PDA

View Full Version : Traficant Town Hall rocks D.C.

stu2002
03-03-2010, 07:35 PM
TRAFICANT TOWN HALL ROCKS D.C.

By Michael Collins Piper

Washington, D.C. was reeling under the impact of two consecutive blizzards— the worst storm to hit the nation’s capital in recorded history— and another storm was predicted. Yet, some 150 people still crowded into the lecture hall at the Capitol Skyline Hotel on Capitol Hill to welcome former Congressman Jim Traficant—now a weekly columnist for AMERICAN FREE PRESS—back to Washington where he once reigned as perhaps the most colorful (and certainly the most outspoken) figure in Congress during the 17 years he served in the House of Representatives.

The numbers in attendance were remarkable, considering the wintry weather, but made even more so by the fact that some 45 people who had
registered to attend did not arrive, most likely deterred by the weather.

And carefully note too that it wasn’t just a “local” audience. In fact, there were enthusiastic attendees from as far away as Washington State, California, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, Wisconsin, North Carolina, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Florida, Kentucky, Illinois and Michigan.

The young audience was demographically diverse but united in one thing: a concern—shared with Jim Traficant—about the future course of America and its position in the world.

The bottom line is that the big turnout confirmed something the staff of AMERICAN FREE PRESS knew instinctively: that Traficant—out of circulation for more than seven years and having been subjected to a barrage of vicious smears in the mainstream media—still remained a popular figure, respected for his no-nonsense approach to the big issues of the day.

Traficant’s appearance was a big splash with those who never before had the opportunity to meet the one man who, year after year, was voted in polls of the congressional staff-at-large as “the friendliest” and “the most likeable” member of Congress—a position it must be said, frankly, with which Traficant was not ranked by powerful special interest groups, foreign lobbies, and thugs from government agencies that objected to Traficant’s fervent opposition to federal tyranny.

While prison breaks many a man, it did not break Traficant, as his overwhelming presence in Washington made clear. However, Traficant was first to admit, in his remarks, that more than seven years in prison were rough on him in many ways. But despite this, Traficant has come back tougher and really, in some ways, more outspoken than never. Back in Washington, Traficant was in full form, a combination of the wry wit and the friendly banter, coupled with his serious concern about (and intellectual
insights into) so many issues that face the American republic.

Traficant said some have warned him that being associated with a “controversial” newspaper such as AMERICAN FREE PRESS could be injurious to any future political ambitions he might have, but, at the same time, he said, AFP was a newspaper that dared to express its views (right or wrong) and that, under no circumstances, should any American be afraid to express their views on any issue, no matter how controversial.

The situation in America today, said Traficant, calls for candor and all points of view must be heard and none suppressed. The most glaring absence from the event was that of the self-styled “mainstream” news media, particularly C-SPAN, the national cable network. C-SPAN’s absence was especially notable since C-SPAN not only helped make Jim Traficant a nationally-known name (among a congressional contingent of 535 largely unknown faces, with only a few exceptions) but also, in turn, gained many new viewers from people across the country who tuned in hoping to view Traficant’s regular colorful verbal rampages against government corruption and mismanagement.

Although C-SPAN told AFP’s coordinator for the event, Pete Papaheraklis, that they intended to cover Traficant’s speech, they pulled out at the last moment. It was obvious the word had come down “from the top” that a black-out on Traficant’s return to Washington was the order of the day.

Although it was a slow news day in snow-gridlocked Washington over a holiday weekend, C-SPAN boycotted the Traficant event.

Lest this be dismissed as a “conspiracy theory,” note that even the august New York Times, which declares itself the arbiter of “all the news that’s fit to print,” recently went out of its way to publish an editorial condemning Traficant’s potential comeback in the electoral arena.

Although the Times and other media voices—which have never been friendly to Traficant in any way—have been quick to assure folks that Traficant is old news and going nowhere, the Times—perhaps a bit schizophrenically—still felt the need to slam Traficant and throw more mud (and lies) in his direction, just to make sure that no “nice” people who follow the Times’ lead and direction might look favorably toward Traficant.

All told, Traficant’s return trip speaking engagement in the city where, in many ways, he made history, was a memorable event for those who did attend. The big question now, as Traficant himself will concur, is what will come out of it. Was this the beginning of a return to Congress for Traficant or will something even bigger emerge, perhaps the launching of an independent national political movement with Traficant as its leader? Time will tell soon enough.

A journalist specializing in media critique, Michael Collins Piper is the author of The High Priests of War, The New Jerusalem, Dirty Secrets, The Judas Goats, The Golem, Target Traficant and My First Days in the White House All are available from AFP.

Subscribe to American Free Press. Online subscriptions: One year of weekly editions—$15 plus you get a BONUS ELECTRONIC BOOK - HIGH PRIESTS OF WAR - By Michael Piper.

Print subscriptions: 52 issues crammed into 47 weeks of the year plus six free issues of Whole Body Health: $59 Order on this website or call toll free 1-888-699-NEWS .

(Issue # 9, March 1, 2010)

Please make a donation to American Free Press

http://americanfreepress.net/html/traficant_town_hall__212.html

Not Copyrighted. Readers can reprint and are free to redistribute - as long as full credit is given to American Free Press - 645 Pennsylvania Avenue SE, Suite 100 Washington, D.C. 20003

Michigan11
03-03-2010, 08:22 PM
This guy is exactly what the congress and this country needs right now. Imagine Traficant, now out of jail for being thrown in by this corrupt government, standing on the house floor giving speeches.... mmmhmmm can't wait!

