

The wave of “Tea Party” activism and renewed interest in the Constitution in the wake of the 2008 elections has mostly been fueled by a rightfully-deserved fear of the tyranny and reckless disregard for the rule of law that the current administration has displayed. Attend a local Tea Party event and you’ll likely encounter healthy, much-needed discussions on the 10th Amendment rights of the state, the protection of the inherent rights of the individual via the 1st and 2nd Amendments, the unconstitutionality of wasteful federal programs, and even once-fringe talking points such as repealing the 17th Amendment.

Quite often, however, the Constitution is lost on many when the topic of discussion turns to foreign policy and the so-called “War on Terror.” At a recent GOP primary debate that I attended (sponsored by the local Tea Party), several candidates were asked about national security, the role of America’s foreign policy, and what to do about the rising threat of Iran. Despite drooling over their love of the Constitution for the rest of the evening, the candidates didn’t mention the founding document once in their responses to these issues. One of the candidates, in fact, could be quoted as saying “If Israel bombed Iran, I’d slap them on the back and buy them a drink.” Several other candidates pledged their allegiance to defending Israel at all costs. Another candidate responded that the goal of American foreign policy should be to “help nations” and to “pressure nations that do not comply.” All of these statements drew more cheers than boos from the crowd.

From whence springs this disconnect between so-called “constitutionalists” and their eagerness to abandon all mention of the Constitution as it relates to our world empire? Since the GOP establishment takeover of the national Tea Party – seems funny that the rugged individualism that the Tea Party movement represents would even have a national organization, doesn’t it? – it seems that most of the Tea Parties have devolved into throngs of Republican dissenters who only take issue when “the other guy” is the one shredding the Constitution, while using the Amendments, clauses, and Founders’ quotes that support their agenda.

Continue

http://libertymaven.com/2010/03/04/what-constitution-are-the-tea-partiers-using/9187/

Thrashertm
03-04-2010, 06:18 AM
That's easy, the majority of tea party people cannot be bothered to actually read the Constitution - they'd rather learn about it from Limbaugh and Beck. If they do read it, they can probably delude themselves into ignoring the parts they don't like.

JS4Pat
03-04-2010, 06:23 AM
Great so far - Is that the entire piece? The link below doesn't go to the article...

bobbyw24
03-04-2010, 06:30 AM
Great so far - Is that the entire piece? The link below doesn't go to the article...

Hey John--thanks for letting me know. I fixed the link. I was blogging on a music site simultaneuouly. BTW-the Shinedown "Simple Man" video is a must see. Not bad for a Jacksonville band

JS4Pat
03-04-2010, 06:40 AM
Hey John--thanks for letting me know. I fixed the link. I was blogging on a music site simultaneuouly. BTW-the Shinedown "Simple Man" video is a must see. Not bad for a Jacksonville band

Thanks man. Love the video. Erik let me borrow his full set of ShineDown CDs. Great stuff.

speciallyblend
03-04-2010, 08:37 AM
great article matt;) when are you gonna visit colorado?? you know my door is open;)

malkusm
03-04-2010, 04:01 PM
great article matt;) when are you gonna visit colorado?? you know my door is open;)

Thanks Kenny - I figured that was your comment. Just got home but glad you enjoyed it.

I'd love to come out to CO sometime....I'll definitely give you a yell if I'm out that way :)

Also, thanks to Bobby for posting it here. RPF is blocked at work so I had no way of sharing it here.

bobbyw24
03-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Bump for the evening readers

dr. hfn
03-04-2010, 07:14 PM
share this article!

Stary Hickory
03-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Yes it's the ignorant Neocons. I grow tired of them immensely. But it even more of a reason to go to Tea Parties and keep chipping away. Their position has softened and many have change views against the wars. A lot of them have pride and will never admit they are wrong, but none the less they have changed positions on the war. Which means the likelihood of popular support for another war, even amongst Republicans, has been lessened dramatically.

Basically keep at it, the next POTUS will be the game changer. I really want a POTUS who is committed to no war.