PDA

View Full Version : Political Analyst bashes Ron Paul HARD

Taco John
10-08-2007, 01:30 AM
“There are two different types of long shots,” said Larry Sabato, director of the University of Virginia’s Center for Politics. “There are people who are clearly unqualified to be president — candidates like Ron Paul or (California congressman) Duncan Hunter on the Republican side and somebody like (Ohio congressman) Dennis Kucinich on the Democratic side.

“And then there is a second type — somebody who is clearly qualified but who is not seen as having a good chance of winning, people like (U.S. senator from Connecticut) Chris Dodd, Joe Biden and (former Wisconsin governor and Bush cabinet member) Tommy Thompson before he got out.

“Is it a completely fair designation? Probably not.”

http://www.thestate.com/presidential-politics/story/194498.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one of the most unfair takes I've seen yet. It's getting ugly out there. We need to let this guy know that we disagree with his opinion, and remind him that politics is a participatory process. Last I checked, none of us hand over our voter registration cards to Zogby and sit at home waiting for a phone call. Polling numbers only show who was willing to plunge a button to pick a candidate from a line-up. What polling doesn't do is measure motivation.

We need to show this man, in an assertive, yet friendly way, that Dr. Paul has motivated supporters who believe not only that Dr. Paul is qualified, but that he's the MOST qualified.

Send letters, call him up, and send him emails... We need to flood his office with signs of support for Dr. Paul. This man makes his living on politics and is often a go-to guy for political commentary. We need to let him know we're out here.

Center for Politics
2400 Old Ivy Road
P.O. Box 400806
Charlottesville, VA 22904

Tel: 434.243.8468
sabato@virginia.edu

buffalokid777
10-08-2007, 01:34 AM
WAYNE WASHINGTON?

Anyone got the links to the CFR membership?

He's gotta be a Council On Foreign Relations Member or someone who works for the CFR as an aide or something else...

That's the CFR response......

Globalist to the core.

If he works for the CFR, he's a hack, can't believe they are hiring such lowbrow hacks if this is the case........

Cindy
10-08-2007, 01:37 AM
Too bad there is nowhere to post comments to that under it, nor an e-mail the author link.

Paul not qualified? He knows the law of the land and role of the president BETTER than any other candidate. He understand economics and domestic and foriegn policy issues down to the fundamental basics better then anyone else.

He is the most qualified.

Perhaps in this day and age of political corruption and deciept to the American people, honesty and integrity is what disqualifies to become President of the U.S.A.

That article is ignorant rubbish.

Corydoras
10-08-2007, 01:39 AM
“Is it a completely fair designation? Probably not.”

Just remember, when you write, that he said this.

I say do write to him. (Politely.)

Larry Sabato has been around for decades, and the major media ALWAYS goes to him for opinions about the elections, and he IS important.

Ron Paul Fan
10-08-2007, 01:44 AM
He didn't even say why Paul isn't qualified. I don't like this article one bit and frankly, I think Mr. Washington is clearly unqualified to be writing articles in a newspaper.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-08-2007, 03:40 AM
funny... Chris Dodd? The same guy that wants to force every American to do community service?

fj45lvr
10-08-2007, 04:02 AM
I suppose this guy does this kind of thing for free??

Here is something interesting I found that correlates from the Perspective of Thomas Jefferson (from his famous "liberty tree" letter)

What we have lately read in the history of Holland, in the chapter
on the Stadtholder, would have sufficed to set me against a chief
magistrate eligible for a long duration, if I had ever been disposed
towards one: & what we have always read of the elections of Polish
kings should have forever excluded the idea of one continuable for
life. Wonderful is the effect of impudent & persevering lying. The
British ministry have so long hired their gazetteers to repeat and
model into every form lies about our being in anarchy, that the world
has at length believed them, the English nation has believed them, the
ministers themselves have come to believe them, & what is more
wonderful, we have believed them ourselves.
Yet where does this anarchy exist? Where did it ever exist, except
in the single instance of Massachusetts? And can history produce an
instance of rebellion so honourably conducted? I say nothing of it's
motives. They were founded in ignorance, not wickedness. God forbid
we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people
cannot be all, & always, well informed. The part which is wrong will
be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they
misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is
lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. We have had
thirteen states independent eleven years. There has been one
rebellion. That comes to one rebellion in a century & a half for each
state. What country before ever existed a century & a half without a
rebellion? & what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers
are not warned from time to time that his people preserve the spirit
of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right
as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives
lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from
time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its
natural manure.

Our Convention has been too much impressed by the insurrection of
Massachusetts: and in the spur of the moment they are setting up a
kite to keep the hen-yard in order. I hope in God this article will
be rectified before the new constitution is accepted. --You ask me if
any thing transpires here on the subject of S. America? Not a word.
I know that there are combustible materials there, and that they wait
the torch only. But this country [France] probably will join the
extinguishers. --The want of facts worth communicating to you has
occasioned me to give a little loose to dissertation. We must be
contented to amuse, when we cannot inform. Present my respects to
Mrs. Smith, and be assured of the sincere esteem of, dear Sir, your
friend and servant."

lasenorita
10-08-2007, 04:08 AM
Don't overlook that the person who actually put forth the statement that Ron Paul was "unqualified" was Larry Sabato (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Sabato).

