PDA

View Full Version : 80 percent of Americans think Washington is broken

bobbyw24
03-03-2010, 10:47 AM
WASHINGTON — An overwhelming majority of Americans think that their federal government is gridlocked by partisan infighting and turf battles and can't accomplish anything, according to a new McClatchy-Ipsos poll.

Yet the anger and frustration with Washington aren't directed solely at either party and don't automatically add up to a tidal wave against the governing Democrats in this year's elections for control of Congress, the poll suggested.

In fact, Americans tilt slightly against Republicans as to which party they blame more. They also give a 10-point edge to Democrats when they're asked which party they'd vote for if the congressional elections were today.

http://media.mcclatchydc.com/smedia/2010/03/02/17/20100302_USMOOD_POLL.small.prod_affiliate.91.jpg

"Overall, the poll suggests a level of disgust with politics as usual," said Clifford Young, a senior vice president with Ipsos Public Affairs, which conducted the survey. "Americans are basically angry at incumbents and Washington. This isn't necessarily directed at any one party. I have my doubts about whether the Democrats will be obliterated. Yes, they'll lose seats, but there is a general backlash against all incumbents."

Four out of five Americans, 80 percent, said that Washington couldn't accomplish anything because of fighting between the political parties and branches of the government, the poll found. Only 17 percent disagreed.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/03/02/89704/poll-80-percent-of-americans-think.html

coyote_sprit
03-03-2010, 10:51 AM
And all Texas incumbents won their primaries.

AuH20
03-03-2010, 11:00 AM
By the same token, isn't the government a reflection of the people? When I hear these boomers lamenting over the unsure prospects their medicare and social security, I want to throw something through my tv set. Now I understand why the elites have such a low opinion of the people and the clever manner in which they manipulate the witless masses into signing off on their agenda.

catdd
03-03-2010, 11:05 AM
By the same token, isn't the government a reflection of the people? When I hear these boomers lamenting over their medicare and social security, I want to throw something through my tv set. Now I understand why the elites have such a low opinion of the people and the clever manner in which they manipulate the witless masses into signing off on their agenda.

Yeah, the best thing to do is throw something through the tv.

coyote_sprit
03-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Yeah, the best thing to do is throw something through the tv.

I throw stuff at the tv but I've yet to penetrate both sites of it.

Stary Hickory
03-03-2010, 11:14 AM
I have a hard time believeing the validity of this poll. Looks very propgandistic, and it will not be consistent with what is going to happen in Nov or what is happening right now before our very eyes.