BlackTerrel
03-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Hyperbole much? I wouldn't call 150 people "rocking DC". I had my birthday in DC in 2006 and over 300 people showed up. What is Traficant polling at?

Also if Traficant wants to be taken seriously as someone who has issues with Israel but doesn't just hate Jews associating himself with Michael Collins Piper, Willis Carto, David Duke, and the rest of the bunch at "AmericanFreePress" isn't exactly the best idea.

Slutter McGee
03-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Hyperbole much? I wouldn't call 150 people "rocking DC". I had my birthday in DC in 2006 and over 300 people showed up. What is Traficant polling at?

Also if Traficant wants to be taken seriously as someone who has issues with Israel but doesn't just hate Jews associating himself with Michael Collins Piper, Willis Carto, David Duke, and the rest of the bunch at "AmericanFreePress" isn't exactly the best idea.

I agree with you completely. But then again, the guy did get 10% of the vote running for congress from PRISON. I say let him do what he wants, and if he starts to look viable....I will give him financial but not vocal support.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

sofia
03-03-2010, 10:00 PM
this could be our third party guy in 2012...

i'd like to see Ron Paul get 20% in the primaries....then team up with Trafficante for an awesome "left-right" anti-Establishment fusion ticket

Knightskye
03-04-2010, 02:35 AM
We need more outspoken people in our government, and I wouldn't be ashamed to vote for Traficant if I lived in Ohio.

coyote_sprit
03-04-2010, 03:22 AM

How much were you charging for booze? Comparing a party and a political event are much different. One is fun, and one is boring as shit.

ChristianAnarchist
03-04-2010, 07:01 AM

Let's not fall into the "You're a Jew Hater because you criticize Israel" propaganda mode. I've been a subscriber to American Free Press since they began and to The Spotlight (before that paper was bankrupted by our lovely "government")...

I've never seen a "hate" piece in either of these newspapers and indeed, some Jewish writers have written for both papers articles critical of the policies of Israel. I guess they were "Anti-semitic Jews" because they wrote for American Free Press...

These propaganda tactics of smearing people who hold a position that is unpopular are the favorite tool of those who want to keep us divided and weak.

In the 30 or so years that I've read these papers, I've found them to be the most accurate and usually the first with true newsworthy information (no Michael Jackson or Tiger Woods). The only exception I can find to their "positions" are the one many freedom loving people get wrong - immigration.

brandon
03-04-2010, 07:07 AM
Traficant for Supreme ruler of earth 2010!

pahs1994
03-04-2010, 01:22 PM
he needs to be back in DC. even if his view of what america should be doesn't necessarily fall in line with alot of people here. Imagin what it would be like if he showed back up in the house? total chaos for the establishment

BlackTerrel
03-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Let's not fall into the "You're a Jew Hater because you criticize Israel" propaganda mode. I've been a subscriber to American Free Press since they began and to The Spotlight (before that paper was bankrupted by our lovely "government")...

Spare me. Willis Carto, David Duke et al are not just "people who criticize Israel". I never heard of Traficant before I came to RPF but I'm finding very little redeeming about him.

Just today Traficant gave an interview to the son of Don Black (founder of Stormfront) that is being heavily promoted on the most racist site on the internet. And people want to associate this guy with Ron Paul?

BlackTerrel
03-04-2010, 04:12 PM
How much were you charging for booze? Comparing a party and a political event are much different. One is fun, and one is boring as shit.

I was back on the East Coast for a weekend and I got 300 friends to show up. Traficant is bragging that he got 150.

As far as political events - Palin's book signings got ten times as many at each event and she did 50 of them. How many does Ron Paul get when he speaks? Bill Clinton? Barack Obama? This is a one off and he brags about 150?

Everything about this guy rubs me the wrong way. From the hyperbole, to the fake hair, to the martyr complex.

Kotin
03-04-2010, 04:47 PM
I was back on the East Coast for a weekend and I got 300 friends to show up. Traficant is bragging that he got 150.

As far as political events - Palin's book signings got ten times as many at each event and she did 50 of them. How many does Ron Paul get when he speaks? Bill Clinton? Barack Obama? This is a one off and he brags about 150?

Everything about this guy rubs me the wrong way. From the hyperbole, to the fake hair, to the martyr complex.

you are fucking hilarious.

:rolleyes:

ChristianAnarchist
03-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Spare me. Willis Carto, David Duke et al are not just "people who criticize Israel". I never heard of Traficant before I came to RPF but I'm finding very little redeeming about him.

Just today Traficant gave an interview to the son of Don Black (founder of Stormfront) that is being heavily promoted on the most racist site on the internet. And people want to associate this guy with Ron Paul?

Amazing. I've never heard of Don Black or Stormfront so I did some quick searches. (Hey - some people have accused ME of being a "racist", and I'm married to a Chinese). Anyway, the NEGATIVE stuff all seem to have links to ADL or SPLC, neither of which could hardly be called "unbiased".

Then I finally found their forum at stormfront.org and looked around. I see people concerned about their "culture" and expressing something called "white pride". I don't see any talk about burning crosses or hurting anyone. Granted, I could hardly look at all hundreds of thousands of posts (a very active and popular board with people from all around the world).

It's amazing that we get so upset about "white pride" and "white culture" but Obama's past connections to "black pride" and "black culture" is A-OK. I really believe that it is A-OK, but it's hardly even-handed to then call white people doing the same as somehow evil. Sure, people like to hang around with those who look alike and talk alike. Guess what, my Chinese wife will "hang" with a group of Chinese when they are available - imagine that !!!