According to him (back in June):

"Everybody knows [Ron Paul]'s not going to be the nominee, or even make a decent showing," said Larry Sabato, director of the University of Virginia's Center for Politics. "But politics is partly about the power of ideas."

He's free to have his own 'expert' opinion, of course. I'm actually more interested to know how he's come to the conclusion that Ron Paul is 'clearly unqualified'.

Ozwest
10-08-2007, 04:09 AM
This is only going to get worse. Fight back, and fight back hard. Keep it clean but mean. No malingerers here.

fj45lvr
10-08-2007, 04:24 AM
don't forget that this guy is the same guy who wants to have a constitutional convention to come up with "A more perfect constitution" as outlined in his recent book of that name.

You can clearly see that he is not ever going to be on the same page as Paul....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_More_Perfect_Constitution

TruckinMike
10-08-2007, 04:42 AM
Tommy Thompson is the veri-chip King!

Check out this Youtube clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiLixwNkur8

And you will notice how strong they push the chip for safety...in case of terrorist attack:eek: :eek:

Truckinmike

sunny
10-08-2007, 04:51 AM
WAYNE WASHINGTON?

Anyone got the links to the CFR membership?
He's gotta be a Council On Foreign Relations Member or someone who works for the CFR as an aide or something else...
That's the CFR response......
Globalist to the core.
If he works for the CFR, he's a hack, can't believe they are hiring such lowbrow hacks if this is the case........

www.stopthenorthamericanunion.com is one site which lists cfr members - here's the link:
http://www.stopthenorthamericanunion.com/CFRMembers.html

i looked he's not on it...

Taco John
10-08-2007, 09:11 AM
I just want to bump this thread for the morning crew... We really need to show this guy the strength of Dr. Paul's grass roots.

JoshLowry
10-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Link doesn't work anymore?

Was the story removed?

Taco John
10-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Interesting... They changed the story slightly and added a new sidebar. I updated the link.

Joe Knows
10-08-2007, 09:33 AM
He didn't even say why Paul isn't qualified. I don't like this article one bit and frankly, I think Mr. Washington is clearly unqualified to be writing articles in a newspaper.

I guess the writer is insinuating that Ron Paul is under 35 and not an American citizen.

WillInMiami
10-08-2007, 09:43 AM
I just left this douche-bag a message telling him that it was a hack hit-piece and I look forward to his retraction explaining how he got it so wrong when Ron Paul wins the nomination and general election. I left my number but I doubt he'll return the call.

I didn't rant and rave. I didn't curse. I did sound a bit angry but I was professional and (somewhat) polite.

Taco John
10-08-2007, 10:38 AM
We need to keep the pressure on this guy... Be polite, but don't be afraid to be assertive either.

Primbs
10-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Larry Sabato is a leftist. He has an agenda. Obviously he does not like freedom.

Thomas Jefferson would not be proud that Larry is teaching at UVA.

constituent
10-08-2007, 11:14 AM
::tilts chin up, chuckles to self and
sticks elbow a little further out that
open window::

mwkaufman
10-08-2007, 11:20 AM
universal national service

Because that is the kind of principle the founding fathers fought to protect.

Zydeco
10-08-2007, 12:16 PM
I e-mailed Sabato and he was very reasonable and kind. He said his quote was taken out of context, and that he was only trying to explain how the media puts candidates into tiers, not that he necessarily approves of it.

Here is his answer which he said I could distribute freely:

"I am glad you (and one other person) brought this article to my attention. That comment is taken out of context. The reporter and I were discussing how the NEWS MEDIA categorizes candidates as “serious” and “unserious”, or “qualified” and “unqualified”, or “frontrunner” and “long-shot/also-ran”. They do this every four years. The third paragraph of my quote shows that I thought this was not always fair. Then I brought up Jimmy Carter to prove the point (quoted later in the story). He was dismissed as a long-shot in ’76, and ended up winning.

The Constitution says that to be qualified for President, one must be a natural-born citizen and at least 35 years of age. Period. Full stop. Once you meet those qualifications, and file your candidacy according to the law, it is then up to the voters participating in party primaries and caucuses to make the determination of “most qualified”."

So maybe we need to focus on the writer of the article, not Mr. Sabato.

Delivered4000
10-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Who is he to decide who's qualified and who isn't? ROFL

Corydoras
10-08-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm impressed Sabato wrote back, and so quickly. His responsiveness and politeness must be one reason why all the media go to him for election analysis.

Primbs
10-08-2007, 12:26 PM
There is an active libertarian contingent at UVA, the university that Thomas Jefferson designed. I am sure there is a large Ron Paul group on campus and may not want to offend them as well.

bbachtung
10-08-2007, 01:25 PM
So, Larry Sabato turns out to be a class act. Alright, but that doesn't justify sending flowers.