View Full Version : More Neocon Spin from Dave Weigel

Galileo Galilei
03-03-2010, 02:45 PM
More Neocon Spin from Dave Weigel

Ron Paul Crushes Three Tea Party Foes
By David Weigel 3/3/10
http://washingtonindependent.com/78169/ron-paul-crushes-three-tea-party-foes

Weigel writes:

The much-discussed primary challenge that Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) faced from three Tea Party activists ended with a whimper last night. Paul won 80.8 percent of the vote against Tim Graney (9.7 percent), John Gay (5.3 percent), and Gerald Wall (4.2 percent).

Hours before the polls closed, here’s how Politico handicapped it:

"The question is whether he’ll win the nomination outright with more than 50 percent or be forced into a runoff. If a Conservative Political Action Conference straw poll victor like Paul — who has built a career out of trying to shrink the size and scope of government — is held to a modest mid-50s winning percentage, it might serve as a flashing sign of caution for other GOP incumbents facing tea party-oriented challengers."

Well, so much for that. There was even more hype about a possible Paul embarrassment in 2008, when a pro-war city councilman challenged him and convinced some conservative bloggers that Paul was beatable. Paul crushed him by 40 points. For all of the whining about his alleged unpopularity in the district, Paul has a fantastic operation there.

Jonathan Martin has more on the inability of Tea Party candidates to live up to the hype.

According to the Weigel spin, Ron Paul was not a tea party candidate, the three neocons who claim they went to a few tea party rallies, are real tea partiers.

What a load from Weigel.

Watch out for Weigel. He is a snake in the grass. He is a phony libertarian and would be worse than Glenn Beck if he had a bigger microphone.

rp08orbust
03-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Did Ron Paul claim to be a Tea Party candidate?

I don't see any negativity in this article. If anything, it's mocking Ron Paul's detractors.

Galileo Galilei
03-03-2010, 02:52 PM

I don't see any negativity in this article. If anything, it's mocking Ron Paul's detractors.

Ron Paul started the Tea Party movement. His opponents were neocons. The article is totally calculated to promote the establishment/NWO/GOP whatever you want to call it.

Weigel hopes his spin will get picked up and repeated by other sources.

The tea party movement voted for Ron Paul, and a few neocons voted against him.

Brian Defferding
03-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Ron Paul started the Tea Party movement.

The Libertarian Party started it a long time ago, the whole concept was overtaken by Republicans when Obama was elected. Ron Paul had a lot to do with that, sure, but he wasn't the initiator.

specsaregood
03-03-2010, 03:03 PM

Has Dr. Paul ever claimed to be anything but himself?

Galileo Galilei
03-03-2010, 03:08 PM
The Libertarian Party started it a long time ago, the whole concept was overtaken by Republicans when Obama was elected. Ron Paul had a lot to do with that, sure, but he wasn't the initiator.

I know that, that's not what this post is about. The fact is that tea partiers like Ron Paul and vote for Ron Paul. Weigel wants to spin the Ron Paul win as a defeat for the tea partiers.

The three alleged tea partiers are people no one has ever heard of. They are only known becasue they told the media they went to some tea party rallies, and the media decided that was big news. Based on the issues, the three alleged tea partiers are neocons.

Do you understand what I am saying?

Galileo Galilei
03-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Has Dr. Paul ever claimed to be anything but himself?

That's not the point. The point is that tea partiers like Ron Paul and vote for Ron Paul.

I am talking about the rank and file tea partiers, not a few of the GOP scum that is trying weasal into leadership positions among the tea partiers.

specsaregood
03-03-2010, 03:18 PM
That's not the point. The point is that tea partiers like Ron Paul and vote for Ron Paul.

I am talking about the rank and file tea partiers, not a few of the GOP scum that is trying weasal into leadership positions among the tea partiers.

What I replied to was the question: "Did Ron Paul claim to be a Tea Party candidate?"

And my answer was directly related to that. It is not in Dr. Paul's nature to claim the mantle or claim to speak for anybody but himself. So I doubt he ever claimed to be a "Tea Party candidate" He might say that many tea partiers support him or that his supporters started the first mondern day "tea party". But he wouldnt claim to speak for them or be their candidate.

Galileo Galilei
03-03-2010, 03:20 PM
What I replied to was the question: "Did Ron Paul claim to be a Tea Party candidate?"

And my answer was directly related to that. It is not in Dr. Paul's nature to claim the mantle or claim to speak for anybody but himself. So I doubt he ever claimed to be a "Tea Party candidate" He might say that many tea partiers support him or that his supporters started the first mondern day "tea party". But he wouldnt claim to speak for them or be their candidate.

OK, but that has nothing to do with the thread here.